Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

Default Re: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

How do you make it so that the unit march forward in the same formation you assembled them in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    How do you make it so that the unit march forward in the same formation you assembled them in?
    This is not rtw2 where they automaticly become straight line formation regardless what earlier formation you taking unless you use rtw2 pre set formation.

Once you finish with your formation in battle preparation just click all of them and march them forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlazaor View Post
    Just group them?

Otherwise:
    Ctrl+G and after: give orders by dragging (highlight group then mouse right-clicking and holding it move your group).

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    Yeah pike are really good at securing the gates so long you don't attack boiling oil stone wall gate.

Street fight however is a gamble 50/50 due to wonky ai pathfinding the enemy may decide to ignore the pike and storm to the middle of pike formation. This shinenigan destroyed half of my agema(240 -> 120)
    i had my pikes slaughtered when trying to hold the passes immediately next to the gate. doesnt work like in RTW and you better pull them back from the gate area which seems to be rather buggie. good point on the stone walls with boiling oil. i didnt think of that!

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Another job well done!

But one thing that makes me really curious for a potential R4 is how easily the Saka accepted peace and you got money out of them as well. They are usually an absolute the pain in the for any faction to deal with as they have the usual MO of sending hordes down to the Fergana Valley and rarely made peace. Combined with the improved campaign movement, I could see Baktria's difficulty potentially go down from challenging to moderate.

Looking forward to the time where she enters the point of no return .
    thanks, we are nearing that moment. with regards to Saka, I too was rather surprised. but the last thing i wanted was to chase them across the steppe and having to take over their miserable camps which Baktria cant convert iirc. so it turned out good.

see episode 5, where we 'go back' to complete the previous mission and deal with the Parthians:

next episode of Baktria campaign, and the gloves are off now:

Baktria!

Another well-done episode! But with just two little bits of constructive feedback. Firstly, you could have recruited a couple of those amazing Saka or Pointed Hat Riders from Alexandria Escate and Chach to make the inital seleucid attack easier to deal with. The other one being that for your Hellenistic Colonization, I would prefer to have built the military colonies first in Baktria before ANY new minor polis is placed elsewhere as any and all hope of getting any additional colonists after independence is dependent on Baktria getting to that sweet 69% HP required to build the Hellenistic metropolis.

Other than that, good work!

FYI: Since Bukhara is too far to effectively defend, when I played as Baktria, I sacked the place and demolished any structure of value before evacuating the region to concentrate my defenses against the Saka (After making sure that I have the colonists from the completed mission of course ).
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Another well-done episode! But with just two little bits of constructive feedback. Firstly, you could have recruited a couple of those amazing Saka or Pointed Hat Riders from Alexandria Escate and Chach to make the inital seleucid attack easier to deal with. The other one being that for your Hellenistic Colonization, I would prefer to have built the military colonies first in Baktria before ANY new minor polis is placed elsewhere as any and all hope of getting any additional colonists after independence is dependent on Baktria getting to that sweet 69% HP required to build the Hellenistic metropolis.

Other than that, good work!

FYI: Since Bukhara is too far to effectively defend, when I played as Baktria, I sacked the place and demolished any structure of value before evacuating the region to concentrate my defenses against the Saka (After making sure that I have the colonists from the completed mission of course ).
    by the military colonies do you meant the 'frontier settler towns' (thats how they called iirc?)? i didnt actually know that the latter also generates the colonists, and if so how effectively. thought it was the polis thats the main producer, hence rushing to build more. as for the cavalry, yes, they can be handy but im much more keen to get the cataphracts, which i cannot seem to find anywhere, no matter the govt type

i would probably do the same with Bukhara if under pressure, but both Saka and Parthia were very eager to sue for peace (playing on H/H) so i could just settle and develop the place at my leisure.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    by the military colonies do you meant the 'frontier settler towns' (thats how they called iirc?)? i didnt actually know that the latter also generates the colonists, and if so how effectively. thought it was the polis thats the main producer, hence rushing to build more. as for the cavalry, yes, they can be handy but im much more keen to get the cataphracts, which i cannot seem to find anywhere, no matter the govt type

i would probably do the same with Bukhara if under pressure, but both Saka and Parthia were very eager to sue for peace (playing on H/H) so i could just settle and develop the place at my leisure.

thanks
    Yes, I ment frontier settler towns, they do not generate colonists (The polis is the main producer of them (one produced every 16 turns for a trio of hellenistic polises (lvl 2 polis) or one hellenistic metropolis (lvl 3 polis))) but they provide both hellenistic professional recruitment and more importantly, they convert the province they reside in to Hellenistic Polities (Baktria's culture), with said conversion needed to reach the 69% needed to build metropolis in Baktria (Upgrading them increases the conversion cap to 30% - 50% - 70% (Reformed Colony for Baktria and that particular one will have to wait until at least turn 200 )).

As for Hellenistic Cataphracts, they are only avaliable after the Thorakirtai reforms (At least turn 200). Additionally, you need a Basilike Patris government to get them (Avaliable after making good on the proclamation of : Freedom or death! and having 'Basileos of all Asia' wave the white flag).
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Yes, I ment frontier settler towns, they do not generate colonists (The polis is the main producer of them (one produced every 16 turns for a trio of hellenistic polises (lvl 2 polis) or one hellenistic metropolis (lvl 3 polis))) but they provide both hellenistic professional recruitment and more importantly, they convert the province they reside in to Hellenistic Polities (Baktria's culture), with said conversion needed to reach the 69% needed to build metropolis in Baktria (Upgrading them increases the conversion cap to 30% - 50% - 70% (Reformed Colony for Baktria and that particular one will have to wait until at least turn 200 )).

As for Hellenistic Cataphracts, they are only avaliable after the Thorakirtai reforms (At least turn 200). Additionally, you need a Basilike Patris government to get them (Avaliable after making good on the proclamation of : Freedom or death! and having 'Basileos of all Asia' wave the white flag).
    oh i see, its the culture conversion that you meant. i didnt bother with that, not yet. i think Baktria produces enough Hellenistic units and i just strife to expand that to other cities (for now).

thanks for the tip on the catas. will have to wait for the reform etc. hoped to be able to find the native ones in one of those steppe bordering settlements but cant see any.

going on the offensive in the latest episode of Baktrian campaign:

we are getting there!

the final episode of Baktrian adventures, "Forgiveness?"

So, is that the end of your Baktrian campaign? I played it recently and found the transition from allied to factional governments to be most challenging part of it as most of them had too low Hellenic culture. Arguably, I gained independence much later, only few turns before Thorakitai reforms, and started switching only after my governors started dying from old age, which gave the cities time to grow and thus become harder to handle, but still it should give you some challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    So, is that the end of your Baktrian campaign? I played it recently and found the transition from allied to factional governments to be most challenging part of it as most of them had too low Hellenic culture. Arguably, I gained independence much later, only few turns before Thorakitai reforms, and started switching only after my governors started dying from old age, which gave the cities time to grow and thus become harder to handle, but still it should give you some challenge.
    i think my independence event was timed pretty appropriately to circa 250, but i played off screen since uploading it and did the same thing as you with regards to client rulers leaving them and their govts in place until they die. the first one just died of old age and i started reforming the city and it yields 0 units under new govt type. that isnt a biggie though, as i expanded into India once they attacked me and now control a massive empire fielding 4 full stacks field armies ready to claim Arabia, Persia and Mesopotamia. was a bit disappointed that there is no elephants anywhere in India with native admin. the only settlement where elephants are available (Indian armoured type) is Baktria itself. i guess allied states in India would open up elephant recruitment?

Elephants are avaliable in the 2 indian satrapy provinces (Taxila and Patala) with Satrapeia and BP but the problem lies in the following:
    • Armored elephants are not avaliable for Baktria in either governments in the regions mentioned.
    • Baktria are unable to build BPs in either Indian settlements as the Polis 2 (Hellenistic Polis) needed cannot be built in India (Minor Polis is the best that can be built as there are geographical limitations in place (Check map of Hellenic Polises post in Gameplay and AAR trend))

The latter than leads to an Idea that I have been toying with for a bit, which is a government overhaul for the Baktrians that enables them to take full advantage of their surroundings, namely options to deal with the following:
    • More versitile options in India (Perhaps with an Indo-Hellenic type government with some conversion to Hellenic Polities and improved local recruitment that can take advantage of the Indo-Greek Guilds (This can better reflect the existance and governance of the Indo-Greek kingdom)).
    • Improved options for dealing with the nomadic invaders that plagued the Greco Bactrian Kingdom (Subject/Allied tribes but not as benefical as the KB versions to reflect Baktria's more hostile relations with said nomads).
    • The ability to commender existing Seleucid and Archemenid style administrations although not to the same extent as the former.

Perhaps the growing buddhist influence can be reflected in a traitline or two...the first human depictions of buddha were allegedly produced in the Hellenic Style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

All of this is mere conjecture at this moment as literature and findings are still relatively scant for both Greco-Bactrian and Indo-Greek kingdoms.

Anyways, @Sarkiss, great work on this playthrough!
    - Sun Tzu

Elephants are avaliable in the 2 indian satrapy provinces (Taxila and Patala) with Satrapeia and BP but the problem lies in the following:
    • Armored elephants are not avaliable for Baktria in either governments in the regions mentioned.
    • Baktria are unable to build BPs in either Indian settlements as the Polis 2 (Hellenistic Polis) needed cannot be built in India (Minor Polis is the best that can be built as there are geographical limitations in place (Check map of Hellenic Polises post in Gameplay and AAR trend))

The latter than leads to an Idea that I have been toying with for a bit, which is a government overhaul for the Baktrians that enables them to take full advantage of their surroundings, namely options to deal with the following:
    • More versitile options in India (Perhaps with an Indo-Hellenic type government with some conversion to Hellenic Polities and improved local recruitment that can take advantage of the Indo-Greek Guilds (This can better reflect the existance and governance of the Indo-Greek kingdom)).
    • Improved options for dealing with the nomadic invaders that plagued the Greco Bactrian Kingdom (Subject/Allied tribes but not as benefical as the KB versions to reflect Baktria's more hostile relations with said nomads).
    • The ability to commender existing Seleucid and Archemenid style administrations although not to the same extent as the former.

Perhaps the growing buddhist influence can be reflected in a traitline or two...the first human depictions of buddha were allegedly produced in the Hellenic Style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

All of this is mere conjecture at this moment as literature and findings are still relatively scant for both Greco-Bactrian and Indo-Greek kingdoms.

Anyways, @Sarkiss, great work on this playthrough!
    i cannot really justify current extremely restrictive arrangement, especially when it comes to neighboring powers such as Baktria, which curiously enough can have them recruited (and cataphract elephants at that) in home province but not anywhere else. it is rather disappointing, really, and im not exclusively concerned with Baktria but any invading power. gaining access to indian elephants is what makes invasion of india a unique and rewarding experience. its half the fun. any serious ruler in the area would have had access to them, Seleukos and Antiochus came out with elephants in tow etc. so both historically and gameplay wise, they have to be available, at least the more basic unarmored type, with the advanced levels of regional govt imho.

after all these years playing EBII, highlights from my first ever (and long overdue!) Roman campaign.

CAMPAIGN HIGHLIGHTS: Europa Barbarorum II, SPQR - Carthago delenda est!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567