Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The House of Noble Discourse

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: The House of Noble Discourse

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Well, we should always try our best
    indeed we should certainly try

and reading back sorry if I came across agressieve I was just hoping to get a bit of debate going on it
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    indeed we should certainly try

and reading back sorry if I came across agressieve I was just hoping to get a bit of debate going on it
    No need mate, I got your point
    Well there is one already but I'd lie to believe some people could actually be objective. I have seen it many times during long serious debates etc

PS
    I just replied quickly from my phone.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 12, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Personally i feel that this group should strive to distance itself from the idea of debating, or at the very least the western definition of it which mandates winning as the ultimate goal, more twoards the idea of discussion as an exchange of ideas and viewpoints with people from different cultures and backgrounds in order to further your own understanding of the world.

If it does not do this any behavioral code will fall flat on its ass in time because the intelectual dishonesty, the ideological preaching and the toxicity will still be there just bhidden under fake politness and biased website links.

Nobody in the d&d is ever going to convince anybody else of anything. So we should all take a step back and chill out with the ideological war and the obession with winning.

Anyway, that's how i see things.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Yes, a ‘discussion and discourse’ would be better than ‘discussion and debate’
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Personally i feel that this group should strive to distance itself from the idea of debating, or at the very least the western definition of it which mandates winning as the ultimate goal, more twoards the idea of discussion as an exchange of ideas and viewpoints with people from different cultures and backgrounds in order to further your own understanding of the world.
    Indeed. The purpose of the group is certainly not to figure out ways to 'win' debates, but to promote 'noble discourse' - honest, good-faith discussion. I can't tell if you're speaking generally or in response to something though?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Generally, after seeing people here talk almost exclusively about debating.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

If it does not do this any behavioral code will fall flat on its ass in time because the intelectual dishonesty, the ideological preaching and the toxicity will still be there just bhidden under fake politness and biased website links.

Nobody in the d&d is ever going to convince anybody else of anything. So we should all take a step back and chill out with the ideological war and the obession with winning.

Would be interested in seeing a VV thread about history and tradition of debate in Western society. I could google it, but I find some of our members have a flair for exposition. Much more enjoyable to read than clinical history books.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Certainly not. Not all opinions are equally valid and the best rhetorics cannot compensate an inconsistent or contrafactual position. The idea that debating is a merely rhetorical exercise to defend any randomly given position is a harmful child of the angloamerican debate-society-culture.
    This is an internet forum. All discussions and debate are academic.

I think Settra has it right....

Bravo, you must be a teacher or something...LOL

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Would be interested in seeing a VV thread about history and tradition of debate in Western society. I could google it, but I find some of our members have a flair for exposition. Much more enjoyable to read than clinical history books.
    Μοre enjoyable than working in a Clinic too

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

The Honourable Dante von Hespburg has joined our Noble House! If there ever was a more courteous Knight of Discourse I have yet to meet him.

Welcome Dante!
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

I thank you kindly Kats, its a privilege to have been invited to join in with you guys. Good to be here
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

So when does the party get started?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

out of curiosity, what has been of this, eventually?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

... anyone?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Good question mate...
    I think the active drive behind this isn't that active anymore, alas.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

Seether
    Aexodus
    Sukiyama
    Elfdude
    Alwyn
    Pikestance
    Katsumoto
    Iskar
    Abdülmecid I
    most of the members are still active in the site, though

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I haven't seen Elfdude or Katsumoto or Iskar much lately, after all it was Iskar or Katsumoto or both who proposed The House of Noble Discourse.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

We are the super most exclusive club. Only the chosen may enter.

Blog Entries

however, if any of the members are up to do something about this, please just send me a PM about
    Last edited by Flinn; March 06, 2020 at 04:09 AM.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Reboot, perhaps?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast