Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Runestone, Seat of House Royce

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Runestone, Seat of House Royce

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    The knight is led to a small sitting room where he is given food and wine while he waits. After a short time he is joined by Lord Gunthor Royce who sat taking another glass of wine from the servants. "I am pleased you could join me today Ser I trust your trip was pleasant?"
    "Were you taking a , Royce? Or do you make all your guests wait for you?" Templeton says drily, before getting up and grabbing some wine

"The trip was fine, aye, but I could tell people are getting nervous about the coming war."

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Runestone it seemed was lacking in preperations for war. There were no men drilling at the yard and the garrison did not seem augmented as one would expect in war time. House Royce it seemed was not preparing for any sort of conflict. Royce waves a hand dismissively, "A matter for the Dragons to settle not one that concerns me." Let that on Dragonstone get burned alive by Aegon for all I care, If he was lucky that bastard husband of hers would as well. "No I think the Vale Lords should be concerned with matters closer to home not engaging in some fruitless war to be burned alive by dragons."

"Oh, really?" Templeton replies, surprised.

"It doesn't look like our Lady shares these thoughts of yours, though. Right now, thousands of levied men are marching towards the Eyre."

"And she will do so without the men of Runestone." Gunthor says dismissively, "My men are not dying to put Daemon's puppet on the Iron Throne." There was a cold fury in his voice. "I have not forgotten the dishonor he showed my aunt." He sighs and takes a breath. "But that is not what I wished to speak about. What is your view of Lady Arryn's decision to set aside Eldric as heir?"

"And she will do so without the men of Runestone." Gunthor says dismissively, "My men are not dying to put Daemon's puppet on the Iron Throne." There was a cold fury in his voice. "I have not forgotten the dishonor he showed my aunt." He sighs and takes a breath. "But that is not what I wished to speak about. What is your view of Lady Arryn's decision to set aside Eldric as heir?"
    Templeton recalls the history lessons he had received as a child and remembers all about Arnold Arryn's claim and the controversy surrounding Eldric

"I don't really care about it, if I am honest. I mean, I understand why the Lady wants him gone, his father twice a traitor after all." He pauses "Why are you asking though? Last I heard, Eldric Arryn was nowhere to be seen. No use having a missing person as the Vale's heir"

"I have spoken to young Eldric," Royce says, "He stayed a night in Runestone before leaving." The implication there was clear he knew where Eldric had gone. "I am not satisfied with the choice to disregard all laws of succession Ser Templeton. I wish to see Eldric reinstated as heir."

Tomyn smirked knowingly. A device, of course. He attempted to survey the differences he had with his sparring partner, he was shorter, but that meant a lack of reach. But it also meant he could cut more effectively at the leg. While it was a non-fatal blow most of the time and therefore discouraged, it was a good prelude to the kill. He recomposed himself, drawing up in the usual stance. When he was ready he lunged low, aiming for the knee in a short, arcing blow.

Royce deflects the blow, "A good attempt, but you still telegraph your moves. Get you opponent off balance," Royce says watching the boy care fully. Gunthor goes in pressing the boy and keeping him from fully recovering. Finally he goes to the high feinting and sliding low when the youth goes to block.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

With word of the Arryn host bypassing Runestone altogether, Ser Eldric Rivers felt like his time to strike was fast approaching. The days had crept by, and every morning he'd take to the walls before breakfast even, wondering if he'd woken up to a siege. But, his aunt had never come, even though Royce and his men had chosen not to lift a finger, nor send word whatsoever.

His time at Runestone had made him know Royce's men better, sparring with the Lord's retinue on a daily basis, but contact with the Lord himself had been sparse, in the interest of remaining hidden from prying eyes and ears. Now, however, it was time. "Lord Royce," the hedge knight approached his employer at around midday, just as the maids were serving a meal of bread and cheese. "I believe we have some things to discuss. If you would be so kind, I'd ask to join you at supper."
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Gunthor nods thoughtfully, "Yes come join me in my solar this evening. There is much to discuss."

Later that night Eldric would be brought to the solar of Gunthor Royce where the Lord and his two sons were waiting. All three looked at the man when he entered and took his own seat.
    "Ser Eldric I trust Runestone has been treating you well?" Gunthor asks, as he settles in to his chair. "I have been traveling the past few days, and have spoken to several great Lords or the realm. You have sympathizers among the Lords of the Vale."

The rightful heir to the Vale nodded. "I have spent my time here training with your knights, and I must say they are well and truly the finest our fair lands offer. I consider myself a capable warrior, but your men have put me in my place more than once over the last months." He listened thoughtfully to what Gunthor had to say. "Sympathizers, I see. It would seem that some men, at least, have not forgotten the laws and honor that govern them. This is excellent news, Lord Royce." He tasted the food, it was certainly better than what he'd been served in the barracks. "Rumor is that a great host of Valemen has started moving, and will soon be leaving the Vale to its own devices. If that is true, and they've left the unaccounted for Lords unmolested, this would be a good time to start playing our hand."

"I have spoken to young Eldric," Royce says, "He stayed a night in Runestone before leaving." The implication there was clear he knew where Eldric had gone. "I am not satisfied with the choice to disregard all laws of succession Ser Templeton. I wish to see Eldric reinstated as heir."
    "And you think this is the right time to make those demands? Lady Jeyne is a tough . She won't give up so easily."

Things start to make sense in Templeton's head. This is the real reason why Royce hasn't raised his levy.

"But you know that. So I am guessing I am not the only Lord you've spoken about this matter."

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    The rightful heir to the Vale nodded. "I have spent my time here training with your knights, and I must say they are well and truly the finest our fair lands offer. I consider myself a capable warrior, but your men have put me in my place more than once over the last months." He listened thoughtfully to what Gunthor had to say. "Sympathizers, I see. It would seem that some men, at least, have not forgotten the laws and honor that govern them. This is excellent news, Lord Royce." He tasted the food, it was certainly better than what he'd been served in the barracks. "Rumor is that a great host of Valemen has started moving, and will soon be leaving the Vale to its own devices. If that is true, and they've left the unaccounted for Lords unmolested, this would be a good time to start playing our hand."
    Gunthor considers the words carefully, he drums the table thinking. There was a lot to consider in this. Much he could do both for his house and the Vale, but he needed to play this carefully. The boy was rash ready to rush into action without considering the full consequences. "Lady Jeyne has taken a large portion of the Vale with her to fight for the whore on Dragonstone." Gunthor says finally. "But that is not quite the boon we would think. I have convinced close to a third of the strength of the Vale to sit out this conflict depriving Lady Jeyne of crucial strength, but to openly move against her would be perceived as declaring for the Greens." He takes a sip of wine before continuing his thoughts, "We would be facing the Blacks Dragon riders by weeks end." He pauses, "On top of that Ser Eldric you are unwed with no lawful heir. If you are wounded or killed in fighting for the castle you most desperately want all this will be for naught." He takes another sip of wine, "I have no wish to end up fighting dragons or to see my efforts wasted."

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    "And you think this is the right time to make those demands? Lady Jeyne is a tough . She won't give up so easily."

Things start to make sense in Templeton's head. This is the real reason why Royce hasn't raised his levy.

"But you know that. So I am guessing I am not the only Lord you've spoken about this matter."

Gunthor smiles softly, "No I am no fool Ser." He says, "I do not believe to challenge Lady Jeyne's decrees with just the forces of Runestone and Templton. I have spoken to several Lords of the realm and have found many sympathetic ears."

Eldric shrugged. "I believe you misunderstand my intentions, Lord," he said. "We do not fight, not unless we are attacked at least, that is. What we do, is make our position clear. In absence of Jeyne's men, we should be able to convince the garrisons of her keeps to allow us entry, preferably without bloodshed. We wait until this business in King's Landing is resolved one way or another. When she returns and finds us keeping her seat of power safe from her enemies, we will be in prime position to press our demands and convince her of her folly." He leaned back in his chair slightly. "After all, she's proven before what she's capable of doing to her fellow Valemen. We should not give her the opportunity."

Gunthor smiles softly, "No I am no fool Ser." He says, "I do not believe to challenge Lady Jeyne's decrees with just the forces of Runestone and Templton. I have spoken to several Lords of the realm and have found many sympathetic ears."
    "Look Royce, this conversation is really close to what some may call treason." Templeton says

"I am not your friend, but I am not your enemy either. At least for now. I'll tell you one thing, though. If you go through with this, you better be quick. You have the momentum advantage so use it. But keep in mind that when Lady Jeyne returns from war, she'll not come alone, she'll come with the dragons."

Having spoken his piece, Templeton gets up and gets ready to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Eldric shrugged. "I believe you misunderstand my intentions, Lord," he said. "We do not fight, not unless we are attacked at least, that is. What we do, is make our position clear. In absence of Jeyne's men, we should be able to convince the garrisons of her keeps to allow us entry, preferably without bloodshed. We wait until this business in King's Landing is resolved one way or another. When she returns and finds us keeping her seat of power safe from her enemies, we will be in prime position to press our demands and convince her of her folly." He leaned back in his chair slightly. "After all, she's proven before what she's capable of doing to her fellow Valemen. We should not give her the opportunity."
    Gunthor shakes his head, "If we occupy the Eyrie Lady Jeyne will see it as an act of war. No we will present out demands to the Lady Jeyne and she will decide what happens there. I have been working to build support to get you reinstated as heir. When this conflict with the Greens is over her supporters strength will be drained from years of war as will her own troops, and if the Greens end up victorious she will be out of favor with the King. It is then we present our demands. She will not have the strength to fight a war and there will be little risk of Dragons coming to burn us from our homes." He pauses looking at the young man, "Be patient Ser Eldric you are safe here, but if we move to quickly we will find ourselves both in the state your father ended."

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    "Look Royce, this conversation is really close to what some may call treason." Templeton says

"I am not your friend, but I am not your enemy either. At least for now. I'll tell you one thing, though. If you go through with this, you better be quick. You have the momentum advantage so use it. But keep in mind that when Lady Jeyne returns from war, she'll not come alone, she'll come with the dragons."

Having spoken his piece, Templeton gets up and gets ready to leave
    "It is not treason for Lords to express their displeasure with the Lady Paramounts decision, I believe you did so yourself recently." Gunthor says gesturing for the man to sit back down, "Do you disagree with this Ser? Had you sat back to let Lady Jeyne do whatever she wished regardless of tradition you would be answering to Waxly now would you not?"

"It is not treason for Lords to express their displeasure with the Lady Paramounts decision, I believe you did so yourself recently." Gunthor says gesturing for the man to sit back down, "Do you disagree with this Ser? Had you sat back to let Lady Jeyne do whatever she wished regardless of tradition you would be answering to Waxly now would you not?"

"I asked Lady Jeyne to give me what is mine by right, I did not ask her to name a traitor her heir. Don't you dare compare yourself to me."
    says Templeton, clearly pissed off.

"Go suck the other Valelords' cock, all this chit chat means nothing to me. You'll have my sword if I think that will be beneficial to me at the time, and that is that."

"You dare insult me in my own home." Lord Gunthor's anger flares at this. "You go back to your hovel and hope we never cross blades or I will send you to the Stranger." The bronze giant stands, and towers over the other man. The fury clear on his face, "Get out you are no longer welcome on my lands."

"Blah, blah, blah." Templeton eyes meet those of the bronze giant "I hope your sword is sharper than your wit, or else you'll be worms food in no time, old man."

And with that, the Knight of Ninestars left.

The shield becomes his asset as he shrinks behind it. Gods be damned, the device was planned long before. Tomyn gritted his teeth. He thought of his trainer as a bastard, letting his master make his mistakes. He continued his assault, a this point entering a rage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast