600 Archers
    600 Men at Arms
    300 Light Cavalry
    300 Heavy Cavalry

Vassals
    -HouseTollet of Grey Glen
    -House Shett of Gull Tower
    -House Coldwater of Coldwater Burn

Last edited by Trot; January 18, 2019 at 07:08 PM.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Default Re: Runestone, Seat of House Royce

A sole cloaked rider appears before the gates of House Royce. He claims to be a landless knight, looking to stay the night. His attire and horse suggest that he is, indeed, a knight, but the fabric and armor suggest he is, at the very least, well off.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The man is led to a small solar where he awaited Lord Gunthor. It would not be long before the man entered. The bronze giant was an imposing figure tall and strong. It was said when he dressed in his bronze armor and wielded his war hammer he looked more like one of the clansmen of the mountains then a night of the vale. Still Gunthor was a skilled strategist as well as a accomplished warrior and he had earned some respect in the melee in his youth. Gunthor grunts as he looks at the figure, "If you want to pass as a hedge knight I recommend not wearing so fine of clothes." He said after a minute studying the figure. He recognized him, but he wasn't going to let the other man know that yet. "What do you want from me?" It was interesting to see this man last he had heard his father was still locked away in the sky cells for opposing the rule of Lady Jeyne.

"A stay for the night first, and a proposition second, My Lord," Eldric spoke to the Lord, dressed up in full battle attire. He raised an eyebrow and added jokingly, "That is, if there is not currently a war going on in your hold. I do not intend to meet face to face with that hammer of yours, and am sorry if I somehow conveyed hostility." He wondered if the reason that he'd had to wait was that Royce had to don his armor. If he were Lord, he certainly wouldn't dress up like that every morning. "Say, do you have something to eat or drink for me? Although it pains me to admit it, the road has left me quite spent."

"My apologies ser you caught me during sparring practice." He set down the weapon and paused glancing at the man once more, "bring him bread and wine and show him to a guest room." He addresses a servant now. "We will take supper in my private dining room." He turns back to the guest. "We will speak in greater length after we both have had a chance to freshen up."

Tomyn hissed as the wine sloshed from the goblet. He glared at the younger charges, mere charges. He was a squire, one charged with actual martial responsibilities. He hadn't actually been tested at length, but he performed will at tourneys...

At length he appeared at his master's side, and filled his cup without a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Tomyn hissed as the wine sloshed from the goblet. He glared at the younger charges, mere charges. He was a squire, one charged with actual martial responsibilities. He hadn't actually been tested at length, but he performed will at tourneys...

At length he appeared at his master's side, and filled his cup without a word.

Gunthor took the cup and sipped. "You have the rest of the day off Tomyn," He said nodding to the youth, "I expect you at dawn for sparring practice."

With that Gunthor took to his chambers to prepare for the day.

-----------------------

The next day as the sun was coming up the Bronze Giant would be found the early morning light glinting off his Bronze armor two practice swords in hand. Although the giant preferred a warhammer the swords were better for sparring with the youth. He passed one to the boy. "We will work forms today." Most people would leave their master of arms to this type of work but Gunthor found that getting up early to train and spar relaxed him and made the rest of the day more bearable. There was something relaxing about it to him. Battle was simple two men separated by nothing more then strength at arms. It was because of this he woke up before dawn every morning and spent some time in the yard. "Lets see what you remember from yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Gunthor took the cup and sipped. "You have the rest of the day off Tomyn," He said nodding to the youth, "I expect you at dawn for sparring practice."

With that Gunthor took to his chambers to prepare for the day.
    Surprised, Tomyn decided to spend the day sparring with a stable boy he had grown to know. He was younger, but bigger, fatter if truth be told. THe sound of wood ringing on wood was heard late into the afternoon until Tomyn took to the local township to view the ladies of the night beckoning their patrons.

The next day as the sun was coming up the Bronze Giant would be found the early morning light glinting off his Bronze armor two practice swords in hand. Although the giant preferred a warhammer the swords were better for sparring with the youth. He passed one to the boy. "We will work forms today." Most people would leave their master of arms to this type of work but Gunthor found that getting up early to train and spar relaxed him and made the rest of the day more bearable. There was something relaxing about it to him. Battle was simple two men separated by nothing more then strength at arms. It was because of this he woke up before dawn every morning and spent some time in the yard. "Lets see what you remember from yesterday."
    To his dismay Tomyn still found that the weighted drill sword still dropped almost entirely to the sand of the drill yard when it was passed to him. He was growing stronger, the fall was less complete that it was a year ago, but he was still ashamedly aware of his own weakness. It lasted only a moment as he hefted it into position. He leveled his drill sword into the proper position, thinking blankly that Valyrian Steel was supposedly lighter than his practice sword and yet somehow multitudes more deadly. "Yes, my Lord." He was ready to receive this day's wages of bruises.

Gunthor begins slowly. Allowing the youth plenty of time to counter the blows, and correcting the errors in form. "Remember lad you have to anticipate you opponents moves. Be ready for anything they throw at you." The beginning was slow. Stroke and counter stroke. Forms flowing from one to the other each making the battle look fluid. Anytime the boy made a mistake Gunthor's sword would dash in leaving a bruise as punishment. "When an opening reveals itself don't hesitate go to end it." He continues slow strikes to allow the boy a chance to practice for a few minutes until he makes a mistake to see if the boy would take advantage. Overstretches leaving an opening for the youths sword if he would just take it.

"My apologies ser you caught me during sparring practice." He set down the weapon and paused glancing at the man once more, "bring him bread and wine and show him to a guest room." He addresses a servant now. "We will take supper in my private dining room." He turns back to the guest. "We will speak in greater length after we both have had a chance to freshen up."
    After washing up and changing his riding leathers out for more formal attire, Eldric joined Lord Royce for the evening's dinner. He was glad that he now enjoyed the protection of guest right, of course, but this meeting would tell if he found a friend or an enemy in Lord Royce.

He would be led to a small private dining chamber where only Lord Royce and his eldest son were in attendance. As he sat down trays of food were set out. Gunthor looked up and scratched his beard thoughtfully.
    "So Ser Eldric, what brings you to my home. Last I saw you you were in the Eyrie as a ...guest." He paused on the last word considering. "What brings you here now in a poor excuse for hedge knights attire?" He pauses letting the man settle in to hear the young mans tale.

Eldric kept his mouth shut for a moment. "So you know who I am then," he concluded. "I don't believe we've met, but I'm sure you remember who my father is. Or was, I should say. Word is that he fell out of a Sky Cell. May have been murdered by that of an aunt that calls herself Lady Paramount for all I know though. In the end, it doesn't matter. I had to flee for my own safety, but rest assured I am not beaten. I still believe she is wholly unsuited to hold the position she has, and word is that she would go against custom in determining her heir. That title should rightfully be my fathers', and with his passing, mine." He ate some, wondering if he'd overplayed his hand by giving his thoughts so freely and tactless. "Now, if you would have me leave Runestone, I would understand. All I ask is that you do not turn me over to my Aunt. However, if what I say sounds like the truth, I would consider you a great friend and ally."

Gunthor considers the words thoughtfully. "I have no particular love of the Lady Jeyne." He said after a long pause glancing thoughtfully at his son. "But I also have no wish to go to war with the Eyrie. The might of Runestone is strong but to attack without the support of more lords would be a suicide." He pauses considering, "I will not turn you over to your kin nor will I deny you the sanctity of Runestone. As long as you remain in the walls you have the protection of me and my house. If the Lady Jeyne wishes to take you from here then she can be the one starting a war with Runestone." If she was the one to attack him the other lords of the Vale would see her as a tyrant, and side against her. "However I will not raise arms against her at this time." He had some thinking to do, and some men to talk to.

Eldric weighed his options, before stating, "That is good enough for me, Lord Royce. The justice you have shown me today will not be forgotten. I shall accept your invitation to stay here, then, while I bide my time and rally support. In both our best interests, it would be best if I were a no-name soldier in your employ for now, rather than nobility, I believe. The longer that they're looking for me, the more time I have to prepare for what's coming." He drank some wine. It tasted good, almost like a small victory.

"Very well Ser Rivers," He says smoothly. "You have the freedom of Runestone and are welcome to join me sparring in the morning." He nods taking a bite of the boar and following with a sip of wine. "And you may keep the quarters assigned." He pauses thoughtfully. "I do not know how long your presence here will remain secret though. Rumor spreads on the wind and I am sure there are already ravens going out from spies saying Lord Royce took a private dinner with a strange hedge knight." It was not uncommon in the realms for lords to employ servants and others as eyes in rivals courts.

Gunthor begins slowly. Allowing the youth plenty of time to counter the blows, and correcting the errors in form. "Remember lad you have to anticipate you opponents moves. Be ready for anything they throw at you." The beginning was slow. Stroke and counter stroke. Forms flowing from one to the other each making the battle look fluid. Anytime the boy made a mistake Gunthor's sword would dash in leaving a bruise as punishment. "When an opening reveals itself don't hesitate go to end it." He continues slow strikes to allow the boy a chance to practice for a few minutes until he makes a mistake to see if the boy would take advantage. Overstretches leaving an opening for the youths sword if he would just take it.
    Tomyn remained diligently on the defensive, allowing his shield to do most of the work. He spotted perhaps one opportunity...then maybe the second...Perhaps this was being arranged. He was somewhat irked that his teacher was leaving options open but upon this realization, he was also irked that it has been made obvious to strike twice already. He lunged with his drill sword into the breach.

Royce grunts as the boys stroke lands. "Why did you hesitate?" he asked. "When your opponent gives you an opening you go for it at once. A real fight won't last long lad, and if you hesitate you're dead." He pauses taking the time to examine his young charge. He sets his blade down and gestures to the servants to bring over water for the two. It was not a warm day, but still working in the yard would quickly build a sweat.

"You'll likely only get one chance in a real battle to end things." Gunthor says looking at the youth. "And when you see it you have to take it." He pauses again looking out at the square where two other knights were training. "Watch there," he points at the taller of the combatants. "He is probing using his reach to keep his opponent at a disadvantage." He stops for a moment as the two knights clash blades real quick. "Look at what the smaller man is doing. He is darting in and out attempting to bait an attack an open the guard." They watch as the bigger man over extends and his footwork slips the smaller man darts past the guard and lands a solid blow on the breast plate. "See how he moves in and takes full advantage of the distraction. Slipping under the guard and getting where his opponents longer reach puts him at a disadvantage."

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Having received Lord Royce's invitation, the Knight of Ninestars arrives at Runestone with his usual retinue.
    Last edited by Pinkerton; January 19, 2019 at 01:29 PM.

Tomyn's eyes narrowed, it had been a scheme. "Another chance, my lord, and I would not hesitate." he said with a slight crack in his voice. Truly he was still somewhat small for his age, but as his lunge range would increase, he was sure it would improve. His father was a tall man and he had prayed to the Warrior every night, why shouldn't he be tall as well? He tasted salt in his mouth as it trickled down to his mouth beneath his helm. This time he cast aside his shield and gripped the weighted drill sword with two hands. There was a chance he would be allowed to win to prove the point, or there was the chance he would go to his chambers this night with naught but bread and water and some bruises to tend to. He lunged...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Having received Lord Royce's invitation, the Knight of Ninestars arrives at Runestone with his usual retinue.
    The knight is led to a small sitting room where he is given food and wine while he waits. After a short time he is joined by Lord Gunthor Royce who sat taking another glass of wine from the servants. "I am pleased you could join me today Ser I trust your trip was pleasant?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Tomyn's eyes narrowed, it had been a scheme. "Another chance, my lord, and I would not hesitate." he said with a slight crack in his voice. Truly he was still somewhat small for his age, but as his lunge range would increase, he was sure it would improve. His father was a tall man and he had prayed to the Warrior every night, why shouldn't he be tall as well? He tasted salt in his mouth as it trickled down to his mouth beneath his helm. This time he cast aside his shield and gripped the weighted drill sword with two hands. There was a chance he would be allowed to win to prove the point, or there was the chance he would go to his chambers this night with naught but bread and water and some bruises to tend to. He lunged...
    Gunthor side steps the youths lunging blow, and pulls his sword around whacking the boys wrist. "Sloppy," He said as the crack rings out across the yard. "Go again lad and try and get into my guard."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast