Thread: Newbie Question (Mercenary Generals)

Default Newbie Question (Mercenary Generals)

Hi Guys,

First of all, to the team, thank you for this great game. I've been enjoying it a lot.

I'm playing as Saka. I recently conquered two provinces from the Palhâvans. I built tributary governments in both. I wanted to recruit mercenary generals to run these settlements, so I moved my family members outside and went to the recruit mercenary screen, but there were no generals available, only ordinary troops. This was the case in both provinces. I looked at the player guide and searched online, but I couldn't find information I need. How can I recruit such generals? Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Newbie Question (Mercenary Generals)

Do you mean the client rulers? those can be recruited once you build the 'allied state' building, the next after tributary.

Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks. Is 'friend's land' the Saka equivalent of 'allied state'?

Quote Originally Posted by TEC View Post
    Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks. Is 'friend's land' the Saka equivalent of 'allied state'?
    No, it's a completely different building tree. The first tier is called the Tributary State, the icons have shaking hands.

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Also, the client rulers are recruited in the cities - and only with that building, so once you upgrade, you have to 'reinstall' a regime (build it all over again) when the client ruler dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbjerg View Post
    Also, the client rulers are recruited in the cities - and only with that building, so once you upgrade, you have to 'reinstall' a regime (build it all over again) when the client ruler dies.
    Being obliged to destroy then rebuild those buildings is a game feature then ? I was searching the forums for an explanation why the higher tiers of allied state were not allowing client ruler recruitment...

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

It appears so, which seems odd, but it does have some historical truth to it - while Romans preferred a stable dynastic takeover when possible, it was a bit more chaotic with the outlying regions. Dynastic struggles, powergrabs etc threw a wrench into a peaceful transition. While in the regions around the Mediterranean, Rome would often integrate the region as a Province once the client ruler died, as we saw with Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JC_von_Preussen View Post
    Being obliged to destroy then rebuild those buildings is a game feature then ? I was searching the forums for an explanation why the higher tiers of allied state were not allowing client ruler recruitment...
    Yes, it's a "feature" and entirely by design.

I had a problem recruiting client rulers sometimes and it says that the "next available unit is available in 50-100 turns". Doesn't always happen but when it does it's annoying. Any way to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty Leaf View Post
    I had a problem recruiting client rulers sometimes and it says that the "next available unit is available in 50-100 turns". Doesn't always happen but when it does it's annoying. Any way to fix this?
    Did you sack the settlement before installing the Allied Government? Sounds like you've zero'd the recruitment pool (which happens if you opt for the bottom one).