Thread: TGA to DDS batch converter

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Default TGA to DDS batch converter

This is a small pack prepared for easy and convenient batch converting .TGA files to .DDS (DXT5)

Main usage is to quickly convert large amount of .TGA files to .DDS format, for example to convert sprites created by RTW ingame sprite generation engine (see RTW sprite generation tutorial by Aradan).
    But you may use the method described here for any other task involving convertation from .TGA to .DDS
    This pack is based on nvdxt.exe tool by NVIDIA (command-line tool included in Legacy Texture Tools)

Usage
    place .TGA files to raw folder and run convert.bat. After some time the result will appear in converted folder, and source .TGA files from raw folder will be thrown to Recycle Bin.
    If you work with sprite files, you may need then to batch rename all .DDS files to .TGA.DDS. I use easy free program Advanced Renamer for this small task.

If you want the source files not to be moved to Recycle Bin after the converting is done, open convert.bat with any text editor and add rem before Recycle so your batch code will look like this:

Code:
    nvdxt.exe -file raw\*.tga -outdir converted
    rem Recycle raw\*.tga
    Credits
    NVIDIA for Legacy Texture Tools
    Frank P.Westlake for free Recycle tool (license included)

DOWNLOAD
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: TGA to DDS batch converter

Only noticed this now - I take it that it's similar to the principle I did for the M2TW sprite generation?

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Only noticed this now - I take it that it's similar to the principle I did for the M2TW sprite generation?
    Probably?

Checked your post, I see that you use your own custom made program, while here I described the usage of official NVIDIA converter, supported by some bat scripts. RTW/MTW 2 sprite generation process is a bit different as well.
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

It does use the (renamed) DDS converter by Nvidia (_1 Convert TGA to DDS.exe) to get from TGA to DDS and then alpaca's converter (_2 Convert DDS to Texture.bat) to arrive at TEXTURE. Last not least a little BAT file (_3 Delete DDS and TGA.bat) to clean up the original and interim files. All of these files are included in the installer.

The bin sub folder contains all the supporting files. The settings file contains the DDS preset for the nvidia converter for ease of use.

Last edited by Gigantus; June 23, 2019 at 10:49 PM.