Thread: Let's Play Wars of the Gods- Ancient Wars (Sparta)

Default Let's Play Wars of the Gods- Ancient Wars (Sparta)

This is my first AAR so I will absolutely keep any and all suggestions in mind. This mod is awesome first off. I highly recommend it! Please be sure to subscribe if you do like this video or any of my others I'm excited to keep this campaign going. I was nervous when my capital was besieged. But Sparta will rise from the ashes and conquer the known world. THIS! IS! SPARTA!

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Default Re: Let's Play Wars of the Gods- Ancient Wars (Sparta)

I like it. Go on Sparta!

Sparta is on the defensive and then on the offensive toward the end. Larrissa continues to be a pain while Macedon is becoming a looming threat. Fortunately, my south border that of the Mediterranean seems to be well protected due to Knossos having a heavy military presence in that area. It is still early but I'm sure the area of influence among factions will continue to change.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

This looks a very enjoyable campaign and a great introduction to the mod. It looks like your move against Athens in the early campaign was an important step. As you only had one spy, I was a bit worried that sending your spy on a long journey would mean that you'd be surprised by enemies closer to home.

After several years on the defensive, Sparta begins to unify Greece under Spartan rule. Epirus tries to hold off but is invaded from the north and the south. Meanwhile, Macedon over extends its boundaries and is attacked on all fronts by multiple kingdoms. A major city is taken by Sparta in this episode that should bring more attention to the small city-state. Crete must eventually be dealt with especially since they are busy dealing with Rhodes at the moment. THIS IS SPARTA!

Almost the entire last half of this video is a massive garrison battle with 13,000 men. Check it out!

The Battle of Athenai in the first part of episode 3 had plenty of nail-biting tension, particularly when the enemy reinforcements intercepted yours. Would you have played that battle differently, knowing how it turned out, or would it not have been possible to get a better outcome?

As you said, it looks like recruiting as many mercenaries as you could was an important move. I wonder if this mod either reduces mercenary upkeep or increases your income (or both), since after recruiting all available mercenaries you didn't have to disband them before the end of the turn.

I also wonder if, at times, you'd like to say more about the new units and their strengths and weaknesses on the battlefield, and also about your strategy on the campaign map. Episode 3 was great, I'll continue to follow this.
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 01, 2019 at 06:06 AM.

Here is my New Year video! Everyone have a wonderful 2019!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Best wishes for 2019 to you, too!

Sorry it's taken me ages to get here - my December was really busy. It's great to see this, though, even though I'm late.

Happy New Year! It looks like Sparta is flourishing despite the challenges, including food shortages and rival nations. It also looks like you have a huge number of options when developing settlements with this mod.

Another awesome episode! I added a scene from the movie Troy somewhere in the video

Sparta continues to expand east, halting its expansion of Italy after the failed invasion. A massive super power asks for peace with Sparta easing some of the tensions in the east.

An amazing battle with Egypt that takes up the bulk of the video took place. I highly recommend checking this one out! We continue to expand east and prepare to assault Italy yet again! I love the unit variety of all of the faction, everything look crisp and new.

It's helpful to have an overview of what's happening in surrounding provinces and it sounds like diplomacy and well-chosen trade deals are an important part of your strategy, enabling you to focus on specific military goals without distractions. I see what you mean about the variety of units.

Really great battle with Rome in this episode as two massive Spartan fleets land in a Roman city, watch to see if they take it! In the next episode I will be overviewing the diplomacy of the world so far (per-request). Who likes who, who is almost dead and who is to be feared. Be sure to subscribe to stay up-to-date on Sparta's conquests!

Sparta continues to conquer east. It looks as though Egypt is on the run while Pontus declares client state status. However, is Sparta spread too thin? Another string of years where Spartans are starving. Sparta needs to contain its issues if its to fight the bigger giants to the west.

Some wins and loses in this episode. Cyprus packs a nasty punch- I've awoken the "scorpion" Egypt continue to be pushed back. as does Rome. Sparta continues to face manpower shortages all throughout its empire. Rather than rely on the number of armies they have, Sparta must rely on the quality of it's small and elite military.

Good update, you show the action on the battiefield well. It's helpful to have occasional glimpses into your thoughts on the events in the battle, I wonder if you'd like to say more about your thinking when you're commanding units in battle. I was surprised by how long the skirmishing period lasted, I wonder if this was caused by the line of spikes.