Thread: Regarding creating separate steam library for installation

Icon9 Regarding creating separate steam library for installation

Hi, I have a question regarding creating separate steam library.

It won't allow me to create a separate steam library in the same drive. So what are my options now? Do I have to partition my c drive?

I also checked online and realize there might be a solution to move the files manually? But I found different versions of the method and don't know which one is right...

And I have played 2.3 without moving directory and have only experienced rare crashes, usually only crashing in main menu. So how necessary is moving the files

Default Re: Regarding creating separate steam library for installation

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    Hi, I have a question regarding creating separate steam library
    I regret not being able to help you sooner; I hope this is still relevant to you and that you have not partitioned your drive.

The Steam client UI does not allow us to create parallel install folders for some reason, but you can create one manually and add it to the libraryfolders.vdf, which should be located in your "steamapps" folder. It should look something like this once you are done:

"LibraryFolders"
    {
    "TimeNextStatsReport" "bunch of numbers here"
    "ContentStatsID" "another bunch of numbers"
    "1" "C:\\Program Files (x86)"
    "2" "C:\\SteamLibrary"
    }

So the first two rows inside the curly brackets are specific to your installation, and you should not touch them. The number two is the new folder that you just created (here: C:\\SteamLibrary). If that does not work for you, we'll help you further.

EDIT: You will most likely have to restart the Steam desktop client to make it recognize the folder.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; December 06, 2018 at 04:48 PM.

This worked and I am moving my files now. Thank you so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post

EDIT: You will most likely have to restart the Steam desktop client to make it recognize the folder.
    Thank you for the help, I guess one last question regarding system:

In the Installation thread, under specific O/S Mandatory part, for Windows 10, second step I need to
    " Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)."

but I found it supports up to DirectX9 and mine is already DirectX12. Do I still have to grab that end user runtimes?

I can't add any Rep to Septentrionalis, which is annoying, but thank you.

We don't have any unnecessary steps in our installation instructions, everything is there because we've learned through bitter experience that it is necessary to ensure the smoothest possible game.

but I found it supports up to DirectX9 and mine is already DirectX12. Do I still have to grab that end user runtimes?
    Please someone correct me if needed, but having newer DirectX than needed should not be a problem. It has never caused me an issue with any game, and I am also running EB2 perfectly on Windows 10 with all the latest stuff. So follow the installation instructions and you should be fine.

Okay all questions answered, not enough words can express my thanks!
    Last edited by tentaku; December 07, 2018 at 05:22 PM.

Civis

I regret not being able to help you sooner; I hope this is still relevant to you and that you have not partitioned your drive.

The Steam client UI does not allow us to create parallel install folders for some reason, but you can create one manually and add it to the libraryfolders.vdf, which should be located in your "steamapps" folder. It should look something like this once you are done:

"LibraryFolders"
    {
    "TimeNextStatsReport" "bunch of numbers here"
    "ContentStatsID" "another bunch of numbers"
    }

So the first two rows inside the curly brackets are specific to your installation, and you should not touch them. The number two is the new folder that you just created (here: C:\\SteamLibrary). If that does not work for you, we'll help you further.

I wish I knew this earlier...spent near 2 hours trying to get my virtual drive to stick. I hope this info gets included in the official install instructions.
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

Hi, I'm quite new to all of this but basically how do I go about doing this? I found the libraryfodlers.vdf , do I do anything with it? Do I need to create a folder titled "SteamLibrary" in my SteamApps? I just need to install M2TW into a separate library, I have spent hours messing around with this. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorovka View Post
    Hi, I'm quite new to all of this but basically how do I go about doing this? I found the libraryfodlers.vdf , do I do anything with it? Do I need to create a folder titled "SteamLibrary" in my SteamApps? I just need to install M2TW into a separate library, I have spent hours messing around with this. Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the community! You must first create a folder. It can be anywhere and be called anything, but I recommend putting it to your root folder (C:\\ presumably). The next thing you do is make a backup copy of your libraryfolders.vdf file to make sure you have something to roll back to in case things get messy. Then just open the file for editing in a word processor; Windows' own WordPad should do fine. In there you specify a new line with the address and the folder name like in the examples above. In my example the folder was located in root ( C: ) and was called SteamLibrary; hence the line reads

Please let me know if you need more pointers!

I already got it before you replied, but thank you very much! It was an issue of the formatting of the edit within the libraryvdf folder. I got it now!

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    I wish I knew this earlier...spent near 2 hours trying to get my virtual drive to stick. I hope this info gets included in the official install instructions.
    @QuintusSertorius

Since the issue apparently affects new EBII players regularly, do you think that we could do as OJ33DA suggests and add it to the installation instructions? I cannot imagine the fix infringing on Steam's user agreement in any way.

@QuintusSertorius

Since the issue apparently affects new EBII players regularly, do you think that we could do as OJ33DA suggests and add it to the installation instructions? I cannot imagine the fix infringing on Steam's user agreement in any way.
    I also saw similar questions pop up on youtube instruction videos on how to install eb2, and tried to direct them to this post.

I also saw similar questions pop up on youtube instruction videos on how to install eb2, and tried to direct them to this post.
    Thank you, Tentaku! Now if we could somehow get QS's attention to the issue and extract an answer concerning the official instruction. Perhaps I need to send a private message.

QuintusSertorius instructed me to produce a neat version of the instruction to be added to the documentation. It is the following post. Please link to it or include (edit if necessary) as such in the documentation text.

If you do not have another hard drive or partition besides C: or would prefer to have your installation on C: for any reason, you need to do the following, as Steam Client UI does not present the option of creating two Steam folders on a single drive:

Go to your \steamapps\ folder (which is likely to be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps) and locate the file libraryfolders.vdf. Make a backup copy of the file for the event that something goes wrong and you have to revert to the original configuration. Then open the file in a text editor of your choice. It should look something like this:

"LibraryFolders"
    {
    "TimeNextStatsReport" "numbers specific to your steam installation; do not edit"
    "ContentStatsID" "numbers specific to your steam installation; do not edit"
    }

You need to create the new folder that you want to have your game installations in and add a corresponding line to the text file as shown below (here assuming that the new location is C:\\SteamLibrary):

"LibraryFolders"
    {
    "TimeNextStatsReport" "numbers specific to your steam installation; do not edit"
    "ContentStatsID" "numbers specific to your steam installation; do not edit"
    }

Restart your Steam desktop client for the changes to take effect.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; January 29, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Moving my M2 installation is a problem for me since I have several others mods I like to play as well, but I also donīt have the mod installed in the usual place. My question is why does it need to be different than the standard, does it have to do with folder path lengths?

hooahguy14's Avatar Ducenarius

Figured I could comment on this instead of making a new thread. So I followed these instructions exactly, yet when I try to install M2TW to the folder, I get a disk write error. An ideas how to fix? Im on Windows 10. I think it might have to do with the new folder being read-only but no matter how often I set it to not be, it jus reverts back to read-only.
    Last edited by hooahguy14; October 09, 2020 at 03:32 PM.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: A Rome II Suebi AAR
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy14 View Post
    So I followed these instructions exactly, yet when I try to install M2TW to the folder, I get a disk write error. An ideas how to fix?
    Too bad I have been off the forum for a while. Did you manage to make it work already? If you did, please post the solution here as well to help the next fellow gamer down the line.

To me that sounds like something that might be detailed here. Quite possibly you ran into the same article while doing your own research:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-...-error-4687188