Thread: Writers' Study 2018 - Awards Ceremony Feast!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Writers' Study 2018 - Awards Ceremony Feast!

Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018
    The Awards Ceremony Feast

Ever since the end of October, the famed Ink Caves of the Writers' Study have been filled with even more work (and imps) than usual. Once again, the Yearly Awards are taking place, and the special ink used for inscribing the awards must be carefully prepared.

Above ground, the Writers' Study Dining Hall gleams brightly, both from the many, many candles and also from the enthusiastic application of polish by the imps. They consider the highly-polished carpets to be a particular success, although Alwyn has insisted that warning signs be placed at strategic intervals, and some slightly less slippery rugs have been added to the Hall at the last minute, in an attempt to enhance the safety of the guests at this celebration.

The Hall is filled with round tables, each surrounded by guests chatting happily. At one end of the room there is a long table, at which the Writers' Study staff are seated, with the Director, in full Content Director regalia (this year with new red embroidery entwined around the Content blue and Director's gold) in the central position.

A small dark-blue head peers out from a door not far from the top table and nods vigorously to the Writers' Study staff. A moment later, Caillagh de Bodemloze, trying (and failing, as usual) to look dignified in the official Writers' Study gown and silly hat, rises brandishing a sheaf of notes, and speaks:

Director, writers, readers, my fellow Writers' Study staff and Writers' Study imps, welcome to the Writers' Study Yearly Awards Feast!

At this signal, a swarm of imps appear from doors at the side of the Dining Hall, bearing trays of plates and bowls. There is, as you would expect, some confusion. Some of the soup has been served on plates, and one or two of the salads appear to have been mistakenly cooked, but eventually everyone has food of some sort. Happily, there is plenty to drink, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. As everyone begins to eat, Caillagh continues.

We had many nominees in this year's competition, which has given us an exciting and memorable contest. In the end, however, the ties were all broken, and so we can now announce this year's winners!

We begin the presentations with our awards for Creative Writing of the Year.

In third place this year is a collection of warm, engaging stories about family life - and cats. Congratulations to NorseThing, who has taken third place with Cat Tails. NorseThing receives 2 Writers' Study competition points, giving him a total of 11.

In second place is an atmospheric tale of espionage and the approach of war. Our second-place winner is Basileos Leandros I's Swords Made of Letters. The award for second place is 3 WS competition points, so Basileos Leandros I now has 9 points.

The winner in this category is another excellent piece of writing. It is another work in which war, politics and interesting characters feature, but this time set in a fantasy universe. Many congratulations to Admiral Van Tromp, whose Words of the Forgotten is our Creative Writing of the Year 2018! His prize is 4 WS competition points, which means he now has 17.

Caillagh takes a large and impressive scroll from the table, and gives this to an imp waiting by the top table. The imp bows to Caillagh, and Caillagh bows in reply, and then the imp paces grandly to Admiral Van Tromp, bows again, and offers the scroll to the admiral.

The imps have been busy throughout Caillagh's announcement and the presentation, and they are now bringing out plates and dishes heaped with food of all kinds - roast ham, enormous whole fish, great bowls of rice and platters filled with potatoes, stews of various kinds from around the world, pies, endless varieties of vegetable - the procession of imps seems never-ending. Each of the tables is supplied with an apparently random assortment of items for people to help themselves to while Caillagh, who is beginning to look at the food hungrily, continues to speak.

Our next award is that for Best Newcomer. This year, the award goes to someone who has been active all across the Writers' Study. He has written both an AAR and his own Creative Writing, he has contributed to m_1512's Genesis of Empires, and he has also commented on the writing of other people. He has participated in the MAARC and the MCWC, and has entered (and won) Tale of the Week. There is absolutely no doubt that the award for Best Newcomer is very thoroughly deserved by this year's winner - Kilo11! As a category winner, Kilo11 receives 4 competition points, so he now has 17 in total.

Caillagh hands a second impressive scroll to an imp. Once again, Caillagh and the imp bow to each other, and then the imp very solemnly processes across the Hall to Kilo11's table, where he presents the scroll to Kilo11 with another bow.

Fights seem to be breaking out at some of the tables - particularly the one where the imps are sitting. It looks as though some people are refusing to share their favourite foods, and other people are objecting somewhat vigorously. Turkafinwë - looking very elegant in his Writers' Study gown embroided with blue quills and scrolls - strides determinedly over to the table and removes the dish of food that is causing the argument. On his return to the top table, Alwyn nods his approval and helps himself to the food Turkafinwë has brought with him.

Last, but not least, we come to AAR of the Year Award. This year, this was a hard-fought category, with 14 nominees.

In third place is an AAR set in the world of the crusaders, and told mostly from the point of view of a young prince. It has intrigue, and espionage, and - unsurprisingly for a Total War AAR - war. It is God's Justice by Swaeft. Swaeft receives 2 WS competition points, giving him a total of 6 points and a new bronze Writers' Study competition medal.

Our second-place AAR is the dramatic tale of a curse - and of a great warrior - and of a chariot. It can only be The Last Chariots of the Tarquins by Skotos of Sinope. This gives Skotos 3 Writers' Study competition points, meaning that he has 5 in total.

Caillagh's announcement is interrupted by the clattering of plates as the imps clear away the remains of the main course and bring out the desserts. The imps in the kitchen appear to feel that they have solved the problem of people arguing over different dishes - this time they have put a small amount of every kind of dessert into every single bowl. There is cake, and trifle, and rice pudding, and fruit, and apple pie, and what looks like some kind of suet pudding, all mixed together. The imps - clearly proud of their diplomatic genius - distribute these to everyone, place large jugs of cream and custard on each table, and then vanish back to the kitchen, chittering happily.

As Caillagh makes the final announcement, the imps reappear to pour tea and coffee for those who want it.

This year's AAR of the Year is the story of a faction. It tells us of the unstoppable rise of Carthage against enormous odds, and of the great leaders who made that rise possible. Congratulations to Alwyn, who has won with New Town. Alwyn receives 4 WS competition points, giving him a total of 25, which means he has earned a gold Writers' Study competition medal.

Caillagh reaches for the final scroll, and clearly panics, for there is no third scroll on the table. As Caillagh looks around to see where it might be, an imp approaches and signals an offer of help by expressive ear-twitching. Caillagh nods in agreement, and the imp scuttles away to the kitchen, returning a moment later with the largest mug of coffee Caillagh has ever seen. Then the ritual can continue. Caillagh and the imp bow to one another - very carefully, so as not to spill the coffee. Caillagh gives the coffee to the imp. The imp gravely turns to Alwyn, bows, and hands over one of Alwyn's favourite things - a large cup of coffee.

Congratulations to everyone who was nominated, and thank you to everyone who made a nomination or voted. Special congratulations, of course, to our winners!

Everyone is very welcome to post congratulations to our winners either here or on the article version of this post, which can be found here.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; December 09, 2018 at 06:18 AM.

Default Re: Writers' Study 2018 - Awards Ceremony Feast!

Congratulations, everyone!

Thank you to everyone who voted, and of course to the staff for all their work with the awards!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Congratulations to all nominees and other winners, I enjoyed reading all your stories and highly recommend them!

Thanks to everyone who nominated and voted, and thanks to Caillagh for running the Yearly Awards!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Congratulations are in order for the nominees and of course the winners of this year's Yearly Awards!

I would, also, like to extend my gratitude to everyone, that being the nominees, voters and last but not least Caillagh. It was a interesting and at times nailbiting, experience this year with so many good submissions.

Huge thanks to Caillagh for running the Yearly Awards!

That was a nice dinner! And the imps even managed to bring me fajitas (after some minutes of mad gesticulation and slightly haphazard charades).

I was also very happy to see the work of Skotos of Sinope placing so highly. His AAR (The Last Chariots of the Tarquins) is a somewhat newer one, and he was being coy for a bit about submitting things. But his work will shine for at least a year still to come (though I expect we will see things from him for far longer)!

To all the other writers and readers, both old and new, many thanks for making it a memorable and exciting competition season! It's been a month to remember!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Caillagh, that post deserves an award in and of itself. Bravo, sir.

I'm over the moon! What a great list of winners. (Except for that Ben-Hur rip off by what's-his-name.) But I think in the span of a day my ego has grown by five points.

Kilo, thanks for the kind words (It makes up for you messing up my master plan to drag my feet for as long as possible in entering the competitions. ) No one could have deserved best newcomer more. You don't just become a better writer with every new post, but with your comments, suggestions, and encouragement of others, you have helped up the collective quality of the entire Writer's Study. Won't be long before you make gold, bud. Speaking of gold....Alwyn, now it's our turn to say congratulations. I'm so happy about New Town. Not just because it's a veritable AARmarillion in its scope and ambition, but also because it's great to see our Rome II AARs get some love. So much quality coming out of the Medieval II sub-forum, it's easy for some stuff to fall through the cracks, though there was never any danger in that happening to New Town. It caught on like wildfire. Swaeft, proud to have cast a vote for God's Justice. And I need to get caught up on it and start posting in the thread. I've sadly neglected reading the Creative Writing section of the forum, but I'm going to be correcting that soon, starting with the Admiral and the rest of the winners.

I'm humbled to have even made the nominations list, let alone be in the AAR top three. Congrats everyone!

::stoically leaves the podium with tear-filled eyes and a quiet dignity, then comically slips on the highly polished floor::

Congratulations! Well done everyone

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Ladies and gentlemen, congratulations on your nominations and your prizes!

To all of us who scribble - let us pick up the quill once more and enchant our readers even better next year!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Wow, what a post! Is it bad that I'm reading the imp sections with more delight than the actual results?

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    The Hall is filled with round tables, each surrounded by guests chatting happily. At one end of the room there is a long table, at which the Writers' Study staff are seated, with the Director, in full Content Director regalia (this year with new red embroidery entwined around the Content blue and Director's gold) in the central position.

A small dark-blue head peers out from a door not far from the top table and nods vigorously to the Writers' Study staff. A moment later, Caillagh de Bodemloze, trying (and failing, as usual) to look dignified in the official Writers' Study gown and silly hat, rises brandishing a sheaf of notes, and speaks:
    This gives me such a Harry Potter vibe, it's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Fights seem to be breaking out at some of the tables - particularly the one where the imps are sitting. It looks as though some people are refusing to share their favourite foods, and other people are objecting somewhat vigorously. Turkafinwë - looking very elegant in his Writers' Study gown embroided with blue quills and scrolls - strides determinedly over to the table and removes the dish of food that is causing the argument. On his return to the top table, Alwyn nods his approval and helps himself to the food Turkafinwë has brought with him.
    This is pretty hilarious, I like to think that Alwyn was actually just hungry and asked Turk to grab him a plate he wanted with the distraction as an excuse Kind of reminds me of my school teachers, whenever they confiscate something they usually use it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Skotos of Sinope View Post
    Caillagh, that post deserves an award in and of itself. Bravo, sir.
    Indeed it does, Skotos! Well written and with great humour! Congratulations to you for winning two competitions in a month! Great work Thank you kindly for the vote, and please do not feel pressured to get caught up in my AAR, you'll have plenty of time! Besides, doing so might just force me to pop over to the Rome 2 side early than expected... And to you as well, Alwyn! A very pretty gold medal you have there indeed, wholly deserved, bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, congratulations on your nominations and your prizes!

To all of us who scribble - let us pick up the quill once more and enchant our readers even better next year!
    A very noble sentiment, one that I concur with wholeheartedly. Recognition and fame does much to inspire writers to continue with their efforts.

I am very humbled to have obtained the third placing for AAROTY. It's been an honour having a tie break against you, Turkafinwe, you were definitely a most worthy opponent! To all who voted for me, please accept my deepest thanks and take a promise that I will continue this effort, both in the Med 2 section and soon, the Non TW section. Congratulations to all winners, and a big thanks to the WS Staff who made this possible. The rep train has left the Swaeft station!

*walks down stage with a big grin on my face...and slips on Skotos' pool of tears* Damnit Skotos!!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Late to the party. I just am now on the internet after a great delay of a water damaged laptop that sadly needed to be replaced. Thanks to all who voted and a very special thanks to all who submitted to the Writers Study over this year. I look forward to more great submissions from all members in the coming year. Now to catch up on what I have missed over the past month!