Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blut und Eisen - The Road to Paris.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Blut und Eisen - The Road to Paris.

"Twenty," Reinhardt responded, turning his gaze back towards his path, continuing to lead the left column down the trail.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

They all started chirping in from behind, and Christian realized none of them had ever had a previous chance to truly speak to one another. It was only now, at exercise, when they needed their breath the most, that they could question each other.

"So wait," Reinhardt halted the conversation, looking over his right shoulder briefly with a cursory glance, his tones going up and down with each throw of a leg, "How old are any of us?""
    I'm Twenty-Five." answered Müller

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

“25, same as Reinhard here”, said Kurt. “Actually I was brought up a cobbler and a Catholic by my Mutter and Vater in Münster”, he added.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Konrad smirked between his heavy breaths.

"Sounds like I'm the youngest, then. 19 years old."

Vortigern's Avatar Foederatus

The tall, bearded man stood in front of the conscription center, in civilian clothes still. He took his sweet time to get there, really. The mobilization order came to him a few days ago, and he, reluctantly, bid his farewells with his family and his factory colleagues.

"Precisely what I needed...", he thought. His life was fairly settled in Hagen, with his work in the steel factory, his wife and his daughter, and the last thing he wished for was mass mobilization and war.

Still, though, duty is duty. He took a sip of tobacco from his burning pipe and walked all the way up to the front guard. He saluted him and asked where is the conscription service. He would have to be properly outfitted and directed to his unit. He was surprised to see everything happening in a quite fast pace. He was immediately taken to an officer, where a Prussian lieutenant was waiting.

"Either I am the last to report... or the very first one...", was thinking, while the conscription officer was interviewing him. Once he passed selection, he was directed to the outfits, where he donned the famed blue tunic of the Prussian army. He had his orders. Drafted in the foot artillery, crewman in one of the new C64 Krupp guns, he was to report for duty to some young lieutenant named von Lotzen, a man, apparently, not hard to find. He walked right up to the young officer, saluting and yelling with his deep voice.

Musketier Oskar Neumann, reporting for duty, herr Leutnant!!

(OOC: I feel the need to skip unnecessary "NPC" talk here, so just skip forward to reporting to Lieutenant. Also, claiming maroon for Oskar?)
    Last edited by Vortigern; January 22, 2020 at 09:16 AM. Reason: fixing orthography

Citizen

“25, same as Reinhard here”, said Kurt. “Actually I was brought up a cobbler and a Catholic by my Mutter and Vater in Münster”, he added.
    "I'm from Solingen, lived there all my life." Müller responded, "I work as a bladesmith, have my own workshop and everything." He said enthusiastically.

"Siegen," Christian adds after the mention of a hometown, with his soft voice coming out as a yell with the uneven panting and momentum of his chest.

Blog Entries

Draxler slowly droned out of the other’s conversation, concentrating on regulating his breathhing in time with his long loping strides. As they neared the conscription centre on the return lap, he noticed a large man, from the South perhaps going by his height entering the building.

“Perhaps I won’t turn out to be the last arrival”, Draxler mused.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

"I'm from Eslohe," Alois' voice joined the chorus of the other trainees speaking of their hometowns now. "Little hamlet out in the countryside, beautiful place, but you've probably never heard of it and I don't blame you."

Citizen

As they made their way back toward where they started, Müller felt relieved that their run was over. While the fresh air was nice, it had been far too long since he had run any distance. He really needed to get back in shape. His present circumstances would likely give lots of opportunities. Glancing around at the other men he hoped that they would prove adequate to the task ahead. From first impressions they seemed to be alright, there were certainly worse places he could of been sent than the artillery. Nearing the barracks Müller began to slow. The lieutenant was waiting for them; as was another recruit.

Standing on the train platform, Müller lined up with the rest of his unit to enter one of the cars. Around him thousands of people scrambled about, putting the gears of war into motion. People shouted and whistles blew. The best way Müller could describe it was organized chaos. So many young men, some little more than boys, sent off for the glory of Germany and Prussian might. How many would return? Deciding not to dwell on things he could not change, Müller focused his attention back on his unit. The line continued to trickle forward, and soon he was on the train and crammed into a rail car. A couple hours later the train was moving toward the front.
    Last edited by chesser2538; December 18, 2018 at 04:59 PM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vortigern View Post
    The tall, bearded man stood in front of the conscription center, in civilian clothes still. He took his sweet time to get there, really. The mobilization order came to him a few days ago, and he, reluctantly, bid his farewells with his family and his factory colleagues. "Precisely what I needed...", he thought. His life was fairly settled in Hagen, with his work in the steel factory, his wife and his daughter, and the last thing he wished for was mass mobilization and war.

Still, though, duty is duty. He took a sip of tobacco from his burning pipe and walked all the way up to the front guard. He saluted him and asked where is the conscription service. He would have to be properly outfitted and directed to his unit. He was surprised to see everything happening in a quite fast pace. He was immediately taken to an officer, where a Prussian lieutenant was waiting. "Either I am the last to report... or the very first one...", was thinking, while the conscription officer was interviewing him. Once he passed selection, he was directed to the outfits, where he donned the famed blue tunic of the Prussian army. He had his orders. Drafted in the foot artillery, crewman in one of the new C64 Krupp guns, he was to report for duty to some young lieutenant named von Lotzen, a man, apparently, not hard to find. He walked right up to the young officer, saluting and yelling with his deep voice.

Musketier Oskar Neumann, reporting for duty, herr Leutnant!!(OOC: I feel the need to skip unnecessary "NPC" talk here, so just skip forward to reporting to Lieutenant. Also, claiming maroon for Oskar?)
    Friedrich von Lötzen turned around with a plain face, clearly a little disturbed by the loud yelling, especially when he thought he had sent everyone on their way. He inspects the lad whom seemed relatively fit. He sighed, "Well you're late Neumann. Followe me. We're moving out." von Lötzen moved pass the lad and went outside to await the arrival of the other conscripts.

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    As they made their way back toward where they started, Müller felt relieved that their run was over. While the fresh air was nice, it had been far too long since he had run any distance. He really needed to get back in shape. His present circumstances would likely give lots of opportunities. Glancing around at the other men he hoped that they would prove adequate to the task ahead. From first impressions they seemed to be alright, there were certainly worse places he could of been sent than the artillery. Nearing the barracks Müller began to slow. The lieutenant was waiting for them; as was another recruit.

Standing on the train platform, Müller lined up with the rest of his unit to enter one of the cars. Around him thousands of people scrambled about, putting the gears of war into motion. People shouted and whistles blew. The best way Müller could describe it was organized chaos. So many young men, some little more than boys, sent off for the glory of Germany and Prussian might. How many would return? Deciding not to dwell on things he could not change, Müller focused his attention back on his unit. The line continued to trickle forward, and soon he was on the train and crammed into a rail car. A couple hours later the train was moving toward the front.
    After having boarded the train cart designated to this unit, von Lötzen does a headcount. Everyone seems to be here he thinks to himself. The cart isn't specious. The men sit around two Krupp C64 guns also loaded in this train cart. The cart is damp and isn't filled with much of the outside light. Friedrich looks around at the lads.. they had all passed his test to return in 40 minutes.. still though. These men would have to prove themselves to him. He got up from his place and moved towards the center, where the two guns were standing. He put his hand on one of the wheels and shouted. "Attention!" with everyone looking at them he would continue on a softer tone. "You did well on the physical test. Now with us moving closer to conflict I wish to know what everyone did before they came here." He needed to know whom he could depend on the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortigern View Post
    (OOC: Are we moving on with the story then?)
    Yes.

Citizen

After having boarded the train cart designated to this unit, von Lötzen does a headcount. Everyone seems to be here he thinks to himself. The cart isn't specious. The men sit around two Krupp C64 guns also loaded in this train cart. The cart is damp and isn't filled with much of the outside light. Friedrich looks around at the lads.. they had all passed his test to return in 40 minutes.. still though. These men would have to prove themselves to him. He got up from his place and moved towards the center, where the two guns were standing. He put his hand on one of the wheels and shouted. "Attention!" with everyone looking at them he would continue on a softer tone. "You did well on the physical test. Now with us moving closer to conflict I wish to know what everyone did before they came here." He needed to know whom he could depend on the most.
    Müller studied the lieutenant for a moment, while he seemed the fitting image of a young Prussian officer, enthusiastic but inexperienced, there seemed to be some level of competence. Perhaps he wouldn't get them killed on the first day. Deciding to humor the man he straitens his posture before responding. “Well lieutenant, I apprenticed under my father as a knife maker until I was of age. I then studied engineering at the University of Heidelberg for two years before he grew ill. After that I returned to take up his business, which I have run for the past 4 years.” Wishing to keep thing short and simple he left it there. A knife maker having arthritis was about the worst thing that could happen, and his father had not taken it well.
    Last edited by chesser2538; December 20, 2018 at 09:20 AM.

"I was a steel worker, herr Leutnant. After I attended school, I found work in the local stahlwerk, in Hagen, and that's what I've been doing for half of my life."

he answered as honestly as he could. While talking, he pulled a small piece of paper from his jacket pocket.

"Uhh, this..." he continued, "this is a letter of recommendation, from my employer, herr Arnold Gunther. I showed it to the conscription office as well. It was given to me, in case the army would deploy me as a gunsmith, or other sort of technician".

The man passed the folded piece of paper to his commanding officer.
    Last edited by Vortigern; January 22, 2020 at 09:18 AM.

Blog Entries

The seats of the train carriage were hard and uncomfortable, characteristic of the Prussian military. Neumann was the late fellow, stout and strong, he might make a dependable comrade as a former steelworker Kurt mused.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    After Neumann was finished speaking Draxler said, “I worked in the family cobbling business. We made shoes for for the whole province”.
    Last edited by Aexodus; January 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Christian Reinhardt let himself linger in near the rear of the cart, listening to the others speak and profess their livelihoods. As each of them spoke in turn, he decided it unnecessary to speak up himself; the junker wasn't going to notice, anyhow, how could he? Rather than participate, he stared vacantly at the shadowed frame of the wheel on his side of the closest Krupp - a giant spoked wheel, capable of crushing one's toes if they were careless. His father's horses were going to the same place as him, to carry such killing tools - but the man kept grieving for the horses, even when it was time to give up his second son as well.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    "I played music," Alois said after three of his new comrades-in-arms had spoken. "Anything with strings, but especially the violin. And taught these instruments to the sons and daughters of the burghers and the Niederer Adel of Westfalen, until now of course." He glanced from one peer to another, then down at his comparatively dainty and pale hands. It would appear that he was seated among blue-collar workers, men who got their hands dirty for a living and were used to hard physical labor in factories or workshops. This war would mark the first occasion that he'd be dirtying his own, playing the music of the battlefield, which he imagined would sound much more dreadful than even the first time he ever touched a violin.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Friedrich ran his hand through his hair, surprising a sigh. It looked like he wasn't given the brightest bunch of the levies for his unit. He tapped his finger on the wheel of one of the Krupp guns that sat in their cart. He felt fear and conflict inside himself. Many generations of nobles preceded him and he was terrified to do them wrong by not performing in this great struggle for his people. "Right" Friedrich said, not really waiting on the story of the others. He slowly walked through the cart, his boots ticking on the wooden boards of the cargo cart. His blue eyes taking a moment to look upon each and every man in the cart. At the end, he turned around in the usual officer manner and clicked his heels.

Just as he opened his mouth an explosion hit near the cart, rocking the entire train and derailing it. Friedrich was his by splinters and thrown out of the cart, as everything went black he saw blood and heard screaming, probably of his men and as the light in his eyes grew dimmer he gasped..

Oskar rubbed his eyes and his face, cleaning the debris from the explosion. He looked around the cart, searching for his colleagues. Some were getting off the cart, others, already outside, were screaming, dirty and bloody from the explosion. He spat some blood, grabbed his musket and his rucksack and jumped out of the cart. He left his pickelhaube back, broken as it was into a dozen pieces.

While on the ground, the dizzyness from the explosion started to get to him. He dropped to his knees, breathing hastily. He looked around him. The train was thoroughly detracked. Soldiers were helping others to get out, horses were running around scared, orders were shouted by officers. As he was searching his surrounding, he noticed, not far from him, the young officer, von Lotzen, lying on the ground. Gathering some of his strength, he got himself up and slowly approached his CO...

Alois felt his head spinning, nearly turning his coughing fit into one of vomiting, as he came to. Just opening his eyes was a significant struggle, much less pulling himself up onto his feet. They had been exchanging life stories until an explosion literally rocked his world, he remembered that much. There was smoke from whatever that explosion had been, and the music tutor wasn't sure if there was fire to go with it - at least not here - but he didn't want to find out. There was blood too, his own, which he had to wipe from a gash on his forehead before it flooded his eyes. "Oh my God," He managed as he scanned the rest of the cart. The urge to simply hop out through the nearest window was overpowering, but first..."A-any of you still here? Herr Leutnant, Müller, Draxler, anyone?!" It was with a twinge of guilt that he half-hoped nobody would answer, since that'd free him to push the other soldiers from his mind completely and just focus on escaping alone.

Citizen

Coming to Müller slowly stared to become aware of his surroundings. Acrid smoke filled the air so heavily he could almost taste it. Something was burning. A wave of head radiated against his side and the sounds of screams and gunshots rang out. Rolling over onto his side Müller attempted to sit up. The world seemed to spin around him as he did so. Dropping to one knee he tried remembering where he was. Memories flashed through his mind. The camp, his squadmates, a long train ride... and then blackness. Looking around he spotted the twisted frame of the train... derailed... metal and wood littered the ground, broken crates of supplies, and bodies. Up ahead a C/44 lay on its side and a crate of rifles had turned over spilling its contents onto the ground. From the other side of the wreckage Müller could hear familiar voices. Shouting in response "Alois is that you?" Staggering forward he picked up one of the rifles half using the butt as a crutch to press forward. Further in the distance there were other voices, foreign ones.

Looking down at his side for a pouch that was no longer there he cursed. Hands trembling he began frantically digging through his pockets looking for a cartridge. Finally his fingers touch against cold lead and paper. Grabbing one he yanked back the bolt and jammed one into the chamber.
    Last edited by chesser2538; February 09, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast