Thread: Campaign music question

Default Campaign music question

Hi guys,

In 2.3 I pretty much liked the Ptolemaic campaign music. It was not diverse, yes, but it felt original and true.

Since 2.35, there are more musics playing in the campaign map, but I like them less. They are sounding like "peplum" in my opinion. What's more, there's one piece where one can hear violin ? This one I cannot stand. I'm playing the Lagides, not the Elves of Lotr...

I understand the amount of work that has been put by the modders into this. So this is not a big critic.

However, I'd like to ask if there's a way I could change the campaign map music (ptolemaic) back to the 2.3 version ?

I would appreciate it. Thx in advance.

Default Re: Campaign music question

It's little tricky, and you'll have to follow these instructions EXACTLY or you might crash your build. Buyer beware:

1) If you don't have it already, download and install the free editor "Notepad++". You'll want to use it for all the editing which follows. Other editors *might* work, but there's a risk they'll insert bogus characters.

2) Using notepad++, open the mods\ebii\data\descr_sounds_music.txt file in your v2.35 build

3) Highlight lines 1374 through 1383 (these are the Ptolemaioi campaign map music file references)

4) Copy the following lines and paste them OVER everything highlighted in step 3 above:

Code:
    				Michael_Levy_Ancient_Harps_of_Kemet.mp3
    				Michael_Levy_Hymn_to_Osiris.mp3
    				EB_Eastern_Greek_Theme.mp3
    				Michael_Levy_Ancient_Visions.mp3
    				Mediterranean_Waves.mp3
    				EB_Semitic_Theme.mp3
    5) If you did this correctly, EB_Semitic_Theme.mp3 will now be on line 1380

6) Save the file and close it

7) Look inside the mods\ebii\data\sounds folder and delete all eight files that end in .dat or .idx

8) Start a new campaign. Warning - deleting the sound files can result in a one-time CTD, but it won't recur, just start up EB2 again and everything should work.

I can't promise this will be save-game compatible, but it will restore the ptolemaioi campaign map music to it's v2.3 configuration.
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    It's little tricky, and you'll have to follow these instructions EXACTLY or you might crash your build. Buyer beware:

1) If you don't have it already, download and install the free editor "Notepad++". You'll want to use it for all the editing which follows. Other editors *might* work, but there's a risk they'll insert bogus characters.

2) Using notepad++, open the mods\ebii\data\descr_sounds_music.txt file in your v2.35 build

3) Highlight lines 1374 through 1383 (these are the Ptolemaioi campaign map music file references)

4) Copy the following lines and paste them OVER everything highlighted in step 3 above:

Code:
                    Michael_Levy_Ancient_Harps_of_Kemet.mp3
                    Michael_Levy_Hymn_to_Osiris.mp3
                    Michael_Levy_Ancient_Visions.mp3
                    Mediterranean_Waves.mp3
                    EB_Semitic_Theme.mp3
    5) If you did this correctly, EB_Semitic_Theme.mp3 will now be on line 1380

6) Save the file and close it

7) Look inside the mods\ebii\data\sounds folder and delete all eight files that end in .dat or .idx

8) Start a new campaign. Warning - deleting the sound files can result in a one-time CTD, but it won't recur, just start up EB2 again and everything should work.

I can't promise this will be save-game compatible, but it will restore the ptolemaioi campaign map music to it's v2.3 configuration.
    Thank you so much for this explanation in great details. i'm still very much in my current campaign so I won't take the risk to corrupt it. Yet, when I restart one, I'll be sure to do that.

May I ask what was the exact name of the track that I was complaining about, and why it was included ?

Quote Originally Posted by JC_von_Preussen View Post
    Thank you so much for this explanation in great details. i'm still very much in my current campaign so I won't take the risk to corrupt it. Yet, when I restart one, I'll be sure to do that.

May I ask what was the exact name of the track that I was complaining about, and why it was included ?
    We adjusted some of the tracks in order to keep all factions from sounding alike, in particular for the Eastern and East Greek factions. There was also a bug in v2.3 that kept the "Winter-only" tracks from playing, so those were mostly combined with the "Summer" group and thus it might have been one of those. I did spend a LOT of time playtesting the Ptolemaioi and personally I prefer the new tracks. People with different musical preferences? Who could IMAGINE such a thing!?!?
    EBII Council

Of course, of course. This was not a criticism.

It's just that one of the track sounded like it would have been maybe more adapted to a celt faction imo.

Thx for the input and efforts man.