Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v19 New Map, New Factions & Unified Rome

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v12 Economy, Resources & Population Growth

Quote Originally Posted by GROB View Post
    Hello ahow11, you made me a believer. After our PM'S discussion, other than that, your mod looks great. But I wish you would change the looks of the skins of Roman soldiers. For the most part, I think the map untirely looks far better than the vanilla map. The colors are bright and eveything stands out. Way to go ahow, keep up the good work.
    If you are wanting something realistic looking (texture wise) I am not going to stray from the vanilla look and feel. DBH of XGM did that by having the Romans use Ferres style Romans and it just completely ruined the cohesion. However, I can improve on the models to make them more realistic. I'm just not gonna stray from the vanilla uniform colors. I'm glad you like the map, the mod will always be improving!

Vesko, I fixed the bug, thanks for letting me know! Here is the file, it's save game compatible. Just stick it in HRTW/data and overwrite.
    Last edited by ahowl11; September 10, 2019 at 12:50 AM.

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v12 Economy, Resources & Population Growth

Thanx for the quick response! I will start a fresh Pontus campaign. I've played Macedon in the meanwhile, I got very rich very quickly, even with economics reworked I'm still overpowered even on hard difficulty. I feel that Brutii aren't aggressive enough, Greek cities are pushovers, Thracians and Dacians are a joke. The new unit recruitment system only makes it a little bit longer to get access to better troops, but I can still spam levies and militias ad infinitum and overwhelm with sheer numbers. Also, isn't Peloponnesus too small for 5 cities? It feels really crammed. I understand you added them so the Greeks have space to spread and stay competitive, and for Brutii and Macedon to have somethng to fight over with the Greeks, but the fact they're so easily beaten only made it so that I'm a virtual bottomless pocket of denarii with so many provinces. Mabe I should try on very hard ><
    Anyway, keep up the good work, I like this mod very much. I await v13!

Quote Originally Posted by Vesko View Post
    Thanx for the quick response! I will start a fresh Pontus campaign. I've played Macedon in the meanwhile, I got very rich very quickly, even with economics reworked I'm still overpowered even on hard difficulty. I feel that Brutii aren't aggressive enough, Greek cities are pushovers, Thracians and Dacians are a joke. The new unit recruitment system only makes it a little bit longer to get access to better troops, but I can still spam levies and militias ad infinitum and overwhelm with sheer numbers. Also, isn't Peloponnesus too small for 5 cities? It feels really crammed. I understand you added them so the Greeks have space to spread and stay competitive, and for Brutii and Macedon to have somethng to fight over with the Greeks, but the fact they're so easily beaten only made it so that I'm a virtual bottomless pocket of denarii with so many provinces. Mabe I should try on very hard ><
    Anyway, keep up the good work, I like this mod very much. I await v13!
    I have uploaded the correct file for you now, hopefully it works!!

As far as money is concerned, I never changed the costs and upkeeps of units.. I will look into that now. The recruitment system will probably see a dramatic change as well, I am tired of seeing militia armies. This won't happen for awhile though.
    I am keeping the Peloponnese the way it is.. it was a very important theater in this time frame.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, the game works now with the new file, thanx alot.

ialyxxiieee's Avatar Civis

failed to read censored word error , yet a again another broken rtw mod installation
    Coolermaster Cosmos 2
    MSI GD65
    i7 4770K @3.5Ghz
    8GB Corsair 1600hmz
    240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    (AMD) Asus 3GB 280X
    Corsair 860i PSU
    Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by ialyxxiieee View Post
    failed to read censored word error , yet a again another broken rtw mod installation
    I’m assuming you have a steam setup or a traditional CD setup. Regardless you need the Alexander expansion. For the steam setup make sure the HRTW folder is located in the Rome Total War - Alexander directory (not Rome Total War - Gold), but not inside the alexander folder.
    So like this: Rome Total War - Alexander/HRTW
    not like this Rome Total War - Alexander/alexander/HRTW

Now if you have a traditional CD setup somewhere else on your pc the same principles apply, you want the mod folder to be in your main directory but not inside the alexander folder.

Also make sure you have the correct shortcut properties, whether it be steam or a shortcut on your desktop the target line needs to read -mod:HRTW -show_err -noalexander

Hope this helps and hopefully you can take my mod off of your infamous ‘broken installation list’ haha

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ialyxxiieee View Post
    It's a mistake from your own side, most likely . Follow Ahowl11 guide and you will have no trouble playing the mod like many other people, including me . Also, a tip from me: be more polite, it will help .

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v13 Costs and XGM Part 1

ahowl11's VE Mod v13 - Costs and XGM Part 1
    Okay, after the last release I thought to myself "Wow, the basics and base of this mod are almost finished. This is the period where this mod evolves from a small enhancement mod to it's own unique entity." Even with that being said, I have no plans on straying from my mod name, or the overall mission.. which is to simply make the game better without getting rid of the vanilla feel. When I speak of 'vanilla feel' I speak of the looks. Unit design and uniformity, environments, campaign map aesthetics etc.. As far as the ai, the difficulty and the complexity of the game itself, I would say this is a mod that will be historically accurate and also a very hard game to play. Finally, my aim is for this mod to delve deep into immersion, not just for the campaign but for the battle and overall feel for the game.

With that all out of the way here is what v13 has to offer! One thing I didn't think was necessary for v12 but found out after release that it was, was costs. Units, buildings and mercenaries were still vanilla and even though it was a bit harder to make money, you could still rake in cash pretty easily. So, I went back and edited the costs of all units, mercenaries and made sure the buildings were also in line.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Units won't be super cheap anymore, so learn some money skills!

The model for costs is pretty simple, and this isn't something that totally wrecks the ai from what I saw in testing. However, you should see less death stacks roaming around, and instead some balanced armies. For the player, going into the red at game start won't be rare, but a smart player will be able to do just fine.
    Here is the model:
    Skirmishers, Slingers, Archers: 1000-1400
    Basic Line Infantry: 1500-2000
    Cavalry: 1400-2000
    Elite Infantry: 2000-2300
    Elite Cavalry: 2000-2500
    Siege: 2000-2500
    Elephants: 2000-2700
    Generals: 3000
    Ships: 1800-3200
    Basic Mercenaries: 1400-1600
    Professional Mercenaries: 1700-2300
    Elite Mercenaries: 2400-3000
    Okay, some may be wondering "But ahowl, why? This totally ruins the game for me!" Does it? I am sorry. Unfortunately, I don't think it is fair to the majority for the game to be super easy. I am making this mod based on what I like and what I want first, and for me, having a ton of money and just training elite units and building all buildings everywhere without having to do much management is a waste of time and frankly extremely boring. So, in the future I might make a super easy version, but for now it will be based on trying to make the game hard and realistic. I hope most of you can enjoy it like I have in testing!

Finally! The Greeks have better bodyguards instead the men with hats!

Some of you might have been around 2005-2009 when a mod called Extended Greek Mod or XGM for sort was in development. Others might have come across it later and played it. If you don't know what it is, it's a mod that focuses on giving the Greeks just as much immersion as the Romans. From there it expanded and became for a long time, the 'go-to mod' for vanilla fans. I did some digging and found old versions of the mod and then dove deep into it's history, features and everything about it. There are a lot of things that I will be adding from it. In this version, you'll come across features from it's inception until the final version of XGM3 which was released in 2007. Below is a list of features, as well as units inspired or taken directly from it.
    - New General's Bodyguards for Greek Factions: Macedonian Cavalry for Early and Companion Cavalry for Late
    - Removed Heavy Onagers, Scorpions and Repeating Ballistas from mod
    - Gave all Greek factions Ballistas
    - Gave Biremes and Triremes exp if recruited by Greek factions
    - Added 2 new Naval units: Syracusan Quinquireme and Heptere
    - Greeks can stage races and hold games
    - GCS has highest stables
    - Greek Ports now show Greek Walls
    - Moved all Naval recruitment from temples to Ports
    - Greeks have different Sub factions instead of all being 'of Sparta'
    - Recruitable Generals.. for civilized accessed at Academies.. for barbarian, accessed at Taverns
    - Royal Barracks for Carthage, Egypt, and GCS
    - Caravans limited to Eastern Regions
    - Caravans can be built by all civilized factions
    - Silk road requires silk, and can be built by all civilized factions
    - Civilized factions can build Highways once Silk road is built
    - Blacksmith buildings require Iron to be built
    - Eastern factions can build Sewers and Baths
    - Carthage can build Aqueducts
    - Some Javelin units now fight with spears (Iberian, Greek, Eastern, Numidian)
    - Restricted Recruitment of Elite Phalangite units to Greek or Hellenistic settlements only (Royal Pikemen, Silver Shield Pikemen, Basilikon Agema)
    NEW TRAITS (FROM XGM)
    Spartan: The ancient Spartan way of life required constant and rigorous military training. Those who keep up the ancient ways are much harder to kill, and armies led by Spartans have much higher morale. Limited to members of the Spartan sub-faction.

Rhetorical Skill: The Greeks invented the arts of rhetoric and logic. Those who master them gain added influence. Acquired from schools and in various other ways.

Political Skill: Increases influence and reduces unrest. Acquired by engaging in political activity.

Demagogue: Increases influence and increases unrest. Acquired by not taxing enough or allowing riots and rebellions.

Kleptocrat: Increases tax income and risk of assassination. Acquired by taxing too much.

Stoicism: Stoicism is a school of philosophy that teaches strict control of the emotions. Mastery of this school of philosophy will improve bribe resistance and law bonus, and protect against a variety of vices. Acquired from schools.

Epicureanism: Epicureanism is a school of philosophy that teaches the rational pursuit of pleasure and avoidance of pain. Mastery of this school of philosophy improves management and squalor bonuses. Acquired from schools.

Legendary Conqueror: This is a special set of traits. If a Greek general achieves great victories on three continents then he gets the Legendary Conqueror trait, and "the Great" added after his name. For "Victor in Europe" you must win a great victory against a Roman faction, or a Barbarian faction, or against the Greek Cities, Macedon, Thrace, or Spain. For "Victor in Africa" you must win a great victory against Carthage, Numidia, or the Ptolemaic Empire. For "Victor in Asia" any Eastern faction, or the Seleucid Empire will do. A win counts as a great victory if the odds are worse than 3:2 and the result is a clear victory or better.

New Units in v13 based on XGM
    What would a release be without units right?
    Here are the units added:
    Thureophoroi: Greeks, Macedon, Egypt, Seleucid, Slave
    Mercenary Thureophoroi
    Thorakitai: Greeks, Macedon, Egypt, Seleucid
    Spartan Phalangites: Greeks (only available in Sparta)
    Athenian Marines: Greeks (only available in Athens, needs dockyard and Archery Range)
    Thracian Peltasts: Thrace, Slave, Merc
    Galatian Mercenaries
    Italic Infantry (Mercenary)
    Civic Levies: Carthage (only available in Carthage)
    Slingers: Armenia, Pontus, Slave
    Funditores: Romans
    Ballistas: All Greek factions
    Also some units had a makeover: Neo-Cretan Archers, Armoured Hoplites, Greek Cavalry
    OTHER FEATURES & FIXES
    - Replaced formations files with ones from v10. Suppanuts' hasn't been fully tested and has some game breaking bugs. Will add his back in once tested and bug free.
    - Fixed Pontic Recruitment so they could train their phalangite units
    - Removed bp and area attributes from units, as it would make battles weird (men floating in air bug)
    - Moved Heavy Peltasts to tier1 recruitment for the Greek Cities
    DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION
    DOWNLOAD HERE

- If you have an old HRTW version, you can try overwriting, but to be safe, delete it as this will not work with it. This version isn't save compatible.
    - One thing that I need to be clear on, is this mod runs on the Alexander.exe not the regular Rome Total War exe. Please make sure you use an Alexander Install.

1. Download the mod
    2a. (Steam) Extract the files to your Rome Total War Alexander directory
    2b. (Disc) Extract the files to your Rome Total War Directory
    3a. (Steam) go to your library.. right click RTW Alexander.. select properties.. select launch options.. put in this: -show_err -mod:HRTW -noalexander
    3b. (Disc)Create a shortcut of your RTW Alexander exe file.. right click the shortcut.. select properties.. in the target line after everything insert this: -show_err -mod:HRTW -noalexander
    CREDITS
    - Quinn_Inuit for ExRM and the costs for buildings, units and mercenaries
    - DimeBagHo for XGM (literally he did just about everything I added)
    - Zarax for XGM ideas
    - Barbarians Revenge for the Athenian Marine, Thracian Peltast and Neo-Cretan Archer files
    - webbird for the model that made the Spartan Phalangite
    - RTR6 for the models used for Thorakitai, Italic Infantry and Galatian Mercenaries
    - comrade_general for some UI
    - Lanajane for some UI and textures
    - Everyone in the Discord Community that gives feedback and tests!

Congrats on the v13 release!
    Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and Head of Public Relations
    RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
    "Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
    Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Well done Andy, downloaded and installed, will give it a run out later today
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

I for one welcome and support unit cost re-balance, I was playing Julii the other day and by the year 260 bc I already had 150000 denarii, by then basically all challenge, and therefore fun, disappeared from the game. Only thing that was really holding mu back from facerolling the world was low population growth in my cities, which meant I couldn't spam hastati as much as I otherwise could.

I'm currently downloading the mod and I will give my feedback as soon as I can. Btw download speed is 15 kb/s it will take 8 hours to get done, why is it so slow? Can I have some more mirrors please? ><

Quote Originally Posted by Vesko View Post
    . Btw download speed is 15 kb/s it will take 8 hours to get done, why is it so slow? Can I have some more mirrors please? ><
    maybe check your internet speed, I downloaded in 6 minutes

Here is the patch so everyone can play now. For some reason non steam exe's need these files to process correctly.
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/ahowl11s-...#downloadsform

Roman early first cohorts have 9 attack while early legionairres have 15.
    It's quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbun View Post
    Roman early first cohorts have 9 attack while early legionairres have 15.
    It's quite funny.
    I will make sure this gets fixed, thanks!

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v10 Colonies, Temples & Recruitment

Sorry, but where can I find the download link for the newest version?
    Thanks!

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v10 Colonies, Temples & Recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Legatus Legionarii View Post
    Sorry, but where can I find the download link for the newest version?
    Thanks!
    Errrm it's on this page, just scroll up to find v13

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Errrm it's on this page, just scroll up to find v13
    Ah ok, thanks mate, I thought this was only the link to a patch, not the entire version...

Quote Originally Posted by Legatus Legionarii View Post
    Ah ok, thanks mate, I thought this was only the link to a patch, not the entire version...
    Keep scrolling past that to the release post. There’s a download link near the moddb banner at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Keep scrolling past that to the release post. There’s a download link near the moddb banner at the bottom
    Thanks! Got it!