Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Macedonia approves constitutional amendment to change country's name to Republic of North Macedonia

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Macedonia approves constitutional amendment to change country's name to Republic of North Macedonia

Setting aside trolls, historical debates and maps.

How about we talk for a minute about a government that was elected with not a single word about this dispute at its agenda and then decided a nice morning to take ALL this on themselves, without consulting the Greek people who are by all polls between 70 to 90% against the deal just because NATO wants to expand and Germany want to open up a new Balkan route - all with the support of EU as well.

Not to mention the bribing and/or threatening of MPs in both FYROM and Greece to vote for the deal.

Just a wake up call for some Scots or Catalans that think that any small country will be protected in the "democratic" EU or for those that complain about Russia getting involved in other countries' politics.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: Macedonia approves constitutional amendment to change country's name to Republic of North Macedonia

Basil advocating for violence and death? Very classic trait of the alt-right.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrotatos View Post
    Setting aside trolls, historical debates and maps.

How about we talk for a minute about a government that was elected with not a single word about this dispute at its agenda and then decided a nice morning to take ALL this on themselves, without consulting the Greek people who are by all polls between 70 to 90% against the deal just because NATO wants to expand and Germany want to open up a new Balkan route - all with the support of EU as well.

Not to mention the bribing and/or threatening of MPs in both FYROM and Greece to vote for the deal.

Just a wake up call for some Scots or Catalans that think that any small country will be protected in the "democratic" EU or for those that complain about Russia getting involved in other countries' politics.
    Democracy was born in Greece and died there, killed by Nazi excrements like Angela Merkel, Schaeuble, traitors like Alexis Tsipras and similar liberal retards supported by the likes of Vanoi.

Greece is under every aspect a colony where people no longer have a voice. NATO, the destruction of Russia, the global government are all too worthy ideals for Greeks to be preserved as a unique people.
    Last edited by alhoon; January 19, 2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: off topic part removed

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Democracy was born in Greece and died there, killed by Nazi excrements like Angela Merkel, Schaeuble, traitors like Alexis Tsipras and similar liberal retards supported by the likes of Vanoi.

Greece is under every aspect a colony where people no longer have a voice. NATO, the destruction of Russia, the global government are all too worthy ideals for Greeks to be preserved as a unique people.
    Greece caused it's own problems.
    Last edited by alhoon; January 19, 2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: minor off topic insults removed.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Democracy was born in Greece and died there
    The one born there died at the hands of Macedonians...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    The one born there died at the hands of Macedonians...
    Actually it survived until Augustus apparently.
    Gems of TWC:

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Actually it survived until Augustus apparently.
    Not really not in any way that any citizen from 510-322BC would recognize. After Antipater had his way but for a couple brief flourishes it was basically a tool oligarchy, just not as repressive as some.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

So, any chance FYROM lynches their Soros backed traitor and call off the deal? I know their President of the Republic doesn't want to sign it.

It's also pretty funny how in both countries the majority of the people do not want this, while it's pushed by the elite, backed by foreigners. A clear case of people against the globalist elite. We need to start trials for treason.

since there's several regions that are referred to as macedonia (old kingdom, roman province), and fyrom does afaik occupy the northen part of the old roman province of macedonia, it does seem reasonable that they can call themselves northern macedonia by purely geographic reasons. fyrom needs to stop stealing greek heritage though, that's ridiculous and an understandable source of resentment for greeks.

fyrom needs to stop stealing greek heritage
    How are they stealing it are they coming over the boarder and digging things up - what?

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    How are they stealing it are they coming over the boarder and digging things up - what?
    Thats what we Germans were doing, now we have the Pergamonmuseum

The whole affair is more akin to two small villages fighting it out in some kind of pup-brawl, not how sovereign states behave.
    Good that at least the current governments have some sense left and got this mess done.

Maybe the Taliban should claim the name since they are the ones still wearing a Kausia.

First of all the condescending posts from many people here are really annoying, it is an important issue for many factors, historical, cultural, economical, political. You don't see us making fun of the Gibraltar non-existing issue or the fishing wars in the northern sea, do you?

Now as a centre-right Greek with (I like to believe) balanced views that have evolved since I joined this forum more than a decade ago, I would grudgingly accept the name "North Macedonia". HOWEVER, the issue is also the language and the ethnicity apart from the historical falsifications and irredentism.

Ethnicity: Best would be Slavomacedonian but unfortunately 40% of the country is Albanian so that does not work. So I would accept the North Macedonian ethnicity. Claiming the ethnicity as Macedonian makes it really easy for future demagogues cultivating the idea of a proud, wronged Macedonian nation confined in smaller Northen Macedonia by the evil Greek that usurped the rest. The current deal gives away the Macedonian ethnicity which is a red line.

Language: We cannot accept the language as Macedonian. Apart from mixing things with the ancient language, it's also something that will continue to cause problems in the future. Slavomacedonian goes perfectly here and would probably be fine with the Albanians as well. It IS after all a dialect of Bulgarian which developed in Ottoman Macedonia.

I would accept the above and I think most of the Greeks as well.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Akrotatos View Post
    First of all the condescending posts from many people here are really annoying, it is an important issue for many factors, historical, cultural, economical, political. You don't see us making fun of the Gibraltar non-existing issue or the fishing wars in the northern sea, do you?

Now as a centre-right Greek with (I like to believe) balanced views that have evolved since I joined this forum more than a decade ago, I would grudgingly accept the name "North Macedonia". HOWEVER, the issue is also the language and the ethnicity apart from the historical falsifications and irredentism.

Ethnicity: Best would be Slavomacedonian but unfortunately 40% of the country is Albanian so that does not work. So I would accept the North Macedonian ethnicity. Claiming the ethnicity as Macedonian makes it really easy for future demagogues cultivating the idea of a proud, wronged Macedonian nation confined in smaller Northen Macedonia by the evil Greek that usurped the rest. The current deal gives away the Macedonian ethnicity which is a red line.

Language: We cannot accept the language as Macedonian. Apart from mixing things with the ancient language, it's also something that will continue to cause problems in the future. Slavomacedonian goes perfectly here and would probably be fine with the Albanians as well. It IS after all a dialect of Bulgarian which developed in Ottoman Macedonia.

I would accept the above and I think most of the Greeks as well.
    Or you could just be adults and let it go, but I realize most Greeks either cannot, or don't want to think rationally about the issue. There are far bigger issues for Greece to worry about than what some other country is doing on their own land.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Or you could just be adults and let it go, but I realize most Greeks either cannot, or don't want to think rationally about the issue. There are far bigger issues for Greece to worry about than what some other country is doing on their own land.
    condescending much? how adult of you

Quote Originally Posted by NosPortatArma View Post
    condescending much? how adult of you
    Does this mean you realize how idiotic this dispute is?

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Does this mean you realize how idiotic this dispute is?
    I can understand how greeks would be angry with people trying to steal their history by claiming to be heirs to alexander and the makedons, and other outright falsehoods. For people sitting on high horses though, this is an excellent opportunity to deride others as childish yokels.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

OK, let's change the name; "Vardar Macedonia" or..."Ex-Ottoman Macedonia ", do you agree? Happy now?
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    OK, let's change the name; "Vardar Macedonia" or..."Ex-Ottoman Macedonia ", do you agree? Happy now?
    ex ottoman macedonia refers to greek maceonia also. just vardaria would be a descriptive and good name, no need to add macedonia to the name imo. best name is paeonia though.. it seems the most obvios name, why didnt they pick it? maybe because they intentionally wanted part of richer macedonian history, probably...

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NosPortatArma View Post
    best name is paeonia though.. it seems the most obvios name, why didnt they pick it?
    The post inmy sig should explain that
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.