Thread: Tale of the Week 286: But use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross gaps between the worlds and engage in jolly cooperation - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Tale of the Week 286: But use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross gaps between the worlds and engage in jolly cooperation - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week | Tale of the Week | Writers' Study General Competitions | Graphics Workshop Monthly Competition >>

"But use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds and engage in jolly co-operation!"
    - Solaire of Astora, Dark Souls

Magic book, image source, resized

After a suspending tie-break we can announce a winner! It is my pleasure to congratulate Kilo11 for his win with his melancholic tale of a girl trying to summon her brother's spirit from the other side! He receives one Writer's Study competition point for his troubles bringing his total to a whopping 18 points! I also wish to congratulate San Felipe, who was Kilo11's adversary in the tie-break!

If you missed a chance to read the storyboard you can catch the winning entry below:

TotW 286: But use this,to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds and egage in jolly cooperation - WINNING SUBMISSION At the edge of the world there are cliffs and precipices, walls of ragged sandstone and shale peaked in everlasting green, the brittle breaking stones echoing to the sound of gulls, razorbills, and the more melancholy notes of selkie in the shallows below. It is a place of beauty, power, strength, but it is more than that. It is a door.

Brother, can you hear me? Brother?”

The distant waves below thunder and boom without meaning, their din nearly overpowering the cry of the seabirds.

“Brother, give me a sign. Some signal to mark your presence.

An albatross wheels above, its great span blotting out the sun ever so briefly, casting the prostrate figure in shade. Her eyes dart up for a moment and then just as quickly return to the bones and stones that surround her cowled form. With menacing purpose she reaches for a slender blade of marrow etched in scrawling figures.

“Blood of my blood, kindred child of a dying race, call my name that I might know that you too have not forsaken me.”

Her wrist flashes ivory in the afternoon sun, driving the bone-knife deep into the bloated stomach of an elder goat, spilling his entrails over the high blown grasses. A tribute to the Tuath Dé, that by their intervention her cries might not go unheeded, but still the coldsome downs ring with silence.

“Son of my father, child of my mother, why do not listen? Can you not hear my wretched soul weeping for your company? Can you not feel my tears falling headlong into the void?”

The crimson-stained blade falls from her listless fingers and she raises her hands, clawing at her hair, smearing the raven curls with clotting death. Blood above, blood below. A sacrifice in all forms, yet ever found inadequate. Hope draining from her trembling shoulders, she casts aside the rude attempt at mystical communion, thrusting the books and bones and oozing corpses over the long cliffs before her, and ultimately she gives herself to despair, to grief. Heavy silent sobs rise within her, carrying her heaving breast to the brink. The drops of sea-salt misery fall from her sun-spotted cheeks and oaken chin freely, and when finally they strike the earth below a shade rises before her, his hand outstretched and beckoning.

Brigid looks out and down and then back up at her limpid brother. Her lips tremble but her eyes are stone.

“So be it, Finn.”

She takes a step forward, swinging her leg out past the edge, and then she steps again. The rocks below will send her the rest of her way.

A huge thanks to all who entered a submission and voted in both the regular and tie-break poll!

TotW 286: Submission thread | Voting thread | Tie-breaker thread

Currently we have a submission period for the next Tale of the Week: NYPD going on. Go check it out here. Hope to see you in the next!

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Tale of the Week 286: But use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross gaps between the worlds and engage in jolly cooperation - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Congratz!

Default Re: Tale of the Week 286: But use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross gaps between the worlds and engage in jolly cooperation - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Thanks isa! All the tales were great, and I would have been happy to see any of them win, especially yours! Speaking of which, I haven't see you 'round these parts for a while, but given the wicked quality of your last TotW, I hope you'll be popping in more often!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Congrats!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Congratulations Kilo11 - and I agree that all of the tales were great!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your win!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman