Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Age of Hellenism for DEI

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [Submod] Age of Hellenism for DEI

Congrats once more seleukos!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    But frankly, I think you just have to play it to find out.

To get most of it you should play either Seleucids, or some other faction in that part of the map. Note that playing factions such as Pergamon, Galatia, Parthia or Baktria might be significantly more difficult with this mod as the AI Seleucids should be much more formidable than in the vanilla DeI. The same applies to Makedon and the Ptolemies.
    Well, I gave it a try as Athens with 12tpy and mod for longer conscription, depending on "heaviness" of unit. Second one was technically not my best idea - AI seems unable to handle this really well. Well, it makes diverse armies (half of which are skirmishers as they are hired after just 1 turn), but I as player do much better. Was like beating a child. Funny but unsportive. Also, while in 12tpy seasons fell much more important, time feels weird - you do like "a lot" and then look - hey, it is just 3 years since the start. Might return back to default 4 tpy, and maybe add some "turtle" modules to slow a bit buildings and research.

Other than that, I liked what I saw. Romans did have problems with steamrolling Epirus, and honestly it was more like grinding. In one iteration they did lost most of Magna Greece and even got one town in their "capital" province "liberated". Siracusae conquered whole Sicily. You definitely did a great work with all this strategic balance. Now I'd remove all 12tpy related mods and look, where it goes when all units take just 1 turn to be hired.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by nikossaiz View Post
    Congrats once more seleukos!
    Thanks Niko and good to see you around here again!

This time, though, there isn't much to congratulate me on as I've been quite lazy recently moding-wise.

For this new version I merely updated the mod to the latest DeI version and adapted one script that was sent to me by Jake a few months ago, which I thought might suite my concept.

All in all, the amount of modding I've done on this is what people like Jake or Dresden do every morning before they even sit down to have their breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyZombie View Post
    Well, I gave it a try as Athens with 12tpy and mod for longer conscription, depending on "heaviness" of unit. Second one was technically not my best idea - AI seems unable to handle this really well. Well, it makes diverse armies (half of which are skirmishers as they are hired after just 1 turn), but I as player do much better. Was like beating a child. Funny but unsportive. Also, while in 12tpy seasons fell much more important, time feels weird - you do like "a lot" and then look - hey, it is just 3 years since the start. Might return back to default 4 tpy, and maybe add some "turtle" modules to slow a bit buildings and research.

Other than that, I liked what I saw. Romans did have problems with steamrolling Epirus, and honestly it was more like grinding. In one iteration they did lost most of Magna Greece and even got one town in their "capital" province "liberated". Siracusae conquered whole Sicily. You definitely did a great work with all this strategic balance. Now I'd remove all 12tpy related mods and look, where it goes when all units take just 1 turn to be hired.
    Any of those mods chaning recruitment time for the AI is definitely not a good idea as it messes up its recruitment priorities and stack compositions and believe me there is a reason behind why all the units take only 1 turn to recruit. So you should definitely avoid using such mods.

Good to hear that Rome was having some problems with Epirus. That's what I like to see myself!

12TPY has its strong and weak points. For me the extended seasons make it for a really interesting gameplay with regard to waging war when you set off on the campaign in the appropriate season and pull back for the winter. That feels really authentic, but yeah then on the other hand it feels also like the time is running really slow and the characters age very slowely, too.

If you like to turtle in your campaigns you should definitely check Jake's mod Testudo. You can use it together with Age of Hellenism Lite.

Ok, now serious playthrough in "fair" conditions, as for AI. 4TPY, slightly longer building time and research, reforms take 1,5 times more turns to happen (always felt that vanilla DEI is "too fast" when it comes to reforming units). Epirus held in Italy for pretty long, lost in the end, but, that's logical. Still, again they managed to free someone and that OPM after fall of it's only ally immediately became protectorate of Rome, on par with Etrurians. Syracusae again throws Carphage out of Sicily and even manage to invade it's mainland. Macedon fell to one of Thrace neighbors, other diadochi seem to do pretty well (can't see, what exactly is happening there, but someone freed Judea). I'd try to check, what is happening in Crimea and Caucasus - could be earlier, but Tila declared war on me out of blue, which prevented me from succeeding in my naval recon mission to establish trade relations. Things in Asia Minor are hot too - someone is at war with someone, rebellions, civil wars, well, stuff like that.

Important question: how AI Epirus handle itself with Alternative economic submod and Age of Hellenism?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyZombie View Post
    Important question: how AI Epirus handle itself with Alternative economic submod and Age of Hellenism?
    Overall, much better than in regular DeI. In my last playthrough, they survived for about 50 turns, which was, I think, the longest I've ever seen.

But that can vary in each campaign, of course. So don't take it for granted that they will always do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    Overall, much better than in regular DeI. In my last playthrough, they survived for about 50 turns, which was, I think, the longest I've ever seen.

But that can vary in each campaign, of course. So don't take it for granted that they will always do so.
    Yup, made a fast test run just to see, how Athens are played in this economy (just strategic mode and buildup, no wars). This time Epirus has failed to capture anything and lost Taras pretty quick, but they had a full stack in Apollonia (crappy quality, but, better than nothing) and Romans weren't that eager to invade there. At the same time, Romans declared war on me in approximately 5 turns after we discovered each other.

Also, interesting effect is the variety of expensive and cheap units. Romans aren't using stacks full of principes, triarii and pedites - can't afford that. Same for others.
    Last edited by CrazyZombie; September 19, 2019 at 05:58 AM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Excellent work, surprised I managed to miss it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Excellent work, surprised I managed to miss it for so long.
    Thanks Antiokhos!

Is it update to the lastest v. Sele?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Is it update to the lastest v. Sele?
    Of course, it is! And what did you expect, Tene?

I mean even our internal newest fixpack
    Anyways good job bro!

No worries, I was just joking.

Actually, I haven't thought about that internal fixpack, but it's not much that is changed there, right? So you are surely good to go with it.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    I mean even our internal newest fixpack
    Anyways good job bro!
    I thought English wash lingua franca? Sounds like a close team, awesome.

find fault. on move 12 Epirus lost Taras, 14 Apolonia and flew out of the games, Can strengthen or even weaken Rome, it is without loss goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GyJIeBeP View Post
    find fault. on move 12 Epirus lost Taras, 14 Apolonia and flew out of the games, Can strengthen or even weaken Rome, it is without loss goes.
    It is semi-random, but still better than without the mod.

In my game as Athens and with alternative economy submod I managed not only to secure Apollonia for myself but capture Taras right in fron of Romans too. Pretty good trick to leave yourself a foothold for backstabbing Rome a bit later. And I remind you - in Alternative economy you would build a descent army as any of Greek powers for much longer than without submod - and so, Epirus somehow managed to hold all that time.

As CrazyZombie said above, that's random when Rome defeats Epirus. Sometimes it can go fast, sometimes it takes them a while.

Other mods can also have an impact on it. Were you using any other mods in that campaign?

Only hard mod.+ legend

Only hard mod.+ legend
    What's legend?

The hardcore mod might not be fully compatible with Age of Hellenism Full Version. The Lite version is fine, though.