Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CTD: [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_win.bik]Pause on

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default CTD: [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_win.bik]Pause on

I'm working on a mod and in almost every campaign that I testing I get a seemingly random CTD within 12-20 turns. Often I can just bypass this CTD by restarting the game and loading an autosave. However this continuous instability is really annoying and I can't seem to pinpoint the issue here. I've read multiple topics regarding this issue but I've found no clear answer.

These are the last lines of the log:
    Code:
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0046_P_Normalise> fired
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0049_P_Normalise_Non_catholic> fired
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0083b_Update_Allies> fired
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0084b_Update_Enemies> fired
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0085_Update_Religion> fired
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0093_Update_Normal_Difficulty> fired
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0096_Increase_Global_Standing_New_Turn> fired
    03:42:51.736 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0108_Update_Untrustworthy_Factions_Minor> fired
    03:42:51.822 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_BATTLE_ENGAGEMENT from transgressor faction 17757326 against faction 1777FA6E
    03:42:51.822 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Sengoku/data/globallighting/midday_fog.lighting
    03:42:51.823 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/globallighting/midday_fog.lighting,186
    03:42:51.823 [system.io] [info] open:   found data/globallighting/midday_fog.lighting (from: D:\Medieval II Total War)
    03:42:51.823 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Sengoku/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_morning_storm.texture
    03:42:51.823 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Sengoku/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_morning_storm.texture
    03:42:51.823 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0072_T_Undeclared_Attack> fired
    03:42:51.824 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_UNDECLARED_ATTACK from transgressor faction 17757326 against faction 1777FA6E
    03:42:51.898 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_win.bik]Pause on
    03:42:51.898 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_win.bik]Pause on
    03:42:54.972 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.
    Does anyone perhaps know the issue here? I know it's not descr_missions.txt or anything related to traits or ancillaries, because I've deleted them all and I still get these CTD's. What other files should I be looking into?
    Do other mods have the same problem? How have they solved this problem?

I did notice that when I play as england the log says
    Code:
    [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_win.bik]Pause on
    and when I play as poland the log says
    Code:
    [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on
    I don't know why it shifts from england_win.bik to minor_lose.bik. I don't know if it's even related to the CTD's I'm having.

Help of any kind would be appreciated.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: CTD: [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_win.bik]Pause on

The movie stuff at the end isn't directly related to the crash although it does appear occasionally. What is related to it will be the fact that a battle got started (the TC lines), but I couldn't say in which way.
    If your mod has a globallighting folder you could try disabling\renaming it.

If memory serves the original Sengoku download came with an edited exe to enable some game features - which were unstable. If you have ported this mod you may have to figure out what limits were exceeded and resolve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The movie stuff at the end isn't directly related to the crash although it does appear occasionally. What is related to it will be the fact that a battle got started (the TC lines), but I couldn't say in which way.
    TC? As in trigger commands?

If your mod has a globallighting folder you could try disabling\renaming it.
    Alas, no such luck.

If memory serves the original Sengoku download came with an edited exe to enable some game features - which were unstable. If you have ported this mod you may have to figure out what limits were exceeded and resolve that.
    The original Sengoku download? You mean Shizoku TW or is there another one I'm not aware of? I can't recall that Shizoku had an edited .exe... Anyway, my mod isn't a port of any mod, however it is expanded upon one of your bare maps mods in fact (Shogun if I remember correctly).

Blog Entries

TC - those are transgressions, eg TC_BATTLE_ENGAGEMENT, TC_UNDECLARED_ATTACK.
    I made a wrong connection from the path in your log (Sengoku), the error message (Uh oh) should have told me it was based on one of my creations

Any other [error] entries in your log that might give a clue? Upload the full crash log (compressed, please) and I 'll have a look.

I really have no clue.

Here's the compressed log of one of the crashes. I have saved multiple, but all are the same story.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Razor; December 24, 2018 at 03:48 AM.

Centenarius

Hi Razor, i have encountered this type of CTD at least once; now i don't remember what is the source but after taking a look at the log you posted there isn't any relevant error apart from this one, probably an oversight:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    mods/Sengoku/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2961, column 1
    The character record Yono is neither married, nor has a father.  This could mess up the family tree.  She needs to be defined as a relative

From what is written in this thread i could assume that the diplomacy section in descr_strat.txt could be the cause?. Maybe it's incomplete or there's a typo error?. You could try to remove the section completely and then see if the transgression CTD still occur. Also, try to add this in the mod's config.cfg:

Code:
    [game]
    event_cutscenes = 0

Anyway, the transgressions mentioned by Gigantus are descrbed in descr_faction_standing.txt
    Temporarily retired from modding.

maybe it is when an faction loose it's last settlement?then you schould inplent this fix;EDCT: WhenToTest BecomesFactionLeader causes crashes

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Hi Razor, i have encountered this type of CTD at least once; now i don't remember what is the source but after taking a look at the log you posted there isn't any relevant error apart from this one, probably an oversight:

Code:
    mods/Sengoku/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2961, column 1
    The character record Yono is neither married, nor has a father.  This could mess up the family tree.  She needs to be defined as a relative
    I'm aware of that error message and I'm pretty sure that's not causing the problem here. The character Yono is a witch that I've included in descr_strat.txt obviously belonging to the rebels/slave faction. I can run the game without issues regarding Yono and using the toggle_fow command the crashes don't seem to be related to her. I'll try if deleting her will fix the problem tomorrow, but I highly doubt it.

From what is written in this thread i could assume that the diplomacy section in descr_strat.txt could be the cause?. Maybe it's incomplete or there's a typo error?. You could try to remove the section completely and then see if the transgression CTD still occur. Also, try to add this in the mod's config.cfg:

Code:
    [game]
    event_cutscenes = 0

Anyway, the transgressions mentioned by Gigantus are descrbed in descr_faction_standing.txt
    I've come across that thread before posting this thread. Maybe I should contact Mr_Nygren and ask if he has found a way to fix it. I'll try everything you suggested tomorrow and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevietheconquer View Post
    maybe it is when an faction loose it's last settlement?then you schould inplent this fix;EDCT: WhenToTest BecomesFactionLeader causes crashes
    Thanks. I've come across that thread as well, but since I've deleted all traits and ancillaries that can't be the problem here.

Another thing you might want to check is your descr_win_conditions for non existent regions or other errors.

Blog Entries

Can't pinpoint anything either. Have you tried compatibility mode for your exe (kingdoms and\or medieval2)? Set it to win7 and then make it admin run. Helps with some random crashes. See here.

Code:

Code:
    [game]
    event_cutscenes = 0

Quote Originally Posted by tomdoof2236 View Post
    Another thing you might want to check is your descr_win_conditions for non existent regions or other errors.
    Can't pinpoint anything either. Have you tried compatibility mode for your exe (kingdoms and\or medieval2)? Set it to win7 and then make it admin run. Helps with some random crashes. See here.
    I tried all your suggestions, but none of them fixed my problem, unfortunately.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I tried all your suggestions, but none of them fixed my problem, unfortunately.
    As i recall Warcraft: Total War and the map by TheHappyCrusader inherited a transgressor CTD whenever Stromwind attacked the Burning Legion, or the Burning legion attacked Stormwind - sometimes it even happened when Khaz'Modan conquered an area from the Dark Irons.

It seemed to all be connected to the map itself - as the Legion and Stormwind could attack each other - but never in the Deadwind Pass area.

I fixed the issue in Deadwind Pass, where any battle would result in a transgressor CTD when clicking attack - or when the loading had finished.

The solution was to edit the map inside of Geomod and replace all the Hills of those areas with other terrain. It would seem you cannot fight a battle on hills, and the Hills caused the mod to CTD whenever trying to fight on them or close to them - sometimes even affecting factions taking other areas close to Hills and mountains.

So the solution might be to replace/remove any hills from areas where you can fight battles. That is what i did to solve the issues at Deadwind Pass - and the other map-issues just magically disappeared after this as well. Warcraft has a very stable campaign map.

In my Hyrule submod i did also get this transgressor CTD - after adding all the spawns by Neph including the Stalfos spawn. It is map-related for sure, and it would seem if the map has too much material spawning on it then the engine won't be able to handle it.

I did add the Wizzrobe, River Zola, Sheikah and Ikana spawns and had no problems. It is invasions by script of large forces of their armies. When adding the Stalfos it would CTD at the very event - i could fix this by reducing the number of armies spawning and placing more troops in a lesser number of spawning armies. But even though the mod could handle the spawns without crashing - it would still be very laggy when they did spawn, and it seemed to be much for the mod and the map to process. After awhile i'd get the transgressor-error and ctd when the Kokiri won against a Stalfos army.

The solution was to de-activate the Stalfos-script because it became too heavy on the engine.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 26, 2018 at 11:23 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    As i recall Warcraft: Total War and the map by TheHappyCrusader inherited a transgressor CTD whenever Stromwind attacked the Burning Legion, or the Burning legion attacked Stormwind - sometimes it even happened when Khaz'Modan conquered an area from the Dark Irons.

It seemed to all be connected to the map itself - as the Legion and Stormwind could attack each other - but never in the Deadwind Pass area.

I fixed the issue in Deadwind Pass, where any battle would result in a transgressor CTD when clicking attack - or when the loading had finished.

The solution was to edit the map inside of Geomod and replace all the Hills of those areas with other terrain. It would seem you cannot fight a battle on hills, and the Hills caused the mod to CTD whenever trying to fight on them or close to them - sometimes even affecting factions taking other areas close to Hills and mountains.

So the solution might be to replace/remove any hills from areas where you can fight battles. That is what i did to solve the issues at Deadwind Pass - and the other map-issues just magically disappeared after this as well. Warcraft has a very stable campaign map.

In my Hyrule submod i did also get this transgressor CTD - after adding all the spawns by Neph including the Stalfos spawn. It is map-related for sure, and it would seem if the map has too much material spawning on it then the engine won't be able to handle it.

I did add the Wizzrobe, River Zola, Sheikah and Ikana spawns and had no problems. It is invasions by script of large forces of their armies. When adding the Stalfos it would CTD at the very event - i could fix this by reducing the number of armies spawning and placing more troops in a lesser number of spawning armies. But even though the mod could handle the spawns without crashing - it would still be very laggy when they did spawn, and it seemed to be much for the mod and the map to process. After awhile i'd get the transgressor-error and ctd when the Kokiri won against a Stalfos army.

The solution was to de-activate the Stalfos-script because it became too heavy on the engine.
    Hmmm... That would open up a totally new dimension for me. However, I tried removing all hills on my map and I still got the same CTD. Interestingly enough I tried one of my older builds and I managed to get to turn 60-80 before getting my first CTD as opposed to consistently within the first 10 or 20 turns. All that on the same map. So I'm pretty sure the problem lies elsewhere for me.

Anyway, that got me thinking. There were a few things that I've added in my most recent version and that was new buildings and most notably: buildings that recruit naval units. I've also come to realize that I've set the amount of movement points for admirals in descr_character.txt quite high. I figured that when the AI factions all start building ports and recruit naval units together with pirate ship spawns (usually 15 on my map) and the amount of movement points they have all taken together may cause the game engine to become unstable. In my next playthrough I lowered the amount of rebel and pirate ship spawns and disabled autosave and everything went smoothly all the way towards turn 133 without any crashes so far.

On a side note, when I was working on the map at an early stage (only a few factions were added on the map, the rest of the map was owned by rebels) I was testing the map and played with the slave/rebel faction and every time I toggled the "automanage everything" on and clicked the "next turn" button the game crashed, presumably because too many of the same buildings were being built at the same time(?). I've never actually looked at the error log with log set to "trace", but at the time it wasn't a big deal as the player wasn't supposed to play as rebels anyway and the CTD disappeared totally as I added more and more factions to my campaign.

So my guess for now is that the game engine gets overloaded and crashes because of things happening on the map at the same time.

I don't know anymore... In my case the crashes seem to be related to ships. I can't seem to play with naval units being recruitable because I always end up with CTDs, no matter what. I've edited edb and only allowed 2 types of ships to be recruited. Not every faction is in fact recruiting these units, but every time I get a CTD. All entries appear to be fine, naval units can all be recruited just fine, all strat models have models and textures that show up just fine. Maybe it is map related after all (or not - I don't know), but how to fix it? How to spot the errors? Again, I have no idea whatsoever...
    Last edited by Razor; December 28, 2018 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Admirals being agents they can get traits\ancs - once they do they can't merge. Maybe some relationship? I usually disable 'newadmiralcreated' triggers (and agentcreated with admiral condition) to avoid that, later triggers (battle results) are fine.

But I've deleted all traits and ancillaries, so surely that can't be it?

Blog Entries

Nope, won't be it. How did you establish that the crash might be connected to ships?

Couple of random thoughts:
    - got an 'unlocked' file in your mod's imperial_campaign folder (or the default game)? Remove it - causes a crash if you have a new faction and a random faction gets defeated.
    - if you have a new\custom faction make sure you have all text in the text\expanded file. Template in my tutorial here.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 29, 2018 at 05:30 AM.

I did find an unlocked.txt file in my mod's imperial_campaign folder (none in the game folder itself), but deleting it doesn't fix the CTDs for me. This was some new info for me btw, so thanks for the update!
    The text entries in expanded.txt are all there for me.

I noticed that my mod is prone to crash within the first 10-20 turns after making naval units recruitable in export_descr_buildings.txt. Without the naval units (and only pirate spawns) the mod seems to hold up pretty well with only occasionally crashes at 50-100 or not at all (but it can still crash nonetheless). I just tested again and the mod is consistently crashing when a french navy is attacking a rebel navy. Upon reloading the autosave the french navy beats the rebel navy and the turn progresses. Upon reloading again it crashes again.

So...

Blog Entries

Try experimenting with descr_campaign_db - it might be connected to the autoresolve values, especially the naval ones. Here are the relevant values from EBII:
    Code:
         <min_capture_percent float = "5.0"/>
         <max_capture_percent float = "35.0"/>
         <lopsided_thresh float = "1.5"/>
         <lopsided_hn_mod float = "2.0"/>
         <separation_missile_add uint = "1"/>
         <naval_sink_modifier float = "5.0"/>
         <naval_sink_offset float = "2.5"/>
         <naval_sink_max float = "80.0"/>
    Another long shot would be the stat_stl entry (Number of soldiers needed for unit to count as alive) in the EDU. Setting it to 1 (one) might help.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

crashing when a french navy is attacking a rebel navy
    Is that navy one of your pirate spawns?

Does it also crash when French land units attack rebel land units? If it does then it's a France vs Rebels problem, or maybe anybody vs rebels, not a ships problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast