Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fractured Dragon - A Skyrim AAR

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fractured Dragon - A Skyrim AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    Oh, thanks.) I just read and share my humble thoughts.) I like that Gared's character isn't simple, there's something you put into it. It intrigues and forces to read further, there is a wish to understand the main character to reach its essence.
    Alwyn, Alwyn, Alwyn... I still сan't remember... Apparently this is a manifestation of a concussion, which I received in our space battle in GPOTW.
    It's a joke, of course (Alwyn hi )
    Im keep reading.
    I'm just waiting for his reaction to this

P.S. concussion from such a close fought victory? Why then in our first duel I must have blacked out!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    I'm just waiting for his reaction to this
    Oh, I can already see the sword over my head. on my tombstone will be inscribed "he talked a lot."...
    If seriously, I have a lot of respect for Alwyn. Though we didn't communicate closely, but judging by his posts and the relation to people, he is a good and kind person. I also hope he has a good sense of humor.)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Oh, I can already see the sword over my head. on my tombstone will be inscribed "he talked a lot."...

I hope to get an update either today or tomorrow, it's already in the works.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Character List

Main Characters
    Gared Macer – An Adept pledged to the Mages' Hall, currently on a quest to discover the location of the lost Wellspring. Current ranks and titles held - Adept in the Mages' Hall, former Praefect in the Imperial Legion, Rogue in the Thieves' Guild, Warrior in The Companions

Vaela Ausra – The ‘Astray’ Apprentice of the Mages’ Hall, on a quest to discover the location of her Master, Gaius Van Nerol

Supporting Characters
    Gaius Van Nerol – Formerly the most powerful mage in the Mages’ Hall, disappeared without a trace years ago. Also Vaela’s former Master.

Praefect Alwyn – Friend of Gared Macer, Praefect of the 85th Detachment

Legionnaire Hadvar – Friend of Gared Macer, Legionnaire in the 85th Detachment

Chapter XVI: Divergence
    Gared Macer

Middas | 26th of Last Seed | Haafingar

I scampered towards the sound of the shout, seemingly from just a few rooms to my left. When I barged in, sword at the ready, I was greeted by four Thalmor corpses, with Vaela hunched over a fifth.

“Vaela?”

I narrowly avoided being pinned to the wall by an ice spike, instinctively sidefooting to the right when I saw her palms glow blue. She snarled at me, the tiniest hint of recognition in her watery eyes, then returned all of her attention to the body in front of her without saying a word.

I inched forward gingerly, having some notion of who the dead person was, but still wanting to take a look. My eyes widened as I recognized some of the features of the fabled Master Gaius. The thin moustache white with age, the angled chin, and the pale blue eyes, open in the face of death. It would have been immeasurably rude to cast my ‘Detect Life’ spell right next to Vaela, so I retreated cautiously out of the room, making sure that line of sight was broken before doing the deed.

I knew before the result came back that Master Gaius was very much dead. Peeking back inside the room I saw Vaela kneeling in front of him, staring into space and very much immobile, save for a slight quivering of her lips.

Realizing that it was best to leave her alone for now, lest another shard of ice was sent my way, I decided to rummage through the remainder of the rooms in the immediate vicinity. Thankfully, with this prison being jointly held by the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion, most of the texts were written in standard Tamrielic and not Aldmeri, the language of the High Elves.

Although Vaela and I had combed through the entirety of the known areas in the prison, I couldn’t be completely sure that we were totally safe. I therefore kept one ear towards the hallway whilst scanning through the Thalmor records, alert for any signs of further Thalmor activity. The books themselves were in a pretty decent condition, doubtless the result of strict Thalmor standards. Leafing through all of them would take way too much time, so I only read through those record-keeping journals and ignored the rest.

Of particular note was the prison jailor’s Records of the Condemned, in which the details of many political prisoners were kept. The book’s thickness greatly discomforted me, and I forced myself to ignore the many names and records of those no doubt imprisoned unfairly and against their will. I stopped flipping when I came across the name Gaius Van Nerol, alias Quintus Nomed. My curiosity spurring me on, I read through the three pages under his name, and almost immediately my eyes were drawn towards the addendum: Killed himself when caught – body to be studied.

I blinked twice to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. What? I flipped the page. Surrendered to a Thalmor patrol on the 24th of Last Seed. Once again I double-checked and then triple-checked to confirm the veracity of the information.

Vaela needs to see this.

I shoved the book into my rucksack and started back towards her when I heard a series of thumps on the floor above me. I hurried to warn Vaela, and almost bumped into her as she entered the hallway, having already noticed the sound.

“Follow me.” She commanded, sword already drawn, and headed for the nearest flight of steps. “What about Master –” I called out, but she had already sprinted out of earshot. I took a quick peek into the room, and where Master Gaius once lay only a pile of charred ashes remained. Slightly disgusted, I took off after Vaela.

We searched the first floor, and it wasn’t long before we happened across the person making those noises. I half-expected it to be Alwyn and Hadvar, but instead I was greeted by a towering monstrosity garbed in armour that menacingly shimmered green. The elf – I presumed he was an Altmer – carried a gigantic two handed sword he should not have been able to even lift.

My sword was at the ready, but to my surprise Vaela had sheathed hers. With a slight tremor in her voice, she whispered urgently into my ear. “Run. Now.”

“Run?” I inquired, but received no reply, for Vaela had already departed. Not daring to take my eyes off my adversary, I cursed and backed away slowly from the elf – who was remarkably tall for an elf – and slinked out of the building. I only turned my back after I was certain that the elf was not in pursuit.

Vaela had already saddled up and beckoned for me to follow suit. She rode off in the direction which we had come from before I had even mounted up.

Aeonbarr was a fast horse with a solid track record, but it still took me a few minutes to catch up to Vaela. “What was that?” I questioned, half angry and half mystified. “Your Master? The Thalmor? Why run when we have the pendant?”

Vaela slowed her mount’s gallop ever so slightly. “Not everything can be overcome by magic. That was a Thalmor High Guard. Their armour is impervious to both swords and spells.” She paused for breath, for riding at a fast pace and speaking simultaneously was not easy to do. “I’ve met their kind only once before. They are nigh unstoppable.”

“You’re still alive.” I pointed out. “How did you kill the previous one you encountered?”

“I didn’t.” Vaela replied. “Nikolai lost his life saving me from one of them.”

“Ah.” Nikolai, her former lover. “A very noble deed.” I stated, unsure of what else to say. “And your Master?”

“I burnt his body. The Thalmor will not lay their grubby hands on him.”

Taken aback by the curtness of her statements, I resolved to say nothing further and simply accompanied Vaela in silence. Half an hour later, she finally relaxed her gallop to a trot, and a similar period of time elapsed before she decided to set up camp near some hot springs.

I tied Aeonbarr to a makeshift wooden post and watched as Vaela skulked towards one of the hot spring pools and sat at the edge. I dared not imagine the emotional turmoil she was currently experiencing, and told myself that I would show her the jailor’s book when she was more composed, though it was a difficult thing to tell with that mask covering her face, as well as her naturally stoic exterior.

It was close to evening before Vaela returned to our campsite. The stars were nearly out, and the sky was a brilliant tinge of orange, masked by the occasional grey clouds. Having mapped out our path from the Thalmor prison and hunted for a little bit in the nearby woods, I surmised that we were somewhere in the northern reaches of Falkreath.

As Vaela sat down, I offered her some venison which she tersely accepted. “Eat it while it’s fresh.” I remarked, slowly bringing out the Records of the Condemned. “I know how much pain you must be in now. I cannot ease your suffering or alleviate your agony, but I can give you the assurance that Master Gaius went out on his own terms, and most likely experienced very little pain.”

I handed the book over to Vaela, something I instantly regretted, for she dropped the fresh venison onto the floor and immediately forgot about eating. Sighing to myself, I picked it up and offered it back to her as she stared at the page I had indicated.

“Killed himself?” She muttered incredulously, waving away the venison. “Don’t bother me. I need to think.”

“But the pen – “

“Wait.” Vaela gritted her teeth.

Sighing again, I plopped myself down and nibbled away at my own haunch of meat. Master Gaius is dead. A tragic loss, to be sure. I’ll have to report this to the Hall. The exhaustion of battle finally catching up to me, I decided to hit the sack, even if only for a few hours.

The stars were out in full when Vaela shook me from my slumber. A wave of auroras danced around in the sky, a sight for sore eyes given the recent turn of events.

“Thank you.” Vaela spoke, sitting down next to me and indicating the book I had given her. “I was mad with grief, even if I didn’t show it, and probably wouldn’t have had the presence of mind to search for stuff like this. This was more important than you know.”

“Really? I didn’t get a good look at it. What did it say?”

“The Thalmor were tracking his movements for a year. Why, I don’t know. When they finally moved to capture him, he evaded them. And continued to evade them for years. Then out of the blue, he shows up and surrenders to a Thalmor patrol, for reasons unknown. Shortly after, he…dies. Suicide, if this report is to be believed. We missed him by mere days.”

I let that sink in. It was quite a lot for me to take in, and it probably would have taken me more time than Vaela had taken to adjust to this information. “I don’t suppose you’d know why?” I ventured.

Vaela shook her head. “Not a clue. I’m flummoxed. Utterly confused.” She let her hands fall to her lap with a loud smack. “Years and years of work, and this happens.” She shook her head again, and though no tears fell, the watery remains around her red eyes told me she had been crying her eyes out while I was asleep.

Even though I thought it so, it would not have been wise for me to say that she appeared to be taking it relatively well. I wondered if I could keep my composure like this if I ever discovered that finding the Wellspring’s location was a lost cause.

“Here.” Vaela removed the pendant from around her neck. “It’s yours now.”

I raised an eyebrow. “I…just like that?”

“Well, you did want it, didn’t you?” She grabbed my hand and placed it in my palm. “To be honest with you, I feel…liberated. A part of me always wished I didn’t have this artefact. That this whole thing never happened and I was just a childish little girl playing with fire. That’s impossible, of course, aside from a multitude of bitterness and regret, I feel a certain…grudging acceptance of newfound freedom now that it’s over.”

Somewhere in the woods a pack of wolves howled into the night. I admired the trinket as it caught the moonlight. It was a rather crude piece of work, but its simplicity was also its elegance. “This was my Senior’s.” Vaela informed me. “Master Gaius gave it to her as a token of his affection, and she told me to return it to him with her dying breath. I’ve been trying to do that ever since, but now it’s lost its significance.”

“But –”

“It still holds sentimental value, to be sure, but I’m confident you need it much more than I do now. Now listen closely. The power of this pendant comes from whatever is inside the jewel. My Senior told me nothing of its magical properties, so all I know is from trial and error, though I am pretty certain I’ve experimented with all its abilities by now.”

“The pendant, when worn, will somehow attune itself to you. Firstly, only you will be able to cast magic, whilst other users of the arcane will find their own abilities nullified. This nullification is not a complete one, for as you have seen for yourself, people trained adequately in the use of spells can still cast some, albeit rather basic ones. The area of the nullification also appears to be a fixed one, something like a two room radius. It’s a little hard to gauge at first, but you’ll get used to it.“

“Secondly, the pendant amplifies your own abilities, giving you an increase in the power of your spells, allowing you to cast more before feeling mentally exhausted, or instead allowing you to cast spells of a higher tier…”

“…allowing you to cast spells previously unable to be cast due to the loss of the Wellspring!” I finished excitedly. Vaela smiled and nodded. I twirled the pendant around in my palm. Incredible that such a small thing could have such a large amount of power. So amazing. So dangerous…

“So why are you giving it to me?” I gazed at Vaela. “I only wanted to know where your Master got it from, which you still haven’t told me.”

Vaela shrugged. “That I don’t know, unfortunately. As for why I’m giving it to you…I’m leaving.”

Whatever happiness I had gained from the knowledge I had just learned quickly evaporated as I sat up straight. No, no no…

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

That's a good line!

Hey, I'm trying to build a reputation as the Terrrifying Evil Overlord of the Writers' Study, and you're ruining my rep with your kind comments! (To be fair, I'm about as scary as Rex the dinosaur in Toy Story).

Swaeft, I'm continuing to enjoy this, the confrontation between Gared and Alwyn had me on the edge of my seat. It sounds like they'd both like to honour their friendship, but as Gared said, this mission is costing him everything. I'm learning to pay attention (as Gared already does) to Vaela's reactions to people and events. It also appears that Vaela saved Gared's life, I can see why he'd want her to stay around.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That's a good line!

Hey, I'm trying to build a reputation as the Terrrifying Evil Overlord of the Writers' Study, and you're ruining my rep with your kind comments! (To be fair, I'm about as scary as Rex the dinosaur in Toy Story).
    Seems like I have to rewatch Toy Story then!

Swaeft, I'm continuing to enjoy this, the confrontation between Gared and Alwyn had me on the edge of my seat. It sounds like they'd both like to honour their friendship, but as Gared said, this mission is costing him everything. I'm learning to pay attention (as Gared already does) to Vaela's reactions to people and events. It also appears that Vaela saved Gared's life, I can see why he'd want her to stay around.
    Glad to hear it! I had a feeling I was letting Gared off a little easily there, but I suppose that can always be corrected in future installments. Indeed Vaela and Gared share this special bond because of their life circumstances...but is there something more? If I can manage to pump out the chapters I promise things will get more exciting

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Two lovely chapters! There's so much going on in this story and I'm liking it a lot.

Carry on with the good work my friend!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Two lovely chapters! There's so much going on in this story and I'm liking it a lot.

Carry on with the good work my friend!
    Thanks Turk! I will try my best Welcome back by the way! Good to see ya again.

Chapter three. We're learning something new about Alwyn. I think that this character will be revealed more. And it looks like the Gared will have to use magic. When you are pinned to the wall and your choice is limited to the spell or death, then of course you choose the spell...
    Chapter four. I was right, magic was used. Someone is frosted, the others was burned. Conservative, but effective. Mages know their deal. But Alwyn saw everything.
    I was interested in one thing. If we put aside the storyline and imagine that everything happens in reality, would Gared have saved Alwyn's life? How much Alwyn, as a witness, would be dangerous to the Gared and how much he could trust him, because the fate of the goal of his life is being decided? Ok, I'll leave that to the imagination.
    Also, it's a strange word "L Z T U M F"... When I said it out loud, my neighbor's house light went out. Swaeft, tell me honestly, did you come up with this word or borrow it from some sorcerous book? Ok, I think it's just a coincidence.

@Alwyn
    To be fair, I'm about as scary as Rex the dinosaur in Toy Story.
    I'm glad your sense of humor didn't leave you, though your character got hit in the face with a sword hilt in Chapter four. It is a true nobility to suffer beatings from authors , you are a true connoisseur of art.

@Swaeft
    I'll read on. I'm interested in reading this. Thanks for taking the time to do this, keep it up!
    Last edited by Alexander78; August 02, 2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Oh, my grammar...

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Chapter three. We're learning something new about Alwyn. I think that this character will be revealed more. And it looks like the Gared will have to use magic. When you are pinned to the wall and your choice is limited to the spell or death, then of course you choose the spell...
    Chapter four. I was right, magic was used. Someone is frosted, the others was burned. Conservative, but effective. Mages know their deal. But Alwyn saw everything.
    I was interested in one thing. If we put aside the storyline and imagine that everything happens in reality, would Gared have saved Alwyn's life? How much Alwyn, as a witness, would be dangerous to the Gared and how much he could trust him, because the fate of the goal of his life is being decided? Ok, I'll leave that to the imagination.
    Also, it's a strange word "L Z T U M F"... When I said it out loud, my neighbor's house light went out. Swaeft, tell me honestly, did you come up with this word or borrow it from some sorcerous book? Ok, I think it's just a coincidence.
    @Alwyn

Lol,that's funny.) I'm glad your sense of humor didn't leave you, though Swaeft punched you in Chapter four. Maybe in later chapters he will continue to beat you, but someone from the ancients wrote "you, suffering for the sake of art, your suffering is noble."

Swaeft, I'll read on. I'm interested in reading this. Thanks for taking the time to do this, keep it up!
    Now this is an interesting read. Pretty cool to see someone summarize some of the main points. Thanks for writing all that, and I'll do my best to keep this up. I expect an update tomorrow! And in case I don't manage to upload the update...*starts murmuring* L Z T U M F...

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Character List

Main Characters
    Gared Macer – An Adept pledged to the Mages' Hall, currently on a quest to discover the location of the lost Wellspring.

Vaela Ausra – The ‘Astray’ Apprentice of the Mages’ Hall

Supporting Characters
    Gaius Van Nerol – Formerly the most powerful mage in the Mages’ Hall, disappeared without a trace years ago. Also Vaela’s former Master. Deceased.

Chapter XVII: One Step Back
    Gared Macer

Turdas | 27th of Last Seed | Falkreath

“Why?”

It was Vaela’s turn to sigh. “I spent most of my life tracking down Master Gaius. I trained with Senior Sonje, I adventured with Nikolai, Esbern and Delphine. Those things gave me purpose, they gave me the determination to carry on. Finding my Master was my ultimate objective, and now that he’s dead…I don’t know what I’ll do. There’s a hole in my heart nothing can replace – I feel like I’ve got no purpose in life now.”

She hadn’t cried this entire time, but now the tears were dripping down her beautiful face, shining brightly under the moonlight. “Those I’ve lived with and learned to love have all left or died, Gared. I don’t wish to continue being a burden to others.”

I grabbed her shoulders and stared straight at her, forcing her to make eye contact with me. “Just to be clear…you’re not thinking of giving up…on life?”

To my immense relief, Vaela snorted and gave me a look adults often gave misbehaving children. “I’m not that far gone, Gared. I just need some time alone.”

My shoulders eased, but she was clearly still very troubled. “You’re not a burden, Vaela. You’ve already helped me so much. Without this pendant, I’d have nothing to go on.” Vaela’s blue eyes flicked upwards to meet mine, and I saw that she wanted so desperately to believe what I was saying, and yet something was holding her back.

“You’re part of the Mage’s Hall, Vaela. No matter the reason you left so long ago – you are still one of us. We’re your family. We’re your brothers and sisters. Come back with me.” Now it was my turn to almost plead. “You said you don’t know what your purpose is now. We can give you one. Come back to the Hall, we’ll take care of you the way no one else could. And the Eight know you would be a great addition to the Hall, with your many skills and talents.”

I waited with baited breath for her response, and when it finally came I could swear my heart nearly jumped out of my chest.

“You speak truly, Gared. But my answer is no.”

My heart fell.

“At least, not yet. I need time to grieve. And think.”

Blast it. I gave her a wry smile. “Of course, of course, I didn’t mean to imply otherwise.”

Vaela returned the smile ever so slightly. “You’re a good man, Gared. I’m glad you’re the one I’m handing the pendant over to. You’re probably the only person who understands my struggle of a life spent finding something…or someone. I wish you the very best of luck in locating the Wellspring. I’m still amazed it’s not a myth.”

She stood up, as did I, and we shook hands firmly. “Thank you, Vaela. I do hope to see you again.”

I escorted her to Starstruck, who was happily flicking her mane towards Aeonbarr. She vaulted onto Starstruck’s back swiftly. “Something tells me you will, Gared.”

And with that, she rode off into the night. And once again, I was completely alone, with only the crushing burden of finding the Wellspring to accompany me. Feeling a sudden cold chill, I hastened back to the fire and entered a restless slumber.

I was awakened by the crowing of a raven, somewhere in the trees above. I winced as the sunlight glinted into my eyes, and staggered to my feet. Immediately I looked to my left, hoping that last night was just a bad dream and that Vaela was still around, but I was greeted only the smoldering fire in its death throes.

Packing up the small campsite, I realized it was time to report back to the Hall. With no more immediate leads to go on, it was time to take a short break and plan my next move. Not to mention I had to report this month’s events to the Masters.

When everything had been stowed away safely in Aeonbarr’s pouches or my own rucksack, I took a deep breath of the fresh, hot spring air, before giving Aeonbarr a gentle tug on the reins and guiding him out.

My journey would take me back towards Whiterun, along the well-trodden path that Vaela and I had taken on our way to the Thalmor Prison. Vaela…it felt so cruel to have someone who understood me so well to simply disappear almost as quickly as I’d found her. Actually, she found me. I chuckled to myself. I didn’t want her to suffer alone any longer than she had to, but I winced as I realized that there was another reason I wanted her to stay and return with me to the Hall. I spent the next hour on horseback just wondering what could have been.

As I passed by the town of Rorikstead and its bountiful fields, a thought unbidden entered my mind, perhaps aided by the idea of companionship, and thus I dismounted and plucked a few mountain flowers. I stored them in Aeonbarr’s saddle pouches, then took a slight detour towards the town of Riverwood.

I had no idea what to say to her given our last meeting, but as I tentatively approached my mother’s hut, I noticed that she was probably out fishing, for the rod hanging next to the door was gone. Perhaps that is for the best…

I removed a piece of parchment from my rucksack and quickly scribbled a few lines on it. You are in my thoughts every day. I still love you, and always will. Gared. Using some string, I tied the mountain flowers together into a bouquet and left them at the door. Then, without another glance, I clambered onto Aeonbarr’s back and rode off, this time towards the Mage’s Hall.

The Throat of the World, a very aptly named mountain, was famous for being the tallest place in Skyrim, and infamous for being one of the coldest. Due to the extreme weather conditions and the constant blizzards, no one had dared to venture up more than a few steps in recent years. Rumor had it the only people who could survive up there were the Greybeards, sworn servants of the mythical and legendary Dragonborns, powerful recluses who avoided society and sought knowledge and inner peace in the Way of the Voice while holed up in their indomitable fortress, High Hrothgar.

As the Throat of the World came into view, I afforded myself a cheeky grin. The last dragons were long dead, as were the last Greybeards. High Hrothgar, for the past hundreds of years, had belonged to the Mage’s Hall. With the Emperor’s consent, the remnants of my order had relocated there after the fall of the Mages Guild and the Arcane University in Cyrodiil, when Skyrim was still an Imperial Province through and through. All it took to keep curious wanderers and potential pilgrims away were the unending blizzards and rumours of adventurers being mauled on their way up by savage beasts. No one could imagine that a handful of mages were the ones responsible for these conditions.

Of course, members of my order never actually killed anyone. The blizzards were created through magic, and discouraged even the staunchest of thrill-seekers and hitchhikers from ascending the seven thousand steps. The rumours of monsters were complete falsehoods, spread only to prevent anyone from thinking of doing the climb.

Naturally, for anyone who actually dared to dream of finishing the ascent, seven thousand steps around the winding side of the mountain would take a man many days to finish climbing, assuming he had enough energy to continue non-stop. Thankfully, I had Aeonbarr. The horse doggedly ploughed through the snow and steps like a champion, and once again I was deeply grateful for his existence.

The ascent still took a few hours, even with a horse of Aeonbarr’s calibre. After giving him a few generous breaks and healthy servings of horse feed, the imposing spectre of High Hrothgar finally came into view.

Even though I had passed through those giant doors numerous times before, I still felt awestruck each time I laid my eyes on the structure, both of the exterior and the interior. I remembered when father brought me in here for my initiation. The candles flickering in the darkness, the voices of revered Masters, the solemn vows bounded by honour and integrity, the powerful impact of the chanting reverberating inside the walls…

Father had said the guild numbered in the hundreds at first, its influence spreading far and wide. But as the unrelenting continuance of time ticked by and each generation replaced the previous one, the Wellspring still eluded us. The Guild’s numbers fell, not because of desertions or lack of faith, for our members truly believed in the cause and were loyal to the end, but due to the principal fact that we could trust no one. The Wellspring was too dangerous a secret to be released to the general populace, and thus no one wanted to join and old, declining order of outlawed mages. The Hall soon became a guild of magically inclined families – and I was proud to say that the Macers were one of the more prominent ones.

But now I was the last.

I strode through the double doors and headed for the Masters' Residence. I took a deep breath to organize my thoughts as I saw the silhouettes of men wearing the blue robes of the Masters meditating on their stone stools. As I hesitated, unsure of whether to intrude, one of them beckoned me forward with a finger.

“Master Caillagh.” I bowed. “I have many things to report.”

Alwyn

Turdas | 27th of Last Seed | Haafinger

The journey to Solitude was fraught with uncertainty and disbelief. I myself was wracked with self-doubt. To see Gared, a man I had long called friend, stand above the bodies of Imperial Legion soldiers and bid me stand down…that was not something I would soon forget.

The remaining soldiers under my command were on our way back to Castle Dour to give General Tullius a full report – the contents of which I had not yet decided.

There had been talk amongst the soldiers, of course, on what we should be doing. I hadn’t known about the extent of their discontent until Hadvar had approached me and nearly demanded I report the truth. “You yourself told Gared you’d abide by his wishes.”

“To get out of there ALIVE!”

“He saved your lives!”

“And killed the rest of the detachment. I don’t know him anymore. Do you?”

The tension in the air was thick. I knew my men would judge me based on my actions, and every step towards Castle Dour – for we had no horses – brought me closer and closer to betrayal. I would either lie to the General or backstab my friend. Who had saved my life twice now.

As the walls of Solitude loomed menacingly in the distance, I knew either choice I made was bound to have serious and horrible repercussions.

“The General will see you now, Praefect.”

My hands were trembling as the adjutant opened the door. I was greeted by the General himself, along with his personal Legate…and much to my joy, Legate Rikke as well! She greeted me with a warm smile and a friendly nod, but the General was far less welcoming.

“I hear you’ve deserted your post, Praefect Alwyn. Care to explain why?”

“I’m sure the Praefect has a very good explanation.” Legate Rikke piped up. “He’s a good man.”

“I sure hope he does.” The General growled. “Desertion is punishable by death, and I'd hate to lose a good man.”

I made my choice just seconds ago. It wasn’t easy, but I had no doubt in my mind now that it was the right one. As the adjutant shut the door behind me, I knelt and bowed my head.

“General. To my shame, I had to flee the prison with my men. But I also bring you important news about Praefect Macer.”
    Last edited by Swaeft; August 03, 2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: fixed some grammar

Well, life is a struggle. Sometimes you have to sacrifice pawns to get to the Queen. Gared has to learn this science, although it leads to internal conflict. The funeral of the father does not add optimism to the young mage. Yeah, it's pretty clear to me that Gared and his dad had a complicated relationship. May be in the next chapters I'll find the answer to why. Although some hints have already been received. Oh Swaeft, it seems you like to test the spirit strength of your main character all the time. But on the other hand, wouldn't it be interesting if Gared was as a rag?...
    But suddenly there was a light at the end of the tunnel - the ruins that the merchant Ri'saad mentioned are called Mzulft...
    Chapters 5 and 6 have been read.
    Last edited by Alexander78; August 03, 2019 at 02:32 PM.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well, life is a struggle. Sometimes you have to sacrifice pawns to get to the Queen. Gared has to learn this science, although it leads to internal conflict. The funeral of the father does not add optimism to the young mage. Yeah, it's pretty clear to me that Gared and his dad had a complicated relationship. May be in the next chapters I'll find the answer to why. Although some hints have already been received. Oh Swaeft, it seems you like to test the spirit strength of your main character all the time. But on the other hand, wouldn't it be interesting if Gared was as a rag?...
    But suddenly there was a light at the end of the tunnel - the ruins that the merchant Ri'saad mentioned are called Mzulft...
    Chapters 5 and 6 have been read.
    These little summaries are a very entertaining read, I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    These little summaries are a very entertaining read, I love them!
    Thank you, it's nice to hear that from the author.

I wonder what would give Vaela a sense of purpose after everything (and everyone) she has lost. I hope that Gared will see her again, it sounds like he feels more alone now. You've got me interested in the idea of a High Hrothgar in which the Greybeards are just a memory from the past. The painful dilemma for Alwyn came across well, I look forward to seeing what he'll tell the General.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I wonder what would give Vaela a sense of purpose after everything (and everyone) she has lost. I hope that Gared will see her again, it sounds like he feels more alone now. You've got me interested in the idea of a High Hrothgar in which the Greybeards are just a memory from the past. The painful dilemma for Alwyn came across well, I look forward to seeing what he'll tell the General.
    You absorb everything well as always, Praefect! Err, I mean Alwyn. Indeed I have re-purposed High Hrothgar for this story since Dragons aren't in it, and I'm not the Dragonborn so the Greybeards did give me a nice little locale to settle the Mages Hall into. I also hope to get the next chapter out in a few hours' time, and that will be the last chapter using screenshots I've already taken. I have Skyrim working again though, and hopefully it works better this time than the last two...

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Character List

Main Characters
    Gared Macer – An Adept pledged to the Mages Hall, currently on a quest to discover the location of the lost Wellspring.

Vaela Ausra – The ‘Astray’ Apprentice of the Mages Hall

Supporting Characters
    Gaius Van Nerol – Formerly the most powerful mage in the Mages Hall, disappeared without a trace years ago. Also Vaela’s former Master. Deceased.

Chapter XVIII: The Throat of the World
    Gared Macer

Fredas | 28th of Last Seed | High Hrothgar, Whiterun Hold

“It was very wise of you to return and inform us of these events. Many things have happened, and I am glad to see you are safe and well.”

I inclined my head slightly, but deep down I was feeling anything but safe or well.

“You’ve been speaking for an hour. Now it is my turn.” Master Caillagh twiddled his thumbs, wearing an expression of great concern on his face as he sat on my left listening to my tale. “Firstly, do let me express how sorry I am for the loss of your father. He was a great man, a noble man, a valiant man, and the Hall could ask no better of him.”

Once again, I inclined my head, this time a little lower.

“How did your mother take it?”

“…not well.”

“It isn’t meant to be taken well. Though for what it’s worth, I expect she mentally prepared herself for this eventuality when she agreed to marry him.” Master Caillagh paused, then: “It is difficult for me to say this, Gared, but please understand that we would prefer if you had reported this a little more expediently. Master Macer’s death is a considerable blow, as I’m sure you’ll agree. He was among other things, a brilliant mage and very well versed in the arts of Restoration.”

As I opened my mouth to reply, Master Caillagh cut me off. “Nevertheless, I can only imagine the grief you held in your heart, and I won’t press the issue. The death of Master Gaius van Nerol, is equally distressing. It’s a pity his apprentice decided not to return here with you. I’m sure you tried everything with Apprentice Vaela?”

The Master’s last sentence was phrased as a statement, but his tone implied that he was expecting an answer. “No one regrets her departure more than I, Master Caillagh. However, as I have said, she does seem to want to return eventually. I wouldn’t worry about her, she’s a very fine and capable young woman. She can handle herself.”

“Indeed. As you yourself have expressed many times in the past hour.” For some reason, I felt my cheeks flush, and I prayed Master Caillagh did not notice. “I do hope she returns soon. The Hall does not have the manpower it once had, and we need the talents and abilities of every last member of our order. I’ll tell you what I have told your father for many years – if we could spare even one more mage to accompany you on this most important quest, we would. Unfortunately we are stretched too thin, and with the recent political instability in Cyrodiil, this only exacerbates our problem.”

“How bad is it?” I queried.

“Worse than what it was a month ago.” Master Caillagh seldom showed any emotions, but a tiny hint of fear manifested in his voice ever so briefly. “The Empire cannot suffer for much longer under the yoke of the Aldmeri Dominion and their harsh treaty. Cyrodiil is in a mess right now…which is why it is vital that we find the Wellspring as soon as possible.”

Even though it wasn’t my fault, I felt compelled to bow my head in shame. “I will continue to seek it out, wherever the trail takes me.”

“Good. But as you have reported, the trail has gone cold. We now need to find it. I’ll bring your findings to the other Masters and we will deliberate on this. And then…we have this pendant.”

Master Caillagh held it up to the light not unlike the manner in which I had examined it when I first laid my hands on it.

“An extremely curious object. We had no idea that Master Gaius even possessed such an object. We’ll hold on to this for the time being and study it, perhaps it would give us some insight into how the magic functions – and perhaps even a glimpse of where the Wellspring could possibly be.”

I felt a little uncomfortable parting with such an object, especially since Vaela had given it to me, but in the end I knew that if anyone could discover its secrets, it would be the Masters of our order.

“For now you should take a short but very much deserved break. The Wellspring is our priority, but you need to take care of yourself as well. No good hunting for it with a battered body and a vexed mind.” Master Caillagh then stood, and I hurried to match him. “You’ve done brilliantly, Gared. Welcome back to High Hrothgar.”

“Great to be back, even if it is only for a while.”

And with that, I was left to my own devices. A little unaccustomed with the sudden freedom I had, I strolled about the halls aimlessly, half-admiring the architecture and half-brooding. Finally, after grabbing a few bites from the larder, I headed to the Adept Quarters and let a fitful sleep claim me.

Sweating profusely, I rose from the stone bed so quickly I almost fell off.

I seldom dreamt, but when I did they were usually fantasies of no consequence and I’d forget about them as soon as I woke. But this time, the dream was vivid and left a lasting impression on me that I was unlikely to ever forget.

I was back in the ruins of Mzulft. Everything happened the way I remembered it – I killed anyone who got in my way and stumbled out of there exhausted, following the shimmering map on the wall towards an artefact of great power, which I suppose turned out to be the pendant Vaela was carrying. But this time, as I exited the ruins, there was a strange presence watching me.

I could see neither the face of the man nor the design of the robe he was wearing, but I did manage to hear him. And all he said in a distorted, but loud voice was: “I am proud of you. Keep it up.”

Uncertain if I was imagining things or if that was actually a dream, I shrugged it off and sought out Master Caillagh for further instructions. His answer was slightly disconcerting. “We’re not done deliberating, Gared. There is a lot of information we are processing, not just from you, but our other members as well.”

Master Caillagh saw the disappointment and confusion in my face, and clapped a hand on my shoulder. “I have no doubt you want to act as swiftly as possible, Gared. After all, this quest has sort of become your family’s ancestral goal. Nevertheless, coming up with the wrong strategy here could cost us much more dearly than sending you out straight away. Give us a few days to come to a conclusion, and then we shall speak again.”

As much as I hated to admit it, Master Caillagh was right, as usual. “But what do I do in the meantime, Master?” I queried. “Give me a task. I can’t just…idle.”

The Master looked at me with a kind twinkle in his eyes. “All too often our initiates forget the very reason they decide to pursue magic in the first place. The very reason mages are so valuable to the world. Do you recall what we sent you to do right after we made you an Adept? That’s the task I’m assigning to you now.”

“Go, and make the people remember that magic is to be loved and respected, not feared.”

I allowed myself a small smile. That first month after I was officially recognized as an Adept was spent travelling around Skyrim and helping people. As a Restoration Adept, I assisted the common folk by healing their ailments, curing their sicknesses, and imparting what wisdom I could that would improve their life, always under the watchful eye of my father…and always without revealing our identities. During the nights I would spend time in quiet reflection, often staring at the landscape for the better part of an hour, marvelling at what natural beauty Skyrim afforded its citizens.

It was extremely rewarding seeing how just a little bit of magical energy could be used to change someone’s life forever. A festering wound which causes much suffering and critically, would put a farmer out of action for weeks thus threatening his livelihood, could be healed within two nights with minimal pain. The healing process of herbs, poultices and salves could be accelerated so that people could return to their lives without further delay.

Of course, we never did linger in one place for too long. The Thalmor were always eager to enforce the terms of the White-Gold Concordat, and hunting down rogue mages seemed to give them extra satisfaction. Obviously they believed the Aldmeri Dominion to be the only people who should be allowed to use magic. I wondered for how much longer they were going to tolerate the two remaining official entities, The Synod and The College of Whisperers. These guilds were a shadow of their former selves, currently puppets of the Thalmor, allowed to exist only because the Thalmor permitted it under their supervision.

I spent time writing many letters as well. Letters to my mother, to Alwyn, to Hadvar, to my friends in The Companions and to my compatriots in the Thieves’ Guild. All of them, the guilds especially, would be wondering about my prolonged absence and perhaps whether or not I was still alive. I wasn’t eager to ditch these relations that had been hard earned, and I wove a detailed and easily believable story about certain troubles I was currently having, and that I would need more time before I could become of service again.

Sometimes, in my solitude, when I grew sick of the heat of the fires inside High Hrothgar, I sought the cold solace of winter’s breath and some modicum of comfort in my father’s own notes.

Somehow enduring the chilly winds on the Throat of the World seemed appropriate when reading his journal. Just reliving the times I had with him through his weekly entries brought tears to my eyes that were quickly eaten up by the wind. Each night I would step outside the double doors for ten minutes to read in the howling wind, impressed and inspired by his tenacity and dedication.

His thoughts seemed to mirror my own – regret at not spending more time with my mother, stubborn determination towards finding the Wellspring, exasperation that it was taking so long, and finally, the joy of seeing me grow up a capable and honourable mage.

And each night I would reaffirm to myself my pledge to find the Wellspring, for I would not want my own son – when I eventually start a family – to lead such a life.

The Masters deliberated for seven days and nights before Master Caillagh appeared before me one evening as I was slumbering in my chambers.

“It’s taken us longer than we imagined we would, but now I can say that we have determined with certainty the appropriate course of action to take, Gared. But first there’s someone I’m certain you’d be very pleased to meet.”

I didn’t dare to hope on my way to the entrance, but when I saw Vaela on the steps in front of High Hrothgar I could have wept tears of joy.

High Ambassador Elenwen
    Fredas | 28th of Last Seed | The Thalmor Embassy, Haafinger Hold

“Urgent letter for you, your Eminence.”

“Everything is urgent nowadays.” I snorted, not slowing my pace. “These weak willed Imperials run everything so inefficiently…if I was in charge, there’d be a marked improvement in…well, everything.”

“As you say, your Eminence.” My Guard Captain handed me a sealed package. “Nevertheless I urge you to read this as soon as possible. It bears both the Queen’s and the Chief Justicar’s seals, and it was delivered expressly from the Capital.”

“Our Capital?” That stopped me in my tracks. “Elden Root?” My heartbeat increasing in anticipation, I hastened towards my office.

My Guard Captain replied in the affirmative as we arrived at my solar. Eyebrows raised and my curiosity piqued, I dismissed her with thanks and opened the package, which was much heavier than met the eye.

As I set the contents of the package down on my desk and finished reading the letter, an incredulous smile crept across my face. This was a surprise, to be sure, but not an entirely unexpected one. After all this time. Perhaps I will be in charge after all…

“Captain!” I opened the door and called out. As expected, she was standing at attention, ready to attend to my every need. “How many soldiers can we muster in the next hour?”
    Last edited by Swaeft; August 12, 2019 at 04:05 AM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Thus Vaela returns. Your descripions of how things go on in the Mages' Guild sound very authentic as well as the way Gared spends his time waiting while the Masters deliberate. A strange appearance in a dream, very suspicious. The pressure on Gared seems to be increasing with now not only being hunted by the Aldmeri Dominion but possibly by the Empire as well, depending on what Alwyn tells the General. The last paragraph really frightens me. When the Thalmor are happy nothing good is about to happen.

As always, great work Swaeft!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Thus Vaela returns. Your descripions of how things go on in the Mages' Guild sound very authentic as well as the way Gared spends his time waiting while the Masters deliberate. A strange appearance in a dream, very suspicious. The pressure on Gared seems to be increasing with now not only being hunted by the Aldmeri Dominion but possibly by the Empire as well, depending on what Alwyn tells the General. The last paragraph really frightens me. When the Thalmor are happy nothing good is about to happen.

As always, great work Swaeft!
    Well I was never gonna send her away for too long I'm glad I'm creating a nice guild atmosphere. And you can count on the Aldmeri being increasingly menacing from here on out. As always, great to hear from you

Unfortunately there won't be an update this week, things are kinda crammed at the moment.

I agree with Turkafinwë! It's a nice touch that Gared followed in his father's footsteps by becoming a Restoration Adept and the line about what they said to Gared when he was made an Adept reinforces this well. I imagine that Gared will miss having the pendant (although I can see why you'd remove it, it sounded very powerful) and the meeting on the steps of High Hrothgar is a wonderful moment. This chapter underlines the importance of finding the Wellspring and the dangers which Gared will face.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast