Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD: a Political Overhaul] PIGS Alpha_02 (DeI 1.2.5) [upd: jun.09/19]

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [Submod: a political overhaul] PIGS Beta_03 (for DeI 1.2.4a) - TESTERS NEEDED! [upd. feb.09/19]

And what about having this kind of pics for Intrigues' events? Better or worse than a fixed vanilla?
    They are not so good but I really don't think I'm gonna spend too much time for these things.
    I'll also change the texts for having the same coloured structures, similar to the other two features I posted lately.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; March 01, 2019 at 03:16 AM.

Default Re: [Submod: a political overhaul] PIGS Beta_03 (for DeI 1.2.4a) - TESTERS NEEDED! [upd. feb.09/19]

Not bad, surely looking different pal, go on !

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

This is very promising work Jake. General's Status feature is just the one I was hoping to see. Though I dont get the thing, do mental & physical conditions change completely random or can they get better or worse depending on players actions?

Also any luck with GEN_CND_FORCE_HAS_EFFECT_BUNDLE key? Waiting for your input on that to understand the use of it.

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

@Jake

A) I think i like better the event pics form #172 post the one with the white bugde. If you want you can pass me the psd or whatever files, to try and make variables of them ( exept if you want specific patterns )

b) Again, good job with the poliy outcomes. Thankfully all these variables will make sence for the player in the end.

C) Something else that bugs me for long time and i believe are on you moding field. 1st) when a king is on the capital a global trait applies. It is completely random? Cant this change by the course of actions? because i have a king that build an empire and has a "bad leader global trait" 2) When a king is general of an army an icon of ferns shown in his UI portrait. The effect though is something like "more area of infuence 5%" I would like to see more heavy changes on it ( unit moral bonus mostly ) . Id like to see the opponent king face me and know that it means serious. Now is just another general. What do you think? i know it is not the time since you are in deep waters with all those new mods so if you find time.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by valerius karamanus View Post
    This is very promising work Jake. General's Status feature is just the one I was hoping to see. Though I dont get the thing, do mental & physical conditions change completely random or can they get better or worse depending on players actions?
    Also any luck with GEN_CND_FORCE_HAS_EFFECT_BUNDLE key? Waiting for your input on that to understand the use of it.
    Thanks, status is just random, coming from dice rolls probability %, doing what you say is really much complex and could be done through traits (like the PM you sent me, but in this case you'll have to face the lua functions limitations) or through virtual points, which is a more complex system I'm planning for the people's trust overhaul. Virtual points requires an UI overwriting, so we can't adopt this system for everything.
    I know randomness is not the best choice, but is a good compromise to me, also it reflects things you cannot control in a good way, more or less.
    Videogmaes tend always to be a sort of power up + power up and so on, with randomness you'll have to adapt your choices, and not only waiting for the next power up.

GEN_CND_FORCE_HAS_EFFECT_BUNDLE: didn't check it yet, hope it works 'cause it will give the possibility for real dilemmas concerning a single character.

Quote Originally Posted by nikossaiz View Post
    @Jake

A) I think i like better the event pics form #172 post the one with the white bugde. If you want you can pass me the psd or whatever files, to try and make variables of them ( exept if you want specific patterns )

b) Again, good job with the poliy outcomes. Thankfully all these variables will make sence for the player in the end.

C) Something else that bugs me for long time and i believe are on you moding field. 1st) when a king is on the capital a global trait applies. It is completely random? Cant this change by the course of actions? because i have a king that build an empire and has a "bad leader global trait" 2) When a king is general of an army an icon of ferns shown in his UI portrait. The effect though is something like "more area of infuence 5%" I would like to see more heavy changes on it ( unit moral bonus mostly ) . Id like to see the opponent king face me and know that it means serious. Now is just another general. What do you think? i know it is not the time since you are in deep waters with all those new mods so if you find time.
    A) I agree, fact is I found the white image in internet and it has a good resolution, while Intrigues png are 50x50 pixels. I magnified them (200x200) thanks to a site but to have good quality it would need to redraw them, that's why I did #174 images this way.
    If you want to redraw Intrigues' png you're mostly welcomed, let me know.

B) hope so

C) 1) it's linked to traits, Litharion made a library for every effect, so rulers having good traits will be good faction leaders, and the opposite. It can't change through course of actions as it is now, think something could be done btw.
    I'm planning to use this system for others parties leaders too, something like an adminstrator effect when they are garrisoned (capital exception).

2) I tweaked it for Testudo and yes it can be changed the way we like, if you have some ideas, just share
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 25, 2019 at 04:49 AM.

If you want to redraw Intrigues' png you're mostly welcomed, let me know.
    i can give it a try for sure. I cant implement them in game but i definetely can make pngs and event pics. Just give me the resolutions and the title of what you would like me to make.

B) our prays are with you Jake

c) 1. Oh please, since 6/10 of my generals are sociopaths, ( even if the campaign gaining traits and actions could make some of them legendary leaders ) this permanent trait makes me kind of sad
    2. Yes, i knew it! i dont know the effects you add in testudo, if is something like better moral or more, suits me

Patrician

Here are vanilla's 50x50 pngs, I just edited the politcal promotion (very quickly) and the appoint field officer, all the others new ones come from unusued vanilla.
    If you can port them to 250x250 with a good pixel quality it would do the work.

You don't need to do ('cause they can't have incidents. If you have time do them anyway, they might be useful for something, dunno):
    - PIGS_Intr_03_appoint_field_commander
    - PIGS_Intr_014_increase_gravitas
    - PIGS_Intr_019_marriage
    - PIGS_Intr_021_usurp_legacy
    - PIGS_Intr_022_educate_child
    - PIGS_Intr_023_declare_heir

The backgrounds come from Attila (thx to Seleukos for sending me), here are the ones I choose yesterday, but they can be changed. That's not really important now. Just right cilck and save them if you want.
    I've put the Policy Outcomes logo too (taken from a free site).
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; March 13, 2019 at 11:24 AM.

ok, thanks Jake, i'll look them today!

Patrician

Thx to you

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Jake, you are producing these updates faster than I can read them...

A couple of thoughts off the bat;

- the eventpics from #172 with the white logo look indeed much better than those from #174

- both Obama-styled icons and policy outcome icons look gorgeous

- regarding the general's status; the effects are plenty, indeed, but that's obvioyusly your modding style that we totally accept; looking at those effects for D. Gabinius Dento in his adolescent age with slightly good morale and slightly bad physical status it is pretty clear to me that characters in this age group will rather be at disadvantage given how negative these effects are for just slightly bad physical status. Now, given the campaign dynamics with the early stage being more of a challenge and medium and late campaign more of a walk in the park, this would likely have a rarther undesirable effect of making the early campaign even more difficult with higher probability of negative effects from characters who at this stage will be mostly in their adolescent age, while the medium and late campaign would be rendered even easier with a host of postive effects from more mature characters. Have you thought about it, Jake? Another thing is that it will be difficult to make this age mechanics compatible with 12 TPY.

since the source files are 50x50 these are the results i come up with ( event pics are 380 x 214 px ), i cant say i like them very much. mostly descent. If you give me some time i can make the intigue event pics from scratch, from proper painting or something like that. either way i will send the resized icons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails field_officer.jpg   political promotion.jpg   political promotion b.jpg  

Patrician

@Seleukos:
    You're probably right, maybe it's better not to change all 3 status for every age range, this should solve the issue.
    Something like: between adoloscent and young only the Mental Status will change, Physical and Morale will be the the same, so we'll lower Adolescents' maluses. So on for others age ranges.
    Effectively, seems better this way. Dunno if I'll have time to change them for the first alpha, it's quite a long process, but it seems necessary nonetheless.

12 tpy: That's why I set every 5 years for Testudo, but I can't go back, otherwise the script will be extremely long. There is a way to script it differently, I'll have to try.

@nikos
    If we want something good but not difficult to do (like Policy Outcomes image) we'll need to redraw the Intrigues' icons, otherwise they'll always look quite crappy.
    Yours are surely better than mine, but still crappy style. Third one seems the better btw. If you don't want to redo pngs, I would take that way.
    Your choice to redo them or not.

Seleukos has quite right, but i dont see it necessarily as bad. You have make quite a mixture of random possibillities that can affect generals abilities. Age traits lets say are something of a canon. think if you concider to make them also for the AI...
    Combined with all the other submods, age of hellenism incuded, on hard the medium campaign isnt exactly a walkin in the park.

sadly you have right, it cant be better, the files are to small. I will draw them from the beggining, and maybe change them a little bit? ( i dont like "party meeting" for example ) exept if you dont want to change the indrigue icon also, so i will draw them almost indettical.

Something irrelevant. Can you also extract the trait icons from dresden new traits? are all the same, never change and you have to mouse hover them to see what level is your general. so if we simply wright the LV number on the traits cards wouldnt be better?

Patrician

You can change Intrigue's icons as you wish and then I can update the pack.
    Important is to have same icons for Intrigues and related incidents.
    Dunno yet if Intrigues will remain as they are, surely for quite some time they will be this way though.
    Maybe in future versions I'll change some, no more than a couple, dunno yet.

The trait thing is doable but I'll have to do scripts for every trait trigger, that's too much work and it will raise turn waitings more than the way I've done.
    I've chosen to work mostly on indipendent/new features, rather than modding existing ones.
    Better to keep General's Status as an Army effect.

You can change Intrigue's icons as you wish and then I can update the pack.
    perfect, i'll see what i can do.

Important is to have same icons for Intrigues and related incidents.
    Agree

Dunno yet if Intrigues will remain as they are, surely for quite some time they will be this way though.
    Maybe in future versions I'll change some, no more than a couple, dunno yet.
    I was mainly talking about the idrigues' icon solely. well, I dont like one or two indrigues as actions but the majority are well organized and usamble. Definetelly miles from vanilla one.

The trait thing is doable but I'll have to do scripts for every trait trigger, that's too much work and it will raise turn waitings more than the way I've done.
    I understand. the work part alone is offputting. If you make lite scripts, only to show the age of its general and the direct effect that has to him, not the other parametres with abillities etc like for the player. I personally will spend another half minute/turn for a feature like that.

rather than modding existing ones.
    Better to keep General's Status as an Army effect.
    ANd you obviously are very good at it. Anyway, i thought it as a general game iprovment.

ps: What do you think about the kings as a general attribute?

Just a quick one. its ok with the title?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails military asmin.jpg  
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; February 26, 2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Patrician

Title is useless, it's already in the event panel.
    Please, don't use sponged effects, I really hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    @Seleukos:
    You're probably right, maybe it's better not to change all 3 status for every age range, this should solve the issue.
    Something like: between adoloscent and young only the Mental Status will change, Physical and Morale will be the the same, so we'll lower Adolescents' maluses. So on for others age ranges.
    Effectively, seems better this way. Dunno if I'll have time to change them for the first alpha, it's quite a long process, but it seems necessary nonetheless.
    How about giving a flat minor bonus to young people's Physical status, a bigger one to Adults and a malus for older ones? (And so forth with the other two attributes).
    This way every stage of life will have is pros and shortcomings

p.s. Can I see the script? I'll be too busy at the moment to do something probably, but I'm curious

ooook. by sponged effects You mean the old paper texture of the gladius ?

Patrician

@ivan
    yeah, something like that may be better, I'll rework this part, using some excel functions might make changes quicker.

scripts are extremly simple and have same structure of the Intigues' one, but they are very very long (due to a lot of possibilities and effects).
    I'm quite sure they could be done similar to your people trust style.
    I didn't do this way yet 'cause I knew I would have lost more time since something surely wouldn't have been in the right place
    This is what I mean by people trust style
    Code:
    -- *** REMOVE EFFECT
    function AeF_03_econ_ResetEffects(faction_name)

for i = 1, #SEGMENT_LOWER_BOUNDS
        do
            local effect = "AeF_03_econ_" .. tostring(i);
            scripting.game_interface:remove_effect_bundle(effect, faction_name);
        end
    end

-- *** APPLY EFFECT
    function AeF_03_econ_ApplyEffects(faction_name)

local k = 1;
        for i = 1, #SEGMENT_LOWER_BOUNDS do
            if AeF_03_econ_trust >= SEGMENT_LOWER_BOUNDS[i] and AeF_03_econ_trust <= SEGMENT_UPPER_BOUNDS[i]
            then
                local effect = "AeF_03_econ_" .. tostring(k);
                scripting.game_interface:apply_effect_bundle(effect, faction_name, 2);
                segment = k
                return
            end
            k = k + 1;
        end
    end
    I have problems with randomseeds again, think also for the Intrigue script, seems the pattern is always the same, I'll have to do a couple of tests (that's why you'll find some math.random(1,1000); here and there).
    For Policy Outcomes I still have to do the turn function. Scripts is 99% similar to the Intrigues' one.

@nikos
    yep, that one, reminds me my grandma's wall paintings
    It's not easy to do something having a beautiful graphic, but if we stay inside the "easy way" I've done for the Policy Outcomes one think they'll be good enough.
    I can accept any style, but it has to be coherent and above all, not sponged.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; March 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM.

That's definitely too unnecessarily long and hard to modify d:

Whenever I'll find time I will try to make it shorter and more manageable