So I've just achieved the last stage of the KH reforms. Up until now, I've been roleplaying it as a somewhat-united league of city-states by having regional armies and fleets, that can only be retrained in/reinforced from their city of origin, and can only be led by FM's from that city.

Now that I've achieved the last reform though, I'm unsure as to how to modify my military accordingly. I'd like to start phasing out the regionals and have "regular", federal armies for the Koinion, but I don't know what units they'd be composed of.

Hoplites are essentially regional levies, so from an RP perspective they wouldn't work in the new federal armies. Would it be viable from a practical perspective to replace them in the main line of battle with the theuros-reform units? How would they fare as my front-line units? At this point I don't have the thorakitai yet.

Would having regional elites/professionals (Spartiates/Thessalians/Kretans) as part of my federal armies make sense, from an RP perspective?

Now obviously I'm overthinking this a bit, but I'm relishing this opportunity to truly nerd out. I'd love to hear your suggestions and ideas.