Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 95 of 95

Thread: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

  1. #81
    Marvzilla's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North-Rhine Westphalia,Germany.
    Posts
    955

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    You can also turn them to slide only, meaning when you scroll the side of the screen where they normally are displayed they pop-up there. All of it in the UI menu.

    Two questions in regards to the awesome historical battles: 1. Is the terrain for the Battles handcrafted to suit the location of the battle and 2. Could you guys give your sources at the end of the description of each battle or would that be too much ? Id love to know where to get more information about them.

  2. #82

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    You can also turn them to slide only, meaning when you scroll the side of the screen where they normally are displayed they pop-up there. All of it in the UI menu.

    Two questions in regards to the awesome historical battles: 1. Is the terrain for the Battles handcrafted to suit the location of the battle and 2. Could you guys give your sources at the end of the description of each battle or would that be too much ? Id love to know where to get more information about them.
    thanks for the UI tips, will experiment with it next time i play.

    on sources, afaik it is Arjos that compiled the list for 'Events after Alexandros', so he would know better. off the top of my head, for primary, there is Diodotus and Arrian's 'Events after Alexander' (Photius' Excerpt). the latter is linked in the description in my videos. also there are secondary sources there that are useful in this regard.

  3. #83
    Marvzilla's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North-Rhine Westphalia,Germany.
    Posts
    955

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    thanks for the UI tips, will experiment with it next time i play.

    on sources, afaik it is Arjos that compiled the list for 'Events after Alexandros', so he would know better. off the top of my head, for primary, there is Diodotus and Arrian's 'Events after Alexander' (Photius' Excerpt). the latter is linked in the description in my videos. also there are secondary sources there that are useful in this regard.
    First off great work on your series covering the historical battles, love your commentary mate, its a shame the BAI isnt playing like intended, the MP recreation idea of battles sounds intriguing.

    And thanks for the heads up to look into the description under your videos. Though in regards to the Lamian and Diadochi Wars wouldnt the "Diadochi Wars" section on Livius be a more informing series of articles ?

  4. #84

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    First off great work on your series covering the historical battles, love your commentary mate, its a shame the BAI isnt playing like intended, the MP recreation idea of battles sounds intriguing.

    And thanks for the heads up to look into the description under your videos. Though in regards to the Lamian and Diadochi Wars wouldnt the "Diadochi Wars" section on Livius be a more informing series of articles ?
    i couldnt find the "Diadochi Wars" per se but you're right and this summary page may look better. it links only some parts of Arrian's Events after Alexander but contains Diodorus, Plutarch... it too isnt all-inclusive though as it doesnt mention Italian affairs etc included in EB, it seems?
    thanks, will update the link in the description

  5. #85
    Marvzilla's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North-Rhine Westphalia,Germany.
    Posts
    955

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    i couldnt find the "Diadochi Wars" per se but you're right and this summary page may look better. it links only some parts of Arrian's Events after Alexander but contains Diodorus, Plutarch... it too isnt all-inclusive though as it doesnt mention Italian affairs etc included in EB, it seems?
    thanks, will update the link in the description
    Yeah at times the primary sources are hyperlinked in the article, no its just about the Diadochi Wars.

  6. #86

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    moving on to Italy and Romans, Episode 8, Battle of Samnium, 322 BC:



    apologies but i forgot to try new UI. got so caught up with the RL stuff (kids being ill etc) that totally forgot about it! will try in the next episode.


    PS. thanks a lot to Roma and Rad for the tips on embedding a youtube link.

  7. #87
    tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,669

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Thanks for new chapters for After Alexander the Great series

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    Field of Glory is good fun, i was considering doing a playthrough with them. may do some in the future once their new game is out.
    If I remember correctly Field of Glory: Empires is developed by another team. I would really like to watch your playthrough for Field of Glory II. As for the FoG2 community content I can strongly recommend Paul59s scenarios/campaigns/mod (TT Mod). My favourite scenario is Battle of Panion 200 BC (I hope you will present this one on your channel ) and Antiochos the Great campaigns (two versions were created – short and long).

  8. #88

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Thanks for new chapters for After Alexander the Great series



    If I remember correctly Field of Glory: Empires is developed by another team. I would really like to watch your playthrough for Field of Glory II. As for the FoG2 community content I can strongly recommend Paul59s scenarios/campaigns/mod (TT Mod). My favourite scenario is Battle of Panion 200 BC (I hope you will present this one on your channel ) and Antiochos the Great campaigns (two versions were created short and long).
    thanks Tomy. FoG was suggested to me on my twitter as well, im just not sure if there is any audience for it. didnt know that Empires were developed by another team. hope that wouldnt negatively impact the game. really looking forward to it.
    and thanks for the tips on battle scenarios, will check it out whenever i get some free time.


    here is episode 9 of 'after Alexandros', the 1st battle of Kyrene:

  9. #89

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    episode 10, second battle of Kyrene:



    a couple of things i noticed while fighting these historical battles.
    1. some range units have skirmish mode disabled by default - Iranina spearmen-archers, Cretan archers. would be better having skirmish enabled as they tend to get engaged in melee almost instantaneously, given their positions up front and the very close deployment of the opposing forces.
    2. bodyguard units, and others too, arent consistent in their engage/disengage preferences. they switch between these and run off when they should be pressing the attack. oftentimes, and in this battle too, i win because there is no consistency from the AI and they disengage and take off into the field chasing shadows instead of pushing ahead when they have a decent chance of turning the tables. not sure anything can be done about it, might be one of those hardcoded things, but it really does make the already weak AI even less capable

    otherwise enjoying the series, a great informative prelude to the game.

  10. #90
    Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Nice feedback on the battle Sarkiss

    You can have the units cards also sliding but, at least for me, it works better if you have them permanent. Good to see one of your videos with the minimal ui, it improves a lot the quality!

  11. #91
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,371

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    As far as 1 goes, have a try of the new formation-labels in the dev build - it might address some of that since it's distinguising between "skirmishing" and "artillery" archers. Given changes to other unit labels, it might impact 2 as well.

  12. #92

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    As far as 1 goes, have a try of the new formation-labels in the dev build - it might address some of that since it's distinguising between "skirmishing" and "artillery" archers. Given changes to other unit labels, it might impact 2 as well.
    sadly, i never managed to get dev build to work. its good to hear some tweaks were made, though to be fair the issue isnt EB specific. i recall seeing the same behaviour in vanilla where unit would stop half way into the charge then turn around and retreat exposing its vulnerable rear to my fire.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Nice feedback on the battle Sarkiss

    You can have the units cards also sliding but, at least for me, it works better if you have them permanent. Good to see one of your videos with the minimal ui, it improves a lot the quality!
    thanks. the sliding takes some getting used to. i will probably keep radar on slide but enable the buttons on the top since that part of the screen isnt clickable anyway and it keeps popping out randomly whenever camera is moved forward, it seems.
    btw, aside from the UI's units, buttons and the radar options, there is another, forth control. any ideas what thats for? i forgot what its called but could never figure what it does (it offers the same show-hide-slide options).

  13. #93
    Marvzilla's Avatar Ducenarius
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North-Rhine Westphalia,Germany.
    Posts
    955

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Maybe its for the control panel of secondary armies ?

  14. #94
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,371

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Kretan Archers have skirmish mode on; not sure what happened there, could be due to placement.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Maybe its for the control panel of secondary armies ?
    that would make sense as there is nothing else there that i can think of.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Kretan Archers have skirmish mode on; not sure what happened there, could be due to placement.
    i see, thanks. they were in skirmish by default in this final battle of Kyrene:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •