Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    If some players want to try it: I have been testing Factions behaviour with the money limit increased from 29999 to 49999. What this mean? In EBII, AI Factions have a clawback of -20k on the next turn after they get more than 29999. This is done to prevent AI Factions from accumulating huge amounts of money. What I did was increasing the limit, allowing AI Factions to have more, but keeping the clawback after they hit more than 49999. Note that this change affects most the small factions since the big ones like Romani, Carthage, Seleucids, Ptolemai, rarely have more than 20k of money and even some minor factions can't reach the big numbers.

During the testing (I'm still not done testing), I played 105 turns in a Pontus campaign and I can say that the AI seems a bit more agressive (just slightly), they seem to have some more boats around the map (for example, the Lusitanian and the Numidian) and they have a lot more capacity to pay ransoms and not going bankrupt from that (I had the Hayadashan paying me two ransoms with captured FMs that costed them 16k one and 10k the other, on the next turn they sued for peace and accepted my demand to pay 2000 for peace, they still had money left but not much).

So, if anyone wants to try this and see if there are positive changes in the game, this is how:

With Notepad ++, go to the "AI Faction Excess Treasury Reduction" section of the campaign_script - change the and Treasury > 29999 to 49999 (or a higher number if you want).

And thanks QuintusSertorius for telling me how to change it!
    One small note to add to anyone making this change, it is not savegame compatible, and requires a new campaign to take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    One small note to add to anyone making this change, it is not savegame compatible, and requires a new campaign to take effect.
    I was exactly thinking about it, if it would be savegame compatible or not, thanks for making that clear!

BTW: If you try it, please write if you see any positive or negative changes that affect the gameplay!

Something I really like about the new version:
    Diplomacy appears to be back on tracks, (at least for small scale warfare)! In my h/h Aedui game the Auerni declared war by besieging Bribakte, got defeated by the sallying garrison lead by my faction leader, lost a large part of their army and a couple of faction members in a big bridge battle near gergovia and after being pressured my two raiding parties devastating their countryside decided it was enough to sue for piece and accepted my terms on war compensations (3k in a single payment and 0.5k per turn during 10turns). And we're back into being trading partners and nice neighbours (for now).
    Don't know if it only worked because they are still a small and weak faction but still it's a refreshing change from the usual larger scale wars we are used in total war games.
    Props to the team!
    Last edited by LusitanianWolf; December 10, 2018 at 02:30 PM.

Did you folks add any periodical, artificial, huge population increase events?
    If not, boy do I have a story to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Did you folks add any periodical, artificial,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    huge population increase events?
    If not, boy do I have a story to tell.

I may have the same or similar issue. On Turn 144 in my Rome Campaign everything looks fine. On Turn 145 I have Huge increases in Happiness and population growth across all of my cities:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210193641_1 Before.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	356209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181210193759_1 After.jpg 
Views:	37 
ID:	356210
    eb.system.log.7z

Quote Originally Posted by Caymus View Post

I may have the same or similar issue. On Turn 144 in my Rome Campaign everything looks fine. On Turn 145 I have Huge increases in Happiness and population growth across all of my cities:

eb.system.log.7z
    That's it. I will be documenting that event later on in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Caymus View Post

eb.system.log.7z
    That's part of the faction re-emergence script, and it shouldn't be visible to the player. Did it stay up at those levels, or disappear again the next turn?

Any info on the Garrison Script for EB 2.35?
    I personally enjoy this script and would like to know if and how it is implemented in the game.

Cheers.
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Der Böse Wolf View Post
    Any info on the Garrison Script for EB 2.35?
    I personally enjoy this script and would like to know if and how it is implemented in the game.

Cheers.
    There's no universal garrison script for every settlement, but there is a "selective" one that works on factional capitals (when owned by the faction who should be in them) and a handful of "Rebel capitals" as well.

The way it works is that with a 10-turn cooldown (ie it won't trigger if it already has done within the last 10 turns), if the settlement is besieged, up to 10 (you can't have more than 20) mostly levy-grade units will be added to the garrison. It isn't instantaneous and won't trigger merely on launching an assault, a blockade has to be maintained for at least 1 turn in order for it to fire.

Search the campaign_script for "Selective Garrison Script" if you want to see the code itself.

My Makedonia cmpaign has gotten to the point where it's not much fun anymore...strongest faction, all that stuff...

So, recommend me a campaign. It should be a faction that's well fleshed out already, with fighting style different to Makedonia's phalanx+ranged.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    My Makedonia cmpaign has gotten to the point where it's not much fun anymore...strongest faction, all that stuff...

So, recommend me a campaign. It should be a faction that's well fleshed out already, with fighting style different to Makedonia's phalanx+ranged.
    Carthage! And if you like greeks then maybe KB. In that region the Sarmatians also have some new goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post

Bosporans. Hoplites + foot archers + a wide range of cavalry. Fighting against all the horse archers there have ever been.

Well the Sauromatae traits are pretty much done and they've seen quite a few new units in the area. Other options could be Celtiberians or one of the Celtic Trio(both have solid trait systems by now, but Celts have seen a lot more new regionals).

I was reading the Player's guide and I came across two very interesting feature I have never seen before:
    1- The nomadic enclave
    2- the Barbarian Mercenary Adventure and Louantus

> Can you please explain how a faction can get an enclave in another's faction's territory?
    > Must a louantus lead an army himself to get the traits or just be part of an army lead by a better general (I RP my games and only have FL and FH lead armies).
    Also, it says "killing ennemies in the thick of battle". Is chasing routing troops count as such (again for RP purposes and avoid general's bodyguards exploit, I only use generals to chase routing units and avoid using them in the battle unless I am about to lose)
    > Finally, I don't seem to understand how the Mercenary adventure works. It says the louantus must stay a year in a specific settlement and then can be recruited as a mercenary. The settlement in question must belong the the Gauls in the first place, right? Is that the only condition? Can he die as a mercenary?

I am blown away by the in depth RP possibilities and research done in this mod.
    I read the player guide every day and I have more fun doing so than playing the game!

Current Hotseat:

Playing as the Bosporans is too hard for me. The horse archer hordes me up big time.

It's Iouantus, not Louantus. It's the reconstructed Gaulish cognate with the Latin Iuventus, meaning "Youth".

> Must a louantus lead an army himself to get the traits or just be part of an army lead by a better general (I RP my games and only have FL and FH lead armies).
    Also, it says "killing ennemies in the thick of battle". Is chasing routing troops count as such (again for RP purposes and avoid general's bodyguards exploit, I only use generals to chase routing units and avoid using them in the battle unless I am about to lose)
    > Finally, I don't seem to understand how the Mercenary adventure works. It says the louantus must stay a year in a specific settlement and then can be recruited as a mercenary. The settlement in question must belong the the Gauls in the first place, right? Is that the only condition? Can he die as a mercenary?
    1. No, he does not need to lead the army himself, but the trait will advance much faster if he's the one to lead and win the battle; for this reason you're at a disadvantage if you only use your FL and FH as a Celtic player(not to mention that our Celtic factions didn't really have "heirs" in the true sense, but due to M2TW engine limitations, it would be silly for there not to be an accompanying heir trait for the FH), since young characters are encouraged to get out and about(also the Protector governor trait for Protectorates and Allied States is directly related to provincial military defense, so robbing them of their command kind of makes the whole trait obsolete). He should try to get the training level first though; please see the trait description for more.
    2. This refers to the condition GeneralFoughtInCombat(might be mistyping it's condition name, but the function is the same). If the Kingetos-in-training leads an army and does not personally participate in the battle himself he will fail his warrior training. This means you should use his BG unit during battle--it doesn't matter what he does so long as he fights and doesn't rout himself.
    3. The Iouantus trait does not have anything to do with the CelticMerc traits other than the fact that you will succeed your warrior training by being a mercenary(one of many ways, far from being a requirement); a character must be under 30 to undergo merc service, the CelticKingetos trait(first level is called Iouantus) has nothing to do with it. Yes the settlement must be owned by you. No he cannot die as a mercenary, but he can become permanently injured by doing so.
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; December 11, 2018 at 09:14 PM.

KB does look interesting, though I'm afraid I'll be dropping down south to get some of my favorite units anyway. The nomadic enclaves look especially interesting...I did not look into the system thoroughly yet, but does it mean I'll be able to get Sauroma Wazdae in decent quantitites? That would be great...

By the way...how does the team decide on formation of units? I find it interesting that some skirmishers, like basically all those added in 2.35 to Italy, and heavy archers like Toxotai Kretikoi or Thureopherontes Toxotai, have heavy infantry formation even though those carry better melee gear only for their defense, while those based on troops that historically often served as assault infantry (and they do so in game) like Peltenai or Skaplinai have loose, skirmisher formation. I noticed that Thureopherontes Toxotai gained tighter formation only in 2.35, is it something you're refining and just didn't get around to do for some units yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Skahn View Post
    It's Iouantus, not Louantus. It's the reconstructed Gaulish cognate with the Latin Iuventus, meaning "Youth".

1. No, he does not need to lead the army himself, but the trait will advance much faster if he's the one to lead and win the battle; for this reason you're at a disadvantage if you only use your FL and FH as a Celtic player(not to mention that our Celtic factions didn't really have "heirs" in the true sense, but due to M2TW engine limitations, it would be silly for there not to be an accompanying heir trait for the FH), since young characters are encouraged to get out and about(also the Protector governor trait for Protectorates and Allied States is directly related to provincial military defense, so robbing them of their command kind of makes the whole trait obsolete). He should try to get the training level first though; please see the trait description for more.
    2. This refers to the condition GeneralFoughtInCombat(might be mistyping it's condition name, but the function is the same). If the Kingetos-in-training leads an army and does not personally participate in the battle himself he will fail his warrior training. This means you should use his BG unit during battle--it doesn't matter what he does so long as he fights and doesn't rout himself.
    3. The Iouantus trait does not have anything to do with the CelticMerc traits other than the fact that you will succeed your warrior training by being a mercenary(one of many ways, far from being a requirement); a character must be under 30 to undergo merc service, the CelticKingetos trait(first level is called Iouantus) has nothing to do with it. Yes the settlement must be owned by you. No he cannot die as a mercenary, but he can become permanently injured by doing so.
    Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly answer these.

I guess I should adapt and bend my house rules to realistically portray the intricacies of a Celtic faction. I did the same with BGR V for Stainless Steel 6.4 and used War Council members to lead armies, even i they were not FL or FH.
    Whenever a mod "forces" me to abandon or adapt my house rules, it means that it is a great mod. House rules are there to add a challenge and avoid exploits. So hats off.
    I aim to always pay as realistically as possible.

Regarding the kingetos-in-training as a mercenary, it says he will be 5 years in service with -200% movement point.
    This means that will just stand outside the settlement where he was recruited for 20 turns?

What happens if he is attacked? Will he be alone or have troops with him?

- What about the functioning of the enclaves, as described in my original post?

Cheers.

Current Hotseat:

I guess I should adapt and bend my house rules to realistically portray the intricacies of a Celtic faction. I did the same with BGR V for Stainless Steel 6.4 and used War Council members to lead armies, even i they were not FL or FH.
    Whenever a mod "forces" me to abandon or adapt my house rules, it means that it is a great mod. House rules are there to add a challenge and avoid exploits. So hats off.
    I aim to always pay as realistically as possible.
    You should view the Celts as more decentralized than some of our other more "civilized" factions. For example, we only have an "heir" for them and other factions because of M2TW hardcoded engine limits(previously they used the Teutonic FM system, which is just intolerably inferior to the traditional family tree due to poor design choices made by CA, which doesn't have a FH).

Regarding the kingetos-in-training as a mercenary, it says he will be 5 years in service with -200% movement point.
    This means that will just stand outside the settlement where he was recruited for 20 turns?
    Some traits require you to stand outside the settlement(CelticMercRoman) but most merely require you to stay inside the city he was recruited in(CelticMercGreek etc.). BTW you should theoretically be exempt from failing as a Kingetos during your kingetos-in-training trait level during your merc term. Afterwards, regardless of whether he failed or succeeded as a mercenary, he will succeed his warrior training if he completed his merc term.

What happens if he is attacked? Will he be alone or have troops with him?
    Nothing changes except for his movement points. This is a "simulated" merc term, so there are limitations to what we can do and represent. We can't stop an enemy from besieging or attacking a character who's on a merc term, but the problem is rare so it's not that much of an issue. If he is attacked or besieged then he'll fight in the battle like always, and finish his merc term normally so long as he doesn't leave the province he was recruited in(which will have the unfortunate effect of resetting the 20 turn timer so avoid doing that if at all possible).

> Can you please explain how a faction can get an enclave in another's faction's territory?
    I don't really understand the question as it doesn't really make much sense to me.
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; December 12, 2018 at 05:52 AM.

Can I ask why the Bosporitai Logades have 1 in charge?

It seems so weak for an elite heavy assault unit tbh.

EDIT : Are there going to be mercenary cataphracts in the future?.
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; December 12, 2018 at 07:15 AM.