Thread: Submod: economic policy overhaul

Default Submod: economic policy overhaul

Hello all,

For the past 2 years, I've been using (and continuously tinkering) on a little personal submod that specifically targets the effect of edicts in orde to simulate a more

Political/economic policy is done through 4 existing edicts: tax farming, commercial edict, agricultural export and Romanization(/the other cultural equivalents).
    Tax farming:

• The vanilla income edict, not much change, apart from it being less strong at the start, due to starting near 0%, but having the potential to rise above the vanilla level when selecting specific buildings/upgrades. Higher levels of buildings will also start giving public order maluses with this edict.

Commercial edict:

• This now starts at a much lower level but is increased both through provincial and regional capitals as well as a wide variety of economic buildings, political buildings (barracks as placeholder for factions without palaces). The downside of this edict is that average income is reduced, but this debuff is only applied by the provincial and regional capitals and a small number of other buildings.
    • I implemented this to simulate investment by the state, either directly or indirectly. So, the more economic buildings are created that increase the edict, the more profitable it becomes. The +slave growth effect also starts off as empty, but both the special resource building, the slave town and the slave trader will start increasing the edict effect as well as give a buff on build construction time/cost. This effect can also be mitigated by research buildings and scholar/general skills.
    • Currently, the edict is not as useful in early game, but becomes progressively more powerful from mid-game onwards.

Agricultural export:

• Not much to say about this one, I've tied it to a few more buildings/regional capitals and increased the economic buff, as well as slightly balancing out the food cost, all should make it more viable. I do play with an increased food production mod, so might need to be tweaked, although I did not alter the -food production in a large capacity.

Romanization/other cultural equivalents:

• This uses the same, albeit slightly reduced debuff that the commercial edict gets, but at the same time it decreases overall build cost in that province and I've also been trying to have some buildings offer a -construction time effect as well. This edict is obviously not as attractive for single province factions, but can be very handy for you know, romanizing a new province more quickly for example, or streamlining the construction of new town/city levels through your empire. Note, this can be exploited by the player if he/she/it choses to, but I leave that decision to your own discretion (turning off provincial income renders the debuff void, whilst still providing a construction buff).

The bread and games edict

• Both increased the buffs & costs. PO buildings that increase the PO effect of this edict, will also start decreasing food, but some food producing buildings will have a bigger food increase to compensate. Apart from a political ruler's building for Romans and Greeks.

Additional notes:

• ​At the moment a global -20 % economic debuff is in place, rather than having to modify all building incomes directly, if the economy is found to be overwhelmingly too strong compared to vanilla, this could be easily tweaked a bit by decreasing the modifier or weakening the baseline effects from edicts.
    • I wanted to add a trade goods route for trade buildings, but unlike later titles as Atilla or Warhammer, the effects don't seem to properly work when it comes to increased trade good production through edicts. I was alternatively trying to add some sort of trade income effect to the edict, but neither tying %+ trade income effects, nor increasing trade goods production through edicts seem to work for me, nor for Sempai Dresden. Hence the more 'vanilla' alternative of decreased or no/negative tax income and an increased trade income or trade goods production by default as a tradeoff (not by edicts).
    • Some buildings, such as Provincial capitals tend to bug out with the regular ui display, but effects are mostly visible on the tool tip when you right click the icon. Perhaps removing some of the other effects such as repair costs, might solve the issue

I don't/haven't had much time to make an elaborate overview, of every building as I modified most of the entire roster. I hope it's straight forward enough in-game. Basically when it comes to cities and resources, if there is an option between civil or trade, the civil one will give a higher direct income buff, the trade one will give a tax/income debuff with a higher amount of trade effects/income or trade goods produced. Military capitals are in-between, with a lower tax debuff for tax harvesting, but lower trade income than a trade capital.

As far as compatibility is concerned, this file does not directly overwrite and tables, but has to be placed above the default files and above alternative economy (I have used both in tandem though).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iz5...ew?usp=sharing

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Submod: economic policy overhaul

noice

Agriculture Food Export is almost the Only way, and it's super OP. Commercial stim wasn't really the best, and only viable to sustain when a lot, a lot of Gov and General skills developed towards it. still Taxation better.
    Overall, I liked the idea, very unbalanced. Was super quick to get snowballing and keep going in the campaign as rome. I was playing on a hardcore 24tpy modpack with extended research and build times with a hefty increase in upkeepe/recruitment costs.

Thank you for your feedback, perhaps I should reduce the + agri income buffs by about a third? In terms of commercial stim, it would be harder to finetune every building but maybe i could reduce the initial income from tax harvesting whilst buffing the commercial edict and/or nerfing the debuff at a base level? (let's say +10% for both commercial and industrial and maybe lower the base debuff by 5-10% as well?)