Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: What's a wife good for?

  1. #1

    Default What's a wife good for?

    Not that kind of question...

    Pre-Desert Kingdoms, they rendered a bonus or penalty and functioned as meat shields, but now it looks complicated...

    Any guides on marriage?

    Looking at the household slot, I see the bonus, but examining the character, I see a column of red numbered penalties, so do these affect me or only when she's a general - don't have to worry about it, as I play Hellenic factions?

  2. #2

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    Not that kind of question...

    Pre-Desert Kingdoms, they rendered a bonus or penalty and functioned as meat shields, but now it looks complicated...

    Any guides on marriage?

    Looking at the household slot, I see the bonus, but examining the character, I see a column of red numbered penalties, so do these affect me or only when she's a general - don't have to worry about it, as I play Hellenic factions?

    I see you you only see wife as waste of space...
    1. They keep other faction in checked by marrying the other faction and produce their children into your family fold which is technically in your family tree

    2. Abusing other faction or just straight up having affair to keep them loyal

    3. Again keep producing heir for your family tree and other faction

  3. #3

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by quachandy99 View Post
    I see you you only see wife as waste of space...
    1. They keep other faction in checked by marrying the other faction and produce their children into your family fold which is technically in your family tree

    2. Abusing other faction or just straight up having affair to keep them loyal

    3. Again keep producing heir for your family tree and other faction
    You misunderstood what I asked...

  4. #4
    ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    Looking at the household slot, I see the bonus, but examining the character, I see a column of red numbered penalties, so do these affect me or only when she's a general - don't have to worry about it, as I play Hellenic factions?
    Yes, these penalties do affect your male characters.

  5. #5
    Nordling's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Beatiful thread title! Women only make men's lives miserable...
    They are unleashed on us surely just to torment us!



    (Just kidding)

  6. #6
    Jake Armitage's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    apartment 6
    Posts
    3,395

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  7. #7
    ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?



    ...that was a very straightforward answer, Jake! Next time attach some alert to it so that I know I'm not supposed to view this while at work...

    On another note, I guess that fresco comes actually from a brothel, right? Nothing to do with a decent wife then.

    Plus, for that particular form of entertainment one would need more than just a wife, I reckon...

  8. #8
    Jake Armitage's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    apartment 6
    Posts
    3,395

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    dunno, found on a facebook post a couple of hours ago, maybe is not even roman, maybe is medieval/renaissance, can't say.

    i was wondering too what the other guy is doing, hope he's just waiting for his turn...
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; December 04, 2018 at 06:09 AM.

  9. #9
    Nordling's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Weeeell, you dont exactly need a wife for that

  10. #10

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Yes, these penalties do affect your male characters.
    So a penalty, like -5% to offensive battles,+1 to empire maintenance or +2 upkeep costs affects the husband, even though the wife isn't a general or a politician? I understand the stuff that's in the household section affects the character, positively or negatively, but also the stats associated with her character? Other than heirs, I just don't see any point in getting your faction's general hitched, as there's too much emotional baggage.
    Last edited by Condottiero Magno; December 04, 2018 at 09:09 AM.

  11. #11
    ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    So a penalty, like -5% to offensive battles and +1 to empire maintenance affects the husband, even though the wife isn't a general or a politician? I understand the stuff that's in the household section affects the character, positively or negatively...
    Yes, that's correct. All these bonuses and penalties that you see in the spouse slot of your married male characters do affect them regardless of the wife's occupation. Some of them only take effect once they serve as generals (-5% to offensive battles), while others are valid also while they serve as politicians (empire maintenance), I believe. That's the same for married female characters. In the spouse slot you may check what sort of husband she has and what sort of bonuses/penalties are associated with it.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Yes, that's correct. All these bonuses and penalties that you see in the spouse slot of your married male characters do affect them regardless of the wife's occupation. Some of them only take effect once they serve as generals (-5% to offensive battles), while others are valid also while they serve as politicians (empire maintenance), I believe. That's the same for married female characters. In the spouse slot you may check what sort of husband she has and what sort of bonuses/penalties are associated with it.
    My mistake and I wish I had a screenshot for clarity...

    I don't mean the bonuses/penalties in the spousal slot, but the info listed on the character's page.

    On a related note, why do all the women look generic and surly?
    Last edited by Condottiero Magno; December 04, 2018 at 09:27 AM.

  13. #13
    ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    My mistake and I wish I had a screenshot for clarity...

    I don't mean the bonuses/penalties in the spousal slot, but the info listed on the character's page.
    No, these are individual traits that do not have any effect on the spouse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    On a related note, why do all the women look generic and surly?
    Well, that's how CA made them, so better ask them...

  14. #14

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    dunno, found on a facebook post a couple of hours ago, maybe is not even roman, maybe is medieval/renaissance, can't say.

    i was wondering too what the other guy is doing, hope he's just waiting for his turn...
    It's from a Roman "suburban" bathhouse, not a brothel as was originally assumed...

    Depending on the context, whether the setting or the theme in the imagery depicted, these types of frescoes could either be from a brothel or adornment on the walls of parts of middle class/upper class homes. The Romans frowned on public nudity, but didn't mind these depictions in art to a point, as the salacious gender bending versions also functioned as a means of warding off the evil eye, just like phalli carved or sculpted on crossroads and carried as good luck charms, like crucifixes - imagine Van Helsing smiting Dracula with an iron cock...

    According to John Clarke's Roman Sex https://www.amazon.com/Roman-Sex-100.../dp/0810942631, the man in the middle is a cinaedus, looked down upon for his passivity by "macho" men, but found alluring by women.


    Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    No, these are individual traits that do not have any effect on the spouse.


    Thanks for clarifying and should've said individual traits from the beginning...

    Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Well, that's how CA made them, so better ask them...
    Since the DEI folks enhanced the unit cards, I'd have thought they'd be scouring publications for reference material...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 17, 2019 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

  15. #15
    ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    Thanks for clarifying and should've said individual traits from the beginning...
    No problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    Since the DEI folks enhanced the unit cards, I'd have thought they'd be scouring publications for reference material...
    Yes, the unit cards have been redone, but only for the military units. These portraits you are referring to are vanilla. I think there are some submods, though, that change them if you are interested.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    .....Well, that's how CA made them, so better ask them...
    Hang on - I assumed all those pictures were part of the Mod?

    For they're all actresses - I recognise most of them!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

    RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

  17. #17
    Civis
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    I hear they are helpful with forging witches of the sand....
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

  18. #18

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    It occurred to me: why aren't there any marriages between factions and states? Massalia was supposedly founded after the Phocean Protis or Euxenes married the Ligurian Gyptis and then there were the marriages between the families of the various Successor Kingdoms.

  19. #19

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    You can do that with female generals, but it’s still pretty rare as it can only be between faction leaders. I play female generals for barbarians only and have done it once recently.

  20. #20

    Default Re: What's a wife good for?

    You can marry faction leaders of other factions.

    ----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •