Thread: Suggestions & Ideas Thread

Default Suggestions & Ideas Thread

Suggestions and Ideas are endless, and I know that there is a good number of people who have downloaded this mod and have played it. Of course it is not finished, as I am releasing it as an open beta as I make progress BUT I would like to hear what ideas and suggestions you might have for this mod going forward. If you have anything of the sort, please post here!

Miles

Default Re: Suggestions & Ideas Thread

More regions, always wanted to play the fancy colourful vanilla nations on a map with way more regions.
    And some sort of elite phalanx for Thrace, like Bronze shields reskinned or something

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SanderP View Post
    More regions, always wanted to play the fancy colourful vanilla nations on a map with way more regions.
    And some sort of elite phalanx for Thrace, like Bronze shields reskinned or something
    While waiting for ahowl to finish this mod you could try his & my friend Lanjane's recently released Barbarian Empires, you have 12 campaigns on different maps to choose from, it's a fun and semi-historical spiced up version of vanilla with 100's of reskinned and new late game units and regional troops, the battlemap balance is fine tuned for smooth gameplay and I recommend it's worth a look. I also suggest you add the Rome Total Music submod too, this allows you to choose the relevant cultural music for the faction you select to play as if you like. https://www.moddb.com/mods/lanjanes-barbarian-empires
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; January 10, 2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added info
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Foxcon's Avatar Foederatus

I'd suggest, since you added a 'perfect spy'-script (which is not working somehow.. and i can't see any reference to the script file in export_descr_advice), that you also add the force-diplomacy script. I think it turned out to be very helpful in the game
    Quod si non est ita quis me potest arguere esse mentitum et ponere ante Deum verba mea?

I have a few suggestions, Thrace could be given more barbarian units maybe barbarian noble cavalry or Gothic cavalry or maybe axemen or chosen swordsmen? a few typical barb units to represent the heavily barbarian roots of thrace. or slingers? Dacia could be given horse archers like scythia but have them be recruitable at a higher tier of barracks. Barracks could give a law bonus. this is especially for barb factions that struggle with distance to capital penalties and un-upgradable minor cities unless you plan to add large cities or huge cities for barbs. one thing I personally like about rome is culturizing settlements so giving barbs the ability to have larger cities would be cool. sort of like in BI. I dont think india should be included but streaching the map a bit more to include parts of baktria to just represent more of the parthian empire would be cool. numidia could get some units like Libyan spearmen to just expand their roster. also I think it would be a nice touch if the scythian warband and maybe future foot soldiers for scythia had that metal skullcap that their barbarian cavalry and axemen have. thats all I can think of now good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Amilius Brutus View Post
    I have a few suggestions, Thrace could be given more barbarian units maybe barbarian noble cavalry or Gothic cavalry or maybe axemen or chosen swordsmen? a few typical barb units to represent the heavily barbarian roots of thrace. or slingers? Dacia could be given horse archers like scythia but have them be recruitable at a higher tier of barracks. Barracks could give a law bonus. this is especially for barb factions that struggle with distance to capital penalties and un-upgradable minor cities unless you plan to add large cities or huge cities for barbs. one thing I personally like about rome is culturizing settlements so giving barbs the ability to have larger cities would be cool. sort of like in BI. I dont think india should be included but streaching the map a bit more to include parts of baktria to just represent more of the parthian empire would be cool. numidia could get some units like Libyan spearmen to just expand their roster. also I think it would be a nice touch if the scythian warband and maybe future foot soldiers for scythia had that metal skullcap that their barbarian cavalry and axemen have. thats all I can think of now good luck!
    Thanks for the suggestions, Thrace will probably be unique leaning more towards Greek, but it won’t feel like a proper Greek faction, nor Barbarian.. but instead it’s own.
    Giving Horse Archers to Dacia is a great idea, so I’ll make sure they are in the next release.
    Ive been thinking of expanding the map to include Bactria as well, but then many people will want Bactria as a faction.
    Barbarian cities make more sense to have 3 tiers right now but this could change in the future.
    Numidia does need an infantry unit, I’ll admit! Desert Infantry will eventually be a unit for Arabian lands.
    Good idea on Scythians for uniformity and uniqueness to their look, I’ll look into that!

i would suggest removing segmentata legionaries. vanilla ends in 12 AD and its half a century before this armor becomes popular. there could be evocatae or veterans instead of them with the same equipment but better morale and overall stats. and typical early legionaries for seleucids.

I would suggest to use only bonus vs mounts in "mount_effect" and remove "spear" attribute for weapon of non-phalanx spearmen. some factions, mostly greeks, have only spearmen and "spear" attribute makes their infantry vulnerable to swordsmen.

Thank you all for thoughts and suggestions. Now that v9 is released I have a bit of a blank slate of what features I can add, so I will be looking into all of your ideas for v10!

I think its a good idea to make mercenaries retrainable. not recruitable, just retrainable. in traders buildings, for example. taverns in medieval 1 used to do it. its a shame that valuable units that compensate factions weaknesses cannot replenish themselves, so that faction can't really rely on mercenary armies. like carthage and diadochs in reality used to.

you could add stone walls for the barbarian factions if you want

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

I would personally like this mod to stick fairly close to vanilla in mechanics and gameplay but to have re-skinned units and a map like the one in the early versions of RTR.I remember I liked the skins in the old Rome Total Gameplay for instance but anything but the vanilla skins would be better IMHO,
    (and Merc's, lots of Merc's)

Well the whole point of this mod is to have a vanilla look and feel haha so the skins won’t be anything like RTR. I hope you can continue to enjoy the game regardless

I remember some buildings providing a boost to law in BI that didn't in vanilla Rome...maybe you could give buildings that provided a public order bonus in BI the same bonus in your mod? And maybe give Siwa to rebels since Numidia never owned it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix VII View Post
    I remember some buildings providing a boost to law in BI that didn't in vanilla Rome...maybe you could give buildings that provided a public order bonus in BI the same bonus in your mod? And maybe give Siwa to rebels since Numidia never owned it?
    Sorry for the super late response! What buildings are you talking about? Also, by now the map has been completely overhauled, so Numidia is in an accurate location.

baselhun's Avatar Civis

Hi this is the mod certainly for my taste, I love vanilla feeling in this game and you seemed to do nice job improving the vanilla overall. Homever can you make mercenaries recruited from barracs in their specific region? For example, anyone who has missile range in rhodes is able to recruit rhodian slingers, same for other mercs, is this possible or too much to ask?

Plus will you consider adding more ammo to skirmishers? Afaik in ancient warfare not every battle was decisive battle, small skirmishes would happen, homewer in the vanilla game skirmishes like that wont really happen much thus significantly put skirmishers, especially javeliners (particularly low ammo)in a sluggish position. Thanks for making his mod.

Quote Originally Posted by baselhun View Post
    Hi this is the mod certainly for my taste, I love vanilla feeling in this game and you seemed to do nice job improving the vanilla overall. Homever can you make mercenaries recruited from barracs in their specific region? For example, anyone who has missile range in rhodes is able to recruit rhodian slingers, same for other mercs, is this possible or too much to ask?

Plus will you consider adding more ammo to skirmishers? Afaik in ancient warfare not every battle was decisive battle, small skirmishes would happen, homewer in the vanilla game skirmishes like that wont really happen much thus significantly put skirmishers, especially javeliners (particularly low ammo)in a sluggish position. Thanks for making his mod.
    Hello, I am glad you like the mod! There will not be a system to recruit regional units just because it's too east to exploit for the ai and player. Instead you will have a limited number of mercenaries available to you in the mercenary pool.

I can look into the ammo for future versions.

baselhun's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Hello, I am glad you like the mod! There will not be a system to recruit regional units just because it's too east to exploit for the ai and player. Instead you will have a limited number of mercenaries available to you in the mercenary pool.

I can look into the ammo for future versions.
    Oh well...

Also do you consider lowering stats as in the vanilla, I'm talking about all stats; attack, defence, charge, don't you think it makes experience, weapon&armor upgrades significantly less relevant?