Thread: The population/happiness spike event - somehow related to faction reemergence?

Default The population/happiness spike event - somehow related to faction reemergence?

So, I noticed a huge population and happiness spike at turn 137, so I decided to document the whole thing. I am making a separate thread in hopes of seeing others reporting similar finds and getting some badly needed answers - bear with me.

The only notable event is that I got the notification the Epeiros reemerged. Otherwise, business as usual. A couple of buildings got finished - a school and a market.

Turn 136 - things are normal.
    Cities: Alali, Atig, Qart -Hadast
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Turn 137 - I get word that Epeiros is back and things get crazy. Same cities. I made a save game.

Turn 138, things are back to normal. Same cities.

It would appear that the population increased normally, and that my profit stayed the same, despite the crazy projections.
    When I loaded a save game back to turn 137, things were normal. As if nothing happened.

My question is - how do I proceed? Do I keep playing the campaign?

How is this related to faction reemergence?
    Last edited by Rad; December 11, 2018 at 02:30 PM.

Default Re: The population/happiness spike event - somehow related to faction reemergence?

I had the same around that time although I was playing Rome and went into the Epeirote lands itself. I am pretty sure the timing coincided with Epeiros having re-emerged. Suddenly there would be a Greek city with about 7% population growth and no problems of discontent.

I cannot offer much advice, but in my campaign the population growth slowed down over time (many many turns) and the city ended up healthy and happy. I am a bit ashamed that I did not do any reading to find out what kind of historical event was taking place. I think you can carry on playing as you were, but I am equally interested to hear an expert explanation of what we observed.

Default Re: The population/happiness spike event - somehow related to faction reemergence?

Only the projected growth info got mad - across all of my cities.
    No actual extraordinary increase in population took place. If you take a look at the number of households per city, you'll see that the growth remained normal at turns 137 and 138.

Lotsa bark, no bite. It freaked me out, though.

Since more factions will inevitably fall and rise again, I wanna know what I should do next.
    Last edited by Rad; December 11, 2018 at 03:44 PM.

It is a part of the faction re-emergence script that is supposed to stop the faction re-emerging anywhere but the intended target. The theory is that if there is a Rebel settlement with a lower public order than the target, the re-emerge will happen there instead. So in the period when the re-emerge should take place, order and growth are boosted everywhere but the target.

That should all occur invisibly to the player, and at least it does switch off again as its supposed to. Given we still have wandering re-emergence, I'm coming round to the notion that I'm just going to have to rewrite the whole damned thing.

So... can I continue playing?
    Will get back to you with info on where Epeiros reemerged.

Yes, as long as those boosts didn't stay in place, you're fine.

It was Epidamnos.

Save. Then just reload the game and the issue will be gone.

I've been doing that the past month or so, Necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by sftonix View Post
    Save. Then just reload the game and the issue will be gone.
    Why reload when you can just do your stuff in the game, end turn and everything will be back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Why reload when you can just do your stuff in the game, end turn and everything will be back to normal
    I don't like seeing the artificial happiness and pop. growth boost. Plus, it actually makes me turn off the game for a couple of minutes every once in a while