Thread: Sishui Pass (Fortified Pass) siege battle CTD

Default Sishui Pass (Fortified Pass) siege battle CTD

Hi there,

I'm reporting a CTD I'm getting while loading a siege battle at Sishui Pass while playing as Cao Clan on turn 2. It's the "Uh, oh" one.

Here's the system.log.txt: https://ufile.io/77ai4

If the game path seems odd, it's supposed to be so.

Cheers!

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Sishui Pass (Fortified Pass) siege battle CTD

I just tested the same situation and had no issues.

I am, however, having issues opening the zip file with 7zip. Can you re-upload as a compressed (zipped) folder as opposed to using 7zip? Also, if you do not have your log set to trace, can you set it to trace and then replicate the error so it is recorded in the system.log? If it is already a trace log, then never mind.

Thank you, sir!
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I just tested the same situation and had no issues.

I am, however, having issues opening the zip file with 7zip. Can you re-upload as a compressed (zipped) folder as opposed to using 7zip? Also, if you do not have your log set to trace, can you set it to trace and then replicate the error so it is recorded in the system.log? If it is already a trace log, then never mind.

Thank you, sir!
    I used WinRar, but here's the same thing using 7Zip: https://uploadfiles.io/z41i0

Also, the version of the mod I'm playing is the latest one (3.0.030).
    Last edited by Dominick; January 03, 2019 at 06:40 AM.

Thank you for that

Is it a repeatable crash? I'm assuming it's a new campaign after applying the 3.0.030 Patch? Looking at your log, I didn't really see anything indicative as to why it crashed. Faction_banner_england_trans.texture is the last thing listed in the log before the crash, so it could have been a faulty/corrupted download with that file. Unzip the attachment and place the texture file in your data/banners/textures folder : faction_banner_england_trans.zip

If that doesn't work, and considering the log doesn't give us any clear indication as to what is going on or why, there are really only two routes you can take. First, you can try to start a new campaign (if you haven't already). If that doesn't clear up the issue, your second option is a clean re-install; delete the rotk folder, install (in order) 3.0.000, then the 3.0.016 Patch & the 3.0.030 Patch.

Thank you for that

Is it a repeatable crash? I'm assuming it's a new campaign after applying the 3.0.030 Patch? Looking at your log, I didn't really see anything indicative as to why it crashed. Faction_banner_england_trans.texture is the last thing listed in the log before the crash, so it could have been a faulty/corrupted download with that file. Unzip the attachment and place the texture file in your data/banners/textures folder : faction_banner_england_trans.zip

If that doesn't work, and considering the log doesn't give us any clear indication as to what is going on or why, there are really only two routes you can take. First, you can try to start a new campaign (if you haven't already). If that doesn't clear up the issue, your second option is a clean re-install; delete the rotk folder, install (in order) 3.0.000, then the 3.0.016 Patch & the 3.0.030 Patch.
    It is a repeatable crash. I've tried reinstalling, starting multiple campaigns and replacing the file with the one you've shared here, nothing works. The critical part of the system.log.txt is the same.

Do you by any chance have the -forbidden to talk about on Total War Center- installed (I don't) to use more GB of RAM? I'm trying to figure out what's wrong here myself as well.
    Last edited by Dominick; January 03, 2019 at 03:56 PM.

I do use -that which shall not be named- on my end. But I will pester Gig to check this thread to see if he can’t use his expertise to figure out the problem.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You might be having a problem with folder path length:

C:\Users\domin\Desktop\New folder\Medieval 2 Total War\Medieval II Total War

That's already 77 characters to just go to the root of M2TW, now go to one of the attachment files (they are the trouble makers) and you end up with this (151 chars):

C:\Users\domin\Desktop\New folder\Medieval 2 Total War\Medieval II Total War\mods\rotk\data\unit_models\attachmentsets\final asian_mongols_norm.texture

It's a problem we came across in EBII and that's why went to the trouble of changing the default 'attachmentsets' folder to 'att' and kept the file names as short as possible.
    This doesn't appear to be steam so test this by simply creating a c:\games folder and move the root of your M2TW installation (Medieval II Total War) there and rename it M2TW.
    Should then look like this: C:\games\m2tw\mods\rotk - which brings the length to get to that texture down to 88, just over half.
    Now start rotk via the bat file (your desktop shortcut will need correction).

If that solves the problem then reversing the above, uninstalling M2TW and re-installing is advised. You might run into this problem with other mods as well if left unchanged.
    You can move the rotk folder somewhere else before uninstalling - that way you only have to fix the shortcut after re-installing and moving it back.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 03, 2019 at 10:01 PM.

I do use -that which shall not be named- on my end. But I will pester Gig to check this thread to see if he can’t use his expertise to figure out the problem.
    I've tried it as well, it didn't fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus
    You might be having a problem with folder path length:

C:\Users\domin\Desktop\New folder\Medieval 2 Total War\Medieval II Total War

That's already 77 characters to just go to the root of M2TW, now go to one of the attachment files (they are the trouble makers) and you end up with this (151 chars):

C:\Users\domin\Desktop\New folder\Medieval 2 Total War\Medieval II Total War\mods\rotk\data\unit_models\attachmentsets\final asian_mongols_norm.texture

It's a problem we came across in EBII and that's why went to the trouble of changing the default 'attachmentsets' folder to 'att' and kept the file names as short as possible.
    This doesn't appear to be steam so test this by simply creating a c:\games folder and move the root of your M2TW installation (Medieval II Total War) there and rename it M2TW.
    Should then look like this: C:\games\m2tw\mods\rotk - which brings the length to get to that texture down to 88, just over half.
    Now start rotk via the bat file (your desktop shortcut will need correction).

If that solves the problem then reversing the above, uninstalling M2TW and re-installing is advised. You might run into this problem with other mods as well if left unchanged.
    You can move the rotk folder somewhere else before uninstalling - that way you only have to fix the shortcut after re-installing and moving it back.
    Neither did this, sadly.

P. S. I've tried playing a custom siege battle on a Han "Wooden Castle", and then it crashed with the same log.
    Last edited by Dominick; January 04, 2019 at 11:00 AM.

Do other settlements work without issue?

Do other settlements work without issue?
    I've attacked a town with a palisade and a town with a brick wall in my campaign without issue.

I have the same problem and it's unplayable when I attack an enemy on 2 bridges at Xuanhan County (58,76 ; 61,74) in battle mode.

Can you elaborate Minn? Why are those bridge battles unplayable (heights, terrain, CTD) and are you also having issues with fortified passes?

It's height, and the army cant move. Yes, i have problem with fortified pass. Its the only two problem with this mod, everything else run smoothly.

p/s the unit card in campaign mode is hard to see. Could you change the background color of unit card to white and make a color border?
    Last edited by Minn; February 02, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

just out of curiosity i tried the Sishui pass battle and i have the same problem... Crash!...

Logs, please.

Has there been any new insight into this problem? I might try the solutions you've sent me via PM Seether, but I have to install the whole thing again and that's not a priority for me right now sadly.

Sadly, no. Appears to be on a user basis, which means it is the individual users system and settings causing the issue. The one thing I think would help, I can’t technically suggest on TWC. I’m not suggesting to use it or condoning its use, but a certain “not-to-be-named” patch has improved M2TW’s performance and stability with large-scale mods.