Thread: Is Autoresolve balanced?

Civis

Default Is Autoresolve balanced?

As much as I like what the EB team has done, there seems to be something “off” about the way battles flow in comparison to EBI. It bugs me out but I still want to enjoy this great mod using autoresolve.

Also, is it just me or are animations a bit wonky? I don’t have video settings at max but there seems to be something jarring about the anims. I think they are too fast.
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

Default Re: Is Autoresolve balanced?

I'd say it is, you'll lose some battles you should've had in the bag and win some you probably shouldn't have, but overall it's fine. The element of chance makes it interesting, just know that command means a bit less than it did in EB1 (and those three gold chevron steppe generals can't destroy whole armies in autoresolve anymore) and numbers are weighted a bit heavier

If you choose harder campaign difficulties (Hard and VH) the autoresolve will be unbalanced, its especially worse in VH, a small stack can defeat your army on autoresolve even if you are stronger.

As Lusitanio says, autoresolve is more skewed against the player the higher your campaign difficulty.

Comparisons to EB1 are pointless, it's a different engine and mostly a different team. It is not a goal of the mod to "be like EB1". There are many aspects in which the battle engine was better in RTW than M2TW, nothing we can do about that.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; December 29, 2018 at 02:03 PM.

Idk about autoresolve, since I play all the battles (except ship battles, duh), but I know this - Romans will not retreat even if outnumbered 2, 2.5 to 1! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Civis

Well I guess I’ll play on M/M then.
    Anything I should look out for?
    e.g. op chariots, elephants, underpowered cavalry, etc.
    ----- ---------

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Well I guess I’ll play on M/M then.
    Anything I should look out for?
    e.g. op chariots, elephants, underpowered cavalry, etc.
    Soo you like to play it easy... Be in mind that in medium difficulty the AI doesn't hire mercenaries and its far less agressive.
    Chariots don't work very well in the mod, its because the game didn't had chariots and the team had to simulate with elephants models, but they act weird. Any other thing you would like to see just check the previous threads, there's plenty to see there.

Edit: Playing with Hard campaign difficulty doesn't mess that much with autoresolve, sure it will be harder to defeat enemy armies but you will still win a lot of times, its with very hard that surprises happens often, like seing you half stack army being destroyed by some annoying rebels that you don't have the time to battle.
    Last edited by Lusitanio; December 29, 2018 at 08:40 PM.

Civis

Are Heroic Victories out of the question w/ Hard CAI? How does difficulty affect naval battles?
    ----- ---------

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Are Heroic Victories out of the question w/ Hard CAI? How does difficulty affect naval battles?
    What you mean? That Heroic victories don't happen with hard CAI? As far as I have seen, naval battles behave in a different way and are okay, even with VH

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    What you mean? That Heroic victories don't happen with hard CAI? As far as I have seen, naval battles behave in a different way and are okay, even with VH
    I noticed someone mentioned that General's Command has less effect than RTW so I'm just wondering if it's possible to have Caesar-level victories with a High Command General, autoresolve, and Hard CAI?
    ----- ---------

I enjoy almost every battle in eb2 so i rarely autoresolve!!in eb1 the autoresolve was worst,a group of phalanxes or a group of iberian skirmishers were able to win everyone in autoresolve
    There is only one Macedonia in the world and it is GREECE
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ
    SUPPORTER OF MY SERBIAN BROTHERS

AFAIK auto-calculated battles don't count towards the battle requirements for the factions reforms (like Rome or Pergamon). So you would want to check the requirements of the reforms and play those battles manually, if you play those factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug_Total View Post
    AFAIK auto-calculated battles don't count towards the battle requirements for the factions reforms (like Rome or Pergamon). So you would want to check the requirements of the reforms and play those battles manually, if you play those factions.
    Correct, anything which is based on battles being a certain size or a particular unit being present require you to play them out on the battlemap; or else the counter that it requires is never generated, then exported back to the campaign engine.