Thread: Unit Restriction Removal/Reduction?

Default Unit Restriction Removal/Reduction?

So hey,

Playing Switzerland in my first playthrough of Ultimate, I conquered Lyon away from France... and then I realized I could access no units but the pathetic Burgundian Spear Levy and the Burgundian Arquebusiers.

Going through the game files, I found out about that unit roster decreases with distance from the regions marked as 'homeland' or 'borders'. But Lyons is right outside Switzerland! You're telling me I can't hire *any* of my faction's units if I take even one step outside of the Swiss Alps? I can't even conquer up to the south coast of France without losing all of my supply train?

Is there any way to either remove or maybe just reduce these foreign recruitment penalties? I understand it's a realism thing, but, not being able to train any significant units more than two provinces from my home regions is kind of limiting. It's hard enough being Switzerland and having barely enough money to fund an army as it is.

Default Re: Unit Restriction Removal/Reduction?

Well, logically speaking, it doesn't matter how far Lyon is from Switzerland. It's a different culture, with different people. In history, the French living near the Swiss didn't turn into pikemen just because they lived close to the Swiss.

The restriction is almost surely done through EDB. Look at the buildings that allow you to recruit units. There are probably hidden_resources being required for recruitment. Eliminate that requirement and you'll be able to get those units anywhere.

"It's hard enough being Switzerland and having barely enough money to fund an army as it is."

Great news! Things will be significantly better 500 years later.