Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v19 New Map, New Factions & Unified Rome

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v10 Colonies, Temples & Recruitment

In V10 I have no land-bridges. Is this an intended feature or a bug? I read the changelog for V8 and there is supposed to be a land-bridge between Scilly and Italy although I have not tested that specific version.

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v10 Colonies, Temples & Recruitment

Interesting work. Would love to see your idea of multiple temples applied to EBII.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivi0us View Post
    In V10 I have no land-bridges. Is this an intended feature or a bug? I read the changelog for V8 and there is supposed to be a land-bridge between Scilly and Italy although I have not tested that specific version.
    Thats strange. I’ll make sure they are all present for v11

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Thats strange. I’ll make sure they are all present for v11
    I am glad I found this. Seems like a novel feature. Was going to run an AI campaign to see the effects of land-bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivi0us View Post
    I am glad I found this. Seems like a novel feature. Was going to run an AI campaign to see the effects of land-bridges.
    The map will be completely different in v11 so stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    The map will be completely different in v11 so stay tuned!
    One aspect of vanilla Rome: Total War that always bothered me was how the roman houses would never have a civil war if you played as a non-roman faction. I tried removing the superfaction line in descr_strat.txt which didn't yield fruit. SPQR would immediately attack usually brutii or scipii. However I changed the core_attitudes to near -500 and this was able to stave off a Civil War until 240BC and that was only one campaign test. There's gotta be a better way. I like the idea of the civil war being unpredictable especially as you are way more vulnerable in the mid-game as a faction. It could be a feature for both playing as Rome and as non-roman. Unfortunately the senate will no longer function if you remove the SPQR superfaction from descr_strat. Perhaps there is a workaround for this somewhere deep in the game. Hopefully it's not hardcoded.

The last frontier. Redefining the Rome Total War civil war mechanics. it's why we all love Vanilla. Other mods do a poor job of recreating it or don't even attempt it in some cases. (you know who you are).

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v11 Map Overhaul, BI/ALX Units, Formations

ahowl11's VE Mod v11 - Map Overhaul, BI/ALX Units, Formations
    Well, looks like I am following a three month trend when it comes to releases! In May I focused on some inner mechanics to the game that would make the campaign a bit more complex and harder. This time around my focus has been on two things: Adding regions to the map to make it more historically accurate and fun, as well as getting all BI and ALX units in that fit the time frame. The map is largely untested, and you will notice some cookie-cutter garrisons and settlements. This will all be updated to be more unique in time, but I really need to have testing done to see what is working well, and what isn't. The economy has not been touched, and neither has population growth, so I expect some wacky test results coming up! The good news is the campaign should not CTD hardly at all. Multiple tests have gone deep into the game without issue. Also, battle CTD's should be taken care of since I have fixed the few sprite and DMB issues that were occurring from the last version. Finally, a few small but quite significant changes have been added. First is a revolutionary formations system, crafted by Suppanut. Him and I went through every mod and combined all unique formations that were applicable to this mod. So now players will be able to play with unique formations from Darth Vader, Sinhuet, Marcus Camillus, RedFox and more! Second is Robbe's continued work on the environments and map. In this mod you will find better looking farmland on the battlefield, new noises in the battle map, as well as better coastlines and features on the campaign map.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Roman Manipular Formation

The first order of business in this mod was the map, and it took about two months to finish as I went area by area, carefully adding in regions and garrisons. Over the 8 years of modding and reading books as well as having conversations online I have a pretty good grasp of what cities were prevalent at the time of Rome Total War. So I whipped up a list, and went from there. Mapping actually is something I have learned recently, at least the basics. It is quite fun if you know your way around the files. Anyways, the map is pretty evened out at first glance, but as I said, I really need a lot of testing and feedback to see how it really works and what adjustments need to be made.

Antigonos sits on his throne in Pella, planning on making Greece his own

A few things you will notice in the mini-map above are the fact that the Gauls and Greeks have been altered the most. Both of these factions were 'super-factions' in RTW and my intent here was to stay with that theme. The Greeks portray the Chremonidean League as well as Syracuse and Massilia in the west. The Gauls now are severely split to prevent a Gallic Kingdom from forming. They represent the Arverni, Insubres, Boii, Tylis and Galatians now. I also moved the Germans a bit east to Maetonium to represent the Bastarnae. The reasoning for some of these moves were to keep Dacia in check, which seems overpowered in early testing. The Romans still expand, but they aren't the unstoppable force we are used to seeing in vanilla. I will continue to work on balance in the next release. For now, please give me as much detailed feedback on the map as possible!

The Roman Families are poised to strike in every direction!

The second part of this release is all focusing on units. This took me about a month, and a lot of work was put in to get to the point of release today. Basically, I wanted to include every single unit from Barbarian Invasion and Alexander that made sense for the RTW timeframe. Most units were added with appropriate reskins, but a lot of the 'Steppe' units in BI I had to look elsewhere, or make to have them fit in with the other units. Many thanks goes to the Barbarians Revenge Mod, that was made by Dick and Alexander. It's a Russian mod, but it has many good looking units. Also, as you'll see, a few units from previous versions when Lanjane was helping have made it back in!

Factional Units
    From Top Left to Bottom Right:
    Hounds of Culann, Kardakes (Pontus), Britannic Light Chariots (stats based off Scotti Chariots), Hypaspists, Kardakes (Armenia)
    Parthian Cataphracts, Thracian Cavalry, Scythian Mounted Archers, Steppe Warriors, Steppe Horse Archers
    Herdsmen, Steppe Lancers, Steppe Nobles, Steppe Raiders, Steppe Spearmen

Rebel Units
    Arab Raiders, Arab Axemen, Desert Archers, Arab Hillmen, Arab Lancers/Desert Chieftain
    Desert Cavalry, Peasants, Tribal Slingers, Barbarian Spearmen, Javelin Skirmishers
    Thracian Cavalry, Barbarian Archers, Barbarian Cavalry, Barbarian Horse Archers, Barbarian Sicklemen
    Barbarian Swordsmen, Steppe Horse Archers, Steppe Lancers, Runaway Slave Spearmen, Steppe Raiders
    Steppe Spearmen, Steppe Warlord, Herdsmen

Mercenary Units
    Cretan Archers, Greek Cavalry, Agrianian Javelinmen, Paeonian Cavalry, Phrygian Infantry
    Bosporan Infantry, Thessalian Cavalry, Thracian Cavalry, Illyrian Skirmishers, Thracian Infantry
    Sarmatian Noble Cavalry, Dahae Mounted Archers, Barcanian Cavalry, Scythian Mounted Archers, Mardian Archers
    Cyrtian Javelinmen, Hyrcanian Cavalry, Median Cavalry, Median Infantry, Median Skirmishers,
    Mountain Men, Mountain Slingers, Persian Archer Spearmen, Persian Cavalry, Sarmatian Armoured Archers

More Senate offices to reflect the Roman Senate more accurately

As the map and units were being worked on a few miscellaneous changes were also made. Some by me, and some from the help of the community.
    - Since many units were added to Scythia, they have an almost completely different roster. Most of the old units have been removed
    - Robbe made a better farm look on the battlefield
    - Robbe updated his veggie mod to include sounds from M2TW
    - Robbe made parts of the map more geographically accurate
    - crazyroman added in an Eastern Officer from Barbarian Invasion
    - suppanut added in his brand new formations system which combines every formation system in existence into one large immersive one
    - After reading a small article from a blogger, I increased the amount of Senate Offices to best reflect the amount of Senators.
    - I also gave been toying around with the Senate as a whole, there is not much to change.
    - All BI/ALX units have their stats taken from Darth's BI and ALX mods, to go in line with the Darth Stats of Vanilla
    - All Roman units have more secondary HP's than other factions as it makes them more powerful on auto-resolve. The goal is to make the Romans that terrifying force that you will inevitably fight, just like in vanilla.
    - Made Pirate Ships very weak
    - Gave Officers to All Roman units and made them all very_hardy
    What I'd like from anyone downloading this and playing is to give me as detailed as reviews as possible when it comes to the AI on the campaign map and battle map.
    I need to know about how the formations are working, how much population growth is, how easy is it to make money, and how quickly does the AI expand, particularly the Romans.
    DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION:
    DOWNLOAD HERE
    - If you have an old HRTW version, you can try overwriting, but to be safe, delete it as this will not work with it. This version isn't save compatible.
    - One thing that I need to be clear on, is this mod runs on the Alexander.exe not the regular Rome Total War exe. Please make sure you use an Alexander Install.

- To Install, simply extract HRTW into your Rome Total War Directory, or if you use steam, your Rome Total War Alexander Directory. when making a shortcut, use the Alexander.exe or in steam go to Launch options and include this: -show_err -mod:HRTW -noalexander

IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS, NOTHING WILL WORK!
    Want to follow this mod more closely and be more involved? Then join the Rome Total War Community server on discord here! Discord.gg
    CREDITS:
    - Suppanut for his formations
    - AqD for Bosporan Infantry model
    - Barbarians Revenge for Scythian/Steppe models and textures
    - Lanjane for Hounds of Culann, Britannic Light Chariots and Barbarian Sicklmen Sica fix
    - Michael333 for some recolored unit cards
    - comrade_general for some reskins and recolored unit cards
    - Robbe for the farms, M2TW sounds and map changes
    - crazyroman for his BI officers
    - The New Discord community for testing and giving feedback (crazyroman, BHL_20, foxcon, PJW6, Crysix, Lanjane, Suppanut, Robbe, Saul_Tyre, Mausolos, Kazan)
    All of you - For Helping, testing and playing this mod, thank you!

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v11 Map Overhaul, BI/ALX Units, Formations

Great stuff Andy, I've run it through it's paces for a couple of hours and couldn't find any ctd or sprite issues
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Great stuff Andy, I've run it through it's paces for a couple of hours and couldn't find any ctd or sprite issues
    You don’t know how good it was to read that haha

when the game takes place, I believe their should be 4 praetors along with 2 consuls?

edit: Never mind, 2 more were added in 227 https://www.livius.org/articles/concept/praetor/
    Last edited by Reznikov; August 18, 2019 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reznikov View Post
    when the game takes place, I believe their should be 4 praetors along with 2 consuls?

edit: Never mind, 2 more were added in 227 https://www.livius.org/articles/concept/praetor/
    Thanks for looking into it, it’s too bad you can only see so many offices, otherwise I would have tried to flesh out the senate completely.

Any thoughts on how to resolve the mouse lag? I've searched the forum and tried what they said, but nothing seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Any thoughts on how to resolve the mouse lag? I've searched the forum and tried what they said, but nothing seems to work.
    I can't guarantee this will work but it has for some with different types of mouse issues.. Start > Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Devices & Printers > Mouse > Pointer Options > "uncheck" display pointer trails box if "checked", also sometimes switching to/from windowed mode overcomes various issues, add/remove -ne(with space) in the target line

Thank you, but I'm afraid none of that worked. I guess I'll just live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thank you, but I'm afraid none of that worked. I guess I'll just live with it.
    @Rick: Found this a while back on youtube, maybe you have tried it already but if not it might be worth a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dGl...&index=14&t=0s

Thanks.

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v12 Economy, Resources & Population Growth

ahowl11's VE Mod v12 - Economy, Resources & Population Growth
    Well, as you can see it didn't take me long to follow up on my last release! Things are really picking up steam now as the grand scheme to this mod is starting to come together. Starting with this version, my mod will become increasingly more diverse, immersive and fun! I have always intended to keep the vanilla looks and feel, but make the game harder, more complex and in the end more realistic and historically accurate. In the last version, you received a pretty map, but with an easy economy that was over inflated. After a few turns you could purchase a huge mercenary army and then have some left over. To me, this makes the game way too easy and eventually boring.

Like this captain in Carthage, I too wanted economic peace

So, In the footsteps of my friend Quinn_Unit from TWC, I decided to use the economy he made for Extended Realism Mod (ExRM). This economy focuses on farming for income. Here, I will let him explain it:
    Farming and Growth:
    Income from farms was historically the major source of income for most states, yet the RTW engine heavily privileges trade (especially sea trade). As a result of this, in a well-balanced mod, you won't be able to recruit and sustain a major army from inland regions. If you could, then you'd have to be able to recruit huge armies from the coastal regions.

We've fixed this by leveraging the game's "tax income" feature into a farm-based income system. Regions are given tax income multipliers based on both their base fertility and the level of farming improvements there. Many improvements also give minor income tax penalties to represent maintenance and/or pollution costs, but they always make up for it in other ways. This forces players to be careful to build infrastructure only where they actually need it.

This ensures that farming (in most regions) is a more important source of wealth than trade, but that trade remains important to your overall income stream. This system allows inland regions to support troops just as well as coastal ones, or at least nearly as well. (A new "river ports" system that increases trade bonuses in regions with great rivers also helps.)

You now generate income from farming

Now that farms are at the heart of the economy, what about the crazy population boom that comes next? All veteran RTW players know what building too many farms can do! Don't worry, Quinn explains:
    As you can imagine, this system required us to tackle growth, as well. Astute players will have noticed that growth in most RTW mods (to say nothing of the unmodded game) is heavily weighted toward the early game, since a base fertility level of 6 is equivalent to L2 farms + L2 sewers + L2 trader. We thought this made games too quick while simultaneously deprecating the importance of proper region management. So we set up a system of slow, balanced growth that relies more on buildings and less on base fertility.

This allows for the measured growth of regions, and rewards careful management by players. It should also reduce the occurrence of population-growth-induced rioting, since such growth cannot get out of control now. Your people may still have reasons to riot, but displeasure at ahistoric population growth rates will no longer be one of them.

We've also added a Herding building tree for nomadic cultures that they can choose instead of the agricultural tree. This allows them to develop their populations in a more realistic fashion.

Herds can be built by factions who historically were nomadic and lived around poor farmland

Okay, farming income - check. Population Growth - check. Trade?? - Check!

You'll see a few new trade resources in the game, such as salt and fish. We thought these were more important than some of the existing ones, and allowed us to more accurately portray the strategic significance of some cities.

Much more has changed "under the hood" with the trading system. Fewer buildings provide trade bonuses now, and many of those that do provide such bonuses only boost land trade. This allows us to keep trade income from become the main source of income for almost all factions, like it is in the unmodified game, and it also prevents the income from sea trade from completely overshadowing land trade income. Trade is still very important, of course, but it's now just one part of a balanced budget.

We also went through and carefully documented the major trade routes and centers of the time, then added them to the game with an eye to making in-game trading behaviors map as closely as possible to real-life ones. For instance, the amber resource is placed in-game such that the Amber Road will replicate itself as you play.
    Here are the rest of the changes:
    - Grain is a powerful resource, and thus has been strategically placed in the world based on historical accuracy. Every region that borders a region with grain, gets a grain import boost to the economy.
    - Not every city with a port generated lucrative trade.. Now only major historical ports will be able to have trade fleets
    - River ports have been added to generate more trade income for regions that were on the large navigable rivers and that had no access to the sea.
    - A new Vineyard building has been added to generate income based off of Viticulture and the Wine resource.
    - Last but not least, sea trade has been cut back by 60% or so. This means that you won't generate enormous amounts of denarii just because you built a few ports. It's going to take a lot more than that to get your finances to where you want them to be.
    The last feature from ExRM is not only a trade resource, but a new wrinkle into recruitment by limiting the amount of regions that can recruit heavy cavalry. Quinn explains in detail:

Heavy shock cavalry are well-known to us now, but at the time this game takes place they were still a relative novelty in the world. These men and their trained mounts were a valuable resource, warriors more grown than made. A key factor in the decline of the Seleucid Empire’s dominance was its access to the great cavalrymen of Media, Bactria, Cappadocia, and Syria, and its gradual loss of those possessions rapidly accelerated the decline in its military fortunes. However, the basic game gives us no way to replicate the strategic significance of such major sources of cavalrymen.

As a result, we’ve added a “horses” resource to the map. Wherever this resource is visible, you’ll be able to train heavy cavalry. Elsewhere, you’ll only have access to your generals’ bodyguards, to represent the relatively few nobles in these regions that could be called upon to act as heavy cavalry.

If a Horse is present, you'll get minimal trade but be able to recruit heavy cavalry

Once all of ExRMs economic features were added, I looked at the Mundus Magnus mod made by ngr. Luckily enough, he also had Fish, Salt, Horses and Ivory that tied in well with the ExRM economy.
    The other cool feature that I had never really paid attention to, was the fact that he added other models to the settlement viewer. I decided to add Generals, Captains, officers and militia to each settlement view to give it a more lively look. Little things can make a difference!
    The main thing I wanted (and many of you have been asking for, for months now) were the faction symbols. I took them all, and they really do spruce up the game! Gurrerro Sabino is responsible for the Macedonian symbol.

New Faction Symbols from Mundus Magnus

Mundus Magnus also had a few units, but after some snooping around I found that the units came from a little known mod called Ptolemaic Egypt Mod. This mod was made by Titus Andronicus and sleighr back in 2005 and had some amazing units. I added most of them, as well as a unit made by Tulius Hostilius.

Syrian Archers, Bowmen, Neo-Cretan Archers, Auxiliary Pikemen, Skirmishers, Greek Lancers, Machimoi Pikemen, Ptolemaic Cavalry, Judean Zealots, Aetolian Cavalry, Mauri Archers, Nubian Archers, Nubian Infantry

Finally, I went through each settlement and region and gave as accurate as cultural ownerships as possible. When playing as the Seleucids and Ptolemies some of your cities won't start as Greek, but instead eastern or something else. This better replicates the difficulties these Kingdoms had with the local populace.
    Oh, last but not least, Spain has finally been renamed to Iberia! Yay!

Full Features list:
    - New Economic System from ExRM - new farming buildings, port bonuses, river ports, accurate resources, herds, and vineyards.
    - Grain distributed strategically and historically to provide population boosts
    - Sea Trade Reduced by 60% and no more pirates! (For now)
    - Heavy Cavalry recruitment dictated by Horse resource
    - Ivory now tradeable
    - New faction symbols from Mundus Magnus
    - More enhanced Settlement View with more models being shown
    - New units from Ptolemaic Egypt mod and Tulius Hostilius
    - Cultures of regions and settlement updated to reflect accuracy and the difficulty of managing multiple cultures across a Kingdom.
    Also, a few CTD's were fixed!
    - Fixed CTD fighting rebels in Italy by adding a rebel version of a Centurion and Signifier
    - Fixed CTD when besieging Olbia and Tyras, it was a vegetation issue, fixed by Robbe.

To finish, I am very excited for this release. I think it's kind of like pandoras box in how it will open up this mod to be multi-dimensional going forward. Please give feedback, it is much appreciated!

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION:

DOWNLOAD HERE

- If you have an old HRTW version, you can try overwriting, but to be safe, delete it as this will not work with it. This version isn't save compatible.
    - One thing that I need to be clear on, is this mod runs on the Alexander.exe not the regular Rome Total War exe. Please make sure you use an Alexander Install.

- To Install, simply extract HRTW into your Rome Total War Directory, or if you use steam, your Rome Total War Alexander Directory. when making a shortcut, use the Alexander.exe or in steam go to Launch options and include this: -show_err -mod:HRTW -noalexander

IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS, NOTHING WILL WORK!

CREDITS:
    - Quinn_Inuit for his entire economy that he worked hard on. You truly set an amazing standard for RTW research and modding, and I am happy to call you a friend.

- ngr for his Mundus Magnus mod. It's features are now fully utilized, and the symbols are a perfect upgrade.

- Titus Andronicus and sleighr for their Ptolemaic Egypt mod.

- Robbe for fixing the CTD around Olbia and Tyras

- Tulius Hostilius for the Judean Zealots model

- Gurrerro Sabino for Macedonian Symbol

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v12 Economy, Resources & Population Growth

I think I may have discovered I bug for this mod. I'm playing as Pontus and buildings such as 'eastern recruitment phase 3' and city barracks' do not give me any additional units, basically I'm stuck with kardakes and light cavalry for the entirety of my campaign ><
    Either that, or I'm not understanding unit progression in this mod. I'm playing v12 ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesko View Post
    I think I may have discovered I bug for this mod. I'm playing as Pontus and buildings such as 'eastern recruitment phase 3' and city barracks' do not give me any additional units, basically I'm stuck with kardakes and light cavalry for the entirety of my campaign ><
    Either that, or I'm not understanding unit progression in this mod. I'm playing v12 ofcourse.
    I will have a look and see what’s going on tonight.

GROB's Avatar Civis

Hello ahow11, you made me a believer. After our PM'S discussion, other than that, your mod looks great. But I wish you would change the looks of the skins of Roman soldiers. For the most part, I think the map untirely looks far better than the vanilla map. The colors are bright and eveything stands out. Way to go ahow, keep up the good work.