Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9344950515253545556575859606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1282

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    I did the same thing. Got TW3K when it went on sale, then got really bored teleporting my generals all over the map and never having to worry about troop replenishment. Now I'm re-re-replaying Pontus.
    Abdulmecid had a good comment on this in the Troy discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Most definitely! I hate the new system ever since it was implemented in Shogun II. In my opinion, it has rendered generals and agents completely soulless, they nowadays look more like robots, which you upgrade with each successful action, almost always choosing the same traits. Even the retinues suffer from the same rationale. Of course, the character feature was previously severely downgraded in Empire and Napoleon, which offered a very limited and uninspiring selection of traits and retinues. I really long for the days of Medieval II and Rome I, where every figure developed his own personality, according to his deeds (but without the divinely-powered player deciding for them), upbringing and randomness.

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Abdulmecid had a good comment on this in the Troy discussion:
    That was an excellent point. I do feel a lot more involved in EB2 than DEI regarding generals (Rome 2 does have a few things that does better than MTW2... which is normal since it is a much newer game... The surprising thing is that M2TW does quite a few things better than Rome II...) as for instance, earlier today, I had a general who was a bit corrupt which I left in charge of Knossos and after a bit of time he actually was banished and basically lost all his loyalty. I had to remove him from the city lest he rebel and turn the whole city against me, used him to buy a few mercs, forgot to send them back to knossos and he did rebel and tried to take Knossos away from me! Thematically, Rome 2 can suck it as I had never had anything remotely close to this happen! Look at the story telling elements in this! ufff... Maybe I should write some notes while I remember the events and write a small AAR

I mean, I don't mind the upgrade system. But it would be nice if the upgrades had more customization options. Also if the upgrades, as well as the traits, had more clear triggers like they do in EB2.

The main thing that I hate is that all unit recruitment is through the retinue system. It's stupid. One of my favorite things about EB2 is the AoR and unit scarcity. Like, after conquering Anatolia, I sent the king of Pontus and his Heir around Greece to conquer Illyria. After a decade or so of getting unrest under control and development, I can finally start recruiting Illyrian units. It's such a great payoff. Whereas, in TW3K I can just deploy a Strategist and have him or her instantly recruit a retinue of trebuchets and ballistae. A balanced army ends up being roughly 1/3 ranged units, 1/3 infantry, and 1/3 cavalry because of the retinue recruitment. What would be nice is a hybrid system where you recruit the bulk of your troops at settlements (and field mercenary units, which is one of my favorite parts of the RTW and M2TW engine), with unit availability determined by the AoR, but that generals have up to maybe 2 retinue slots to recruit special units only available based on that type of general and their level.

This is why I always come back to EB2. Unit diversity and the extremely well developed AoR system. Y'all really went above and beyond in this mod. I cannot say enough just how much I enjoy the ability to customize my army based upon unit availability in different regions. It makes it so that different theatres of war actually feel different. Unlike modern Total War games where every damn battle is the same.

I actually really like the 3K retinue system - it fits the setting. Not a huge amount of unique regional troops (that we have any real knowledge of) in 3rd century CE Han China, and besides, the novel the game is heavily based on revolves around characters. Tying armies to individuals makes a lot of sense in 3K.

But in all the other historical titles - and Warhammer, to a lesser extent, b/c the issue is fixable there with a wide variety of unit cap mods - I really miss the limited recruitment and regional variation of units that Med2 has. I hate how the newer games push you into building doomstacks of elite units instead of sensible armies that reflect your empire's demographics and economic development. The recruitment/retraining system is probably the best thing about Med2 imo.

Last edited by Martin N; September 29, 2020 at 01:07 AM.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Is it normal for "Barbarian factions" to be able to build paved roads? Pritanoi, Boioi, Lusitania and Aedui/Arverni all have them up and running 100 turns in. At least around their capitals. Sorry about the double post too i would have deleted it if i could.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin N View Post
    Is it normal for "Barbarian factions" to be able to build paved roads? Pritanoi, Boioi, Lusitania and Aedui/Arverni all have them up and running 100 turns in. At least around their capitals. Sorry about the double post too i would have deleted it if i could.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Yes.
    Seem to remember in EB1 only the Gallic factions could build them, although its been a while. Was it a purposeful change? Its kind of strange seeing it when i haven't even got Italy fully paved yet lol.

Haven't played these other factions yet though, i expect the building descriptions will clear it up and the map displaying paved roads will be an engine limitation on what the roads were actually meant to be.

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

playing as Pontos and no matter what government i install in Galatia, i always get the rebel stuck spawn sooner rather later. currently have a client ruler in place with allied oligarchy and it still happens, seemingly the same as when the region was under regular Pontic admin. is there no way to impact this, at least the frequency, at all?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    playing as Pontos and no matter what government i install in Galatia, i always get the rebel stuck spawn sooner rather later. currently have a client ruler in place with allied oligarchy and it still happens, seemingly the same as when the region was under regular Pontic admin. is there no way to impact this, at least the frequency, at all?
    This sounds very historical, at least within the narrative present in the Greek sources (mainly from the Roman times, iirc).

The government doesn't matter, the rebels spawn because of a script, not because of unrest. Galatians will keep spawning in Ankyra no matter what you do, it is random whenever they spawn each winter season. This script is part of the "troublesome regions", wich makes ankyra difficult to hold. The galatian rebels will stop eventually but not until the middle game, I don't remember the date, around 170BC.

thanks. i assumed the form of government would perhaps influence the scale and frequency of the uprising. maybe it isnt possible.
    can Basilike Patris be demolished and rebuilt elsewhere? i've got access to only one so far and didnt pay attention and got it built it in the wrong place

thanks. i assumed the form of government would perhaps influence the scale and frequency of the uprising. maybe it isnt possible.
    can Basilike Patris be demolished and rebuilt elsewhere? i've got access to only one so far and didnt pay attention and got it built it in the wrong place
    I'm afraid not, no luck for you, Sarkiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    I'm afraid not, no luck for you, Sarkiss.
    Huh, I thought demolishing a BP frees up a spot for the script to allow construction elsewhere

I don't think the script resets buildings it manages like this. That's why you need to be very careful where you build them.

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Hello all. I was just wondering how does a camp qualify for a regular town or city?

There should be a "Pastorial Region" building as opposed to a "Nomadic Region" building

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what's left before you consider the mod complete? I'm just wondering how my favorite faction (rome) will be affected before I get too far and have to start over again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Illiterate View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what's left before you consider the mod complete? I'm just wondering how my favorite faction (rome) will be affected before I get too far and have to start over again.
    A huge amount of work yet to do. We still have two more factions, plenty of units to come, scripts, events, traits, even the city models.

Some of the existing factions will be undergoing a revamp for 2.4 as well.