Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The House of Noble Discourse

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The House of Noble Discourse

err well it was Caillagh and not Hitai of course

you damned de Bodemlozes!!!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

I'm glad this is underway, I'm happy to join, reading the thread left me a bit confused about what it was though, as I understand this is a voluntary association of folks trying to promote higher quality debate? What if we have issues with others not promoting quality debate?

We put them in Putin's Gulag. Obviously.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

If someone joins and then doesn't stick to the rules we can vote to remove them, is what I figured. And yes, also gulag.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Consider me in

As far as self-policing and voting people out if they misbehave, what kind of requirements for the vote to stand? 3/4 majority? 2/3 majority? A simple majority? And will there be a minimum number of votes required (something small like 5)?
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

I wonder if it is a good idea to establish a "permission group" that people can request to join like a development group or the Help Project. Have it so that it can be viewed by the public but you have to be a member to post in it.
    Just to stress; if someone wants in, they are in. Logical location would be the mudpit area.
    Last edited by PikeStance; December 19, 2018 at 08:26 PM.

I think I may prefer to reserve the right to occasionally make completely inane posts rather always stick to a higher code. I'm also pretty sure I'm less concerned about the state of D&D, and have a higher tolerance for nonsense, than many of you participating in this discussion, but I do have a suggestion that might improve things. Something some others here have no doubt arrived at either consciously or intuitively, and that is know when to quit (or at least take a break).

There are, and probably will always be as long as this site is up, posters who will continue to talk past your posts without ever addressing the content of your argument. Maybe their worldview is too different from yours to follow your points, maybe they don't consider your arguments strong enough to be worth responding to, maybe they're just happy to have another opportunity to repeat their talking points without double-posting, maybe they're deliberately trolling you. I'm not saying you need to write anyone off (although you may want to in some cases, though posters do develop in their styles over time or their contributions vary depending on the particular topic) but after someone has talked past you a couple times consecutively in a particular thread, it seems to me to be more productive to either bow out immediately, or make just one more concise post summarizing your main point before walking away. Don't return to the thread until you feel there is actually something new of substance worth addressing. Yes, some posters will use that opportunity to declare your lack of further response as evidence of their own victory, no, that doesn't convince anyone following the thread unless they already agree.

This post of mine is actually too preachy for my own tastes, but I have seen some of you guys effectively trolled repeatedly and at great length, whether that was your interlocutor's intent or not. For whatever that's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

I wouldn't worry about it being too preachy, I think you were very fair. I'm happy for us to change the code if we think it's too restrictive or unrealistic, as it isn't set in stone or anything - the intention definitely isn't to force every post to be some expansive essay or to stop us having any fun. I've seen your 'inane' comments and I certainly wouldn't want them 'banned' if you were a member of the House. The idea was to encourage civil discussion more than anything, to prevent us resorting to ranting, trolling and the like, by holding each other accountable. That makes it sound like a support group but I think it would be good to have a group of us that are interested in mostly productive/intellectual debate working together to encourage that. I think you raise a really good point about knowing when to leave the discussion, as some really dumb debates go on for ages because people are coming back and falling prey to trolling or disingenuous debate. That's something maybe we could look out for and let each other know about - "don't bother with this discussion, they're trolling you." Maybe people don't realise that's what's happening.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I’m interested in joining if this group gets set up yes, but my concern is that this will make the actual DnD worse not better. I know that the mudpit has changed to being dominated by one group of extremists around 2010, and another today, but quarantining the discussion only takes activity away from the forum? Or spreading it across another forum dilutes it.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

The main purpose is to improve the D&D, yes, though as mentioned people can debate here or in the Symposium as well.

Also Seether, 2/3 majority perhaps, 5 votes minimum? I suppose we can figure that out once we solidify membership.

I'll start listing confirmed members in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I think I may prefer to reserve the right to occasionally make completely inane posts rather always stick to a higher code. I'm also pretty sure I'm less concerned about the state of D&D, and have a higher tolerance for nonsense, than many of you participating in this discussion, but I do have a suggestion that might improve things. Something some others here have no doubt arrived at either consciously or intuitively, and that is know when to quit (or at least take a break).

There are, and probably will always be as long as this site is up, posters who will continue to talk past your posts without ever addressing the content of your argument. Maybe their worldview is too different from yours to follow your points, maybe they don't consider your arguments strong enough to be worth responding to, maybe they're just happy to have another opportunity to repeat their talking points without double-posting, maybe they're deliberately trolling you. I'm not saying you need to write anyone off (although you may want to in some cases, though posters do develop in their styles over time or their contributions vary depending on the particular topic) but after someone has talked past you a couple times consecutively in a particular thread, it seems to me to be more productive to either bow out immediately, or make just one more concise post summarizing your main point before walking away. Don't return to the thread until you feel there is actually something new of substance worth addressing. Yes, some posters will use that opportunity to declare your lack of further response as evidence of their own victory, no, that doesn't convince anyone following the thread unless they already agree.

This post of mine is actually too preachy for my own tastes, but I have seen some of you guys effectively trolled repeatedly and at great length, whether that was your interlocutor's intent or not. For whatever that's worth.
    This is pretty much what I do. A good portion of the animosity that has developed is some people think that people reading the discussion somehow lack critical thinking skills. They feel a need to address silly comments and the discussion divulges into nonsense. Another side effect is the written word is perhaps the worse form of communication. A lot his communicated in body language or even voice inflection. Too often people fail to realize they actually misunderstood and are not "trolling."

To be honest, I tend to not bother reading posts in the mudpit. It is too rigidly discussed and posters often get petty in the discussion. Other forums or comment sections are full of insight and a lot of zany comments that just make the discussion more fun.

When are we going to talk about how superior our debating skills are boys?

We?

I do find it impressive how some of you manage to write up these massive replies that address multiple points - I find it exhausting sometimes even addressing a single one. Especially when the other guy comes back with a blanket dismissal of every source you provide. I suppose at that point it's like Sumskilz said - best to ignore them.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

every human activity should be "profitable" in a way or another; debating for the sake of it, does make little sense IMO so, yes, it is how Sumskilz said, best to ignore them, especially if they are already ignoring what you tell them

I always find difficult to debate online, because the line of discussion is easily disrupted (even not intentionally) and it's very hard to listen to other people's opinion when you are under a constant barrage of new inputs, the majority of which are redundant or off-topic. I honestly envy those who are able to keep their posts civil and efficent despite being subject to the above; I think it's a matter of having the skill of being able to keep the post clear and easy to read while at the same time providing deep thoughts and sound facts/sources, this way one can keep the attention of the reader focused and the read in itself will never result long or boring, no matter how long the text is
    In other words, debating is not just about having the right ideas, but also (or rather) about having the right skills to present them (remember Cicero? )
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    In other words, debating is not just about having the right ideas, but also (or rather) about having the right skills to present them (remember Cicero? )
    Couldn't agree more! Plus the gift of objective thinking and judgment, if I may add
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 12, 2019 at 11:02 AM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Could agree more! Plus the gift of objective thinking and judgment, if I may add
    which raises the question if both of these exist in my opinion

since everyone and their mother has their bias myself included
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I could not disagree more. What is the "right" idea? Opinion? A skillful debater is someone who could take any idea and debate the merits of that idea convincingly.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    which raises the question if both of these exist in my opinion

since everyone and their mother has their bias myself included
    Well, we should always try our best

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I could not disagree more. What is the "right" idea? Opinion? A skillful debater is someone who could take any idea and debate the merits of that idea convincingly.
    Certainly not. Not all opinions are equally valid and the best rhetorics cannot compensate an inconsistent or contrafactual position. The idea that debating is a merely rhetorical exercise to defend any randomly given position is a harmful child of the angloamerican debate-society-culture.
    Last edited by Iskar; January 12, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast