Thread: Driftmark

Default Driftmark

A view of High Tide and the surrounding lands. Miniature by the Hull brothers, famous painters and illuminators. From Lord Corlys' heavily illustrated edition of the Seven Pointed Star.

DRIFTMARK

riftmark is a low-lying and fertile island. It is named after driftwood brought by the tides. Settlements on the island include the castles of Driftmark and High Tide, the towns Hull and Spicetown, and its reknowned shipyards. Driftmark was settled by House Velaryon prior to the arrival of House Targaryen at Dragonstone. Ships from Driftmark allowed the Velaryons to control the middle of the narrow sea prior to Aegon's Conquest. Because the ancestral castle Driftmark was damp and cramped, Lord Corlys Velaryon constructed a new castle to house the Driftwood Throne, High Tide. Hull and Spicetown also developed on the prospering island. When King Viserys I Targaryen brought his court to Driftmark for the funeral of of Ser Laenor Velaryon in 120 AC, the number of dragons gathered on the island led Septon Eustace to call it the new Valyria.

High Tide is built from pale stone, the same material used in the Eyrie. Its slender towers are crowned with roofs of shining silver. When the waters of Blackwater Bay are at high tide, the castle is connected to the island of Driftmark by only a causeway. The marvelous castle houses the many riches and fantastic treasures of Corlys Velaryon -which comprise a true cabinet of wonders and curiosities-, and also the Driftwood Throne, given to the Velaryon forebears by the Merling King when they settled in Driftmark. Alledgedly. Corlys' many treasures include wondrous gifts to him bestowed by rulers far and wide and curiosities bought in Asshai-by-the-Shadow, Yi Ti, Leng and the Free Cities. The Sea Snake's natural curiosity is fullfilled with the engrandizement of his personal collection. The chambers of the castle are wonderfully furbished, its walls covered with the best tapestries and dazzling frescoes; the reception hall has a splendid hammerbeam roof, with carved, painted and gilded marine creatures, most prominent among them the Velaryon's traditional badge and heraldic device, the seahorse. The homage tower, the keep, holds the lordly chambers, with carved windows overlooking the Narrow Sea. There is a formidable stable for Rhaenys' mount, Meleys, carved into the rock, but, once, it could even house three of them, the mounts of Laena and Laenor, Vhagar and Seasmoke.

HOUSE VELARYON

Corlys, the Sea Snake

Corlys Velaryon

-The Sea Snake-

Artwork by Oznerol-1516

Titles: Lord of Tides, Master of Driftmark.

Born 53 AC (76 years of age).

Children: Laena Velaryon (born 93 AC and died 120 AC), Laenor Velaryon (born 94 AC and died 120 AC).

Traits:

• Old like a mountain, but still in the pink: +3 Survival
    • The Wealthiest Man in the Seven Kingdoms: +3 Wealth

Temperament:
    Melancholic:

• Haggler: This character is obsessed with getting the best possible deal for themselves, and ever watchful (even paranoid) for anyone trying to rip them off. This sort of fellow is rarely the sort others like, but none can deny their ability to sniff for gold. +7.5% income and improves loot from raids, -2 Charisma.

Biography:

he Velaryons were, undoubtedly, the first house of the realm, for their kindred to the royal line, their wealth and their domain over waves. So many masters of ships had belonged to their family that the office was almost hereditary. The royal fleet, in fact, was mostly comprised of Velaryon ships, built at the extensive shipyards of Hull, in the isle of Driftmark, who had always been their seat. Many consorts had they provided to the line of the Dragons, and Targaryen and Velaryon were closely related, the last and most prominent being the marriage of Rhaenys Targaryen and Corlys Velaryon, a marriage that proved to be undoubtedly fruitful.

Corlys Velaryon was the Lord of Driftmark, and to him was given the hand of his kinswoman Rhaenys, who before the Great Council of 101 was, by many, considered the heiress of Jaehaerys I, and undoubtedly, the favored claimant by queen Alysanne, who never understood why a woman was to be set aside in favor of a son. Both were of Valyrian blood, but in Rhaenys raged the fires of Baratheon, for her mother had been a daughter of Storm’s End. Two children were born, Laenor and Laena, Valyrian as none other, dragonriders and married to the royal line, Laenor to Rhaenyra and Laena to her uncle, Daemon, the Rogue Prince. Their tales are too long to be retold here, but both died untimely, leaving Rhaenys and Corlys without a clear heir and childless; sad is the fate of the parents who have to burn a child.

Rhaenys was a fearless dragonrider but, he was a sailor like none other. Corlys was a natural born navigator, who learned to walk in a ship’s deck and who played among ropes and sails as a todler. At young age he captained his own ship and, in due time, he would make Nine Great Travels aboard the most magnificent ship to ever grace the seas, after Lady Farmann’s Sun Chaser -that might or might not crossed the Sunset Sea and circunnavigated the world-, the Sea Snake. Aboard his carrack he crossed every sea known to man and visited all corners of the world, from Yi Ti to Ibben, including Asshai-by-the-Shadow, Leng and the Summer Islands. Every travel he would return with marvels beyond imagination and, during his last travel, he sailed to Qarth, alongside a small fleet, and returned with all ships ladden to the deck with spices, silk, exotic goods and even elephants, which by a single stroke make him the richest man in all Westeros. So great was his wealth that he abandoned Driftmark castle and built the splendid High Tide, a castle of slender towers, of pale stone and silver roofs. At the shadow of its carved walls arose a trading hub of note, Spicetown, where merchants of far and beyond gathered, and where, alas, his heir had to meet a sad end, murdered by his alledged lover. In fact, so much trade flowed into Driftmark, at the mouth of the Gullet, that King’s Landing trade was diminished by a good share.

A long time had passed since his last travel, but Corlys was no less the man he had been years prior, he was the fabled Sea Snake, adventurer and man of reknown, whose life was written down by maesters at the Citadel and whose travels were sung in hamlets and villages all across the Narrow Sea. And now, at the juncture of eventful years, he clinged to life like a sailor in a shipwreck, but still as resolute as ever. Once gold and silver woven together, his hair was now more white than anything, but neither his wits nor his strenght were diminished. His were the seas and the tides, and his would be the blood that would one day mount the Iron Throne, in a way or another. Some would say that Laenor fathered no sons, but that was not spoken in Driftmark, for the alternative was too shameful to bear and none dared to say as much in front of Corlys. Moreso, peace of mind was reached when both Jacaerys and Lucerys were betrothed to their cousins, Rhaena and Baela, twins of Daemon Targaryen and his second wife, Laena, and thus, undoutedbly of Corlys' line.

Velaryons

There are many who can claim to be of Velaryon blood, in no part thanks to Lord Corlys' sire and grandsire, Corwyn and Daemon Velaryon, who both fathered many sons. Some of these kinsmen were famously accused of treason after doubting the paternity of Rhaenyra's children and demanding Driftmark to be settled in their line after Lord Velaryon's death: Vaemond, eldest nephew of Corlys was beheaded by Daemon and fed to his dragon, while his five cousins had their tongues removed. Daemion and Daeron Velaryon, sons of Vaemond, both were reconciled with Corlys and given lands in Driftmark to hold as their feud.

There are two young men of Velaryon blood, both born and bred in Hull, where the Velaryon's shipyards are located. They are Adam and Alyn of Hull, their mother being a certain Marilda, the daughter of a shipwright. She is frequently seen at the shipyards, often underfoot. Marilda was sixteen years old when she gave birth to Addam in 114 AC, and she was barely eighteen when Alyn was birthed in 115 AC. She refused to name the father of her sons, and still does. After her father's death a decade later, Marilda sold his shipyard and used the proceeds to captain a trading cog she called Mouse. By 129 AC Marilda owned seven ships, which her sons served on. A small, quick and adventurous she is quite a woman. Her sons are famous in Driftmark, for they have remarkable Valyrian traits...

FLEET

Velaryon fleet.

Large Fleet: 100 Ships
    5 Carracks.
    25 Galleys.
    30 dromonds.
    40 levy ships.

ECONOMY

Yearly income.
    Rich province: 60,000 GD.
    +22,5%
    ---------------------------
    Total=73,500 GD.

Last edited by Oznerol; January 14, 2019 at 06:38 AM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Default Re: Driftmark

Lord Corlys grunted as he covered himself with a furry blanket. Weather was growing colder and more humid. The sea did not improve his health, at all, and his bones were already resentful, despite his chambers in High Tide were well isolated from the elements raging outside. It was ironic that sea, which he had always been so fond of, could be such a bothersome thing at his age. He wasn't a withered thing, but time always takes its toll on everyone, from peasant to lord. His joints were stiff and his left hand felt like a knot of pain, gout was settling in. He moved in the carved seat, the right hand holding a cup of hippocras, warm and sweet like a summer dream. Corlys grimaced, his moustache twisting, framing his thin lips. The old lord looked at his hands, covered in liver spots, the knuckles like old knots.

How old have we grown...

He never imagined this. Corlys still remembered having dinner with the Emperor of Leng, in his palace with paper walls and curved rooftops, surrounded by ladies playing lutes, their faces painted white with lead, drinking a bitter but invigorating bewerage made from leaves. Amazingly enough, even that far they knew of dragons, the Doom and Valyria. Same happened in Yi Ti, where he glanced wyvern-like dragons, carved, coiling around pillars and beams, gilded and brightly colored. He was still young, hair falling loose upon his shoulders, pink-faced and nimble of feet, when he knelt thrice before the Blue Emperor, a mysterious being clad in azure clothes, whose face was shrouded by perfumed smoke and incense; Bo Qianglong, tenth of his line. Corlys smirked remembering how the steward called him Collis Walielian, the Haishé, the Sea Snake. Velaryon moved again in the seat, looking for comfort, glancing a porcelain vase next to the wide fireplace, white and painted in blue with delicate fire-breating wyrms. It was a miracle how all those things survived the waves and the many years since they were brought from afar. Memories were still vivid, but, those relics did much to bring them to life. He remembered still how much delight Laenor took in dazzling lords and knights alike with the large pearl, fished in the Jade Sea, that Corlys had gifted him for his sixteenth name day. A year before, Laena had loved, above all gifts, a saddle, inlaid with ivory brought from Qarth, that she quickly used to mount Vhagar. But that was the past, both his children were dead and he was dangerously close to drowning in memories...

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

"Corlys."

Thus spoke Rhaenys Targaryen, Queen That Never Was and lady wife to the Lord of Driftmark, as she entered the room. With light, almost catlike steps that most would sooner see coming from a warrior twenty or thirty years younger than her, she moved to her husband's side, scarcely making a sound as she did so. The black and crimson dress she was wearing over her lean frame seemed to hardly inhibit her, and her hair - out of its long, Visenya-styled plait, for once - tumbled freely over her shoulders, the Baratheon black almost entirely turned white with age and stress so that she now looked more a Targaryen than she did in her prime.

"You should be resting in bed, my dear." The warrior-princess spoke with an uncommon tenderness as she reached out to take one of Corlys' hands in her own, her lined and wrinkled face taut with concern. "I do not wish to sound as great a bore as our Maester, but I do not think he was wrong when he advised not to strain yourself unless you absolutely must."

His liliac eyes had followed her figure as she closed by. Rhaenys had always been a good match. He remembered, clearly, the many times they had crossed the Narrow Sea together, she on Meleys, the queenly beast that was hers, and he on the Sea Snake, welcomed like kings in Pentos, Tyrosh and Lys; they were young and enthusiastic back then. Corlys remembered how her belly swell after a visit to Braavos and how Laena was born on this very castle, screaming and kicking like a little beast. Shared lifetimes, despite he was one-and-twenty years her senior, he could not set their lifes apart.

"I will have enough rest when the Stranger comes. I can't stand being on that bed any longer"

Said Corlys, his lips twisted. He looked again to the porcelain vase by the fireplace.

"Do you remember that vase's pair? At eight Laenor kicked it, riding a broom pretending it was Vermithor"

A small sigh escaped Rhaenys' pursed lips, but those same lips soon rearranged themselves into a thin smile. It was heartening to know that, even as he neared his eightieth nameday, her husband was every bit as irrepressibly spirited and eager to move around on his own two feet as he was forty years ago.

"I do." Rhaenys chuckled, her smile growing wider at the memory. "As I recall, I was more cross with him than you were. In my defense though, I seem to remember he misbehaved quite a bit that day - smashing your vase was just the last straw." Now she would have exchanged a hundred such priceless porcelain vases for ten more minutes with her son, if she could.

"I always prefered this one, anyway"

He said, pointing at the surviving vase with a bony finger.

"He did. Willful children we had, Rhaenys. Must have taken after their mother"

Corlys sighs, removing the blanket and slightly leaning forward.

"A parent should not burn his children. It still pains me to see Seasmoke in Dragonstone. But even worse is to see Vhagar in that brat's hands"

A maester said that Laenor's funeral had so many dragons in attendance it looked like a new Valyria. He remembered little of that day, save the moment Seasmoke lighted the pyre, the silvery gauntlets covering Laenor's hands melting away, alongside his flesh, the brocade doublet and even the pearl. The one fished from the Jade Sea.

"What is left to us?"

"They had their father's adventurous spirit to go with their mother's temper and intensity. Quite the formidable combination." Rhaenys said, not a little sadly. The time for tears when reminiscing over their past had long gone, but even now the pull of memory was strong enough to erase the smile from her face. What parent could simply 'get over' the death of their children, after all? "There are times where I spy Seasmoke, and some part of me still hopes - for just the briefest second - that Laenor would wave to me from his grey back. Futile hopes, I know, but I daresay any mother who's lost a child would feel the same from time to time."

"I forget how little we actually know of dragons, sometimes." She shook her head at the mention of Vhagar, long ago claimed by Aemond Targaryen. "What possessed Vhagar to let that ill-natured thug to ride her so soon after our sweet daughter passed, I still don't rightly know." Dragons could be wild and unpredictable, the great and savage Vhagar more than most even, but Rhaenys expected at least a little consistency in its choice of riders.

"We still have each other, dear." The aged princess continued, suddenly sounding quite tired herself. "And our grandchildren. Whatever his other faults, cousin Viserys has given the realm, and us, many decades of peace and prosperity. I expect more of the same to follow when Rhaenyra succeeds him, which means plenty of time for us to watch the sunrise and sunset from High Tide's highest spire until the Seven call us away from this world." She audibly sighed at that prospect. "As much as I missed the glorious days when I and Meleys dodged Pentoshi scorpions in the Narrow Sea, I must admit, I think I've had enough excitement in my lifetime to be able to hang up that steel-and-copper armor of mine with no regrets. Let Baela, Jace and the others fight tomorrow's battles while we take a much-deserved break and sip warm wine before our hearth."

Here, far away from any observer but her lordly husband, the Queen That Never Was looked and sounded her age for perhaps the first time.

"Aye"

He replied. Corlys moved in the seat, for the millionth time. Losing both his children in short succession was heartbreaking, Lord Velaryon could hardly leave his chambers for months, leaving everything to stewards and retainers, while he languished, drunk with wine and grief.

"Hope died in me long ago, but still seeing that dragon, riderless, awakes something within my chest"

He acknowledged, sourly. Corlys was probably the richest man alive in the Seven Kingdoms, but he would exchange all his fabled wealth for his children.

"Vhagar is a hoary , she was only tempered by our daughter's will, but she always was, is and will be Visenya's beast"

He leans on his right elbow, the right arm afflicted by gout. Corlys grabs her hand, lovingly. He knew he had been unfaithful at times, and travelling far and wide he had met many women, but none with Rhaenys' fire.

"We do, we remain. We will always remain. Relics of old times"

He delivered a mirthless chuckle.

"Viserys is a good man. But I'm afraid of what will happen. The Seven kept me on this earth for a reason. Wolves and carrion circle us and I want to live long enough to see all this concluded, gods owe me as much"

His own daughter-in-law, Rhaenyra, was increasingly annoying, trying to force his hand on succession. His eyes looked sour and sad for a moment at the mention of their grandchildren.

"We should, indeed, just lay low, rest. Enjoy the last remaining years. But, life isn't always what we expect or want it to be"

Corlys sighed.

"What's there to fear, Corlys?" Rhaenys asked, her own mind wandering to the royal court. "Alicent and that egg-headed father of hers were always graspers, to be sure, but the King has never once given in to their pressure to make her son heir ahead of Rhaenyra. All the lords of the realm have publicly sworn to recognize her right of succession and know Viserys hasn't changed his mind on the matter once, no matter what schemes the Hightowers try. What could they possibly do to change anything?" With these words, she sounded like her old confident self.

Rhaenys circled around to the back of Corlys' chair, to lean in and gently drape her arms over his shoulders, down to his chest. "You know, I have to admit, I'm a little envious of her myself. That she'll be the first Queen of the Seven Kingdoms..." And not myself, like I should have been, went unspoken, but it was clear enough. Compounding matters, that Viserys' insistence on her inheriting the Iron Throne flew in the face of the precedent set by the Great Council that chose him over her to inherit from their grandfather, the Conciliator. At least her blood would end up becoming royalty in the end, though, with Laenor's sons sure to succeed Rhaenyra in time and Laena's daughters betrothed to them.

"Nothing"

He acknowledged. But the king was weak, growing even weaker with each moon turn, and he was surrounded by wolves.

"But you know old men see shadows where there are none. Even under the brightest sun"

Corlys' eyes wandered to the carved coat of arms over the fireplace, Velaryon's impaled with Targaryen. The supporters were a dragon and a stag.

"We were passed over too many times. No matter your grandmother always favored you"

Good Queen Alysanne quarreled with her husband over the matter.

"We sired kings, Rhaenys. Even if we could not rule ourselves"

"So we did. Is there another cup of hippocras around here?" Rhaenys looked up from her old husband, eyes now scanning the room. "Let us toast to Rhaenyra, soon to be first of her name, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men. And to the long and prosperous reign of our grandchildren after her." She had her suspicions about the male grandchildren, as many did, but this was neither the time nor the place to voice those concerns. And besides, Rhaenyra's eldest sons would soon be wed to the granddaughters she knew were of her blood and the Sea Snake's, an arrangement which had mollified her concerns greatly.

Corlys rings a silvery bell and a servant brings some appetizers and a coup of hippocras, as indicated.

"Let us toast"

Said the elderly lord.

"For our blood! For our princess!"

He said. One day, Baela would be queen and hers would be the heirs and such, Velaryons would be sitting in the throne of the conqueror. Corlys sipped, staring at his wife's eyes. Something was amiss, he felt, but didn't know what. He hoped his last years would be spent in tranquility and retirement.

"To our blood!" Rhaenys said, raising her cup to meet her husband's. "To the princess who will be Queen! And to our grandchildren, that they may enjoy a long and prosperous reign after her!"

After sipping from her cup, to steer the conversation away from the stormy waters of politics Rhaenys asked, "So - what do you intend to do in retirement, Corlys? Before you ask, I think we're going to have to rule out sailing anywhere north of Pentos, not that that should be a problem." She smirked playfully. "You know the Summer Isles are so much more fun than Braavos or, gods forbid, White Harbor."

"The Sea Snake can sail once more"

Corlys said. The ship's hull, retired, was stored in Hull, drydocked. Corlys intended it to be his gigantic coffin, like a prince of the Rhoynar.

"I've heard Lys offers new trade opportunities, the Rogare rules the city like it's dictator... Pentos and Tyrosh are too troublesome. But Lys, is the blood of Valyria"

He grabs her hand.

"Let's take my ship for a last travel and perch Meleys on the condottiero's palace, overlooking the sea. And after few months I will take you to Mereen..."

Corlys kisses her hand.

"...Astapor and Yunkai. Let's the Thirteen of Qarth flatter us with pleasantries. And we can spend a year among the flowered gardens of the Summer Islands, where the sun always warms the earth and beauty is celebrated. A joyous place to remind us of happier times"

"Sounds like you've been planning this adventure for quite some time." Rhaenys said, grinning as Corlys kissed her hand. "I can scarcely wait. Should we bring some of the grandchildren along? To Lys, at least. Slaver's Bay and beyond are too far for them, in my estimation. And besides, I'd like some alone time with my husband." Were they several decades younger that remark may have had a lustful edge to it, which Rhaenys was well aware of (even in jest) if her coy grin was any indication, but as old as they were, the truth was that she'd already be satisfied with just holding his hand and having him lean on her while they watched a meteor shower in Qarth or the sunset on Tall Trees Town's beach.

"I believe Baela would love to fly over to Lys. Her dragon is still small, but she can travel short distances and perch on the ship to rest"

Said Corlys, animated.

"Rhaena could acompany us too. With our twins by our side we could feel whole again"

Said the elderly lord.

"Then, we could travel alone. As long as my bones can stand and I have breath on my chest"

"I look forward to it, my love." The tall Rhaenys bent down to plant a kiss on Corlys' forehead with uncommon gentleness. "Now...I must go feed Meleys before she loses her temper, but I'll return afterwards, once I've had a bath of course. In the meantime, take it easy." A stricter edge entered her voice, but though it was a tone that brooked no argument, it wasn't particularly harsh either. "You've only just recovered from your illness, remember. I won't repeat the Maester's suggestion that you rest in bed some more, but I do want you to avoid straining yourself overmuch. Call the servants to help you if you must, that's what they're paid to do after all." She gave him a quick hug and smoothed his hair with one hand as she rose. "After all...the sooner you recover, the sooner we can embark on this vacation."

Corlys watched her leave, after nodding as an answer. When the door was closed the gaze wandered around the chamber, pausing for a moment on the vase, but he finally ended looking at the sunset through the carved window.

A raven arrives from Dragonstone, requesting the immediate presence of Lord Velaryon and his wife.