Thread: [EBII Baktria AAR] Into the East [Updated: 17/12/2018]

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default [EBII Baktria AAR] Into the East [Updated: 17/12/2018]

EXPLANATORY NOTE

At the height of summer, July 2018, Dr Baines and his international team descended upon the formerly abandoned site of Ai-Khanoum; of course it was especially dangerous for them (what with modern Afghanistan being what it is) and all possible steps were taken for their security during their time out in the heat and dust of that place.

The reason for their departure was a most interesting one, being as it is believed that all had been found at the site that could be. Yet not everything had been found, and it was the duty of Dr Baines to travel with all haste and receive into his care something of such little value, and yet immeasurable measure.

I honestly find it hard to explain all that I should, even as I sit here typing this! Nevertheless I shall try.

Greco-Baktria, that most elusive of formations, that region that we in the profession have taken to describing as 'coins and kings' because of the mass of currency and numismatic evidence, has remained a half-glimpsed mirage for most of the modern period and before; with this mission and the results of it I can only say that questions may well be answered, or more dragged into the light.

I ramble, I admit, but excitement grips me. Apologies.

Personal histories of the Hellenistic Period are as rare as can be imagined, indeed any such documents from such a viewpoint are equally so, but one has been found! By God it has.

Inside a cave not far from the main site of Ai-Khanoum, yet somehow untouched by former expeditions and surrounding war, there has been found the body of a male beneath a pile of rocks – a cave in no doubt the cause of death – who's remains have been dated, as have the papyri scraps and writing instruments laying within arms length.

Written (probably dictated) in a mixture of Arcadocypriot and Koine Greek, it appears to contain the personal accounts of one Panares, son of Eteokles, an Arcadian citizen of Lykosoura who was both a mercenary and someone who wanted their life recorded.

What is particularly fascinating is that this same account was found inside Ai-Khanoum itself about a month later, written in much plainer Greek and a better hand, only for a third (yes, a third!) copy of the same tale to be located in modern day Izmir on the Turkish coast – not only near fully preserved, but written in highly readable Latin.

Needless to say that this latter most document was translated with all haste and has now reached us here in Britain, and it is a copy of it that I now attach to you, my good friend, for your perusal and possibly pleasure.

Outside of Xenophon and the infinitely engrossing Anabasis this could well be the only account of its kind.

I shall leave you with a final note; the personal names, Greek used by the original teller of the tale, and locations are all – as far as possible – kept in their original forms. Words, phrases and the like are further explained by our translator Dr Speziale or myself.

- Prof W. P. Sayers

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Default Re: [EBII Baktria AAR] Into the East [Updated: 17/12/2018]

Subbed.

Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Excitement grips me too, at the prospect of a new McScottish AAR! Welcome back!

Campidoctor

Oh my god, I love EBII! I love Baktria! But shouldn't this be in the Med2 forums if it is EBII?

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Oh my god, I love EBII! I love Baktria! But shouldn't this be in the Med2 forums if it is EBII?

This is a very good point!

On the one hand it is an AAR set in the 'Eras' backdrop, but is indeed played on the Medieval II engine, so I've always been of split mind on where to place it; that being said, if Alwyn wishes to shift this over there (save me having to replicate a thread after all), then I've nae problem with it.

Apart from that, I hope I'll live up to expectations from all three of you.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Make that at least 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

So far this feels to me, to be very reminiscent of SeniorBatavianHorse's wonderful work, 'Quinta Macedonica Legio' aka 'The Nowhere Legion' which is a wonderful thing! Can't wait to read more! SUBBED!
    Last edited by isa0005; December 17, 2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Make that at least 4.

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    So far this feels to me, to be very reminiscent of SeniorBatavianHorse's wonderful work, 'Quinta Macedonica Legio' aka 'The Nowhere Legion' which is a wonderful thing! Can't wait to read more! SUBBED!

While I do thank you for that, I must insist that SBH and his work are something I cannot touch - I'll take the compliment nonetheless.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    This is a very good point!

On the one hand it is an AAR set in the 'Eras' backdrop, but is indeed played on the Medieval II engine, so I've always been of split mind on where to place it; that being said, if Alwyn wishes to shift this over there (save me having to replicate a thread after all), then I've nae problem with it.

Please hold onto your hats while I move this AAR to the Medieval II forum for now. (If McScottish would prefer your AAR to be back in the Eras forum because the setting is more important than the game, then we can talk about that ).