Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How to increase general's unit bodyguard?

Default [SOLVED] How to increase general's unit bodyguard?

Hi all!

I'm loosing my damn mind right now. Trying to figure out how the hell is it possible to edit a unit to increase the number of men in it (want my generals to have 80 men) and the range of fire of my matchlock. I keep searching in here and google and it always bring up some garbage threads that has nothing to do with what I want. I looked up some tutorials and not many ARE tutorial by which i mean they all take for granted that we know things that we actually do not. Too many words and freaking abbreviation that makes no sense and no explanation as to how to get to there or here. It's rather simple what I want and I just can't get around why it is so complicated to do it after hours of searching. I've mod M2TW a lot, but S2TW is just a pain in the ass.

So any hints as to how to do this will be VERY appreciated. If people are to throw some tutorials at me, just make sure they are tutorials that explains everything, from A to Z, otherwise it will be a waste of time.

Note that in my data folder I have no files that are named Patch, so maybe I need a clean install first?

Anyway, thanks to all and have a great day!

Bye

P.S. If I sound aggressive, it's because I lost my job today, I'm trying to have fun and it's not working.

Default Re: Quick question, asked about a 10000x and still no damn straight and intelligible answers

Hello. I am assuming you do not know and I will explain everything. If you want to mod S2TW you will need packfilemanager (search it on google and get it from first link). Extract it and install.
    You need to set the game folder in gamedirs.txt file for exemple STW;D:\Games\Total War - SHOGUN 2 (or for steam D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2) and save.

Open packfilemanager.exe click Game and make sure you have selected STW from the list.
    Now click file new. You will get an untitled.pack on the left collumn. Right click on the white space and choose add from pack. Go to the game folder and in Data folder choose data.pack and click open.
    You will get a new window packbrowsedialog. Clicik on the + near data to expand it. go to db and click + to expand db. Scroll down to unit_stats_land_tables and right click on it to add it. You will get a message on the bottom of the window telling you that it was added. Now close the window.

You will see that on the left, the directory unit_stats_land_tables is added. click under it on unit_stats_land. A table will appear on the right side with all the units. Click on Key so it will arrange the table alphabetically so you can search the unit easier.

For general unit the unit names are: for FOTS Boshin_Gen_Generals_Bodyguard; Boshin_Gen_Generals_Hatamoto Boshin_Gen_Saigo_Takamori; on the Next collumn you have the number of men. Change the number to 80 or how many you want. Also change the number of Horse. Because it is a cavalry unit. (men and horse need to be the same)

For sengoku units it is Gen_Taisho; and all the Gen_ and different names(those are the daimyos)
    ex Gen_Oda_Nobunaga. Change all from 40 men to 80 and horse from 40 to 80

After you made the changes click file Save as and choose a name for your mod. Make sure you save it to the Data folder.

You will need to have unit size set to Ultra in-game to see these numbers for men in the units.
    Last edited by sorinel1991; January 25, 2019 at 03:57 AM.

Default Re: Quick question, asked about a 10000x and still no damn straight and intelligible answers

For matchlock fire range.

Do the same. Click on the white space on the left and add--> from pack and Open Data.pack
    expand data--->db---> and go to projectile_tables Right click on it to add it. Close window

Select projectiles from projectiles_tables directory. In the table on the right find shogun_matchlock and shogun_hero_matchlock . Scroll side way to the Effective_range column . Change the number from 100 to what range you want. Do the same for both Shogun_hero_matchlock and shogun_matchlock.

After you modified what you want in the table. Click file-->save as--->choose name and save it to data folder.

Load all mods from mod manager.

Thanks for your time mate. I was wondering, since I have some mod installed, must i create my own mod or should I edit a mod that i have that already modify units? Thanks again.

And I have the Pack File Manager, but i dont see any gamedirs.txt.

And also, sorry for the repeated post, but when I open the Pack File, there's no option for "Game" so maybe I have an older version? I have the PFM 1.6.5 Beta found here on TWC.

EDIT : I checked and found out that I have the wrong version.
    Last edited by R.P. Gryphus; January 25, 2019 at 06:31 AM.

Well it works for the range of my matchlock, but my generals still only have 40 men.

It is better to use Rusted Pack File Manager (much more stable): link.
    1. Download the tool
    Click to view content: 

and extract the file somewhere (for example on desktop, Documents, etc...). You need 7zip to extract the file (you can google 7zip and download and install the file).
    2. Run the file (.exe)
    Click to view content: 

First we need to add the path of your Shogun 2 installation (By default it's installed on your C drive: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2).
    3. To do that, we click on Packfile
    Click to view content: 

4. This will open a submenu, now need to click on preferences and we add or specify the path of Shogun 2 (where Shogun 2 is installed on your HD drive)
    Click to view content: 

I also made the Default Game Shogun 2. But it's not obligated.
    When finished, save the changes.
    4. Now, we go first to add extra manpower to some units (in your case the General unit). But the best way to do that is to create our own mod file. Because otherwise we need to overwrite the vanilla data.pack file (not a good idea).
    To do that we click on Packfile again and in the submenu, we click on New Packfile.
    This will create an unknown packfile and we use this unknown packfile to store the modded data
    Click to view content: 

5. We can rename it by saving the file. We go back to Packfile and in the submenu we choose Save As
    Click to view content: 

Choose where to save it (for example Desktop, etc...), you can also rename it to for example my_mod.pack
    Click to view content: 

Save it and in the Rusted Pack File Manager, you will see your modded packfile
    Click to view content: 

6. Now we need to add the data to add more units (men) to a specific unit. We do this by adding a db file at our own modded packfile. Right click on your modded packfile (in this case my_mod.pack) and this open a submenu. Go to Add => Add from Packfile. This will popup a menu, where we need to specify the pack file that we want to extract info from. Browse to the installation folder of your Shogun 2 folder and we need to open the data folder where all the game packfiles are (Usually found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2\data) and there we choose the data.pack file to extract info to our own modded pack file
    Click to view content: 

Now in the Rusted Pack File Manager, you find the data.pack on the right menu
    Click to view content: 

7. Let us now extract the data that we need for adding more men to a specific unit. We do that by clicking on the arrow of the data.pack icon, this will open the subfolders of the data.pack. Look for db => units_stats_land_tables => unit_stats_land. Double click on unit_stats_land (this will add the file on your modded packfile) and for projectiles_tables => projectiles. Double click on the files to add the files to your mod pack
    Click to view content: 
    Save your modded pack file (Packfile => Save Packfile). Than we exit the data.pack (Exit 'Add from Packfile' Mode)
    Click to view content: 

8. Let us now add menpower to the specific unit. Go to unit_stats_land and this will open the units info of the game. Add more men on the Men row (All Generals Bodyguards units start with the Gen prefix. So in this example, i add more men to the generals unit of the Fall of the Samurai game, Boshin_Gen.....Also, every unit that has horses, or mounted units, have to have the same amount of horses as men. So if you have 80 men, you also need to change the horses to 80
    Click to view content: 

All changes you make will be filled with the yellow color. After, you Save the modded packfile. Packfile => Save Packfile
    Click to view content: 

9. Now to adjust the range of a specific ranged weapon. We need to find first which projectile the specific unit uses. So inside unit_stats_land, we look for the row Default Missile Type (in this example we take boshin_officer_revolver)
    Click to view content: 

10. Now that we have the name of the projectile that the specific unit uses (in this example boshin_officer_revolver), we go to the projectiles_tables and click on projectiles. There we look for the specific name that we have in the unit_stats_land (boshin_officer_revolver
    Click to view content: 

We look for the row Effective Range and change the value (for example 70 to 90 (in metres)
    Click to view content: 

Than save the Packfile (Packfile => Save Packfile)
    Click to view content: 

11. Now exit the program (Rusted Pack File manager) and add your modded pack file (my_mod.pack) in the Shogun 2 data folder (By default found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War SHOGUN 2\data)
    Click to view content: 

12 Run the game and activate your modded pack file with modmanager
    Click to view content: 

13. That's it.

Thanks a lot for your time mate, but even with your method and tool, I can't add more men to my generals unit... I play with my setting at ultra, I already check if other of my mods edit the same table, but there isn't one. I don't understand. Maybe if I edit it direct in the data.pack it would work? As for the range of my Matchlock, it does work. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by FoggyFogFiggy View Post
    Thanks a lot for your time mate, but even with your method and tool, I can't add more men to my generals unit... I play with my setting at ultra, I already check if other of my mods edit the same table, but there isn't one. I don't understand. Maybe if I edit it direct in the data.pack it would work? As for the range of my Matchlock, it does work. Strange.
    By default, the vanilla game packs are only readable. Not savable (but you can change that). But it's better that you make a mod pack (it's safer to work with). If you follow the tutorial above, than it has to work. See that you don't have other mods that have the same db file that changes something of it.

Ok thanks for letting me know. I did follow the tutorial to the letter, I've even removed all other mod and still no effect can be seen in game, when I start a new campaign. Maybe you should try it? I sure don't know why it doesn't work. Could it be because of one of the general skills that increase the number of men in the unit? All I know is that it doesn't work.

Ok thanks for letting me know. I did follow the tutorial to the letter, I've even removed all other mod and still no effect can be seen in game, when I start a new campaign. Maybe you should try it? I sure don't know why it doesn't work. Could it be because of one of the general skills that increase the number of men in the unit? All I know is that it doesn't work.
    Have you seen any changes in a custom battle? Also, which unit have you changed (General unit of Shogun 2, Rots or Fots?).

Hello Izzi. No i did not see any change in custom battle since I'm only playing the campaign. And I've edit every general Taisho of Shogun 2 (not FOTS nor ROTS). :/

Hello Izzi. No i did not see any change in custom battle since I'm only playing the campaign. And I've edit every general Taisho of Shogun 2 (not FOTS nor ROTS). :/
    It is always good to test it first with a custom battle and than if it works, it normally works also when playing a campaign.

I already tested it in campaign several time and it definitely not working.

Maybe it does not load. Try to change the mod to a movie type. Open your mod and go to file-->change pack type--> and select movie. Save it and try again. This time the mod will not appear in the mod manager and will auto-load. Also disable all other mods to be sure it does not conflict with other mods. Or if it does not work like this. Try and edit a mod that you are using that changes the units. And make your changes to that mod. But save it with a different name do not overwrite it.

Try this 2 methods. It must work. Good luck!

Hello again!

Sorinel : I did just that and it still doesn't work. And your suggestion made me questioning what is the difference between movie and pack?

Izzi : You're right, the changes are taking effect in custom battle, but not in campaign, even with only my mod installed.

And again, I'm not using any other mod that touches this table...

I think it might be because of the skill tree of the generals, could it not? Could there be a way to add 100% increase of bodyguards to one of their first skills at the top of the tree?

Hello again!

Sorinel : I did just that and it still doesn't work. And your suggestion made me questioning what is the difference between movie and pack?

Izzi : You're right, the changes are taking effect in custom battle, but not in campaign, even with only my mod installed.

And again, I'm not using any other mod that touches this table...
    Did you play a new campaign or one that you played before the changes?

I always test with a new campaign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast