Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

The AI factions needs at least 150 turns to become active. It becomes really interesting around turn 200-250.
    The Rebel faction was improved significantly - ever since their recruitment was fixed, they have become more difficult to conquer.

Can I see your minimap with the fog of war turned off?
    there you go. looks like most of the rebels are gone, so they probably not (or not the only) a major issue here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toggle_fow.jpg  

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Can I see your minimap with the fog of war turned off?
    My go-to pick-up line.

I'm still single

looks like most of the rebels are gone
    That map situation is weird. The AI left many rebel provinces untouched (especially Syracause), yet AI are fighting each other, especially seeing Saka on Sauromate, and Carthage on Numidia...

[IMG]file:///Users/dmitriypavkin/Desktop/Снимок%20экрана%202019-04-06%20в%2013.43.37.png[/IMG]

MacOs Steam Version of MTW2

Error code 361
    an error occurs when entering any battle on a strategic mapThe operating system is the last Mac OsX
    Anyone knows how to properly install this mod on Steam Version of M2TW Definitive Edition on Mac?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    My go-to pick-up line.

I'm still single
    Goddamn it I want to rep you for this, but I've repped you too recently.

Looking for some opinions on the size of stacks for my new "bandit" script that replaces the default one. There are three potential spawns - two 5-unit stacks and one 10-unit stack. All of them are led by a named character, with some battle-useful stats (including +2 hit points), which makes them immediately more threatening than the usual bandit spawn which almost always has a Captain in charge. They're also a decent composition to make them able to do something. Being Rebels, they'll still all die at the end of a battle if you win.

Is a 10-unit stack too big? I wonder if the bigger one should be cut to 8 units. Still big enough to be dangerous, since the largest one always spawns nearest to the settlement, but not overwhelmingly so.

There's 5% chance of either of the smaller ones, 2.5% chance of the larger. There's also a 10-turn cooldown between spawns, so you wouldn't be fighting them all the time.

As an example, this is a stack of "Kretan pirates" who spawn on the coast of Lakonike:

Code:
                    spawn_army
                        faction slave, sub_faction f_kh
                        character	random_name, named character, age 30, x 186, y 128, portrait wgreek3
                        traits  CommandExperience 2, GoodLeader 1, HaleAndHearty 2, TurnsAlive 2
                        unit		hellenistic infantry cretan		exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit		hellenistic infantry hemithorakitai	exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit		hellenistic infantry hemithorakitai	exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit		hellenistic infantry akontistai	exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                        unit		hellenistic infantry akontistai	exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    end
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 06, 2019 at 05:11 PM.

Campidoctor

That new rebel script sounds great. I'd say 8 would be better for the more regular larger spawn, and maybe a 0.5% chance for a 12-stack to represent a serious slave/tribal/dissident revolt threat?

If there's any room for random variability, something like 4-5, 6-8, and 9-12 unit stack spawns with variable spawn rates would be cool I think.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

if there're 3 potential spawns, then no additional work is needed to diversify the spawns, and like 6 - 10 - 12 is indeed better.
    Given the free_upkeep in the settlements (standing reserves), I'd be in favour of bigger spawns. This spices up the game and provides for caring of you current holdings more.

Those spawns should be sized according to the groups they represent - raiders, brigands, rebels etc. Don't underdo, don't overdo.
    Last edited by Rad; April 07, 2019 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    That new rebel script sounds great. I'd say 8 would be better for the more regular larger spawn, and maybe a 0.5% chance for a 12-stack to represent a serious slave/tribal/dissident revolt threat?

If there's any room for random variability, something like 4-5, 6-8, and 9-12 unit stack spawns with variable spawn rates would be cool I think.
    The only randomness is in their appearance - everything else has to be coded. I'm given to understand major slave revolts like that of Spartacus (and those in Sicily) were the exception, rather than the rule. So this mostly represents tribal unrest, pirates and other raiders and rebellious lordlings and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    if there're 3 potential spawns, then no additional work is needed to diversify the spawns, and like 6 - 10 - 12 is indeed better.
    Given the free_upkeep in the settlements (standing reserves), I'd be in favour of bigger spawns. This spices up the game and provides for caring of you current holdings more.
    10 is pushing it and 12 is definitely too big for something that goes on forever. There's no "difficulty setting" on this and I don't want it to turn into whack-a-mole. It's an upgrade on the existing hardcoded mechanic, since at least every one of them will have a proper commander and useful composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Those spawns should be sized according to the groups they represent - raiders, brigands, rebels etc. Don't underdo, don't overdo.
    As above, it's not supposed to become the main focus of gameplay, just something to keep everyone on their toes and add a random element into the proceedings. While I have seen the occasional full stack spawn with the hardcoded mechanic it's very rare and I think more frequent spawns of smaller ones would be better.

One additional point to note is that every faction is exempt from spawns in their home province (Rome in Latium, Makedonia in Makedonia, etc). Also note Rebels can't hire mercs, so they shouldn't get any bigger.

10 is pushing it and 12 is definitely too big for something that goes on forever. There's no "difficulty setting" on this and I don't want it to turn into whack-a-mole. It's an upgrade on the existing hardcoded mechanic, since at least every one of them will have a proper commander and useful composition.

As above, it's not supposed to become the main focus of gameplay, just something to keep everyone on their toes and add a random element into the proceedings. While I have seen the occasional full stack spawn with the hardcoded mechanic it's very rare and I think more frequent spawns of smaller ones would be better.
    Ok, I got the line of thinking. Thanks for the anwers, QS.

What I have in mind is that the more I read history, the more I'm convinced that the main obstacle for the development of the big realms in the EBII period was the ability of any government (kings, republic, tribes) to effectively control the territories and to prevent them from seceding. I thought this mechanics of rebels is to make it possible to lose a region somewhere in the deep of your realm just because the locals feel the need for independence. It's why I think a really big stack should appear. The small ones - like 5-units - should be easily dealt with by the local governor and should not bother central much. From the gameplay perspective - they should not bother the player. My conclusion: only big stacks, worthy attention of the players, should appear.

Ok, I got the line of thinking. Thanks for the anwers, QS.

What I have in mind is that the more I read history, the more I'm convinced that the main obstacle for the development of the big realms in the EBII period was the ability of any government (kings, republic, tribes) to effectively control the territories and to prevent them from seceding. I thought this mechanics of rebels is to make it possible to lose a region somewhere in the deep of your realm just because the locals feel the need for independence. It's why I think a really big stack should appear. The small ones - like 5-units - should be easily dealt with by the local governor and should not bother central much. From the gameplay perspective - they should not bother the player. My conclusion: only big stacks, worthy attention of the players, should appear.
    Those were rare, and that's not what this mechanic is trying to replicate. What you're describing is what the peasant_revolt mechanic is for, when a whole settlement turns Rebel.

This is for the small scale "bush fires", the constant raiding from across the border or by neighbouring tribes, pirates and other masterless men. If a player isn't properly garrisoning settlements, especially those they regard as in their safe interior, this will remind them there's no such thing. They'll cause unrest and devastation until dealt with.

Those were rare, and that's not what this mechanic is trying to replicate. What you're describing is what the peasant_revolt mechanic is for, when a whole settlement turns Rebel.

This is for the small scale "bush fires", the constant raiding from across the border or by neighbouring tribes, pirates and other masterless men. If a player isn't properly garrisoning settlements, especially those they regard as in their safe interior, this will remind them there's no such thing. They'll cause unrest and devastation until dealt with.
    Ok, but I have the impression that if a player is careful enough, such a revolt never happens. Is there any "accidental hit on public order" mechanism so that the peasant_revolt may occur?

Ok, but I have the impression that if a player is careful enough, such a revolt never happens.
    Bread and games, my friend. Bread and games.

Campidoctor

Is there a way to find out which units get armor upgrades? Playing as Makedonia, I didn't think there were any because I'd built the Enfranchised Military Settlers building which lists armor upgrades, but no units in core provinces had any. Then I built that in Byzantion, and my Thrakian Colonist units suddenly had the little armor icon and even visual upgrades in battle. Wondering if there are any other Hellenistic units that get these.

Check in custom battle whether you can give them armour upgrade, or in recruitment viewer whether there is more than one armour level listed. That said, the conditions for the armour upgrade are entirely different matter...

And there are only few units in EBII that can get any armour upgrade.

Core Hellenistic units, no upgrades. But both Thraikian and Galatian Colonists have upgrades.