Thread: 2.3 -> 2.35 ... How come a lot of infantry charge values have been reduced to 1?

Default 2.3 -> 2.35 ... How come a lot of infantry charge values have been reduced to 1?

As far as I can tell, it seems to be predominantly swordsmen and spearmen. However, hoplites conspicuously have 4 and elite hoplites have 6.

Default Re: 2.3 -> 2.35 ... How come a lot of infantry charge values have been reduced to 1?

...are you sure you're looking at right stat? The infantry with ranged weapons will show charge 1 because that's associated with ranged weapons, but their actual charge value will come from their secondary weapon, and only really low quality troops, mostly levy skirmishers, have charge 1 on that.

Default Re: 2.3 -> 2.35 ... How come a lot of infantry charge values have been reduced to 1?

I'm looking at the custom battles screen.

In 2.3, the charge values would reflect what I assume to be the melee weapon because they were values like 4-9 etc. for infantry.

Now that you mention it, only line infantry with secondary missile weapons have the 1 charge. Skirmishers seem to show proper charge. For example, cohors reformata shows 1 but antesignani show 4.

Perhaps this has something to do with how line infantry with javelins behave more like they did in RTW now?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Sun_Stealer View Post
    I'm looking at the custom battles screen.

In 2.3, the charge values would reflect what I assume to be the melee weapon because they were values like 4-9 etc. for infantry.

Now that you mention it, only line infantry with secondary missile weapons have the 1 charge. Skirmishers seem to show proper charge. For example, cohors reformata shows 1 but antesignani show 4.

Perhaps this has something to do with how line infantry with javelins behave more like they did in RTW now?

This is a common issue. Don't trust all the unit card stats, because some do not take into account primary vs secondary weapon, etc. If you want to find the correct values, look in the export_desc_unit file. Unfortunately the in-game unit card showing values for the javelin and making it impossible to see the unit's base charge bonus is a vanilla issue that can't be fixed. Once you verify yourself in the EDU file what the real values are, just trust the engine does take them into account correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    This is a common issue. Don't trust all the unit card stats, because some do not take into account primary vs secondary weapon, etc. If you want to find the correct values, look in the export_desc_unit file. Unfortunately the in-game unit card showing values for the javelin and making it impossible to see the unit's base charge bonus is a vanilla issue that can't be fixed. Once you verify yourself in the EDU file what the real values are, just trust the engine does take them into account correctly.
    As myarta said, the unit card (and summary on Custom Battle roster) reports garbage. It shows only the primary weapon's charge value, which is actually 0 for a javelin, but it won't report that, so shows it as 1. Either way, it's not only wrong, but irrelevant, since the charge value that matters is that for the secondary weapon, which isn't shown.

Check out the Cryoshakespeare's submod for this btw

I was going to self-promote, but Stannis, this is the real measure of my success! And yeah, it is a matter of the charge value being displayed for the primary weapon (the javelin). My submod just adds fully fleshed out stats in the unit description, you can find it here - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...it-statistics)

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    As myarta said, the unit card (and summary on Custom Battle roster) reports garbage. It shows only the primary weapon's charge value, which is actually 0 for a javelin, but it won't report that, so shows it as 1. Either way, it's not only wrong, but irrelevant, since the charge value that matters is that for the secondary weapon, which isn't shown.
    Can you please explain why do the unit cards show wrong stats? Is there a scripting reason behind this?

Thanks.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Der Böse Wolf View Post
    Can you please explain why do the unit cards show wrong stats? Is there a scripting reason behind this?

Thanks.
    No there isn't a scripting reason, it's badly designed code on CA's part. However they chose to construct the UI reads the stats wrongly.