Thread: Is there some FM-regions ratio to be considered - reg. birth rate?

Kleitos_'s Avatar Foederatus

Default Is there some FM-regions ratio to be considered - reg. birth rate?

In EB 1.2 was some (male) Family Member - Regions ratio which was determining the birth rate of male offspring. ..dont know the exact ratio but there had to be clearly more regions than male family members - to get blood line offspring. (so that some families doesnt become extinct)
    So, to get to the point: Is it the same here with EB2? ..because in my Koinon Hellenon campaign (which starts with quite a lot FM's) i hardly get any male offspring. If so - which ratio should be considered? (meanwhile i even sacrificed some of them - still, my Agiad and Eurypontid family comes in danger to become extinct )

much obliged,
    Kleitos

Default Re: Is there some FM-regions ratio to be considered - reg. birth rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Kleitos_ View Post
    In EB 1.2 was some (male) Family Member - Regions ratio which was determining the birth rate of male offspring. ..dont know the exact ratio but there had to be clearly more regions than male family members - to get blood line offspring. (so that some families doesnt become extinct)
    So, to get to the point: Is it the same here with EB2? ..because in my Koinon Hellenon campaign (which starts with quite a lot FM's) i hardly get any male offspring. If so - which ratio should be considered? (meanwhile i even sacrificed some of them - still, my Agiad and Eurypontid family comes in danger to become extinct )

much obliged,
    Kleitos
    I've run many log term tests with Pritanoi, keeping them confined to a single province (while watching activity elsewhere), and they routinely gain 20-30 FMs. So definitely not a region-ratio at least in the early game. Eventually families can become so large that it's hard to maintain a particular bloodline. The reason being that only males carry it forward, while every daughter does not. Plus all the other bloodlines are having kids too, diluting things even further. It's rather gamey, but the only way to re-set the balance is to kill off the male FMs from bloodlines you don't wish to perpetuate.
    EBII Council

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Just to add to the discussion with my experience from the EBII and other M2TW games:
    - there seems to be a kind of mechanism that prevents the game from giving you too many children. I've experienced periods up to 50 years without any. They would only appear when the number of living characters was lower than the number of provinces. This happened later in the campaign, after, say, 50 or 100 turns.
    - as a result, I usually decline offers of marriage and adoptions - as they tend to block the new births.
    - in the EB2 I consider the client rulers one of the main problems in this respect and try to minimize their numbers.
    On the other hand, I've read a few opinions that the number of regions is not the (decisive?) factor. They go against my experience though.
    JoC

yes i already let some of them die in a meaningless battle - but instead of new children i get marriage offers really often - which i declined...but until now - no male newborns. Yes the thing with the client rulers is also a question: in eb1.2 they definitely reduced birthrate - ..but is it here with eb2 really the same? After all it seems it is much more advised to recruit such client rules to pacify settlements of other cultures. ..in eb1 a garrison strong enough did the same job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleitos_ View Post
    yes i already let some of them die in a meaningless battle - but instead of new children i get marriage offers really often - which i declined...but until now - no male newborns. Yes the thing with the client rulers is also a question: in eb1.2 they definitely reduced birthrate - ..but is it here with eb2 really the same? After all it seems it is much more advised to recruit such client rules to pacify settlements of other cultures. ..in eb1 a garrison strong enough did the same job.
    Do you know that the game focus on a single daughter? If you keep rejecting the marriage offers for her, it wilk keeo being stuck on her and the others wont get any offers

yes thanks, i read this meanwhile in another thread - happens already in my campaign - so i'll get her married to see if this also maybe brings some births.