Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Should hate be a crime?

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Should hate be a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Poor quality OP with non sequiturs and strawmen? We need a "worst thread of the fortnight" comp for this stuff.

Flaming troll is flaming. Selective quoting is as weaksauce trolling as it gets.

Weaksauce argument dies from its own inability to breathe.

Most "hatecrime laws" (a lazy shorthand because politicians) are laws against incitement to act violently. That's not a feeling, its an action.
    That does not appear to be the standard in Australia.

Section 18C of the RDA makes it is unlawful for a person to do an act in public if it is reasonably likely to "offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate" a person of a certain race, colour or national or ethnic origin, and the act was done because of one or more of those characteristics.[10][11]

Exemptions are provided in section 18D, including acts relating to artistic works, genuine academic or scientific purposes, fair reporting, and fair comment on matters of public interest.
    Wikipedia cited numerous example of people just stating opinions, not calling for some imminent violent action, and then being prosecuted

I would rather we deal honestly and openly with opinions and ideas which we disagree, bringing to the light of day so they can be examined so we can determine the reasons and motivations for it without fear. Hate speech laws encourage the opposite. It shuts down debate and victory goes to the side that accuses the other of hate first.

In the case of Jerusalem, it may be fairly argued that Jerusalem shouldn't be the capital because of all the baggage of the Palestine-Israel conflict. It is also true that plenty of people who simply hate Jews would say Jerusalem should not be Israel's capital. If hating Jews is a crime then I don't need to listen to any argument. I can criminalize everyone who disagrees.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; March 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

"Should hate be a crime?"

Personally, the answer is "absolutely not!" If the answer is supposedly "yes" - then its just a matter of
    time before we end up with "Thoughtcrime! Thoughtcrime! Thoughtcrime!" ...Actions can be criminal -
    thoughts and opinions should never be - regardless of anything. That's my take.

- A

I belive that the concept of hate crime is an inherit contradiction of liberalism and equality. I am not an expert with non-American legislation or cultural sensitivities, but I do find that the western world shares a common consciousness regarding values and the application of law. When a crime is perpetrated against someone we have an apolitical classification for it. This tier-based punishment is, or rather should be, applied universally with no consideration to gender, race, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. This is what makes the justice system blind and thus as close to fair as we can get. The moment that the identify of the victim warrants a higher punishment then this system becomes at odds with itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I belive that the concept of hate crime is an inherit contradiction of liberalism and equality. I am not an expert with non-American legislation or cultural sensitivities, but I do find that the western world shares a common consciousness regarding values and the application of law. When a crime is perpetrated against someone we have an apolitical classification for it. This tier-based punishment is, or rather should be, applied universally with no consideration to gender, race, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. This is what makes the justice system blind and thus as close to fair as we can get. The moment that the identify of the victim warrants a higher punishment then this system becomes at odds with itself.
    I apologize for the double post. I could not figure out how to edit.

Regarding hate as a crime, absolutely not. This would be an irreversible challenge to the foundation of society. People have every right to feel the most abhorrent ways about any issue one can imagine. Provided there is not a call to violence or an attempt to restrict the rights of others, then nothing beyond mockery should be levied at them.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

By itself probably not it to nebulous. I can loath a hate my neighbor all I want for whatever reason but as I but you can't really make that a crime till I act on that hate. I would say it should be a sentencing criteria. If white supremists lynch a black man I think obvious racial hated and aim at terrorizing others would be reason to say this is not the same a shooting a clerk in during a bank robbery - both being planed crimes.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Without the anti-hate law called "civil right acts" KKK would still punished for hanging a black man on the next tree with 4 years on probe in lovely Mississippi...
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/history/35...ights_act.html
    https://teachingamericanhistory.org/...s-act-of-1957/

Neither seem to mention "hate" or "KKK" or "hanging" or "black" or "man".

Because Mississippi officials refused to prosecute the killers for murder, a state crime, the federal government, led by prosecutor John Doar, charged 18 individuals under 18 U.S.C. §242 and §371 with conspiring to deprive the three activists of their civil rights (by murder).

18 USC § 242:

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...blic_attention

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) is a landmark civil rights and labor law in the United States that outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

Quote Originally Posted by Clodia_Metelli View Post
    Because Mississippi officials refused to prosecute the killers for murder, a state crime, the federal government, led by prosecutor John Doar, charged 18 individuals under 18 U.S.C. §242 and §371 with conspiring to deprive the three activists of their civil rights (by murder).

18 USC § 242:

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;
    Neither of which mention "hate", "KKK", "hanging", "black" or "man".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...blic_attention

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) is a landmark civil rights and labor law in the United States that outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964
    I already linked to the CRA of 1964.
    And as I said: "Neither seem to mention "hate" or "KKK" or "hanging" or "black" or "man".
    Calling it an "anti-hate law" is incorrect. It does not outlaw hate.

Nonsense.

A hate crime law is a law intended to deter bias-motivated violence.

Hate crime laws have a long history in the United States. The first hate crime[67] laws were passed after the American Civil War, beginning with the Civil Rights Act of 1871, to combat the growing number of racially motivated crimes being committed by the Reconstruction era Ku Klux Klan. The modern era of hate-crime legislation began in 1968 with the passage of federal statute, 18 U.S. 245, part of the Civil Rights Act which made it illegal to "by force or by threat of force, injure, intimidate, or interfere with anyone who is engaged in six specified protected activities, by reason of their race, color, religion, or national origin." However, "The prosecution of such crimes must be certified by the U.S. attorney general.".[68]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime#United_States

Nonsense.

A hate crime law is a law intended to deter bias-motivated violence.

Hate crime laws have a long history in the United States. The first hate crime[67] laws were passed after the American Civil War, beginning with the Civil Rights Act of 1871, to combat the growing number of racially motivated crimes being committed by the Reconstruction era Ku Klux Klan. The modern era of hate-crime legislation began in 1968 with the passage of federal statute, 18 U.S. 245, part of the Civil Rights Act which made it illegal to "by force or by threat of force, injure, intimidate, or interfere with anyone who is engaged in six specified protected activities, by reason of their race, color, religion, or national origin." However, "The prosecution of such crimes must be certified by the U.S. attorney general.".[68]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime#United_States
    Again, the Civil Rights Act does not outlaw hate. It does not mention hate. You can't outlaw an emotion.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    ... You can't outlaw an emotion.
    Of course you can! Its just not rational and reasonable to do so, that's all... But have
    such puny details ever stopped the unreasonable and irrational (people) from trying?

Nope, it has not!

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Again, the Civil Rights Act does not outlaw hate. It does not mention hate. You can't outlaw an emotion.
    Do you literally think he is talking about outlawing an emotion?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Do you literally think he is talking about outlawing an emotion?
    Obviously i'm not talking about emotions, but about crimes because of hate. Commonly known as Hate Crime laws. ^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 11, 2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added "hate"^^

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Can you show us where the CA 1964 introduces hate crime legislation?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

The Civil Rights Act of 1968 also enacted 18 U.S.C. § 245(b)(2), which permits federal prosecution of anyone who "willingly injures, intimidates or interferes with another person, or attempts to do so, by force because of the other person's race, color, religion or national origin"[19] because of the victim's attempt to engage in one of six types of federally protected activities, such as attending school, patronizing a public place/facility, applying for employment, acting as a juror in a state court or voting.
    Persons violating this law face a fine or imprisonment of up to one year, or both. If bodily injury results or if such acts of intimidation involve the use of firearms, explosives or fire, individuals can receive prison terms of up to 10 years, while crimes involving kidnapping, sexual assault, or murder can be punishable by life in prison or the death penalty.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_...I:_Hate_crimes

The Civil Rights Act of 1968 also enacted 18 U.S.C. § 245(b)(2), which permits federal prosecution of anyone who "willingly injures, intimidates or interferes with another person, or attempts to do so, by force because of the other person's race, color, religion or national origin"[19] because of the victim's attempt to engage in one of six types of federally protected activities, such as attending school, patronizing a public place/facility, applying for employment, acting as a juror in a state court or voting.
    Persons violating this law face a fine or imprisonment of up to one year, or both. If bodily injury results or if such acts of intimidation involve the use of firearms, explosives or fire, individuals can receive prison terms of up to 10 years, while crimes involving kidnapping, sexual assault, or murder can be punishable by life in prison or the death penalty.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_...I:_Hate_crimes
    The quote on the Wikipedia page is wrong in that it rearranges the words so that they appear to apply to something broader than it does. In actuality, it only apples to the use of force or threat of force (full text). Consequently, it's inapplicable to the topic of the thread as outlined by the OP, which refers to the criminalization of verbal and written expressions of hate (or whatever is deemed to be such). In fact, all of what the OP refers to, whether legitimately hateful or not, is considered protected speech under the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Quite the opposite of being outlawed, it is illegal for the government to interfere with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

And still the law system know two kinds of hate laws:

1. Hate crimes since 60s

2. Hate Speech Laws since 90ts (?)

I was referring the whole time to the first one and i was replying to this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    This is nonsense as it doesn't happened in the past, especially southern states of US.

If a white killed a black, he was not persecuted, as the Mississippi Incidents showed.

Thats the reason, why hate crime laws like the Civil Right Act were introduced.

And now the conservative mob can rant again and mix up hate speech laws and hate crime laws, i'm tired to explain this again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Sylva View Post
    And still the law system know two kinds of hate laws:

1. Hate crimes since 60s

2. Hate Speech Laws since 90ts (?)
    2. Not in the US:

Hate speech in the United States is not regulated, in contrast to that of most other liberal democracies.[1] The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that hate speech is legally protected free speech under the First Amendment. The most recent Supreme Court case on the issue was in 2017, when the justices unanimously reaffirmed that there is effectively no "hate speech" exception to the free speech rights protected by the First Amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Sylva View Post
    I was referring the whole time to the first one and i was replying to this post
    I didn't catch that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456