Thread: Opinions on changing buildings and the building tree?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Opinions on changing buildings and the building tree?

Hello guys.

Me and Bantu Chieftain have been doing most modding work by interacting on Skype. And i've only had contact with WarcraftHero here on TWC and also with Sulf on MOD DB and here - not often though.

As you might recall Bantu wanted a different system of portraits based on other stuff than actual persons - in order to have races such as Draenei without having them use Human portraits and such. There are limits on how many religions and cultures there can be - and we have reached these limits.

Bantu dislikes many things, such as the fact Nerubians, Legion, Scourge, Forsaken and Ahn'Qiraj share building tree and culture. He wishes them to have race-specific buildings for their recruitment, thinks they should have non-person portraits so the undead won't share pics with the demons etc. In essence he is still going on about this stuff. What do you guys think?

WarcraftHero wrote this to me:

"I think Sulfurion did a very good job with the buildings; in my opinion we should leave them as they are since they work fine and the icons are cool. Splitting buildings per race would be an impossible task; it would create confusion among the players and also there are hardocoded limits for the amount of buildings in the EDB. The more we add or modify in the EDB, higher is the risk that there will be crashes. Do you still remember that old building duplication bug in the campaign, don't you?.

So in my opinion the EDB is fine as it is."

I must say that i do agree. More buildings will only cause issues.. And i have zero interest in re-working any recruitment or make new building pics. That bug might also return.

Still - seeing as Sulf hasn't been active in awhile, and as WarcraftHero isn't really involved in the Skype-activity - i just want to hear other opinions on this.

My own opinion is clear - Buildings are finished, portraits are finished - and the only thing remaining is the voices and final units/faction rosters.

If Bantu wants a different building tree, different portrait-system and so on - he will be forced to create his own submod. I don't agree with the main mod taking that route. Problem is that it is hard to work with him when he does these changes anyway. So are the opinion with him or not?

I still do not feel like re-working anything.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 10, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Default Re: Opinions on changing buildings and the building tree?

I do understand each point of view here, Warcrafthero is rightly worried about the harcoded limits while Bantu is frustrated because of them.
    In my opionion they are both right and Bantu should have the freedom to pursue is own submod.
    But i also do think that this should not hurt the work on the main mod by any means.
    Working on the main mod and submod at the same time could potentially exhausts Bantu.
    In the end i do think that the team should finish the work on the final units/faction and voices first and then start the submod project, but since it could and surely will take a lot of time to do that, Bantu will eventually get even more frustrated and this could affect his work on the main mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg93 View Post
    I do understand each point of view here, Warcrafthero is rightly worried about the harcoded limits while Bantu is frustrated because of them.
    In my opionion they are both right and Bantu should have the freedom to pursue is own submod.
    But i also do think that this should not hurt the work on the main mod by any means.
    Working on the main mod and submod at the same time could potentially exhausts Bantu.
    In the end i do think that the team should finish the work on the final units/faction and voices first and then start the submod project, but since it could and surely will take a lot of time to do that, Bantu will eventually get even more frustrated and this could affect his work on the main mod.
    You misunderstand.

Bantu Chieftain wants to change the main mod into his own vision, and i do not support that - WarcraftHero doesn't neither it would seem - i am the only one who stated he can make his own submod instead with such changes.

- The issue is he wants to do changes to the main mod that others might not want.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

"In the end i do think that the team should finish the work on the final units/faction and voices first and then start the submod project, but since it could and surely will take a lot of time to do that, Bantu will eventually get even more frustrated and this could affect his work on the main mod."

My entire opinion is that we should focus on what you mention here.

There is no submod, he wants to change the main mod a lot - so i am the one thinking that is submod-material.

- The Havamal

You misunderstand.

Bantu Chieftain wants to change the main mod into his own vision, and i do not support that - WarcraftHero doesn't neither it would seem - i am the only one who stated he can make his own submod instead with such changes.

- The issue is he wants to do changes to the main mod that others might not want.
    Well now that's problematic.
    At this point i think you should politely ask him to not do that at all.
    He should understand since you are the team leader.
    And if he really want to do all of that anyway i still think that it's fine, but try to tell him to make his own submod instead of changing directly the main mod.
    I think that the submod idea it's the best compromise with this situation.
    Last edited by Zerg93; December 12, 2018 at 09:57 AM.

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

One more building tree for nerubians/qiraji wouldnt hurt. I dont like graveyards and crypts for ahn qiraji. Unless you rename the buildings or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantu Chieftain View Post
    One more building tree for nerubians/qiraji wouldnt hurt. I dont like graveyards and crypts for ahn qiraji. Unless you rename the buildings or something.
    There was a bug connected to their names making pictures not show and what not.

And also, i don't like that you have started to act like you are the boss for the last couple of weeks - demanding from me to do this and that.

I simply loose interest in working on the mod when you act like you own the mod.

- Which is also why i felt the need to release it, and take a pause - it has been very demanding to work with you lately.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 13, 2018 at 01:03 AM.

- The Havamal