Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Swaeft's Snaps

Default Re: Swaeft's Snaps

Hey Swaeft, I troll here a lot but only comment seldom, as I generally just like checking out your pics (good stuff dude, no question about it!).

To the last set of images, I really like the GPOTW pic you ended up submitting, but I was surprised to see it's from Destiny 2. Honestly, the style of it made me immediately think of Destiny (I've played 1, but not 2), but your man in the center there has a sword. Why does he have a sword?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Oh come on, I don't think you troll at all

The short answer is...I like swords more than guns.

But another reason I chose the sword was because as I was cycling through the weapons deciding which to put on my back (or if I should even put a weapon there), I found that a sword fit the 'hero staring off into the distance' thing the best. I also chose the sword for the picture because it matched my cape. You couldn't see that in the GPOTW submission because I darkened that area of the photo to go for the silhouette look, but here's another screenie that I took that shows the matching colors. I didn't use any shaders for it so I was pleasantly surprised that it matched as well as it did.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You played D1? How was it? I heard it was horrible at launch but redeemed itself later on, only to fall flat again by making people who already owned Destiny re-buy it for some DLC or something.
    Last edited by Swaeft; May 26, 2019 at 02:45 AM.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Destiny 1 was pretty cool, as far as I can remember. I may have hit it exactly during that sweet spot in the middle though, cause I know I didn't have it right when it came out, and most of my time with it was before the mass of DLC that came out. But that was ultimately what made me drop it. They kept coming out with things that cost as much as the base game, and then everyone would buy it, and since it's a game built to play online I'd be forced to shell out the cash or quit. I opted for the latter, being unwilling to pay to play after having already paid up front. But aside from that aggressively capitalistic and unpleasant aspect of things, the game was actually quite cool. Well built, with good balance, and a loving and engaging story that I found to be pretty cool in its own right.

But back to the sword, cause I'm still confused... So, does it have an actual function in-game? And if so, what is it? I don't remember ever playing really up close and personal in Destiny. I guess there was one class that was more like an assassin (called "rogue" maybe?), but from your pic it looks more like a titan. It's been ages since I played, but I thought the titan's cool thing was an energy hammer for slams. Maybe I'm losing my marbles though.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Ahh, I see. I hadn't even heard of Destiny 1 when it came out, and only heard of Destiny 2 because it went free to claim for a time (I am always on the hunt for these sort of deals, I got Dragon Age Origins free, that was a massive deal!). Glad to hear you got in and out at the right time!

The sword...why yes of course, it's function is to make my character look cooler and more badass. Tch. But yes, it is an actual weapon, and it uses heavy ammo (ironically...who designed that). All of the classes can use that. And well, funny you speak of the titan's energy attack...I might have a screenshot somewhere of that which I may submit in a future GPOTW

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Right now I have a backlog of over 200 images from a few games, mainly: Mass Effect Andromeda, Destiny 2, Mad Max, Battlefield 1 and Anthem, with a few from Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dragon Age Origins and Watch Dogs. If anyone wants to see more of a particular game let me know and I'll adjust the GPOTW submissions accordingly, right now I"m just alternating between games. No changes possible for POTW though cos all I have now is Napoleon

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Lara is good. Dragon Age Origin could be interesting.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

I never heard of a Mad Max game, so I'd be interested in seeing a screenie or two from that one, just to get a feel for it.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

The Mad Max game was pretty good, but got a tad repetetive. It's by Monolith, the same guys behind the Shadow of Mordor/War games. So imagine it in that style-ish, but in the world of Mad Max
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Mass Effect Andromeda is my favorite. Anyway, do as you see fit, you have wonderful pics, no matter what the game.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Seems like continued variation is the way to go! Though I'll try to squeeze in some pics of Dragon Age and Andromeda then. The next GPOTW should be a Mad Max pic. @Kilo11 I've already uploaded two you can find on the first page, it's a pretty cool game but it does get repetitive after you complete the story and there's no real replayability value, but it is a blast while it lasts.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

So this week for GPOTW I had this screenshot of a planet tucked away, (sorry Alex, couldn't find anything with a ship in space for Andromeda!) and here are the alternative versions:

Original:

Submitted:

Darker Version:

Superdark Version:

I really liked the darker versions but I felt it was too unrealistic and the color balance was a little off. Tried to capture the 'Sun just passing by the edge of the planet' moment but the Sun was a little too far out for that. I really liked how the game makers added all the details like the space ring and the slivers of light in the background - in the game this isn't a big thing, this screenshot is just the planet overview with no HUD, you normally spend 4 seconds on this screen before going down to the planet, so kudos to them for that!

The darker versions are too dark for my taste, you don't see the planet rings.

The submitted is really the best.

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Looking at your screens, I must say that I expect difficult times. But I will try to give a decent fight.) Of course a beautiful screen, as always, and a decent presentation of the material. I can't return your compliment yet, but I'll be sure to do it later when I`ll reload my reputation machinegun.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Sylva View Post
    The darker versions are too dark for my taste, you don't see the planet rings.

The submitted is really the best.
    I kinda liked the superdark version cos that's how I envisaged space to be...really dark. Then the sun emerges from behind the planet and everything is awash in light. But I do believe you're right - the planet rings do add a little extra to the pic. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    Looking at your screens, I must say that I expect difficult times. But I will try to give a decent fight.) Of course a beautiful screen, as always, and a decent presentation of the material. I can't return your compliment yet, but I'll be sure to do it later when I`ll reload my reputation machinegun.
    It is always a difficult time when you're involved...I never know by how many votes I'll beat you... I am just kidding, I am eager to see your screenshot. Good travels, Captain!

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

All the edits look cool! I'd perhaps decrease the saturation on the darker ones.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    All the edits look cool! I'd perhaps decrease the saturation on the darker ones.
    Ahh, I didn't think of that. Was playing around with the contrast levels and it totally slipped my mind. Will try it out, thanks!

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Great space pics, but yes would like to see some space battles!

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Great space pics, but yes would like to see some space battles!
    Thank you kindly. The games that I have don't really have space battles (I've been playing those I submit for regularly), but I did manage to dig up one or two from Sins of a Solar Empire. Think I'll submit that for the next GPOTW

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Finally got around to editing my content page into something a little more organized. Nothing's changed really, just added the feature roll and the sorted by game sections that are still a work in progress. I've uploaded 10 pics from Destiny 2 into the Destiny 2 content box, don't want to upload too many at once but we'll see how it goes.

The Destiny 2 screenshots are great.