Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The host of the Vale

Default Re: The host of the Vale

Corlys closed eyes for a moment as well, trying to digest the truth he had so well concealed for many years. He knew both the lie and the act would anger Rhaenys beyond imagination, and after their children had died, he simply could not stomach the idea of hurting his wife more than she already was. He thought lies were a more acceptable truth and, leaving his wife in the dark, a necessary precaution to preserve their marriage. He had erred, for Corlys knew he was wrong, he should have repented and confessed, and the boys would have grown in High Tide, Velaryons to the bone. But, maybe, that had been for the best, they had been fostered among commoners, traders, sailors and merchants, they were honorable, loyal, witty, resourceful. Maybe, had they been raised in his court they could have become spoiled brats, good for nothings. But, that only the Gods knew.

"I kept the secret. I was wrong to do as much and I sincerely apologize, Rhaenys. I shouldn't have, but I'm weaker than you always were and I feared what the world could say or do"

He looked at Addam. The young man was feasting in the company of a dozen lordlings from the Vale, including a Hardying, a Waynwood and a Tollet, that much Corlys could tell from their heraldic devices. Alyn was nearby, and certainly he looked the spitting image of younger Sea Snake, despite they were not the same and Marilda's blood was in his. And he was speaking, or more accurately, flirting, with one of the maidservants.

"There are none other, I swear on the Old Gods and the New. If there have been other women they bore no fruit of their union, of they are far too removed from Westeros to ever be considered, and they were bed during my many travels, when both myself and the world were younger"

He openned both hands and placed them on the tabble, looking at his wife. Corlys felt his wife's pain and in turn, inflicted pain upon himself, for not being loyal and faithful to a wife so devoted.

"Marilda is the only one I've cheated you with, I swear. And she is not to trouble you, she won't ever cause any trouble to us, I beg not to seek retribution, for the boys' sakes"

The first peer of the realm couldn't beg, or at least shouldn't. But there's nothing one can do with a woman as Rhaenys but beg.

"My years on this earthly realm are counted, Rhaenys, I don't wish to be apart from you. Let us put the past behind us, no matter how storied or painful. I give you my heart, you can do with it as you please, but I beg you forgiveness"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post

"Wanton greed led the Hand and my half-brother to usurp my throne"

Said Rhaenyra. She always spoke of her bethren as half-siblings, never acknowledging a full-kindred.

"If the Reach does stand with us... Oldtown would be meaningless and the usurper would stand alone against more men and more dragons"

She smiled. Food and drinks were brought, Viserys filled Rhaenyra's cup, while Aegon the Younger acted as Lady Jeyne's cupbearer.

"We will move in the earnest, towards Duskendale. Send men you trust to convince the clawmen"

Added the queen.

"But all your lords and bannermen are welcomed to voice their opinion. Moreso, this is a boon I grant you, cousin, one of your choice shall serve in my Queensguard"

At the moment only Marbrand and Cargyll stood behind the throne, in white plate and white cloaks.
    The Lady Jeyne nodded in agreement. "Perhaps we should consider notifying Lady Tyrell that Oldtown will need a new ruler once this war is over," she said. "Oldtown is rich and powerful in its own right, and if riches and power is what she desires, why not give her a mandate to incorporate the mighty city of maesters into her own domain? After all, the Hightowers have now shown, without a doubt, that they are easily corrupted. Surely a bad trait for one's bannermen to have." She then continued on to the business at hand. "I've half a mind to parlay with the lords of the Claw myself, to show them that the Vale's support is more than just nominal. Besides, whereas I am useless on the battlefield, perhaps my way with words will prove to be more useful to you."

The offer of promoting one of hers to the Queensguard caught her somewhat by surprise, and she had to consider for a moment before a thin smile formed on her lips. "I have a cousin who goes by the name of Ser Eldric," she said. "He's a great fighter, and most certainly is ambitious. Of course, sadly for him, once he dons the White Cloak he may never more claim the Eyrie, but I am sure he would not say no to such a prestigious position, even if it may require some coercion at first." She took a sip of the wine. She'd had better, but alas, she supposed an army could not afford to wheel along carts and carts of Arbor Gold. "There is one problem, however. At the moment, we do not seem to be able to find him."
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

"Many will lose heads and seats when this war is over, they chose poorly and they will pay the price, no matter their birth"

Said Rhaenyra.

"And could I trust him? Or should I fear a blade between my ribs? In any case, if that is your recommendation, I will offer him the white cloak"

The queen frowned.

"Why don't you have him under your thrall?"

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

"We have had our... differences," Jeyne reluctantly mentioned. "However, I have no doubt that, in time, he will see things my way. For now, I suggest we put the matter of a new member for your Queensguard on hold," she then said. "So, after Duskendale, what will be next for us? South, to confrontation at the capital?"
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

"Confrontation in the capital could mean untold devastation, I won't risk my city"

Said Rhaenyra.

"We will defeat the enemy wherever they face us. But we don't know where, that only Gods know"

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Corlys closed eyes for a moment as well, trying to digest the truth he had so well concealed for many years. He knew both the lie and the act would anger Rhaenys beyond imagination, and after their children had died, he simply could not stomach the idea of hurting his wife more than she already was. He thought lies were a more acceptable truth and, leaving his wife in the dark, a necessary precaution to preserve their marriage. He had erred, for Corlys knew he was wrong, he should have repented and confessed, and the boys would have grown in High Tide, Velaryons to the bone. But, maybe, that had been for the best, they had been fostered among commoners, traders, sailors and merchants, they were honorable, loyal, witty, resourceful. Maybe, had they been raised in his court they could have become spoiled brats, good for nothings. But, that only the Gods knew.

"I kept the secret. I was wrong to do as much and I sincerely apologize, Rhaenys. I shouldn't have, but I'm weaker than you always were and I feared what the world could say or do"

He looked at Addam. The young man was feasting in the company of a dozen lordlings from the Vale, including a Hardying, a Waynwood and a Tollet, that much Corlys could tell from their heraldic devices. Alyn was nearby, and certainly he looked the spitting image of younger Sea Snake, despite they were not the same and Marilda's blood was in his. And he was speaking, or more accurately, flirting, with one of the maidservants.

"There are none other, I swear on the Old Gods and the New. If there have been other women they bore no fruit of their union, of they are far too removed from Westeros to ever be considered, and they were bed during my many travels, when both myself and the world were younger"

He openned both hands and placed them on the tabble, looking at his wife. Corlys felt his wife's pain and in turn, inflicted pain upon himself, for not being loyal and faithful to a wife so devoted.

"Marilda is the only one I've cheated you with, I swear. And she is not to trouble you, she won't ever cause any trouble to us, I beg not to seek retribution, for the boys' sakes"

The first peer of the realm couldn't beg, or at least shouldn't. But there's nothing one can do with a woman as Rhaenys but beg.

"My years on this earthly realm are counted, Rhaenys, I don't wish to be apart from you. Let us put the past behind us, no matter how storied or painful. I give you my heart, you can do with it as you please, but I beg you forgiveness"
    Rhaenys' anger softened slightly at the sight of her husband's full confession and pleading. Still, it was hard to swallow the insult, particularly when it had aged like a sour wine. She sipped a cup, of real wine at that, and took a few deep breaths to steady her nerves, tearing her eyes away from Corlys to look at her own lined hands before returning them to his older face, lips set in a grimace.

"I...I need to think, Corlys. I appreciate that you have finally come clean, so let me be honest with you in turn: I cannot say I forgive you in full and mean it, not yet." For the first time in decades the voice of the Queen That Never Was shook, not just with fury but with grief, and she sounded close to tears, though her eyes remained clear and focused. The weathered lines in her own face deepened with sorrow, making her seem a moment to truly look her age. "But I will not forget that we have had more good times than bad. And that our vows are until death do us part." She placed a hand on his, with more tenderness than she was known for. "For the sake of our grandchildren and in memory of how far we have come, I am willing to try again. But if this is to go anywhere, if we are to go anywhere, then we must start with honesty."

She took another breath, and steadied her voice. "You will understand, I hope, if I cannot take you simply at your word at this moment, and engage in my own inquiries when we return to Dragonstone. If what you swear to be true, proves to be true, that what you have told me is indeed a sign of turning over a new leaf and laying down a new foundation of honesty for our marriage...then, yes, we can begin anew indeed."

"As for the baseborn ones and their mother." Rhaenys stole a glance at Addam once more. At least that one was Laenor's, bearable enough. She dared not look for his brother, not knowing how she'd react at this time, before she could compose and prepare herself to look on living evidence of her own husband's faithfulness. "I will not pursue retribution. They have committed no crime, I trust, save to be baseborn. And I know the elder of the two rides Laenor's dragon now, and that we need more dragons than ever before. If nothing else, the Great Councils have taught me how to set aside my personal concerns for the good of the realm." She took another sip of wine, but when she swallowed she could taste nothing but misery and spite.

Horns sounded and trumpets blared as a dragon was sighted. The alarm was sounded, though the commotion quickly eased as it was the Blood Wyrm that was sighted soaring just under the clouds. It landed right in the centre of camp and roared, Daemon revelling in the attention of the common soldiery before dismounting and removing his helmet. A few saluted and bowed, unsure as to how to greet him; they were equally unsure as to how to deal with the dragon he had simply left in the centre of camp as he waltzed off towards the royal tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    Rhaenys' anger softened slightly at the sight of her husband's full confession and pleading. Still, it was hard to swallow the insult, particularly when it had aged like a sour wine. She sipped a cup, of real wine at that, and took a few deep breaths to steady her nerves, tearing her eyes away from Corlys to look at her own lined hands before returning them to his older face, lips set in a grimace.

"I...I need to think, Corlys. I appreciate that you have finally come clean, so let me be honest with you in turn: I cannot say I forgive you in full and mean it, not yet." For the first time in decades the voice of the Queen That Never Was shook, not just with fury but with grief, and she sounded close to tears, though her eyes remained clear and focused. The weathered lines in her own face deepened with sorrow, making her seem a moment to truly look her age. "But I will not forget that we have had more good times than bad. And that our vows are until death do us part." She placed a hand on his, with more tenderness than she was known for. "For the sake of our grandchildren and in memory of how far we have come, I am willing to try again. But if this is to go anywhere, if we are to go anywhere, then we must start with honesty."

She took another breath, and steadied her voice. "You will understand, I hope, if I cannot take you simply at your word at this moment, and engage in my own inquiries when we return to Dragonstone. If what you swear to be true, proves to be true, that what you have told me is indeed a sign of turning over a new leaf and laying down a new foundation of honesty for our marriage...then, yes, we can begin anew indeed."

"As for the baseborn ones and their mother." Rhaenys stole a glance at Addam once more. At least that one was Laenor's, bearable enough. She dared not look for his brother, not knowing how she'd react at this time, before she could compose and prepare herself to look on living evidence of her own husband's faithfulness. "I will not pursue retribution. They have committed no crime, I trust, save to be baseborn. And I know the elder of the two rides Laenor's dragon now, and that we need more dragons than ever before. If nothing else, the Great Councils have taught me how to set aside my personal concerns for the good of the realm." She took another sip of wine, but when she swallowed she could taste nothing but misery and spite.
    "You have all the time you need, Rhaenys. I hope you will forgive my transgressions, all of them"

Granted Lord Corlys, preocupied by the depth of the inflicted wounds upon his own wife.

"I know you will not trust me for a time, I do know that I diserve as much, for I have been unfaithful, breaking bows and acting dishonestly"

He admited, again, willing to seek forgiveness instead of being proud and stubbornly refusing to be reined in by a woman, because Rhaenys wasn't a common woman and they had been married for decades, their wasn't a common marriage either.

"Good, for they're guiltless, they just commited the crime to be born outside the wedlock, shamefully"

However, bastardy was a taint that could be removed, with a king's or queen's blessing. Corlys looked at her.

"Soon, hardships will end, wife mine. And the realm will be peaceful, as peaceful as it was under our cousin Viserys' rule, Gods be merciful with his soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Horns sounded and trumpets blared as a dragon was sighted. The alarm was sounded, though the commotion quickly eased as it was the Blood Wyrm that was sighted soaring just under the clouds. It landed right in the centre of camp and roared, Daemon revelling in the attention of the common soldiery before dismounting and removing his helmet. A few saluted and bowed, unsure as to how to greet him; they were equally unsure as to how to deal with the dragon he had simply left in the centre of camp as he waltzed off towards the royal tent.
    He is led to the great tent of gold cloth, where Rhaenyra awaits her husband, clad in half-armor and surrounded by kin and retainers, including Lucerys, Lord Corlys and wife, and their newfound grandsons.

"Harrenhal will rise for us. Strong was very forthcoming. I sent him to raise Tully and the other Riverlords."

Daemon announced, handing his helmet off to a squire. Viserys rushed forward to greet him, the Prince chuckling as he lifted the boy up and ruffled his hair. Aegon followed, a little less confidently, but was embraced by his father nonetheless. The journey seemed to have lifted his spirits considerably.

"We must waste no time. Strong had not heard of our landing, so I wager that Hightower hasn't either. Surprise is still with us."

"Strongs have always been loyal"

Some more than others, haha...

She blushed, oh so very slightly.

"The riverlanders will stay true! I know it. The oaths, they won't diregard the oaths"

She stiffened her back. Lord Corlys allowed himself a thin smile and Addam, the newest dragonrider, seemed distracted with something beyond Daemon's sight.

"If we still enjoy surprise... it's of the essence we move, now, but..."

Her liliac eyes returned to Daemon, queen, armor and all Rhaenyra was comfortable in the ballroom, not in the battlefield.

"What should we do, Lord Hand?"

"We find the enemy. I will have scouts sent south, for surely they gather at the capital."

Daemon wrinkled his nose a little. It irked him to not know the entire picture.

"It won't take them long to discover us, I suspect. The army must be ready to depart north at any moment."

Then, his gaze flitted over to Rhaenys, apparently oblivious to the obvious tension within the Velaryon family dynamic.

"Meanwhile, I and my dear mother have business with Rosby. We will not take long. The men must be ready to leave on our return."

Then, he folded his arms, and looked a little sour in the face.

"By the way, they summoned less than I hoped. I didn't see that moron Royce's banners here, for one."

Runestone was only second to the Eyrie in power. If he had sat the war out, then perhaps others had followed his example. Daemon sneered. The buffoon should be grateful Caraxes didn't roast him in his copper costume. He waved a hand, dismissively.

"No matter. The Riverlands will make up for the disappointment. We will march towards Maidenpool, I think. And pray Corbray has used his tongue better than his sword arm."

"We will be ready, don't worry, husband"

She assured.

"Oh, I didn't realize. Where is Royce? That bastard..."

Rhaenyra bites her lips, looking quite unsure for a mere moment. Was she scared?

"Anyway, we have swords, the whole Vale!"

Not the whole Vale, however...

She realizes Daemon's meaning of his line about Rosby.

"Oh, well, so be it, Lady Rhaenys, if you'd be so kind as to acompany my lord husband... Teach them the meaning of our words, they shan't forget"

Rhaenyra looks around.

"Well, what are you looking at, start moving. I want the army to be prepared to match as soon Lord Daemon returns, send word to everyone"

---

Lord Corlys looked at Daemon. He was as bold as he remembered, and now he sought his wife's support. So be it, he just expected Rhaenys to come back a piece, if not they would have to cross a few words. Lord Velaryon had known Daemon for decades, he knew his former son-in-law pretty well.

"I shall return with the sails to the Gullet, I will be of better use there, strangling trade and supplies. You don't need my old bones in a battlefield. You may need Addam's, though"

"My sword is yours, Your Grace"

He smiled, probably he was trying hard to get the queen's approval, but she only wrinkled her mouth as answer.

"You have all the time you need, Rhaenys. I hope you will forgive my transgressions, all of them"

Granted Lord Corlys, preocupied by the depth of the inflicted wounds upon his own wife.

"I know you will not trust me for a time, I do know that I diserve as much, for I have been unfaithful, breaking bows and acting dishonestly"

He admited, again, willing to seek forgiveness instead of being proud and stubbornly refusing to be reined in by a woman, because Rhaenys wasn't a common woman and they had been married for decades, their wasn't a common marriage either.

"Good, for they're guiltless, they just commited the crime to be born outside the wedlock, shamefully"

However, bastardy was a taint that could be removed, with a king's or queen's blessing. Corlys looked at her.

"Soon, hardships will end, wife mine. And the realm will be peaceful, as peaceful as it was under our cousin Viserys' rule, Gods be merciful with his soul"
    "That it will. And, gods willing, the hardship newly sprung up between us shall recede soon as well." Rhaenys replied, still unsmiling, but sounding and appearing less hostile than she did previously. She wanted a return to normalcy as soon as possible, and being at odds with her husband of thirty-odd years did not give her any pleasure. In time, she decided she might even relent sufficiently to tolerate the presence of Laenor's bastard, at least.
    "Harrenhal will rise for us. Strong was very forthcoming. I sent him to raise Tully and the other Riverlords."

Daemon announced, handing his helmet off to a squire. Viserys rushed forward to greet him, the Prince chuckling as he lifted the boy up and ruffled his hair. Aegon followed, a little less confidently, but was embraced by his father nonetheless. The journey seemed to have lifted his spirits considerably.

"We must waste no time. Strong had not heard of our landing, so I wager that Hightower hasn't either. Surprise is still with us."

"Strongs have always been loyal"

Some more than others, haha...

She blushed, oh so very slightly.

"The riverlanders will stay true! I know it. The oaths, they won't diregard the oaths"

She stiffened her back. Lord Corlys allowed himself a thin smile and Addam, the newest dragonrider, seemed distracted with something beyond Daemon's sight.

"If we still enjoy surprise... it's of the essence we move, now, but..."

Her liliac eyes returned to Daemon, queen, armor and all Rhaenyra was comfortable in the ballroom, not in the battlefield.

"What should we do, Lord Hand?"
    "We find the enemy. I will have scouts sent south, for surely they gather at the capital."

Daemon wrinkled his nose a little. It irked him to not know the entire picture.

"It won't take them long to discover us, I suspect. The army must be ready to depart north at any moment."

Then, his gaze flitted over to Rhaenys, apparently oblivious to the obvious tension within the Velaryon family dynamic.

"Meanwhile, I and my dear mother have business with Rosby. We will not take long. The men must be ready to leave on our return."

Then, he folded his arms, and looked a little sour in the face.

"By the way, they summoned less than I hoped. I didn't see that moron Royce's banners here, for one."

Runestone was only second to the Eyrie in power. If he had sat the war out, then perhaps others had followed his example. Daemon sneered. The buffoon should be grateful Caraxes didn't roast him in his copper costume. He waved a hand, dismissively.

"No matter. The Riverlands will make up for the disappointment. We will march towards Maidenpool, I think. And pray Corbray has used his tongue better than his sword arm."
    "We will be ready, don't worry, husband"

She assured.

"Oh, I didn't realize. Where is Royce? That bastard..."

Rhaenyra bites her lips, looking quite unsure for a mere moment. Was she scared?

"Anyway, we have swords, the whole Vale!"

Not the whole Vale, however...

She realizes Daemon's meaning of his line about Rosby.

"Oh, well, so be it, Lady Rhaenys, if you'd be so kind as to acompany my lord husband... Teach them the meaning of our words, they shan't forget"

Rhaenyra looks around.

"Well, what are you looking at, start moving. I want the army to be prepared to match as soon Lord Daemon returns, send word to everyone"

---

Lord Corlys looked at Daemon. He was as bold as he remembered, and now he sought his wife's support. So be it, he just expected Rhaenys to come back a piece, if not they would have to cross a few words. Lord Velaryon had known Daemon for decades, he knew his former son-in-law pretty well.

"I shall return with the sails to the Gullet, I will be of better use there, strangling trade and supplies. You don't need my old bones in a battlefield. You may need Addam's, though"

"My sword is yours, Your Grace"

He smiled, probably he was trying hard to get the queen's approval, but she only wrinkled her mouth as answer.
    "I shall help your husband educate House Rosby on the wisdom of siding with the true Queen one way or another, Your Grace." Rhaenys replied, face stern and voice cool. "But I must ask...why march north into the Riverlands and send our fleet back to the Gullet, when we are already so close to the capital?" She had not been at the last war council, after all, and was not privy to the reasoning behind Daemon's and Rhaenyra's decisions there.

"Is it not possible to compel the Riverlanders into joining us here, instead of moving to join them, and then - once we have swords enough to make up for those Valemen who did not answer the call to arms - " The elder Targaryen looked to Daemon, who had brought this news of missing Valemen, " - we could divide our strength, unevenly of course. Deploy one army, advancing on land, to draw the usurper and his brothers out of the capital, and pin them down in battle at Rosby or even closer to King's Landing while the other moves to take the newly undefended capital by sea, supported by my husband's fleet and the majority of our dragon-riders." If most or all of Aegon's brothers left the capital while they brought the heat of most of their own dragons, well - she had a hard time imagining there'd even be a fight there.

"That it will. And, gods willing, the hardship newly sprung up between us shall recede soon as well." Rhaenys replied, still unsmiling, but sounding and appearing less hostile than she did previously. She wanted a return to normalcy as soon as possible, and being at odds with her husband of thirty-odd years did not give her any pleasure. In time, she decided she might even relent sufficiently to tolerate the presence of Laenor's bastard, at least.

"I shall help your husband educate House Rosby on the wisdom of siding with the true Queen one way or another, Your Grace." Rhaenys replied, face stern and voice cool. "But I must ask...why march north into the Riverlands and send our fleet back to the Gullet, when we are already so close to the capital?" She had not been at the last war council, after all, and was not privy to the reasoning behind Daemon's and Rhaenyra's decisions there.

"Is it not possible to compel the Riverlanders into joining us here, instead of moving to join them, and then - once we have swords enough to make up for those Valemen who did not answer the call to arms - " The elder Targaryen looked to Daemon, who had brought this news of missing Valemen, " - we could divide our strength, unevenly of course. Deploy one army, advancing on land, to draw the usurper and his brothers out of the capital, and pin them down in battle at Rosby or even closer to King's Landing while the other moves to take the newly undefended capital by sea, supported by my husband's fleet and the majority of our dragon-riders." If most or all of Aegon's brothers left the capital while they brought the heat of most of their own dragons, well - she had a hard time imagining there'd even be a fight there.
    "I hope and pray for such a conclusion"

Acknowledged Corlys. Noneless, he almost gasped when Addam himself approached the dais, his liliac eyes seeking his grandfather's. He bows. The bastard is wearing a blue doublet, fit and flat of stomach, the sword scabbard is blue as well. The badge he was wearing was that of the seahorse, on silver.

"Lady Rhaenys. I... believe we have not been introduced"

He said, shyly. The boy avoided looking at Rhaenys' eyes, he who had not been afraid of taming a dragon: he knew there were worse things in life, like his grandmother's wrath.

"I--I... wish to bring no shame to my name"

Corlys looks at his wife from behind the cup, as he was sipping Arbor Gold to make all that more manageable.

---

"My Lord Protector will answer that"

Said Rhaenyra, eyeing Daemon nervously. Why not to ride and attack the capital when the enemy was at hand?

"He must have good reasons"

"I believe I know"

Said Corlys.

"We do not know the amount of men Aegon has around the capital. Moreso, we don't know if more are on the way"

He raised a finger.

"If we march North, we will allow the Riverlanders to assemble and convince those... undecided, those who haven't chosen a cause. Our presence in Harrenhal, right in the middle of the realm, will rally around us many lords, many swords"

Corlys twisted his moustache.

"My presence on the Gullet will only confuse the enemy, plus, I would be more useful there"

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Two ravens arrive at the Royal Host, commanded by Rhaenyra Targaryen. One is signed by Ser Corwyn Corbray and another by Ser Robin Strong. The former letter states that Lord Mooton has joined the side of Rhaenyra in exchange for the promise of being protected from Aegon's dragons. However, the latter states that Lord Tully of Riverrun has decided to obey his oath to the Iron Throne and not Rhaenyra, deciding to resist the Black's advance against Aegon the Usurper. Yet, not all hope was lost it seemed, Ser Robin brings better news in the form of a proclamation by Lord Paramount's brother, Kirith Tully, Lord of Branstone, has called for Riverlords to raise their banners and aid the Queen's cause.

Edited Corwyn's letter.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; January 23, 2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"We do not know how many men Aegon has purchased to his side. I would rather not wake one morning to find a host before us and Vhagar above us."

Explained Daemon, impatiently, waving his hands around like an excited child.

"As Lord Corlys says, we must convince the Riverlords. And yes, the gullet. We must make them believe we can strike from the sea."

He patted his stomach idly.

"When the scouts return, we will have a better picture. Then we can move as needed. If they are weaker than I assume, perhaps a quick attack would be prudent."

Rhaenyra nodded, somewhat nervously.

"We have the upper hand in dragons. Against Caraxes and Meleys Vhagar is done..."

She said.

"But we might not have sufficient swords. That's why we shouldn't move towards the capital, Rhaenys"

Added Lord Corlys.

"I shall join the fleet and return to the Gullet, whenever you need me, send a dragon, it'll be the quickest way of communication"

He would take Alyn with him. The boy was more used to a ship's deck than a dragon's spine. Somehow, he hadn't shown any inclinations towards taming a dragon on his own.

"I hope and pray for such a conclusion"

Acknowledged Corlys. Noneless, he almost gasped when Addam himself approached the dais, his liliac eyes seeking his grandfather's. He bows. The bastard is wearing a blue doublet, fit and flat of stomach, the sword scabbard is blue as well. The badge he was wearing was that of the seahorse, on silver.

"Lady Rhaenys. I... believe we have not been introduced"

He said, shyly. The boy avoided looking at Rhaenys' eyes, he who had not been afraid of taming a dragon: he knew there were worse things in life, like his grandmother's wrath.

"I--I... wish to bring no shame to my name"

Corlys looks at his wife from behind the cup, as he was sipping Arbor Gold to make all that more manageable.
    "Addam of Hull, are you not? Lord Velaryon here has told me a little about you." Rhaenys forced herself to look the young man in the eye and smile, thin as it was. "And it appears you already know who I am."

"I've been told that you've tamed a dragon already. My son's, no less - Seasmoke."
    The young man bore a certain resemblance to Laenor that made maintaining eye contact with him even more difficult than Rhaenys had anticipated. She disguised another deep inhalation by quickly sipping some more wine from her now-nearly-empty goblet and continued, "If you are out to prove yourself and ensure no shame besmirches your name, young man, I would say you are already off to a good start." The praise was genuine enough, so she was able to utter it with relative ease. It was not possible to dismiss taming a dragon as some minor feat unworthy of acknowledgement, after all.
    "My Lord Protector will answer that"

Said Rhaenyra, eyeing Daemon nervously. Why not to ride and attack the capital when the enemy was at hand?

"He must have good reasons"

"I believe I know"

Said Corlys.

"We do not know the amount of men Aegon has around the capital. Moreso, we don't know if more are on the way"

He raised a finger.

"If we march North, we will allow the Riverlanders to assemble and convince those... undecided, those who haven't chosen a cause. Our presence in Harrenhal, right in the middle of the realm, will rally around us many lords, many swords"

Corlys twisted his moustache.

"My presence on the Gullet will only confuse the enemy, plus, I would be more useful there"
    "We do not know how many men Aegon has purchased to his side. I would rather not wake one morning to find a host before us and Vhagar above us."

Explained Daemon, impatiently, waving his hands around like an excited child.

"As Lord Corlys says, we must convince the Riverlords. And yes, the gullet. We must make them believe we can strike from the sea."

He patted his stomach idly.

"When the scouts return, we will have a better picture. Then we can move as needed. If they are weaker than I assume, perhaps a quick attack would be prudent."
    Rhaenyra nodded, somewhat nervously.

"We have the upper hand in dragons. Against Caraxes and Meleys Vhagar is done..."

She said.

"But we might not have sufficient swords. That's why we shouldn't move towards the capital, Rhaenys"

Added Lord Corlys.

"I shall join the fleet and return to the Gullet, whenever you need me, send a dragon, it'll be the quickest way of communication"

He would take Alyn with him. The boy was more used to a ship's deck than a dragon's spine. Somehow, he hadn't shown any inclinations towards taming a dragon on his own.
    "Fair enough Your Graces, my lord. I acknowledge that while dragons are very useful in burning down castles and cities, it will take manpower on the ground to hold them." Rhaenys conceded, folding her arms. "But, I maintain that when we go on the offensive, it would still be best to divide our forces. One army advancing on land with a few dragons to draw the usurper and his men out of their capital, the other with the majority of our dragonriders to take said capital when it has been emptied, preferably by sea." She glanced at Corlys, despite her personal feelings she was an experienced enough soldier to know not to let those disrupt planning out their grand strategy. "I imagine there's little that would establish us as the winning side, and draw men and houses to our cause, better than being able to snatch King's Landing - the realm's capital and the very seat of Aegon's power - from right out underneath his fat bottom with scarcely a fight."

"Addam of Hull, are you not? Lord Velaryon here has told me a little about you." Rhaenys forced herself to look the young man in the eye and smile, thin as it was. "And it appears you already know who I am."

"I've been told that you've tamed a dragon already. My son's, no less - Seasmoke."
    The young man bore a certain resemblance to Laenor that made maintaining eye contact with him even more difficult than Rhaenys had anticipated. She disguised another deep inhalation by quickly sipping some more wine from her now-nearly-empty goblet and continued, "If you are out to prove yourself and ensure no shame besmirches your name, young man, I would say you are already off to a good start." The praise was genuine enough, so she was able to utter it with relative ease. It was not possible to dismiss taming a dragon as some minor feat unworthy of acknowledgement, after all.
    "I do know it, Lady Rhaenys. My... ahemmm... grandmother"

He blushed to the point of his rather big ears, only half-covered by the silvery curls. It wasn't easy to assimilate his grandmother was none but a Would be Queen, it was hard enough to know Lord Velaryon was his grandfather.

"Yes, Seasmoke and I bonded. I visited his lair and... well"

The thrill of flying was the best he had ever done, the feeling of mounting a dragon could not compare to any other pleasure he knew; but he didn't know, to be fair, all pleasures of the flesh, and there were some he craved but denied himself.

"Thanks, my lady"

With their position before the walls of Darry deemed secure, Daemon calls a war council of the prominent commanders left to discuss their strategy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast