Thread: [Mod request] Smaller garrisons

Default [Mod request] Smaller garrisons

Is it possible to make a submod that reduces the number of garrison units to around vanilla levels? I always have the feeling that settlements are way to "fortified". Sure most of the garrison units are low tier but I made the expirience that some AI enemies just have their armies standing in or around a settlement which gives them about ten extra units every time i attack them. I like the concept of Thrones of Britannia it gives you a certain feel of vunerablilty. You really have to think twice if you should send all your forces to the front or keep atleast one army around to protect your smaller settlements. Especially with the threat of a viking army lading on your shores at any time. This would be a nice thing for DEI. The Eras of Rome Mod has a neat feature where settlements are unguarded unless you build a garrison building, maybe that would be a feature for DEI too?

I have no clue about modding or altering any stats so maybe someone likes the idea and wants to make a mod like this?
    I would be very greatful

Default Re: [Mod request] Smaller garrisons

It's surely possible, though it involves start pos editing I think, so it's probably not that easy...

One thing I can tell you, though, garrisons are almost worthless (imo and in the hand of the AI). They don't have the combat power of regular units. Don't be feinted by their numbers, you can crush them easily even when outnumbered.

Here is a screen to support my statement, numbers are almost equal and my army even consists of rather crappy AOR units mostly

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sorry that I can't be of further help, creating such a mod would excel my capabilities.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

A simplier way could be to nerf garrison unit stats editing tabs with PFM.
    You could check Magnar's youtube channel. It will be quite simple, something like working in excel.
    Please, consider to play DeI as intended. You won't regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    [...]
    Please, consider to play DeI as intended. You won't regret.
    I coudn't have said it any better! You basically put the intention of my post in two, short, sensible sentences! Well done, buddy!

You can change them in the pack files and then they should be right after the first turn ends, so you don't have to edit the startpos.

Its not really the same time period or setting as a Thrones type focused saga game, also garrison units are quite vulnerable. The idea is to have a slower campaign that progresses at a specific pace. But if someone wants to edit it, the tables are easy to change (building level armed citizenry table)

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Imo the issue is more about CAI than garrisons themselves. Sometimes it just holes up and would never leave no matter what. I had for example Scythians barricaded in their capital with two stacks, they ignored all my raiding and luring. Eastern satrapies tend to gather like 3-4 stacks around their walled city.
    So, it sorta the thing a guy was talking about in the link of that thread about AI: a smart computer opponent, the one that never takes risks and just plays it safe until 100% opportunity presents itself is not necessarily better for fun and enjoyable gameplay.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Those garrison units are not, however, entirely worthless. A couple of hoplite units well-positioned within the street pattern of a city with some archer units behind them, are capable of fending off the enemy invasion without any support from the field army. That has occured to me on a couple of occasions.

Besides, as Dresden mentioned above, these garrisons play no doubt an important role in slowing down the campaign. In some of the previous TW games, namely Rome 1 and Medieval 2, the garrison script was the primary tool used to prevent the larger AI factions from expanding too fast. I don't know how this would work in Rome 2 without the garrison units, but I guess we would have the same issue here, as well, with the larger factions wiping out at will all the minor factions within the first 100 turns, or so.

I reckon that CA actually learnt from the modder's experience on those earlier titles and, as a result, they decided to insert the garrisons as a vanilla feature of the game.
    Last edited by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~; May 16, 2018 at 05:30 AM.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Those garrison units are not, however, entirely worthless. A couple of hoplite units well-positioned within the street pattern of a city with some archer units behind them, are capable of fending off the enemy invasion without any support from the field army. That has occured to me on a couple of occasions.

Besides, as Dresden mentioned above, these garrisons play no doubt an important role in slowing down the campaign. In some of the previous TW games, namely Rome 1 and Medieval 2, the garrison script was the primary tool used to prevent the larger AI factions from expanding too fast. I don't know how this would work in Rome 2 without the garrison units, but I guess we would have the same issue here, as well, with the larger factions wiping out at will all the minor factions within the first 100 turns, or so.

I reckon that CA actually learnt from the modder's experience on those earlier titles and, as a result, they decided to insert the garrisons as a vanilla feature of the game.
    Exactly.

Found this thread: was thinking the same thing as the thread creator.

Why the smaller garrisons logic: well, you remember back in the days of Rome 1 you actually needed many armies when your empire grows because of the multitude leaderless units that would cross borders all the time and because of the smaller garrison size. That was awesome, cause it added so much on the strategy and planning level. Whereas in Rome 2 Vanilla (and in DeI even more so), in late game you are fine with just one or two armies because of the huge garrison sizes > you could literally just move your army from Syria to Germany and maybe lose 1 or 2 cities at the most because the AI encounters a fortress with every engagement.

Personally I don't mind faster AI vs AI expansion, Player still expands faster and usually remains with one or two bigger opponents by the late game. All in all my issue with the late game is that by the time you get there > there are no more challenges left whatsoever, you get quite bored from fighting AI garrisons too (by the late game out of 100 fights that a player fought at least 70 were against boring AI garrisons).

Anyways, i'd definitely prefer having a sub mod that tones down the garrisons. I looked at the PFM and found these tables, it says:
    id / - / priority / unit / unit group
    50000 / 0 / 500 / GAR_Afr_Armed_Villagers / east_core_garrison_1

But i have no idea what to do with this data to decrease the garrison size. Can someone please help? Thanks!