Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 833484950515253545556575859606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1282

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Problem with AP attribute is that that not all arms and armors are created equal against each other.

A blunt weapon will not do so great against a padded protection, but a sharp one will.

An iron tip can, in theory, punch a hole in a bronze plate. But it won't do much against an iron one. It can burst a chainmail link with enough force, though.

People in the game don't wear uniform armors even in the same unit.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

I agree. And that's why I don't really want to see the AP attribute given to half the units in the game. It's is only a very crude and simplistic representation of the "armour piercing" behaviour, but it's all that we have in the M2TW engine. So, IMO, it's better to use it for as few units as possible, based on the weapons that are by design better against armour (in a general way).

I have some questions and i really hope someone could help me...

1. Is there a way to eliminate the buff that the ai gets in growth on H and VH CAI difficulty?
    2. I want to slow down the advancements of town to large town to city etc.
    Increasing the households needed in order to advance is one step (2000/6000/12000/24000 to 5000/15000/30000/50000) but i think i will also need to edit squalor (famine)
    in descr_settlements_mechanics there are two scripts about squalor
    a. </factor>
    <factor name="SPF_SQUALOUR">
    <pip_modifier value="0.7"/>
    <pip_min value="0"/>
    <pip_max value="32"/>
    b. </factor>
    <factor name="SOF_SQUALOUR">
    <pip_modifier value="0.5"/>
    <castle_modifier value="0.2"/>
    <pip_min value="0"/>
    <pip_max value="16"/>
    So do i need to edit pip_modifier value on both to half 0.7 to 0.3 and 0.5 to 0.2 and is there anything else that needs to be edited in order to not have problems? I don't mind some places staying as towns
    or large towns forever...so i also thought about editing descr_regions base growth for some regions from 1 to 3 or even more in order to make sure that places like Rome will flourish!
    3. I tried to change the aigeneral hitpoints in export_descr_character_traits but i keep getting a CTD, is there some other script that needs to be changed?
    4. This is specificly for Koinon Hellenon...i think that it starts with too many generals and that creates an immersion problem with many of them having no children...i deleted some of them (Glaukon, his two daughters and Epichares) but the problem i have now is that also the starting portraits change...is there some way to make the portraits stay the same?

...i think that's all... ....thank you for this amazing mod, i'm just looking for a few changes that will make it closer to my personal likings!

Quote Originally Posted by Bast39 View Post
    I agree. And that's why I don't really want to see the AP attribute given to half the units in the game.
    What you also must consider is that elites and to a certain extent, professionals, are a rarity in this mod. Not only in unit size, but also in pool size, refresh rate and regional availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpapm View Post
    This is specificly for Koinon Hellenon...i think that it starts with too many generals and that creates an immersion problem with many of them having no children...
    Use those general units like a bar a soap until there is nothing left. Seriously though, as KH you're in a bit of a pickle at the start of the campaign. You'll need every unit you could get - if you don't want the generals, turn them into regular units just to make things fair for you

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Use those general units like a bar a soap until there is nothing left. Seriously though, as KH you're in a bit of a pickle at the start of the campaign. You'll need every unit you could get - if you don't want the generals, turn them into regular units just to make things fair for you
    Honestly, because of how passive is the ai in the first at least 60 turns (which i'm ok with it) i had no real problems starting my campaign...Epeiros attack on Sparta can be easily repelled and if you offer ceasefire before the fight starts you dont have to even fight them by retreating when the scripted battle starts and offering ceasefire again...Macedonia only attacked me once on H/H and i tested multiple campaigns even on VH/VH...this was a tougher battle and i lost two of the older FMs (hooray i guess ) but as i said it happened only once...my number one priority is to take Knossos as soon as possible so that i start making some money...i think it's a much better option to build an army in Athens and attack Knossos than to recruit mercenaries in Krete with Areus.

By the way are the Olympics not included in this version of EB? I always get the Harmatodromia in the start but the only effect it seems to have is to get me in the red and make the Ptolemaioi like me a little bit so i can offer an alliance (Pergamon kicks theim out of Asia Minor everytime so i don't have to betray them to take Ephesos).

Also incase anyone is interested i cut squarol from 0.7 to 0.3 for growth , 0.5 to 0.2 for public order, doubled settlement households requirements and it seems to be working...i checked it with Sparta on 24.000 famine was 5,5% and 40% and when i made the changes with 50.000 it was 5% and 35%...i know who would have thought...

Why to get rid of free Epilektoi with rally troops ability?

Even better - make an army out of them and go after Pyrrhus.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; June 16, 2020 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    What you also must consider is that elites and to a certain extent, professionals, are a rarity in this mod. Not only in unit size, but also in pool size, refresh rate and regional availability.
    IIRC there are no scaling value for the AP attribute meaning that we can't make one unit less less AP than other, so even though your argument makes lot of sense wouldn't it mean that proffesionnals and elite (which should have low AP value from pure skill) destroy armored unit given that they would have AP on top of their justifiably higher attack value (or maybe I'm overestimating the place that armor has in the overhaul defense stats of most units or missed something else entirely)

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Yes, professionals are a rarity in ancient times. But keep in mind that you don't have to be a professional to be skilled, particularly in ancient times when there was no modern drill and war was widespread. So, if you give the AP attribute to, say, late republican legionaries, you have to give it to non professional but well-experienced warriors like celtic swordsmen (batoroi), germanic veteran spearmen, greek thureophoroi and hoplites, roman principes and so on... So yeah, about half the units in the game.

And even if you give it only to elites, it has to be properly balanced by reducing their attack value. Otherwise, as noted by blackbirdgriffin, they will be overpowered against heavily armoured units (think about epilektoi hoplitai against cataphracts!). But it will decrease their effectiveness against lightly armoured units, and I doubt that's what you want.

Why the AP attribute on units anyway?

Few "units" of the era had all men armed with even roughly uniform melee weapons so a commander shouldn't be capable of counting on all men in the crowd having axes. Also things like wooden clubs shouldn't be terribly effective against armor used by the more advanced factions.

Blunt is already handled by the engine as a separate attribute.

Let's leave AP for things that are confirmed for reliably making armor ineffective. Like elephants, artillery.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; June 17, 2020 at 11:13 AM.

Blackbird and Bast, you raise good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    Why the AP attribute on units anyway?

Few "units" of the era had all men with armed with even roughly uniform melee weapons so a commander shouldn't be capable of counting on all men in the crowd having axes. Also things like wooden clubs shouldn't be terribly effective against armor used by the more advanced factions.

Blunt is already handled by the engine as a separate attribute.

Let's leave AP for things that are confirmed for reliably making armor ineffective. Like elephants, artillery.
    Good point. When I played the original Europa Barbarorum a few years ago, I removed the AP attribute for axemen and gave them better attack but lower defence than swordsmen. It didn't work so bad, I think! But, IMO, the EBII team does a great job at balancing things. Those germanic clubmen, for example, have a so low attack value that I found them weaker than spearmen even against heavily armoured roman legionaries. So, if the team decides to keep the AP attribute for some weapons but remove it for all swords, I would be OK with that.

I didn't know that the engine has a blunt attribute, though. How does it work?

Good point. When I played the original Europa Barbarorum a few years ago, I removed the AP attribute for axemen and gave them better attack but lower defence than swordsmen. It didn't work so bad, I think! But, IMO, the EBII team does a great job at balancing things. Those germanic clubmen, for example, have a so low attack value that I found them weaker than spearmen even against heavily armoured roman legionaries. So, if the team decides to keep the AP attribute for some weapons but remove it for all swords, I would be OK with that.
    Germanic clubmen perhaps are the only unit where this kind of standardization might be called for. Still there could be a few marginally more lucky people with long knives and swords in the mix, though.

But let's point at the ever-present axemen units, especially of the Eastern variety.

I'm a big fan of the Eastern cultures, but those men are a bit of a stretch with being almost uniformly armed. They sometimes were depicted with a sagaris or any other kind of an axe, then sometimes with swords no different than those used by the Greeks. Then sometimes there was an akinakes on their hip and that weapon may or may not always be long enough to qualify as a short sword. One couldn't reliably bet on enough men there having an axe or a pickaxe to purposely count them as a designated anti-armor unit.

I didn't know that the engine has a blunt attribute, though. How does it work?
    I don't know how exactly it's working behind the scenes, but the units with damage type set to "blunt" will always score more kills on armored targets than units without it even if they don't get the AP attribute.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; June 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM.

Tiro

Hello,

After some time i am trying to install again EBII, new pc and new game ( since i lost game discs and now i have a steam copy of the game), i am trying to follow install instructions carefully but when i reach the point 5a ( Additional "O/S Specific" Mandatory Instructions for my new win10 64 bits os) i find the links to dowload both microsoft visual C++ down) i hope i have fount the right ones surfing inet wtih my explorer. I only wanted to let you know those links dont work, at least for me. Ok back to try to install the mod.

Regards:

melvidh

What resolution do people play on? I'm getting alot of crashes when loading into battles from campaign map, wondering if my resolution might be the issue (playing on 4k)

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

thanks to a boardgame side project of mine, began playing EB2 again. Went with a KH campaign. Must say that the ,mod is playing much better than I remember. Might have been a bad idea to start with the seleucids the first time ^^

Was going for Epirus campaign but I read you guys are to completely redo it so I will wait for 2.35A to start one.

Maybe im wrong but from browsing the forum the next big patch is supposed to be on the way, is it worth downloading the mod and starting a full on campaign? Got a real hankering for Total war lately and the moshpit of the newer games just aren't doing it for me.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin N View Post
    Maybe im wrong but from browsing the forum the next big patch is supposed to be on the way, is it worth downloading the mod and starting a full on campaign? Got a real hankering for Total war lately and the moshpit of the newer games just aren't doing it for me.
    You can read https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-35A-Changelog for a list of future changes. The fewer the changes pertaining to a faction in 2.35a, the less you have to "lose" by playing the "outdated" 2.35 version.

IIRC the Carthaginians, Leustiane, Arevaci, Sweboz, Lugians, Epeirotes, and Bosporans will receive the biggest changes. Try to hold off playing as them for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin N View Post
    I did the same thing. Got TW3K when it went on sale, then got really bored teleporting my generals all over the map and never having to worry about troop replenishment. Now I'm re-re-replaying Pontus.