Thread: [Amendment] Rename Curator to Consul

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Default [Amendment] Rename Curator to Consul

What?

Rename the position of Curator to Consul.

Why?

To add prestige, to reinforce the idea of the position being the leader of the Curia, to be more in line with the Roman theme of the Curia. In other words, to sex up the role.
    Last edited by Katsumoto; December 07, 2018 at 04:08 AM.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: [Amendment] Rename Curator to Consul

A simple enough change, why not. Support
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

As much as I still love all the Roman style stuff, I'm not sure how it's too necessary for any reason beyond it sounds cooler. Plus I'd also like to see it more historically accurate like Pike's thing with two Consuls

Moderator Emeritus

It's very necessary - we have neither a museum nor a gallery yet somehow we have a Curator!
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    As much as I still love all the Roman style stuff, I'm not sure how it's too necessary for any reason beyond it sounds cooler. Plus I'd also like to see it more historically accurate like Pike's thing with two Consuls
    Let's be fair, the two Consules thing was Aik's and Brewster's idea to begin with, sparked by their close run for the Curatorship. There would be merit in a simple proposal just adding a second Consul/Curator without all the stuff Pike added in his version until it choked on the regulations, but I'd wait with that until we have a decision on your major overhaul proposal. It is not good to run unrelated but overlapping change proposals.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I would hope that should my proposal pass, there should not be much need for two Curators/Consuls, though I would maybe get behind the idea solely for the idea of being able to have two people there to be consistently learning the job and helping each other with it, it feels like that isn't something the Curator's office will benefit from as much until much further down the road with some other Curial overhaul.

I know this is a simple name change though, which is fine, I'll neither support nor oppose for now.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Opposed. Curator simply means caretaker. It isn't specific to museums, and it was a term used in Roman times. Consul might better reflect the duties the Curator does, but I'm not in favor of changing it just to change the name. If it was combined with a broader reform of the office or the Curia at large it might make more sense.

Moderator Emeritus

Aye, that was a joke, but as you say, Consul does more accurately reflect the duties of the Curator, even without a broader reform.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Let's be fair, the two Consules thing was Aik's and Brewster's idea to begin with, sparked by their close run for the Curatorship. There would be merit in a simple proposal just adding a second Consul/Curator without all the stuff Pike added in his version until it choked on the regulations, but I'd wait with that until we have a decision on your major overhaul proposal. It is not good to run unrelated but overlapping change proposals.
    Agreed. But that's not enough for me to support this change. Opposed.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Bernard, Bernard, don't put yourself in the corner here. You were pretty equal too.

I obviously support

What a bunch of hogwash. No one proposed two consuls until I have and Aik mentioned in the actual thread that he and Brewster were sort of doing that.

The Dual Consulship proposal seems so simple now compared to the proposal we now have.

I see no reason to delay anything,... the name of the Curator is not an issue in the other proposal.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

support
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks all. Move to vote?

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Support.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

Vote passes 12-5-3