Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gameplay Videos

Default Gameplay Videos

A bunch of gameplay videos appeared on YouTube. Apparently, CA had a bunch of people fly to San Fransisco to play the first 30 turns of the game. The videos show quite a lot of details about campaign map and the battles. Watching them will likely answer a lot of your questions.

Many A True Nerd:

Invicta:

Angry Tom:

Turin:

GameSpot:

PartyElite:

milkandcookiesTW:

HeirofCarthage:

lionheartx10:
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; January 26, 2019 at 03:34 AM. Reason: adding an other video
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: Gameplay Videos

This one is pretty interesting. One large siege battle, full stack on full stack, small city. 12 minutes of unbroken battle gameplay.

Zerkovich:

Last edited by zoner16; January 25, 2019 at 01:55 AM.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

[N2]Kami's Avatar Semisalis

I do hope they will change the unit cards design, or adding more color to them.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Nothing about the Records version yet. I'm beginning to think it's a practical joke.

These battles just seem boring and buggy with weird looking animations/interactions. Small armies, small number of soldiers per unit, imaginary missle ranges, grappling hooks again. Seems like they've wasted all their battle dev time with super heroes, martial arts BS. I'm out.

This is my impression from watching the videos.

Most of the complaints in regard of battle animations of units from Sun Ren Ambush stays, it seems to have less features than previous games (Shogun, Rome) and more gimmicks, they seem to cut or focus content for specific audience in hope they replicate success using elements of some previous games (Warhammer style of combat in cutting most of the vs troop matched animations or shorter sync kills) and adding less costing mechanics to create facade of refreshed series.

Speedy combat is still the thing ,though sieges could be better here.

Units look only like extras even with their ugly unit cards all the spotlight is on heroes and that is what I dislike the most .

40 days to release they can't improve much and there isn't much difference from August 2018 video.
    Last edited by kelembribor21; January 25, 2019 at 09:59 AM.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Are these the final unit cards though? I hope not.

Campaign looks pretty good, finally some things we had a decade ago are coming back, with many new options. UI looks superb.

But after watching more battles, I reaffirm my disappointment. It's blazing fast, and with these crazy heroes, it seems there are no tactics at all. In all these videos, I have not seen a hero die or be threatened by normal units. Yes, they are low level, but so are heroes. It's all about them getting stuck in and killing 100 men in 1 minute. It's straightforward and linear, like ToB+Warhammer, only in Warhammer heroes could actually get hurt if you overdo it.
    Colors seems strangely washed out, but that could be due to the video recording methods and compression.

Sieges are useless, what good are the walls if everyone can scale them? AI doesn't defend walls, but I did see a nice retreat to the inner citadel two times.

All in all, it will probably be a forgettable game in vanilla, but could be really good after a few mods which will slow things down and make it a proper tactical game.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinarius View Post
    But after watching more battles, I reaffirm my disappointment. It's blazing fast, and with these crazy heroes, it seems there are no tactics at all. In all these videos, I have not seen a hero die or be threatened by normal units. Yes, they are low level, but so are heroes. It's all about them getting stuck in and killing 100 men in 1 minute. It's straightforward and linear, like ToB+Warhammer, only in Warhammer heroes could actually get hurt if you overdo it.
    I'm not a fan of the single-entity heroes (and probably will play almost exclusively Records mode), but it was confirmed that the heroes were deliberately overpowered for this build so that the press people didn't have to learn any tactics and could breeze through battles. Basically all the youtubers complained about OP heroes and battle length, so I think the message got across.

They said that Classic mode battle gameplay is coming soon (next week maybe?), so hopefully we get some videos to properly dissect about that .

Colors seems strangely washed out, but that could be due to the video recording methods and compression.
    Partially, but I think the saturation is partly to blame. The way it interacts with the bright lighting in sunny battles makes the colors look off, especially on the Yellow Turban clothing and the faces. We'll see what it looks like after they turn down the saturation (which they said they'd do)

Sieges are useless, what good are the walls if everyone can scale them? AI doesn't defend walls, but I did see a nice retreat to the inner citadel two times.
    Same thing they were in Shogun 2 and Empire. It restricts the amount of a unit that can fight the defenders, puts them in a disadvantageous position at the top, breaks up formations, and exposes the attackers to even more ranged fire while they climb/wait to climb. I don't think there's anything wrong with everyone being able to climb the walls, but they really need to take a morale+fatigue hit if they do. I think Zergovich said they're supposed to be taking a fatigue hit, but I didn't see it come up on the tooltip.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Added lionheartx10's video. It's perhaps the most detailed one.
    The Armenian Issue

zoner16, that is a lot off assumptions. All of it sounds reasonable, but I'm just not so sure that CA is willing to make all those changes. History teaches us they actually deliver less than they show (ex. Carthage map in Rome 2).

My only wish is that allow the modders to fix the balance for us grognards.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

I have mixed feelings about these videos. I saw some good and bad things. It is a pity all the preview turned out to be identical.

I admit I have a deep suspicion regarding the Youtuber involved. I can not ignore how they previously covered Thrones of Britannia with infamous lack of transparency. Only Legend of Total War and Pixelated Apollo proved to be honest. CA embargoed them ever since for this reason.

I fear that as they did with Thrones of Britannia, these Youtubers have taken at heart to work as defacto marketing staff rather than genuine YouTube reviewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinarius View Post
    zoner16, that is a lot off assumptions. All of it sounds reasonable, but I'm just not so sure that CA is willing to make all those changes. History teaches us they actually deliver less than they show (ex. Carthage map in Rome 2).
    I don't see why they wouldn't. They're pretty simple changes to make.

I can't deny that there's past history that teaches us to be skeptical of statements made to press, but recent releases (Warhammer, Thrones) have been pretty good about being what was advertised in pre-release footage and statements (minus bugs, of course), so I wouldn't say the statements are valueless. I just wanted to let you know that there were stated reasons for some of what we saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    I admit I have a deep suspicion regarding the Youtuber involved. I can not ignore how they previously covered Thrones of Britannia with infamous lack of transparency.
    What lack of transparency? I remember JackieFish, PartyElite, and Indypride all talking about several things they didn't like about the game.

Only Legend of Total War and Pixelated Apollo proved to be honest. CA embargoed them ever since for this reason.
    PA hasn't been blacklisted to my knowledge. He was still invited to the last press event for 3K well after he put out his negative thoughts on Thrones and was really positive towards what he played. He's been going through some RL stuff right now, so maybe that's why he wasn't on this one.
    Last edited by zoner16; January 26, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Ask me a question!

Here is one more video , it is in Spanish but it has pretty map and some nice close ups.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Thanks for this. This one is really helpful for looking at combat specifics.

Lol at the floating hay bales and farmhouses. Something to keep an eye on in the future to see if they fix or not.

Still having issues with the knockback on charges I see. Halberd militia shouldn't be throwing people five feet in the air. It only seems to happen when charging braced units for some reason. It didn't happen when both units were charging each other.

The air-striking weirdness seems to be partly the fact that some units aren't facing each other when they do it, and partly that the weapon length isn't properly informing the animation of when it's supposed to play or not. Too many polearms are stabbing from too far away or too close while they'll sometimes they'll hack to the side of whatever they're supposed to be attacking.

I like that the AI is offering a defense in depth, but it gives up on the outside way too easily and changes its mind way too quickly. It still definitely had a chance at the entrance to the village while the towers were around and shouldn't have begun falling back the moment their archers lost the ranged duel. Later in the video, the Yellow Turban army under siege had clearly given up the walls when it had more than enough troops to hold them milling around the streets, much like the other sieges we've seen. It also does that thing where it charges a unit out, only to attempt to pull them back at the last second.
    Last edited by zoner16; January 27, 2019 at 03:08 AM.
    Ask me a question!

The air-striking animation is bound to happen without a matched combat mechanism. It's a trade-off that we have seen in older games.
    The Armenian Issue

Yeah, one thing I noticed was that the AI, while it's cool that they understand the concept of a tactical retreat in sieges, gives up on the walls WAY too easily. They basically start retreating on contact, and in some videos don't even bother defending the walls at all seemingly. And then these tactical retreats quickly become real ones as they don't understand the concept of leaving a unit behind to hold back the enemy so while they run your units can basically start nipping at their ankles and either heavily damaging them if not outright routing them.

Is there any reason why matched combat have been removed ? Any explanation from CA ? I thought it was absent from Warhammer due to cost with the multiples monsters of the game. In ToB matched combat was back by simply using Rome 2 and Attila assets.

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    What lack of transparency? I remember JackieFish, PartyElite, and Indypride all talking about several things they didn't like about the game.
    I do not remember so. I remember Legend of Total War was the only one who spoke about missing features. Which is why his review appeared everywhere.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; January 27, 2019 at 05:58 AM.

Throb was based on Attila, so it was easy to implement the same animations. On the contrary, Three Kingdoms is closer to Warhammer, so adding new animations was probably deemed to costly. To be honest, animations always left me rather uninterested, while, in Rome II, were responsible for ruining the tactical aspect of the battles, so I'm not going to complain. Aesthetics are not a priority for me, in general, so the boring unit cards or the red/green banners do not worry me much. On the other hand, the duels look comically cheesy, so I sincerely hope that the historical mode is ready on launch (its prolonged absence seems very suspicious) and completely removes that aspect totally alien to Total War philosophy. In what concerns my impressions, I really liked the Guanxi system, whose feudal undertones I find much more realistic than the "undercover MI6 agent" spy mechanics. They are not perfect (Liu Bei accumulating "unity", in an obvious imitation of unique Warhammer resources, looked quite absurd), but they are a crucial step towards the right direction. Unfortunately, the post-Empire backwardness persists (limited building slots, disappearance of in-depth economy and distance-to-capital mechanic, downgrade of the trait system to RPG leveling etc.), while the unit size is unacceptably small. Meanwhile, with my average laptop, I'm perfectly capable of fighting Napoleonic battles with more than 4.000 soldiers on each side.
    I do not remember so. I remember Legend of Total War was the only one who spoke about missing features. Which is why his review appeared everywhere.
    There is no doubt that the relationship between Creative Assembly and amateur YOUTUBE reviewers is not equal. The latter are dependent on the former, in order to produce unique content that can attract more subscribers. Moreover, we should always remember that these videos are subject to censorship, because they firstly need to be approved by the company's marketing department, before they become available to the public. Legend was blacklisted, who was indeed the first to underline Throb's most glaring issues, mainly because the employee who gave him the green light hadn't actually checked his video. Personally, I am more frustrated with the embargo against Darren, to whom they initially promised to give access to demos, before they reneged on the deal, despite Darren returning a copy of Warhammer II he had accidentally received. I'm not claiming that the reviews are dishonest or absolutely misleading, but many of them are positively predisposed to the games they evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    Yeah, one thing I noticed was that the AI, while it's cool that they understand the concept of a tactical retreat in sieges, gives up on the walls WAY too easily. They basically start retreating on contact, and in some videos don't even bother defending the walls at all seemingly. And then these tactical retreats quickly become real ones as they don't understand the concept of leaving a unit behind to hold back the enemy so while they run your units can basically start nipping at their ankles and either heavily damaging them if not outright routing them.
    Maybe the overpowered heroes influenced the AI decision? It probably compares the stats to decide whether to hold or retreat, and if those are over the top, it will look as it does.

And here I am, justifying the CA instead of judging upon what I saw and have a reasonable suspicion about (based on previous games). If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Is there any reason why matched combat have been removed ? Any explanation from CA ? I thought it was absent from Warhammer due to cost with the multiples monsters of the game. In ToB matched combat was back by simply using Rome 2 and Attila assets.
    A lot of people across the internet complained that the matched combat on regular units made battles screwy. They put all of the mocap and synced animations into duels instead.

I think the only thing Legend talked about that noone else did was the removal of agents. Most everyone else was talking about things they didn't like in other aspects, mostly battles. I remember hearing a lot of complaints about the removal of negotiated trade deals and ambush stance from PartyElite. Indypride mostly focused on the fact that battles were underwhelming and very samey.

His review appeared everywhere because it was by far the most extensive (most everyone else made a really short video, usually summed up as 'meh'), as he really, reallydidn't like it and entitled it "Total War Veterans Matter" in order to kick up a storm of 'veterans' vs everyone else.
    Last edited by zoner16; January 27, 2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Ask me a question!

The removal of agents was announced by the devs themselves. The removal of trade agreement too. But none except Legend talked about the removal of ambush, edicts, army traditions, etc.

His video was largely shared precisely because he listed methodically all the features that were removed while other Youtubers *conveniently forgot to mention any of this and just repeated Jack Lusted talking point in officials CA videos.

I was particularly shocked about the removal of ambush because it is a feature I like a lot as implemented in Rome 2. Also people were very angry about it as it felt as a new rip-off after CA had gutted siege battles in Warhammer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast