Page 31 of 65 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536373839404156 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35 released!

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post

Anatolia is going to be a much less hospitable place with the patch, there'll be Pisidians and Galatians to deal with for the human player there.
    As long it is not something that goes on forever without any reasonable explanation - like the silly numidian raiders script - I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    As long it is not something that goes on forever without any reasonable explanation - like the silly numidian raiders script - I am all for it.
    this, as the conqueror, you shouldn't face more raids, this method used with Makedonia is effective and logical, so why Carthage has to face more scripted raids after conquering Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    this, as the conqueror, you shouldn't face more raids, this method used with Makedonia is effective and logical, so why Carthage has to face more scripted raids after conquering Africa?
    Because there's the trackless wastes of the Sahara which Carthage could never subdue. Same as the Steppe and Arabian raids that the Seleukids have to deal with, when those nomads have effectively unlimited space to retreat into, they cannot be pacified.

The Galatian raids end by 200BC. The Pisidians by 216BC. Even the mountain fastness of the latter can be isolated eventually.

Because there's the trackless wastes of the Sahara which Carthage could never subdue.
    It does makes sense. Still, could we do something to make those raids less standardized? Like include a big raid from time to time or several small scale raids in multiple regions instead of only one in the same single region?

Pontos is rather difficult and challenging in the early-to-mid game.

It has only one city, surrounded by rebels and it's stacks devastating your income. Galatia especially will besiege your city if it doesn't have enough garrisoned units.

Sinope is out of your reach since you'll be immedietely be at war with the Ptolemaioi and will spawn a stack that you'll be hardpressed to counter early so you'll have to conquer Trapzeion and endure crippling debts.

Even worst is that you'll be in-danger and surrounded no matter where you expand as one moment in my Pontos playthrough Armenia and Pergamon decided to declare war against me.

To the East, you have the Armenians and their power cavalry units and to the West is Pergaman and it's mighty Hellenic Roster. Pontos early roster is basically a jack-of-all-stats master-of-none.

1. I've also noticed in my playthroughs that the armies of the other factions have a noticable tendency to become rebels, especially do to the fact some stacks have no Generals and even then that's not a guarantee.

2. The Saba still have units yet to be completed right? The Sabean Cavalry Militia for instance?

If you want to get money as Pontos early...there's another settlement, south of Mazaka that's surprisingly rich, despite being in the interior without a port. I forgot the name, but that should be your second conquest...as lnog as you used your initial funds to recruit some cost-effective units, you should get it early and then turtle until you can build a new decent army.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    If you want to get money as Pontos early...there's another settlement, south of Mazaka that's surprisingly rich, despite being in the interior without a port. I forgot the name, but that should be your second conquest...as lnog as you used your initial funds to recruit some cost-effective units, you should get it early and then turtle until you can build a new decent army.
    South of Mazaka you got Tarsos which is owned by the Seleukids. Unless you mean Ani-Kamah, which at start is a village, and is also to the north of Mazaka.

Folks, I am able to build the first level of polis in regions that have the allied oligarchy/democracy government type. Regions that aren't exactly all that Hellenic. Is there a historical basis for this?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Folks, I am able to build the first level of polis in regions that have the allied oligarchy/democracy government type. Regions that aren't exactly all that Hellenic. Is there a historical basis for this?
    All your barbaroi are belong to us, Rad.

But yes, there is a historical basis for this, i.e. Greeks establishing a colonial polis in virgin territory where no Greek-style polis existed beforehand. The Archaic Greeks did this all over the Mediterranean, in Spain, France, Italy & Sicily (+Sardinia), Libya, Albania, Bulgaria, and Ukraine. And they did this long before even Alexander the Great, in full battle regalia, marched triumphantly out of the womb of his mother Olympias as she gave birth to him. Classical Greeks established poleis all over the place, and even the Macedonians established Greek cities like Philippopolis in Thrace on the site of a formerly Thracian town! And he did so immediately. It didn't take decades and decades to Hellenize that area. It was settled immediately per state policy and Philip II's royal prerogative.

Other patterns of colonization were more gradual, like when the Phocaean Greeks established Emporion (modern Empuries) in Catalonia, Spain, first building a smaller old city on an island before building the neapolis (new city) on the peninsular mainland of northwestern Iberia. This occurred with a gradual wave of migrants from the original Ionic Greek mother city in Anatolia, spurred by events like the wars with the Persian Empire. In Egypt, the Archaic Greek city-state colony of Naukratis was founded in the 6th century BC when the native Egyptian pharaoh Amasis II decided to settle down Greek mercenary soldiers and their families so he could have a ready supply of capable fighters when he needed them to tackle Egypt's foes (and to keep the Greeks in one area where he could watch over them and allow them to conduct trade with other Greeks, for the economic benefit of Egypt).

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    It does makes sense. Still, could we do something to make those raids less standardized? Like include a big raid from time to time or several small scale raids in multiple regions instead of only one in the same single region?
    I'll have to think about it. That complicates what is a simple script.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    1. I've also noticed in my playthroughs that the armies of the other factions have a noticable tendency to become rebels, especially do to the fact some stacks have no Generals and even then that's not a guarantee.
    Captain-led stacks are more likely to revolt. The AI only gets 25% of the chance compared to the human of revolts generally, but that means it will still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    2. The Saba still have units yet to be completed right? The Sabean Cavalry Militia for instance?
    Nope, Saba don't have any native cavalry. The horse wasn't a feature of local customs in the south. There's a noble camelry unit still to come, but otherwise all the horse comes from outside.

The polis is a civic institution, not a military one. It happens to have military benefits, but as Roma Vitrix said, they were all over the place in the original wave of colonisation. If you have colonists to spare and it meets the bare requirements, then yes you can plant one. In the most marginal regions it's not necessarily a good use of a scarce resource, given the pools you get aren't very good.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; February 14, 2019 at 09:25 PM.

The polis is a civic institution, not a military one. It happens to have military benefits, but as Roma Vitrix said, they were all over the place in the original wave of colonisation. If you have colonists to spare and it meets the bare requirements, then yes you can plant one. In the most marginal regions it's not necessarily a good use of
    With the public order bonus, they'll come in handy, especially in preventing things like the 18th battle of Axum.

Forced Diplomacy simply refuses to work for me, I can't force factions into an Alliance with me (I am the Seleucids).

Also rebel settlements have no garrisons, and I was not at war with Ptolomeys, I am really confused now.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; February 14, 2019 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Forced Diplomacy simply refuses to work for me, I can't force factions into an Alliance with me (I am the Seleucids).
    The AI has to be capable of accepting the conditions you are asking of it. You may be at war with someone else they are allied to, thus they cannot accept an alliance.

Also rebel settlements have no garrisons, and I was not at war with Ptolomeys, I am really confused now.
    I don't understand the question.

The AI has to be capable of accepting the conditions you are asking of it. You may be at war with someone else they are allied to, thus they cannot accept an alliance.

With forced diplomacy on, the AI only refuses when you ask for money, otherwise they always accept, I think something went wrong with the installation on this PC. Cause added the forced installation by Witnawar and it worked.

I don't understand the question.
    It wasn't a question, I was just stating it. I was and still am confused, I think something got messed up in the installation for EB. Don't you think its weird rebel settlements have no armies and garrisons, all factions have blank diplomatic relationship? I also got no scripted messages.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; February 15, 2019 at 06:57 AM.

Civis

Excellent and magnifique job dear all!
    "A people with no history is a people with no future" - Nicolae Iorga

There's more work to be done, don't let them be drunk on praises just yet

With forced diplomacy on, the AI only refuses when you ask for money, otherwise they always accept, I think something went wrong with the installation on this PC. Cause added the forced installation by Witnawar and it worked.

It wasn't a question, I was just stating it. I was and still am confused, I think something got messed up in the installation for EB. Don't you think its weird rebel settlements have no armies and garrisons, all factions have blank diplomatic relationship? I also got no scripted messages.
    That definitely sounds like a messed up installation, with the script and other elements not working.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

I got the mail upgrade for Liby-Phoenician infantry after the first reform (237BC). Is that intended, I thought it was only after the second reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    I got the mail upgrade for Liby-Phoenician infantry after the first reform (237BC). Is that intended, I thought it was only after the second reform.
    I think you only get one armor upgrade for the Carthaginian units now.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

I think you only get one armor upgrade for the Carthaginian units now.
    Yup, I know, but I thought the mail upgrade was intended to go after the second barcid reform, not the first.