Thread: Hellenistic reforms

Default Hellenistic reforms

Hello all,
    PP here, got back to the mod after a 10-year hiatus from EB1 so still figuring out my way around most of the new mechanics.
    I read the player guide with regards to the military reforms mechanics, and I just want to make sure I got it all right, as it doesn't seem to be working correctly for me.
    My understanding of the military reforms is that these happen automatically after a certain year (can't remember exactly what that was, I think 257?), but then what? In my Bosporian campaign I've reached turn 100 and have received the text prompt for the arrival of the galatian shield, I see the new units available to the AI, but I have no way to recruit these in my own settlements, no matter the population size or the government available. What building is required to be able to recruit the new units?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, the mod is so incredible, and I actually have to stop myself from reading too many of those awesome descriptions at once!
    Cheers!
    Purple

P.S. one last quick question, I noticed I was only able to recruit pontic heavy hoplites once level 1 government building was built in khersonesos, as they are not listed in the unit list of Pantikapaion, is this on purpose?

Default Re: Hellenistic reforms

The Bosporans specifically are considered something of a cultural backwater iirc and they get reform units later than the other Hellenistic factions (I think once the thorax reform hits around turn 200). For all Hellenes the recruitment pools in the colony buildings (and also I think the poleis?) will update automatically, you don't need to build new buildings. The one exception is the "Military Reform" tier of the settler colony which unlocks once the thorax reform hits and is an optional "sidegrade" that replaces the phalanx units in the level 3 hellenistic colony with a larger pool of thureophoroi and thorakitai.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Baharr has answered the specific question about why/when the reforms occur at a different time on the Black Sea shore. On a more general point, you'd be best served forgetting everything you learned in EB1, EBII is not an attempt to simply recreate it with a new engine.

As far as recruitment goes, most of it is regional, sometimes down to the level of a single province. That is more significant than the government you build, and for Hellenistic factions, your government only gives you locals, for the most part; your core roster comes from the polis and government buildings. Pontikoi Hoplitai don't come from Pantikapaion, they come from Olbia, Histrie and Khersonesos.

Why are they not recruiting out of Pantikapaion?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Domeric_Bolton View Post
    Why are they not recruiting out of Pantikapaion?
    They don't come from there, simply put. All the evidence is from that north-west corner of the Black Sea shore, and not that far east.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; January 22, 2019 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    They don't come from there, simply put. All the evidence is from that north-west corner of the Black Sea shore, and not that far east.
    Thanks for your replies, everyone, this makes sense now! From a militaristic viewpoint is the lack of heavy hoplites influenced by the constant contact of Pantikapaion with mobile scythian horse-archers? Do we know how the Pantikapaionians(?) fought?
    Thanks,
    PP

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Purplepurpoise View Post
    Thanks for your replies, everyone, this makes sense now! From a militaristic viewpoint is the lack of heavy hoplites influenced by the constant contact of Pantikapaion with mobile scythian horse-archers? Do we know how the Pantikapaionians(?) fought?
    Thanks,
    PP
    I think it's because Pantikapaion was bigger and richer and able to field it's own hoplites. Those smaller communities focused on small bodies of mercenaries and other settlers instead.