Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Age of Hellenism for DEI

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Icon1 [Submod] Age of Hellenism for DEI

"No part of Greek history should come home to us like this period.
    It is the only period that we can in the least compare with our own; indeed, in some ways it is quite startingly modern...
    The days of Salamis or of Sophokles are as remote from the men of that time as the days of Shakespeare or the Spanish Armada from ourselves.
    All the horizons have widen and opened out, civilization pulsates with new life, and en eager desire to try all things.
    Almost all the barriers are already down. Men may think as they please, speak as they please, believe as they please...
    Amid the clash of creeds old and new, solicited alike by the philosophies of the West and the more intimate worships of the East,
    each man is free to choose his own guide, whether for this life or another.

But he is, as a rule, thinking rather of this life than of any other. For there is so much to be done;
    nothing less than the conquest, material, social, intellectual, of a whole new world.
    In his desire to master the world, he shrinks from no effort, and he achieves.
    The dark places of the earth contract before him; one language now takes him from Rhone to the Indus, from the Caspian to the Cataracts.
    He measures the planet on which he lives... He despises its distances.
    A modern general might hesitate to raid Babylon from a base in Syria, as did Demetrios;
    a moder contractor might think twice about bringing five hundred fighting elephants overland from Punjab to the Mediterranean, as did Seleukos.
    And while Pyrgoteles of Cyprus is building that triakonteres which no modern shipyard would care to try and reconstruct,
    a philosopher is asking how it would affect man, could he fly.

Socially, the man of the third century creates with both hands.
    His world, like ours, is a complex of states, big and little, almost all bound together by the tie of one dominant civilization.
    Intellectually, the movement is all toward reality, to get closer to actual life as lived by men, not in this or that compartment of their existence,
    but in every way possible. Imperfect as yet, and cumbered with much rubbish, naturally; but menÂ’s faces are set in the right direction.

It takes, at times, something of an effort to realize that this world is, after all, alien and far distant;
    a world in which our industrialism was replaced by slavery, in which no sea and few coasts were ever safe from a slave-raider,
    and half mankind lived in a travesty of life; a world in which, in place of great machines, there were giants,
    men grown so great that their fellow men could only express it by worshipping them as gods;
    strangest perhaps of all, a world of which the rulers, rough soldiers whose thrones had been won by their own or their fathersÂ’ swords,
    generally held wealth or long descent in less honour than intellectual distinction."

Sir William Woodthorpe Tarn (1869-1957) on the Age of Hellenism

Age of Hellenism v. 1.3.2
    compatible with Divide et Impera v. 1.2.8

FOREWORD

Age of Hellenism is a series of modifications that aims to improve the campaign experience for the Hellenistic factions, and to some extent for the other factions as well. The mod brings more historical depth and touches on some of the aspects of campaign gameplay. There are basically three sets of modifications the mod consists of;

• Scripts – a couple of DeI scripts have been reworked thus far and my custom scripts are likely to be added in the future
    • Gameplay – modifications to the database tables aimed at tweaking some of the game mechanics
    • Aesthetics – a variety of modifications mostly to the text placement files aimed at increasing gameÂ’s historicity

At this stage the mod includes following modifications;

1. SCRIPTS
      1. DeI Autoresolve script
      2. DeI Seleucid Satrapal Rebellion script
      3. AI Recruitment script

2. GAMEPLAY
      1. Edicts and their interactions across building effects and traits

3. AESTHETICS
      1. Settlement names
      2. Province names
      3. Faction names
      4. Agents

I.a DeI Autoresolve script

The autoresolve script is one of the DeI's scripts adapted from the Ceasar in Gaul campaign by Litharion. What this script does is basically to determine the outcome of the battles fought between the AI factions. A simple concept, yet an extremely powerful tool. This script governs the course of the campaign and it is only the player's actions that can change this course.

The DeI's version of this script is very much Rome-centered, and even though a few other factions benefit from this script, as well, it is Rome who is the greatest beneficiary here.

I've analyzed and worked on this script for a while and it frankly took me some time to get to the point that I would find satisfactory. In my version, the balance has been shifted towards the Hellenistic monarchies so as to make them benefit more from the script. So how is my version different from DeI's?

• Rome still gets the upper hand against all other factions, but now their progress should be slower than before. That should be of particular interest to those who prefer slow-paced campaigns.
    • Rome will now struggle more against other 'major factions' such as, for example, Carthage and Epirus. They ought to come out on top in the end, yet this will cost them more time and resources in the process.

Observation;
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In my last few campaigns, I have observed one tendency that hasn't been much to my liking. Rome normally rolls over Epirus within the first 10-15 turns conquering first Taras and then moving right up to Apollonia without much resistance. Once they find themselves in Apollonia they tend to focus their attention solely on the east, conquering swiftly Greece, the Balkans and Thrace, while largely neglecting at the same time the western part of the map. Let alone the fact that historically the opposite was actually true, it's perhaps not the most desirable development for those who tend to play the Hellenistic factions as Rome simply comes too early into their orbit. I've noticed, however, that my version of this script seems to alleviate this problem as it becomes more difficult for them to move across the Adriatic right after conquering Taras, which gives some time for Epirus to rebuild their strength in Epirus proper. This will (hopefully) lead to Rome focusing more on the expansion north and south as that should be an easier course for them.

• Macedon has now been included in the script as 'a major faction'. They will be significantly stronger and should come to dominate their immediate surroundings, i.e. Macedonia, Greece, Thrace and the Balkans.
    • Other 'major factions' (the Ptolemies, Seleucids, Carthage, Epirus, Parthia) will also fare better against their 'minor' neighbours. It is, however, the Seleucids who get the upper hand against other Successor kingdoms and it is likely that at the end of the day it will be the Seleucids who will dominate the eastern part of the map the same way that Rome dominates the western part of it. The only faction that will fight on equal terms against the Seleucid kingdom in the east are the Parthians.
    • In the original version of the script 'minor factions' that are allied with the player get the exemption from adverse autoresolve outcomes against 'major factions'. This condition has been removed from the script so as to ensure that the player-centred alliances do not get the upper hand over their enemies.

With these changes my intention is to recreate, unless hindered by the player's actions, the historical developments of the 3rd century BC that first led to the establishment of the multipolar interstate system in the Mediterranean based on five major actors (Rome, Carthage, Macedon, Seleucids and Ptolemies), which then gradually evolved into the bipolar balance of power between Rome and Seleucids and the former's eventual victory, with the Parthians coming perhaps into the picture at the later stage, as well. That said, one must also bear in mind that this is only the probability and each campaign will always differ from another.

I.b. DeI Seleucid Satrapal Rebellion script

• The Seleucid satrapies need to build up a bit stronger before they can potentially become rebels
    • The time protection has been extended from 15 to 30 turns
    • For the player-controlled Seleucids; it will now be extremely difficult for you to avoid the rebellion as only those satrapies that you have excellent relations with, will stay put once the script triggers. It may perhaps be a sensible move to pick one or two satrapies that are most vital to retain and invest in building good relations with them.

Tip;

The Lydian faction is actually excluded from this script. It means that they cannot rebel against their Seleucids overlords, or at least not via this script.

• For the AI-controlled Seleucids; there is now only a limited number of satrapies that can potentially rebel. The rebellion will no longer be as severe as it normally is for the AI-controlled Seleucids

I.c. AI Recruitment script courtesy of Jake Armitage

AI Recruitment script limits the recruitment slots for certain AI factions while other factions receive extended recruitment allowance. The current setup is as follows;

• Rome gets limited recruitment for the first 20 turns
    • Seleukids, Makedon, Epirus and Parthia get extended recruitment for the first 30 turns
    • All Seleukid satrapies get limited recruitment for the first 50 turns

The goal is to further bridge the gap between Rome and the Hellenistic kingdoms (+Parthia) while significantly reducing the military importance of the Seleukid satrapies, which should also help with numerous stacks of the satraps sitting and consuming food in the territory of the Seleukid empire proper for those who play the campaign with that faction.

II.a. Edicts and their interactions across building effects and traits

Edicts were an interesting addition to Rome 2. I have, however, always found them quite boring and flat, so I decided to look a bit more closely into them. In historical terms, the edicts or regulations (Greek diagrammata) were one of the most important means of governance, which the king employed to communicate his policies to his subjects. I have designed my edicts so as to reflect the most common policies that the Hellenistic kings tended to pursue. What is also very characteristic of my edicts is that they never give you a flat bonus in a certain area, but rather help you to improve one area of the game at the expense of the other. They are meant to be more dynamic and the player must make conscious decisions about which edict to use and for how long. The following are the brand-new edicts for the Hellenistic factions;

ROYAL EUERGESIA

Description;

The phenomenon of euergesia was one of the main pillars, on which the Hellenistic society was built. Public benefactions of the wealthy citizens contributed largely to the redistribution of goods within a community they were bestowed upon, thus ensuring its continuity and prosperity.

Owing to the vast amount of resources at their disposal, the Hellenistic kings engaged willingly in the acts of euergetism, which provided them with the communication platform with the local Hellenistic poleis. The nature of the Hellenistic monarchy had its roots in Macedonia and Asia (Egypt, Persia and Babylonia) and was thus contrary to the concept of a self-governing, independent polis. Bestowing benefactions on such poleis allowed monarchs to overcome this obstacle. It was a relationship of reciprocity based on the rule of do ut des (I give, so that you may give). The king gives his protection, he restores peace and freedom to the community, he gives his support in cash and kind, he funds all the magnificent temples, theatres and gymnasia for the community, he grants land and privileges in a form of tax exemptions and all he expects in return is the loyalty and goodwill.

Such a system was an effective means of control. The king showed his munificence towards the city and the thankful city returned the favour with their loyalty and various acts of gratitude.

A wise ruler will thus never refuse to show his generosity. One has to remember, though, that such acts are always an expensive form of enforcing control.

Effects;

+15 Public Order
    +4 Sanitation in each region
    -15% to the Construction Costs

-25% to the Tax Level
    -4 Food

FREEDOM TO THE GREEKS

Description;

Even though the Hellenistic Age was the time of kings and confederations, the idea of a sovereign, independent polis did not die out until the Roman conquest. Large and small poleis alike strived for independence from the monarchic overlords and jealously guarded any forms of liberty and self-governance that they managed to retain. Overall, the nature of the Greek Freedom was contained in three main concepts, namely eleutheria (freedom, liberty), autonomia (autonomy, sovereignty) and aphrouretos (free of garrison). Hellenistic monarchs would keenly use the promise of freedom, sovereignty and liberation from the garrison as a propagandistic tool to gain the support of the Greek poleis. The precedent was set by Alexander the Great himself when he declared, while residing in Ephesus in 334 BC shortly after the battle of Granicus, that all the Greek cities of Ionia and Aeolis in western Asia Minor were to be set free, the oligarchic regimes were to be replaced by democracies and the tribute that the cities used to pay to the Persian king was to be abolished. Whatever the reason for this decision, it goes without saying that such declarations were met with much enthusiasm and earned Alexander much support among those cities.

Later on, a number of the Successors followed suit. Antigonos the One-Eyed is known to have been a strong advocate of eleutheria what is apparent from his declaration at Tyre in 315 BC. Ptolemy I Soter pursued the same policy first in Kilikia and then in the mainland Greece, while his son Ptolemy II Philadelphus used it as a justification for the Chremonidean War against Antigonos Gonatas who was looked upon as the oppressor of the Greek Freedom and thus unworthy of his rule.

In the aftermath of the battle at Korupedion in 281 BC, Seleukos was also in a position of showing his generosity towards the Greek cities of Asia Minor, which he eagerly did. Later Seleucids continued this process by granting eleutheria to the cities of Asia Minor. The cities of Miletos, Smyrna, Priene and Aigai were among the subjects of their benefactions, which are well-attested in the source material.

Following the policy of granting freedom to the Greeks could thus be the powerful tool of winning allies among the urban communities in the province, bringing satisfaction with your rule among your Greek subjects and allowing you to tap more easily into the local resources of manpower. It must, however, be taken into account that to follow such policy a ruler must make some concessions on his part, as well.

Effects;

Up to +20 Public Order from the presence of the Greek Culture
    +5 per region in the province to the Greek Cultural Influence
    -20% to the Heavy Infantry Recruitment Costs
    -20% to the Naval Recruitment Costs

-40% to the Tax Level

COLONIZATION

Description;

Building cities and colonizing land with the new settlers who at times would have to travel for thousands of miles to the place of their destination, required a considerable effort on the part of the royal administration and even greater investment, especially in its early stages.

Here again, it was Alexander the Great who established the precedent for such activity with his founding of approximately 20 colonies, most of which were located east of the river Tigris and bore his name, with the greatest of them being Alexandria in Egypt.

The Successors would then follow the same policy of funding their eponymous cities with the Antigonos the One-Eyed's foundation of Antigoneia in Northern Syria, the population of which would later on be transferred to the Seleucid foundations in that region, or Lysimachos' foundation of Lysimacheia in Thrace, which was to become the most important city in that region for another century.

The Ptolemies and Antigonids had their foundations, as well. The Seleucids, however, far surpassed the efforts of their peer monarchies both in the scale and importance of their colonization project. Up to now, some 122 Seleucid settlements have been discovered, 87 west of the Euphrates, in Asia Minor and Syria, and further 35 between the Euphrates and Sogdiana. According to Appian, Seleukos I Nikator was reputed to found 16 Antiochs, 5 Laodiceas, 9 Seleucias, 3 Apameas and one Stratonicea in addition to more than 20 cities named after the Greek poleis. His successors continued this activity with further foundations.

Pursuing the colonization policy will no doubt prove very beneficent for the development of your provinces. One has to bear in mind, though, that some initial investment will be needed and that such projects are not always welcome by the displaced, and sometimes disowned, local population that may show resistance to your undertakings.

Effects;

+15 Growth
    +25% Income from Agriculture

-10 Public Order
    +25% to the current Maintenance Level

WAR MOBILIZATION

Description;

Waging war was an expensive undertaking, which consumed the bulk of available resources. In the time of great need, some extraordinary measures had to be taken so that the ruler could cover the enormous costs of his military endeavours. This edict is to reflect such a policy. The local population, pushed to its limits, will be able to provide the necessary resources, though such policy will surely have its side-effects, too, and it is not something that can be employed over a long period of time.

Effects;

+25% to the Tax Level
    -10% to the Land Units Recruitment Costs
    -10% to the Naval Units Recruitment Costs
    +10% to the Unit Replenishment in the province
    +2 Recruitment Slots of the Land Units
    +2 Recruitment Slots of the Naval Units

-40 Public Order
    -3 Food
    Interrupts the Provincial Growth

LOCAL AUTONOMY

Description;

This edict is supposed to reflect the policy of ceding authority in a given province to the local dynasts who govern the province semi-independently. Such a policy is known to be pursued by the Hellenistic kings in the areas that were deemed less significant and where it would be impractical to impose more direct imperial administration.

This edict will boost the loyalty of the party ruling this province at the expense of the significant cut to your income from taxation. It will also be more difficult to spread the Hellenic culture in this province, though the cultural penalty to public order will be much reduced for as long as the edict remains active.

Effects;

+10 Loyalty from the Local Political Party
    -50% to the Public Order Penalty from the Presence of the Foreign Cultures

-25% to the Tax Level
    -5 Influence per region in the province to the Conversion to the State Culture

COMMERCIAL STIMULATION

Commercial stimulation is the only vanilla edit that I find interesting and worth keeping. The effects of this edict have, however, been redone in line with my own concept.

Effects;

+40% to the Income from All Commerce
    +20% to the Income from Industry
    +10% to the Income from Trade Tariffs
    +20% Slave Population Increase over time

-8 Pubic Order from Slave Unrest
    -10% to the Tax Level

DeI Sell Slaves, Import Food and Sell Food Surplus (Export Food) edicts have been completely redone and rebalanced for all the factions in the game, not just Hellenic.

Sell Slaves is the edict that I have always liked in particular, though I had to nerf it a bit to make it more balanced with my edicts. Overall, the bonuses to PO have been removed and this edict is mostly the 'money edict' now.

Import and Export Food; I've never really been much convinced to how these two edicts were designed and most of the time I've failed to find them useful, especially in comparison with other edicts.

My concept here is quite simple;

Import Food will allow you to import food any time you need it. The price of food purchase plus all the administrative costs associated with shipping and distribution is reflected in the higher empire maintenance. Better developed infrastructure such as traders, food ports and farming settlements will allow you to reduce the maintenance costs.

Sell Food Surplus will allow you to convert the food surplus from the royal land in the province into money which is in this case reflected in the higher income from agriculture in the province. The edict is designed in a way that the larger the urban settlements grow in the province the bigger the market, the more food you can sell and thus generate more profit. The 'resource regions' are deliberately excluded here to give more importance to non-resource regions. Building the trade ports will in addition slightly boost your profit from selling food as well.

III.a. Settlement Names

The current geopolitical representation of the Hellenistic world, which we have on our map, leaves much to be desired. I have, therefore, updated the settlement names from Thrace and Macedonia in the west all the way to Baktria and Arachosia in the east so as to be able to give a more accurate portrait of that epoch.

• The focus has, of course, been put on the Hellenistic sites and their attested ancient Greek names in the Latin transliteration.
    • Furthermore, the naming convention typical of the Seleucid kingdom has been chosen for that part of the map it is relevant to. As many of you undoubtedly know, that was a very specific system where the majority of site names derived from the names of the Seleucid family, i.e. Antiochos, Seleukos, Demetrios, Apame, Laodike, etc. To distinguish these sites from one another I've used their appropriate toponyms along with the dynastic name. However, due to limitations imposed by the game's UI I had to adopt a more flexible approach so as to be able to shorten these names. Thus, instead of Seleukeia epi tou Zeugmatos I used Seleukeia-Zeugma, instead of Antiocheia am Orontes I used Antiocheia-Orontes, etc.
    • For some settlements in the eastern edge of the map where no Seleucid name has been attested, I've used their Alexandrian equivalents, i.e. Alexandreia-Oxiana, Alexandreia-Arachosia, etc.
    • Some of the settlements were either much later foundations, did not rise to prominence until later in the antiquity, or have already lost their prominence in their respective regions. Those have been replaced with the contemporarily more significant sites such as, for example, Naissos replaced by Stoboi, Palmyra replaced by Demetrias (Damascus), Hatra replaced by Antiocheia-Mygdonia, Tyros replaced by Laodikeia-Phoinike (Beirut), etc.
    • Due to an inability of changing the location of settlements on the map, the geographical position of some of the settlements is sadly not accurate. One has to bear that in mind and try not to read too much into the exact geographical positioning. For instance, Seleukeia-Zeugma is situated further east and south than it should be. That settlement was actually located on the river Tigris (Zeugma = bridge, crossing) to the north-west.

The list of changes;

Palmyra - Demetrias
    Antiochieia - Antiocheia-Orontes
    Thapsacus - Apameia-Chersonesos
    Edessa - Seleukeia-Zeugma
    Hatra - Antiocheia-Mygdonia
    Seleukeia - Seleukeia-Tigris
    Charax - Antiocheia-Charax
    Susa - Sousa
    Jerusalem - Hierosolyma
    Dura - Europos
    Tyros - Laodikeia-Phoinike
    Pessinous - Sardeis
    Trapezos - Trapezous
    Nikomedeia - Kyzikos
    Ikonion - Apameia-Kelainai
    Arsamosata - Armosota
    Tushpa - Thospia
    Khoron - Karin
    Armavir - Artaxata
    Gabala - Khabala
    Ganzac - Gazaca
    Ecbatana - Epiphaneia
    Rhaga - Europos-Rhagai
    Parsa - Persepolis
    Gor - Antiocheia-Persidos
    Harmozia - Harmozeia
    Pura - Poura
    Bam - Karmana
    Naissos - Stoboi
    Oraea - Bagisara
    Phrada - Prophthasia
    Atrakoana - Alexandreia-Areia
    Marv - Antiocheia-Margiane
    Susia - Sousia
    Sadrakarta - Zadrakarta
    Nisa - Nisaia
    Kapisene - Alexandreia-Arachosia
    Eukratideia - Alexandreia-Oxiana
    Antheia - Apollonia Pontica
    Pulpudeva - Philippopolis
    Tarsos - Antiocheia-Kydnos

III.b. Province Names

In line with my work on the settlements names I have completely redone the province names from the Adriatic all the way east to Bactria.

• all the provinces have been given names of the historical regions they overlap with
    • each province bears an authentic Hellenic name written in Latin transliteration
    • my method was to include up to two regions for each province which means that for some of the provinces there are historical regions that had to be left out like for example the province of 'Galatia et Cappadocia' would more or less overlap with such regions as Phrygia, Kappadokia, Lykaonia, Pisidia, Lykia, Pamphylia and Isauria. In that case, however, it would naturally be impractical to include them all and thus only the first two which can arguably be deemed the most important, have been included

The list of changes;

Ityopya - Aethiopia
    Haraiva - Areia kai Margiane
    Hayasdan - Armenia
    Asia - Lydia kai Karia
    Baktria - Baktriane
    Bithynia et Pontus - Pahlagonia kai Pontos
    Bosporus - Kimmerikos Bosporos
    Carmania - Karmania kai Drangiane
    Kavkasos - Iberia
    Xvarazm - Khorasmia
    Galatia et Cappadocia - Phrygia kai Kappadokia
    Maka - Gedrosia kai Arakhosia
    Illiricum - Illyris
    Yehuda - Phoenike kai Ioudaia
    Libya - Libye
    Makedonia - Makedonia kai Epeiros
    Mada - Media
    Nabata - Nabataia
    Palmyra - Koile Syria
    Parthava - Parthia
    Parsa - Persis kai Elymais
    Scythia - Skythike
    Syria - Seleukis kai Kilikia
    Transoxania - Sogdiana

III.c. Faction Names

There is currently in DeI some inconsistency on how factions are named with some of them like Ptolemaioi, Antigonidai and Seleukidai bearing an authentic Greek dynastic name while Eperios is, for example, a name of the geographical region which formed the core of that kingdom, or Pergamon a city name of the kingdom of which the city was the capital.
    I've decided to take a more alternative, yet coherent approach and name all those kingdoms by their dynastic names. There are two main reasons for it;

1) it looks and feels better once your realm grows larger; one can hardly name 'Eperios' the kingdom that already includes e.g. southern Italy, Macedonia, all mainland Greece and Thrace
    2) it is more historically accurate as the nature of the Hellenistic kingship was much more personal, centred around the king and his house rather than the region(s) which he had the authority over

On top of the dynastic faction names, I've changed a few additional ones for the better historical accuracy.

A list of changes;

Aetolian League - Koinon ton Aitolon
    Bactria - Diodotoi
    Bactrain Usurpers - Euthydemoi
    Arche Bosphorus - Spartokidai
    Bosporan Usurpers - Pantikapaion
    Epirus - Aiakidai
    Epirote League - Koinon Epeiroton
    Katpatuka - KappadokÃ*a
    Macedonian Usurpers - Koinon Makedonon
    Pergamon - Attalidai
    Pergamene Usurpers - Pergamon
    Pontos - Mithridatidai
    Syrakousai - Hieronidai
    Syracusan Usurpers - Syrakousai

III.d. Agents

To make the agents a bit more immersive for the Hellenistic factions I've replaced the noblewomen of Greek factions and the priestesses of the Ptolemies with Greek dignitaries, and the African-styled champions of the Ptolemies with the Greek-styled heros. All the agents have also been given new names;

Dignitary - Epistates (a royal overseer)
    Spy - Kataskopos (spy, scout)
    Hero – Heros

DOWNLOAD

Age of Hellenism v. 1.3 - Full version (Scripts + Gameplay features + Aesthetics) - download link / steam

• Full version is compatible with Alternative Economy, Cultural Tensio and PIGS and it's strongly recommended that you use these mods in tandem for the best DeI campaign experience

Age of Hellenism v. 1.3 - Lite version (Scripts + Aesthetics) - download link / steam

• Lite version is compatible with all the major overhauls such as Data Venia, Testudo and Scipio's Realism - do not use the full version with either of these
    • Make sure that Age of Hellenism Lite is loaded ahead of any of these mod packs

ADDITIONAL INFO

• FOR MORE INFO CHECK POST #343 and #382
    • For the proper functioning of the Seleucid Rebellion script a new campaign is required. Otherwise the mod is compatible with your save games.
    • For the note on compatibility with the most popular mods changing gameplay features, please, check the download sections. Otherwise, feel free to ask if you are unsure if Age of Hellenism is compatible with any other mod you want to use it with.
    • Last but not least, I would like to thank the whole DeI team for their hard work, great support that they provide for the mod and a great modding community they have created and maintained, and Magnar for his brilliant video modding tutorials that are an essential learning platform for the aspiring modders.
    Last edited by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~; September 19, 2021 at 05:06 AM.

Default Re: [Submod] Age of Hellenism v. 1.0 for DeI

seleukos99
    Thank! Good and necessary work! Happy New Year!

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

This is great! Well done, sir

Quote Originally Posted by babay11 View Post
    seleukos99
    Thank! Good and necessary work! Happy New Year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    This is great! Well done, sir
    Thank you, guys!

Please, let me know what you think should you happen to try the mod.

Centenarius

A masterpiece of a DEI submod, I commend you seleukos99! I am really looking forward to trying this.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

That's gorgeous seleukos, and is also coming really handy to me.
    I have to redo edicts for testudo and now I have a perfect basis to start with, conceptually and technically.

Congrats for the auto-resolve script too. Everything which leads to a better gamplay is always welcomed.
    I'll wait for some reports and then steal it from you, if you will let me ofc

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    A masterpiece of a DEI submod, I commend you seleukos99! I am really looking forward to trying this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    That's gorgeous seleukos, and is also coming really handy to me.
    I have to redo edicts for testudo and now I have a perfect basis to start with, conceptually and technically.

Congrats for the auto-resolve script too. Everything which leads to a better gamplay is always welcomed.
    I'll wait for some reports and then steal it from you, if you will let me ofc
    Thank you very much for your kind words, guys!

Jake, no problem feel free to use those edicts if you find it desirable.

I'm actually very much looking forward to your release of the updated Testudo as I would, at last, like to give it a try, and perhaps find some inspiration in it...

Please, bear in mind, though, that these edicts will mostly fit only with the Hellenistic factions.

To be frank, I'm not completely done with them, yet, as I have to go through all the instances of edicts' interactions with the character traits, skills, etc. This will now be my priority.

Otherwise, I do not intend at this stage to create new edicts for other cultures as this will take too much time for me, not merely modding-wise, but mostly research-wise.

That said, if you are interested I'd be happy to lend you a hand with redoing the effects for the existing edicts in line with my concept. That shouldn't be much of a burden effort-wise.
    Last edited by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~; January 02, 2019 at 03:54 AM.

Crappy's Avatar Civis

I love this! It still needs some polish when it comes to buildings though. Many of the buildings give bonuses to the old edicts, and those bonuses still appear on the buildings in game. Not sure whether it would be better to roll those bonuses into the building or whether to keep them tied to edicts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappy View Post
    I love this! It still needs some polish when it comes to buildings though. Many of the buildings give bonuses to the old edicts, and those bonuses still appear on the buildings in game. Not sure whether it would be better to roll those bonuses into the building or whether to keep them tied to edicts though.
    Thanks for your feedback, Crappy, much appreciated!

Yes, as I mentioned in the post above yours, I have to go through all these interactions between edicts and character skills, traits, buildings, etc. I'll give it the highest priority over the next few days.

Awesome idea! Will try this for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    Awesome idea! Will try this for sure!
    Thanks Falco, I'm looking forward to hear your opinion!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    That said, if you are interested I'd be happy to lend you a hand with redoing the effects for the existing edicts in line with my concept. That shouldn't be much of a burden effort-wise.
    for testudo I'll do myself, but surely for PIGS (political overhaul) we can work together.
    I'll probably release something quite soon (not for edicts).

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

@seleukos

Excellent work mate. Plus Rep ofc
    I'll surely test it as soon as I start a campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Thanks Falco, I'm looking forward to hear your opinion!
    I restarted my seleukid campaign using it (using in conjunction with Scipio's realism mod), I love it so far, the edicts are great and the renamed cities really add to immersion!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    for testudo I'll do myself, but surely for PIGS (political overhaul) we can work together.
    I'll probably release something quite soon (not for edicts).
    Sure thing, Jake! As mentioned earlier, feel free to use these edicts in any form you find it desirable.

At this moment I'm mostly focused on developing this pack in that precious little time I have for modding, though some of my ideas might be actually quite applicable to your political overhaul.

That said, at this stage these are only ideas in my head and only time will tell what comes out of it. We will surely get back to it later!

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Excellent work mate. Plus Rep ofc
    I'll surely test it as soon as I start a campaign.
    Thanks, GS!

Now you have yet another reason to actually play this game at last!

I restarted my seleukid campaign using it (using in conjunction with Scipio's realism mod), I love it so far, the edicts are great and the renamed cities really add to immersion!
    This is great to hear, Falco! It seems that we are pretty much in the same boat as I've just started a new campaign with Seleucids, as well. Though, mine is played with AE + CT instead of Scipio's realism.

Please, try to take note of how the other major factions such as the Ptolemies, Macedon, Parthians, Epirus and Rome are faring in your campaign.

For me, after some 25 turns, the Ptolemies look actually a bit fragile as they struggle to prioritize between their multiple enemies and are just moving their stacks from one corner of their kingdom to another without taking any decisive actions.

Macedon, however, are looking strong as they've just beaten the Athenians to the control over Thessaly. Unless my memory deceives me, it is actually the first time I've seen them expanding beyond their native region in a dozen or so campaigns I've played with DeI.

Epirus has been driven out of Italy, but they seem to be firmly established in Apollonia and Rome has not crossed the Adriatic as yet.

EDIT: As you go on with your campaign you will surely notice the references to the old edicts in the building effects, skills and traits. Sorry for that, I'm working now on the fix.
    Last edited by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~; January 03, 2019 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    Thanks, GS!
    Now you have yet another reason to actually play this game at last!
    God wills it

God wills it
    Gods will it. We are in another epoch, you know!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    Gods will it. We are in another epoch, you know!
    I was watching Kingdom of Heaven yesterday. My bad

Im on about turn 80 (I forgot to mention using 12 TPY mod). Most of the major factions are fairly stable (with the exception of Carthage, who have lost all of Sicily, Spain, and most of Western North Africa). Something interesting that I don't think I've seen in campaign yet happened, Jerusalem rebelled against the Ptolemies and are their own faction now.

I was watching Kingdom of Heaven yesterday. My bad
    Oh, I see. That's understandable then!

Im on about turn 80 (I forgot to mention using 12 TPY mod). Most of the major factions are fairly stable (with the exception of Carthage, who have lost all of Sicily, Spain, and most of Western North Africa). Something interesting that I don't think I've seen in campaign yet happened, Jerusalem rebelled against the Ptolemies and are their own faction now.
    Yeah, I'm using 12TPY, as well. It's much better for immersion.

I've also seen in my current campaign that Carthage is not basically doing well, at least not in the Sicily. Two more questions regarding your campaign. Is Epirus still alive and has Rome crossed the Adriatic, yet?

Are you using CT, as well? I think that lately the Ptolemies got some further penalties in that province, which makes it difficult for AI to handle this situation. I have yet to see Jerusalem revolting, but I've seen the Cypriot secession once or twice already.

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast