Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a wife good for?

Default What's a wife good for?

Not that kind of question...

Pre-Desert Kingdoms, they rendered a bonus or penalty and functioned as meat shields, but now it looks complicated...

Any guides on marriage?

Looking at the household slot, I see the bonus, but examining the character, I see a column of red numbered penalties, so do these affect me or only when she's a general - don't have to worry about it, as I play Hellenic factions?

Default Re: What's a wife good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiero Magno View Post
    Not that kind of question...

Pre-Desert Kingdoms, they rendered a bonus or penalty and functioned as meat shields, but now it looks complicated...

Any guides on marriage?

Looking at the household slot, I see the bonus, but examining the character, I see a column of red numbered penalties, so do these affect me or only when she's a general - don't have to worry about it, as I play Hellenic factions?

I see you you only see wife as waste of space...
    1. They keep other faction in checked by marrying the other faction and produce their children into your family fold which is technically in your family tree

2. Abusing other faction or just straight up having affair to keep them loyal

3. Again keep producing heir for your family tree and other faction

Quote Originally Posted by quachandy99 View Post
    I see you you only see wife as waste of space...
    1. They keep other faction in checked by marrying the other faction and produce their children into your family fold which is technically in your family tree

2. Abusing other faction or just straight up having affair to keep them loyal

3. Again keep producing heir for your family tree and other faction
    You misunderstood what I asked...

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Yes, these penalties do affect your male characters.

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Beatiful thread title! Women only make men's lives miserable...
    They are unleashed on us surely just to torment us!

(Just kidding)

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

...that was a very straightforward answer, Jake! Next time attach some alert to it so that I know I'm not supposed to view this while at work...

On another note, I guess that fresco comes actually from a brothel, right? Nothing to do with a decent wife then.

Plus, for that particular form of entertainment one would need more than just a wife, I reckon...

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

dunno, found on a facebook post a couple of hours ago, maybe is not even roman, maybe is medieval/renaissance, can't say.

i was wondering too what the other guy is doing, hope he's just waiting for his turn...
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; December 04, 2018 at 05:09 AM.

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Weeeell, you dont exactly need a wife for that

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    Yes, these penalties do affect your male characters.
    So a penalty, like -5% to offensive battles,+1 to empire maintenance or +2 upkeep costs affects the husband, even though the wife isn't a general or a politician? I understand the stuff that's in the household section affects the character, positively or negatively, but also the stats associated with her character? Other than heirs, I just don't see any point in getting your faction's general hitched, as there's too much emotional baggage.
    Last edited by Condottiero Magno; December 04, 2018 at 08:09 AM.

So a penalty, like -5% to offensive battles and +1 to empire maintenance affects the husband, even though the wife isn't a general or a politician? I understand the stuff that's in the household section affects the character, positively or negatively...
    Yes, that's correct. All these bonuses and penalties that you see in the spouse slot of your married male characters do affect them regardless of the wife's occupation. Some of them only take effect once they serve as generals (-5% to offensive battles), while others are valid also while they serve as politicians (empire maintenance), I believe. That's the same for married female characters. In the spouse slot you may check what sort of husband she has and what sort of bonuses/penalties are associated with it.

Yes, that's correct. All these bonuses and penalties that you see in the spouse slot of your married male characters do affect them regardless of the wife's occupation. Some of them only take effect once they serve as generals (-5% to offensive battles), while others are valid also while they serve as politicians (empire maintenance), I believe. That's the same for married female characters. In the spouse slot you may check what sort of husband she has and what sort of bonuses/penalties are associated with it.
    My mistake and I wish I had a screenshot for clarity...

I don't mean the bonuses/penalties in the spousal slot, but the info listed on the character's page.

On a related note, why do all the women look generic and surly?
    Last edited by Condottiero Magno; December 04, 2018 at 08:27 AM.

My mistake and I wish I had a screenshot for clarity...

I don't mean the bonuses/penalties in the spousal slot, but the info listed on the character's page.
    No, these are individual traits that do not have any effect on the spouse.

On a related note, why do all the women look generic and surly?
    Well, that's how CA made them, so better ask them...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    dunno, found on a facebook post a couple of hours ago, maybe is not even roman, maybe is medieval/renaissance, can't say.

i was wondering too what the other guy is doing, hope he's just waiting for his turn...
    It's from a Roman "suburban" bathhouse, not a brothel as was originally assumed...

Depending on the context, whether the setting or the theme in the imagery depicted, these types of frescoes could either be from a brothel or adornment on the walls of parts of middle class/upper class homes. The Romans frowned on public nudity, but didn't mind these depictions in art to a point, as the salacious gender bending versions also functioned as a means of warding off the evil eye, just like phalli carved or sculpted on crossroads and carried as good luck charms, like crucifixes - imagine Van Helsing smiting Dracula with an iron cock...

According to John Clarke's Roman Sex https://www.amazon.com/Roman-Sex-100.../dp/0810942631, the man in the middle is a cinaedus, looked down upon for his passivity by "macho" men, but found alluring by women.

No, these are individual traits that do not have any effect on the spouse.

Thanks for clarifying and should've said individual traits from the beginning...

Well, that's how CA made them, so better ask them...
    Since the DEI folks enhanced the unit cards, I'd have thought they'd be scouring publications for reference material...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 17, 2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Thanks for clarifying and should've said individual traits from the beginning...
    No problem!

Since the DEI folks enhanced the unit cards, I'd have thought they'd be scouring publications for reference material...
    Yes, the unit cards have been redone, but only for the military units. These portraits you are referring to are vanilla. I think there are some submods, though, that change them if you are interested.

.....Well, that's how CA made them, so better ask them...
    Hang on - I assumed all those pictures were part of the Mod?

For they're all actresses - I recognise most of them!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Civis

I hear they are helpful with forging witches of the sand....
    ----- ---------
    HACKING INTO THE MAINFRAME!!!

It occurred to me: why aren't there any marriages between factions and states? Massalia was supposedly founded after the Phocean Protis or Euxenes married the Ligurian Gyptis and then there were the marriages between the families of the various Successor Kingdoms.

You can do that with female generals, but it’s still pretty rare as it can only be between faction leaders. I play female generals for barbarians only and have done it once recently.

You can marry faction leaders of other factions.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast