Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 125

Thread: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

  1. #101

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    That game seems quite fun Sarkiss. Even the reviews are mostly positive. Despite having a more "basic" user interface, it seems what Imperator Rome should have been...
    yep, looks intriguing. i may end up buying it, if only to support the devs for venturing into the genre and focusing on the ancient world. we need more variety of choice.

  2. #102
    Lusitanio's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,495

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    yep, looks intriguing. i may end up buying it, if only to support the devs for venturing into the genre and focusing on the ancient world. we need more variety of choice.
    Indeed, I fully agree. Give me some well developed ancient history games and rpgs like fallout and I will not go outside of my room for a long time

  3. #103

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    another episode of 'Events after Alexander', Battle of Thessalia, 321 BC:


    Having issues with my OBS Studio, it wont start recording stating that I need to update drivers and such. tried to look for solution online to no avail. if anyone knows how to fix this please do share. for now i was pretty much forced to use GeForce Experience and Im not too sure it is an adequate alternative. also experimenting with a new headset with a built-in mic so apologies if audio isnt great.

    episode #15, Battle of Karia, 320 BC:
    Last edited by Sarkiss; April 25, 2021 at 04:02 AM. Reason: battle of karia added

  4. #104

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    another historical battle (based on 2.35A R2) - #16, Battle of Orkynia, 320 BC:


  5. #105
    Raiuga's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Became a follower, great content with a different and very interesting take!

    Keep them coming.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    A missions-driven Baktrian playthrough based on the latest iteration of EBII (2.35)


  7. #107

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Nice work on this first foray into Baktria! I wonder about how you are going to deal with the Saka (and Pahlava to a lesser extent). they are always a frustrating foe to fight regardless of what faction you play (Especially with their tendency to horde when deprived of all of their settlements). I really look forward to the day when Baktria puts her foot down and draw the line with her Seleukidai overlords.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu



  8. #108

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    I wonder sometimes if Baktria's "opening crawl" should mention that the Seleukids are their conduit for Hellenistic colonists, which is why they shouldn't be so quick to reject the tribute and go to war with them right away?

  9. #109

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I wonder sometimes if Baktria's "opening crawl" should mention that the Seleukids are their conduit for Hellenistic colonists, which is why they shouldn't be so quick to reject the tribute and go to war with them right away?
    I say do it, Baktria was the first faction I dived into when I first started playing EB2 ( v2.35, having jumped straight from EB1 and never having played vanilla Medieval 2 at the time...), at the time, I knew nothing of the script rationed colonists nor how to get them and got severely punished for it by never being able to upgrade Baktria to a metropolis on my very first EB2 playthrough (Please make sure people read the guide first before playing a single minute of EB2 !), it also did not help that I rebelled against the Seleukidai just after the 3rd mission (To fortify Alexandria- Eschate).
    Last edited by realm56; August 29, 2021 at 05:22 AM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu



  10. #110

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Nice work on this first foray into Baktria! I wonder about how you are going to deal with the Saka (and Pahlava to a lesser extent). they are always a frustrating foe to fight regardless of what faction you play (Especially with their tendency to horde when deprived of all of their settlements). I really look forward to the day when Baktria puts her foot down and draw the line with her Seleukidai overlords.
    tbh imho Baktria is well equipped to deal with them, having access to excellent spearmen archers and horse archers, not to mention their good cavalry roster. but we shall see, i may be overestimating it (or myself)

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I wonder sometimes if Baktria's "opening crawl" should mention that the Seleukids are their conduit for Hellenistic colonists, which is why they shouldn't be so quick to reject the tribute and go to war with them right away?
    yes please. honestly, it is complex enough with all the different govt types, recruitment buildings etc. the more user-friendly it is the better.

    mission 2 is up:

  11. #111

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    I skipped through most of the second video so I don't know if you've already got the second mission to take Alexandreia Eschate... but if you haven't yet you might as well restart the campaign. The Seleucids refuse to grant you colonists if you take that settlement before they order you to

    Edit: Nevermind, the title of this video is "Mission 2" so you definitely got the notice from daddy Seleucos. Sorry!

  12. #112

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    I skipped through most of the second video so I don't know if you've already got the second mission to take Alexandreia Eschate... but if you haven't yet you might as well restart the campaign. The Seleucids refuse to grant you colonists if you take that settlement before they order you to

    Edit: Nevermind, the title of this video is "Mission 2" so you definitely got the notice from daddy Seleucos. Sorry!
    thanks for the heads up. luckily, i take my time and focus on following the missions as religiously as i can. but yeah, with the two starting stacks, there is certainly scope for blitzing, if anyone's tempted enough.

  13. #113

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    episode 3 of Baktrian campaign:


    btw, was elephants' ability to smash their way into the settlements disabled?

  14. #114

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Yes, Elephants can no longer do that

  15. #115

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Yes, Elephants can no longer do that
    i see, thanks. i know it wasn't perfect but im going to miss the option a bit, alongside flaming arrows. made unit more unique and in general spiced things up a little.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    you truly learn something new every day. in all those thousand hours i played EBII (and Med2 & its various mods) i have never happen to use pikes offensively in sieges. until now.

    episode 4/mission 4 of Baktria is up:

  17. #117

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    I see you've stumbled upon the dirty secret of pikes in the streets. You can even replicate this in the field battle, but I'd call that a bit of a dirty trick as AI can't do that.

    See...in M2TW, unless someone really messes with some soldier attributes, two unit can occupy same space without interfering, as troops of one formation stand in the gaps between troops of the other formation. For most units, it means little as reach of every soldier is limited and it's really only the front row that fights. But with pikes, it effectively means you're bringing in extra three rows of pikes into fight. This both means twice as many attacks and denser wall of pikes preventing the enemy from closing in to melee range. In fact, two overlapping pike units on guard mode are virtually impenetrable from the front.

    You can overlap the pike units while deploying them, but when you simply order multiple pike units to push through the street, it happens naturally.

  18. #118

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I see you've stumbled upon the dirty secret of pikes in the streets. You can even replicate this in the field battle, but I'd call that a bit of a dirty trick as AI can't do that.

    See...in M2TW, unless someone really messes with some soldier attributes, two unit can occupy same space without interfering, as troops of one formation stand in the gaps between troops of the other formation. For most units, it means little as reach of every soldier is limited and it's really only the front row that fights. But with pikes, it effectively means you're bringing in extra three rows of pikes into fight. This both means twice as many attacks and denser wall of pikes preventing the enemy from closing in to melee range. In fact, two overlapping pike units on guard mode are virtually impenetrable from the front.

    You can overlap the pike units while deploying them, but when you simply order multiple pike units to push through the street, it happens naturally.
    i see, thats what must have happened, the overlapping! i was very surprised by how effective they happen to be. never really used them in this manner (and generally do not like M2TW pikes). i seem to recall now there was a video that showcased the pikes effectiveness when overlapped/double deployed but that was in the field iirc. but yeah, it seems in the sieges this happens naturally once you right click them due to limited space. they truly are the tanks in such circumstances. will bear that in mind, thanks

  19. #119

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Another job well done!

    But one thing that makes me really curious for a potential R4 is how easily the Saka accepted peace and you got money out of them as well. They are usually an absolute the pain in the for any faction to deal with as they have the usual MO of sending hordes down to the Fergana Valley and rarely made peace. Combined with the improved campaign movement, I could see Baktria's difficulty potentially go down from challenging to moderate.

    Looking forward to the time where she enters the point of no return .
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu



  20. #120

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    you truly learn something new every day. in all those thousand hours i played EBII (and Med2 & its various mods) i have never happen to use pikes offensively in sieges. until now.

    episode 4/mission 4 of Baktria is up:
    Yeah pike are really good at securing the gates so long you don't attack boiling oil stone wall gate.

    Street fight however is a gamble 50/50 due to wonky ai pathfinding the enemy may decide to ignore the pike and storm to the middle of pike formation. This shinenigan destroyed half of my agema(240 -> 120)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •